HarryPotter (DayZ)

So the way I read it was that the devs are going back to 0.54 loot system?

As the Status Report calls out, we discovered issues with loot respawning. There is -zero- changes to persistence. 

In order to resolve the issues caused by the bugs discovered in loot respawning, all servers had their persistence reset. Be aware, as the report calls out - Private Shards still have the ability to reset their persistence for the remainder of the month.

As with -ANYTHING- in the Early Access, there is no guarantee that your character, tents, etc are 100% safe. 

There was no roll back, despite some terminology used. All that we did was switch the stable branch servers to spawn loot using the old placeholder system while we work on resolving the bugs discovered - and when 0.56 update comes out we'll turn the proper loot spawning system back on.

Its still there, don't worry folks - we're just working on resolving the bugs causing issues with the loot respawn system making a mess of things after a week or so of active play.

Thanks for the clarification.

Do you guys already have know if the persistence will be reset again with the 0.56 update/new loot system? Would like to know that, if it does I'm not going to bother with setting up tents, backpacks, etc.

Thanks for the clarification.

Do you guys already have know if the persistence will be reset again with the 0.56 update/new loot system? Would like to know that, if it does I'm not going to bother with setting up tents, backpacks, etc.

Well, as I said - there is no guarantee on these things during development. However there is no scheduled/planned reset of local server persistence any time soon.

• Like 3

Well, as I said - there is no guarantee on these things during development. However there is no scheduled/planned reset of local server persistence any time soon.

I am fully aware of that and won't be disappointed, pissed or what ever if it does reset, that's why it's alpha. However with such a big update to the loot system there would be a greater possibility that the persistence would get a reset. Knowledge is power, that's why I asked. ;)

Keep up the good work.

I played last night and didn't find any more loot then when 0.55 first appeared. Which is fine since I expected as much.

But I do think the devs need to fix the zombies hitting you through walls, when you're standing behind them, and when you're several yards away from them. I know it's alpha, but now that the zombies are more active in the game they should work better.

I dont know why the loot table had to go back to 0.54,I had no problems finding loot.

Out of the 1875 servers,there were 1100 serves with zero players,little over 500 with 10 players and less,with a hand full of populated servers,

At the time a total of 3070 players on line .

Coincidentally the hotfix as it called was put in place two days later.

Good bye eazy looting.now Ill have full servers to fight over the loot

Awaits ban

Edited by AussieBobby

I dont know why the loot table had to go back to 0.54,I had no problems finding loot.

Out of the 1875 servers,there were 1100 serves with zero players,little over 500 with 10 players and less,with a hand full of populated servers,

At the time a total of 3070 players on line .

Coincidentally the hotfix as it called was put in place two days later.

Good bye eazy looting.now Ill have full servers to fight over the loot

Awaits ban

dont play at 4:52 AM

As a newbie, 2 week old tester, i have only known the 0.55 system. I was used to it. I adjusted myself accordingly, and after 25 hours, i stopped dieing, i survived. Barely at start, much better after 45 hours into the game. It was a challenge that was overwon, goood fun! Tuesday when the servers went down, i had finally found my long sought after military tent. It took 10 hours roughly. I picked it up, left my hunter backpack and ran up a mountain and found a good spot. I pitched it, and than the servers went down. #Oeps. Wednesday evening, still a bit up said of loosing my gear, i have found soo much gear that the thrill is a bit lost. (have 7 military tents filled with gear clothes and food).

Today, i went scavenging trough Vybor, finding soo much foods and drinks that basically 3 decent houses are good enough to survive on. What i am saying is: for my feeling, with the new system the risk/stakes were alot higher.

Edited by Hemmo NL

As a newbie, 2 week old tester, i have only known the 0.55 system. I was used to it. I adjusted myself accordingly, and after 25 hours, i stopped dieing, i survived. Barely at start, much better after 45 hours into the game. It was a challenge that was overwon, goood fun! Tuesday when the servers went down, i had finally found my long sought after military tent. It took 10 hours roughly. I picked it up, left my hunter backpack and ran up a mountain and found a good spot. I pitched it, and than the servers went down. #Oeps. Wednesday evening, still a bit up said of loosing my gear, i have found soo much gear that the thrill is a bit lost. (have 7 military tents filled with gear clothes and food).

Today, i went scavenging trough Vybor, finding soo much foods and drinks that basically 3 decent houses are good enough to survive on. What i am saying is: for my feeling, with the new system the risk/stakes were alot higher.

Well this is alpha you have to understand so there are going to be allot of "highs" and "lows" in the game. Don't get to attached to your gear but i know it can be hard especially when you survive so long in game just to be cheated by a roll back or some kind of instant kill glitch or bug. If it gets to much just take a break for a bit than come back and play on the next patch to see if you like it better.

• Like 2

I stopped playing with 0.55 - I like the survival game but I don't like the direction of hoarding in tents to survive and strugging to fine one can of beans for 3 hours then getting one-hit-killed by a zombie.  It's just un-enjoyable game mechanics rather than 'hardcore'.  

