gannon46

so much for the struggle

I wasn't really referring to anyone specifically but cheers for the rant. I also I didn't say that cheating or exploiting are valid play styles. I thought that would be a given.

Nice people are very few and far between and it's futile to try to impose some form of moral code on other players.

The real trick is retaining your morality when you are faced by the worst, even when it would be advantageous to lower yourself to their level. I don't care that others have let the apocalypse turn them into animals. I only care that I am still a good man.

• Like 1

I think my post could have been taken as complaining as well and I'm not. I just don't get how killing someone who isn't even close to a threat is fun. I'm now playing with my son and in all likelihood put in that position I would have to arm my children and take them out to forage and scavenge for the family's survival. The people you met would be just as likely to be an asset and bottom line if you run around in an apocalypse killing everyone you'll ensure mankind's demise. I don't specifically roleplay but the game has a motif built in why not use it instead of making another game within a game seeing as how there are so many "start off geared and kill" games already made.   

I think my post could have been taken as complaining as well and I'm not. I just don't get how killing someone who isn't even close to a threat is fun. I'm now playing with my son and in all likelihood put in that position I would have to arm my children and take them out to forage and scavenge for the family's survival. The people you met would be just as likely to be an asset and bottom line if you run around in an apocalypse killing everyone you'll ensure mankind's demise. I don't specifically roleplay but the game has a motif built in why not use it instead of making another game within a game seeing as how there are so many "start off geared and kill" games already made.   

Maybe we have to wait and see what features get introduced to encourage more than loot and shoot .I would love to have entire towns held by clans that you can parley with and trade but i highly doubt it will ever eventuate  nice vision though 

I really like the whole medical systems but it is almost redundant to play as a medic right now but i still hold hope 

But in all seriousness try a handful of private servers you might get ghosted but the ghost will be just as shocked as you are when you spot each other and you cannot server hop gear that is pretty much the primary point of a private server 

i personally have 3 private servers i play on and i use public for PvP when i feel the desire 

Heaven on a biscuit is a pretty good and usually mid to high pop 3rd person server

Hell in a hand basket is without a doubt the best 1st person server

Heres the justification for server hopping in .55:

Some servers were actually broke, and had no loot, so you had to server hop until you found a working one so you could play the game.

No thats no justification, its more like cheating. I played on private servers which were the brokest and it was a pain in the ass but serverhopping would've have done nothing to cure it. You don't HAVE to play with the same character all the time, you can just make a new one. Its actually quite fun(not in broke 0.55 though). I probaly have ten or fifteen different characters running right now and only four are decently geared and I dont play those much as the most fun is gearing up a new one.

Maybe we have to wait and see what features get introduced to encourage more than loot and shoot .I would love to have entire towns held by clans that you can parley with and trade but i highly doubt it will ever eventuate  nice vision though 

I really like the whole medical systems but it is almost redundant to play as a medic right now but i still hold hope 

But in all seriousness try a handful of private servers you might get ghosted but the ghost will be just as shocked as you are when you spot each other and you cannot server hop gear that is pretty much the primary point of a private server 

i personally have 3 private servers i play on and i use public for PvP when i feel the desire 

Heaven on a biscuit is a pretty good and usually mid to high pop 3rd person server

Hell in a hand basket is without a doubt the best 1st person server

I think as the game matures so will the playerbase and we'll start to see things like a medic being valid and areas accessible yet secured by "factions" I hope.

I was playing privates but I'm on satellite internet with a perpetually high ping limiting my choices to ones that were "on their way out" it seemed. I played on a "broken" one in the first release of .55 and actually loved it taking 2 days (I play 4+ hours a day) to get rid of hungry/thirsty and find a gun and appropriate bullets. 

Junior and I have been invited to a 1pp public that seems worth making a home on and have had a rollercoaster of struggling to survive and one heart pounding "interaction" so far. The last 2 days moving along the south coast has been what I want to see from this game.  

Guys, chill down, look the sad reality is that, there are more casuals out there that do not have the luxury of time.

I for one loved and hated it, but once I died a few times, I gave up, to much time invested in gearing up and farming to stay alive, I had no time for anything else.

So the game died for me because it was just to time consuming to struggle, and sure playing alone made it more easy but as a team, whenever a teammate died it was just a disaster, we had to try to meet up with him and try to keep him alive.

And military loot was broker and zombies 1 hitting.

Dont get me wrong it had great ideas but, it became to time consuming, its already time consuming enough, with that I mean the % of walking in this game, which would be fixed for me with bikes lol.

NO.

This argument would only work in a game that when you turned it off, you were reset back to the start. In a persistent game, you can play for an hour and stop, come back and pick up where you left off.

So if we plan to head from devils castle to the ship wreck for example, we'd start our journey looting and hunting / whatever as we made our way there. We get half way there before our wives tempt us with their sexy lingerie and we tell them we just need 10 more minutes.... (btw we're on teamspeak - our wives didn't walk into the same room we're in, playing with each other. I mean playing dayz together. ;))

So the next day we, log in, did we not make progress the day before? What in a survival game needs to be done with such speed? You're trying to survive - that's the point of the game so what's the rush? If all you're interested is in finding a gun quick and pvp then....

We complain about how this is becoming a shitty codfest and no one listens.

We complain about how cross platforming will dumb down the game for console noobs and well suffer, still no one listens.

THEY complain about not being able to find AMMO to pvp with and the whole damn game is updated for them.

THIS!

character's an inch from death by the time you realize you're on the wrong server.

you (the minority hardcore mode braggarts) have the power to make the game as hard as you want, even in its current state.  you don't HAVE to pick up all the stuff that lying around.  go for it.  feel free to play the game standing on your head or with the monitor turned off.  but the problem (yes there was a problem, acknowledged by the devs not just imagined by the 'CoD people') was real, and fixing it however they needed to was the correct action.  sorry for the inconvenience.

OMG lol

An inch from death? Have you not heard of apple trees and berry bushes? Do you even know how to make a stone knife? If that is hardcore mode then I don't know what to say.

I dunno, after Hicks comment about night time and how they "have to balance it for everyone" I'm really starting to have my doubt's about DayZ being the hardcore survival game.  

I joined a 3pp private hive yesterday as a fresh spawn in Cherno. I made it to pavlovo base before I starved to death. No loot, no foraging, no living. I then joined a 1pp private hive and spawned in solichny as a fresh spawn again. This time, when I was orange hungry in Polana, I foraged apples for 5 minutes until I was yellow hungry. Made it to gorka, looted, found a sporter and a box of rounds, foraged up to yellow hungry, hit novy.

By this time I had all of the supplies to either hunt or grow crops except for matches or a water bottle. And all of this in jeans, a leather jacket, and a 12 slot courier bag. I had spent maybe 90 minutes crossing the map, and probably 10-15 of those minutes foraging. I could have easily crossed the map with this strategy.

When I got to veresnik military base I hit loot nirvana and made it out with an assault rifle, completed chest carrier, silenced makarov, backpack, the complete kit.

Here is my point: that 2 hour journey across the eastern half of the map kinda sucked. It was mildly stressful, and made me even more upset at myself for having died and lost my avatar in the first place. That relatively less enjoyable chapter in my character's life has made me value what I have now that much more. I don't want to have to experience that again. I think this is a very important thing to consider.

Yes, foraging sucks. But if you are diligently looking for the supplies you need to acquire food in less tedious ways, you won't have to forage forever. It's just for the first part of your life. And then it's over! You've found cooking supplies and now you can hoard food and thrive. It's no worse than grinding levels in an MMORPG.

If we had to feed our characters by foraging forever, this game would very quickly lose it's charm. But the way people are whining about having to do it at all makes me sad. I mean, if finding food were a given, why incorporate it into the game at all? Just so we get to watch him/her gobble down cans of food every hour or so?

TLDR; being a fresh spawn sucks more now. Makes me appreciate not being a fresh spawn even more. Whiners gonna whine?

Pretty much how everyone that wants to survive, plays the game. I do pretty much exactly what you do however I enjoy it. Making that break from hopelessness to cheerfulness is a fun process and challenging enough. It also sets a survival instinct in your head too. You spend time working your character up, the more effort you make, the more intense it is when you get into a fight, knowing you might have to start over again.

Why is not having time even part of this discussion? I would think that the simple solution to that would be to not play games you don't have time for.

I'm sorry, but games aren't made around your schedule. Make better choices on what to play with your limited time.

• Like 2