0.54 loot had problems but 0.55 direction was just wrong.  

• Like 1

we should stage a protest and perform a mass suicide ..50/50 50 suicide in server and film it haha

I'd like to see loot "storms" in dayZ one week there's loot. The next not so much.

Good for them, they recognized a mistake and fixed it. Apparently loot bombs on the shitter weren't really the realism they were targeting.

Now, for the love of God. I could seriously develop a modest loot spawning system in about 30 minutes. I have no idea what the dev's issues are with this. To be honest, I think they are just experimenting with code right now.

<For example>

A hammer is designated a "utility" item.

A "utility" item can spawn in "utility" areas (80%), "residential" areas (10%), "military" areas (5%), "police" areas (2%), "farm" areas (3%). 

There can only be 105 hammers on a server.

</Example>

Set the label and percentage for each item and you are done.

Edited by treetop82
  • Like 1

dont play at 4:52 AM

The peek players was 10,172.

Then the hotfix was put in place and the "Great player crash of 0.55" stoped.

Good for them, they recognized a mistake and fixed it. Apparently loot bombs on the shitter weren't really the realism they were targeting.

Now, for the love of God. I could seriously develop a modest loot spawning system in about 30 minutes. I have no idea what the dev's issues are with this. To be honest, I think they are just experimenting with code right now.

<For example>

A "utility" item can spawn in "utility" areas (80%), "residential" areas (10%), "military" areas (5%), "police" areas (2%), "farm" areas (3%). 

</Example>

People thinking everything is as simple as that is the problem with democracy.

• Like 2

<For example>

</Example>

Wow, if only the devs knew how easy it was. You sir have me utterly convinced that there is nothing more to it than that.

Please, please, please get in touch with BI (or indeed any games company) with your amazing knowledge of coding/programming and surely they will not only give you a job but likely start you at the very top of the dev team (if you're lucky maybe even CEO) because I'm sure no one there has thought that items should spawn in specific areas a certain percentage of the time...

+edit+ for those that were unsure, al of that *points at what I've written above* is PURE sarcasm.

Edited by stinkenheim
  • Like 2

<For example>

</Example>

With your example there is a great possibility that 105 unreachable hammers will spawn. It is not quite as easy as you think.

They use static spawn points so that loot isn't everywhere.

People think that spawning loot is an easy thing. Unless you want an easy system it takes more than your example.

<For example>

</Example>

What you're outlining is very similar to how loot spawned in the mod. Loot gets removed from spawn point, player leaves area. New/same player enters specified area, "random" loot respawns. While that worked pretty much right off the bat, it was also very easy to exploit.

Rather than server hopping for loot, players would "farm" loot by forcing loot to respawn in high value areas over and over again. It also didn't force players to move around the map very much. You (the whole server) could hangout around a big city or a military base and loot would continuously be made available.

The new loot system, while much more complicated and difficult to properly implement, is going to dramatically change the way we play the game. Survivors will no longer be able to get geared in towns x, y, and z, die, respawn, and loot towns x,y, and z again, and again, and again, and find the same quality and quantity of loot. That is the static gameplay we have now. Instead, we will have to explore the map and search different towns and even buildings to get what we need. In a way, every day you play will be different from the day before if you are playing on a high traffic server. One day the NWAF could have an AKM, an SKS, some vests, and some 7.62 rounds, while the next day, it only has makarov and a box of 9mm. So, you're forced to go find a different military base to find gear; as is the other guy who is looking for military gear. My hope is that this will force players into the same areas like we see in the survivor gamez.

I know your frustrated, but try to hav some faith. These guys aren't getting paid the big $$ for no reason. And dean wouldn't leave his million dollar idea with someone he thought would bastardize it. Be patient.

Good point, Dagwood. I like the idea of loot spawns forcing us to move around the map.

The spawns, however, should adjust as well. If the loot spawns in the northern half of the map, and you're spawning on the southern most shores then you're screwed.

But, yes, move the loot around the map. That would make the game more fun and challenging. And it would keep the game fresh as it would also support the creation of more towns, locations, etc.

There is one thing I would really really like to see when the system is complete and that is a loot 'honey pot'....extremely rare and in a random out of the way location. In the event of am apocalyptic event there would bee the odd person who stored guns ammo and food in a bunker/shed etc out in wilderness, they would be the 'doomsday preper/planner' type of person. Finding that stash would be the golden moment like when they find that bunker in "The Road" thats full of canned food and drinks.. It fits with the theme of the game and imagine when the loot is really hard to come by in the future and stumbling upon it when you wet and starving out in woods!!

• Like 1

I know your frustrated, but try to hav some faith. These guys aren't getting paid the big $$ for no reason. And dean wouldn't leave his million dollar idea with someone he thought would bastardize it. Be patient.

dean could care less. he sold it for money and has now moved on. pretty sure he said on twitter he would ban anyone else that mentioned dayz on his feed. he did in fact say that.

dean could care less. he sold it for money and has now moved on. pretty sure he said on twitter he would ban anyone else that mentioned dayz on his feed. he did in fact say that.

If you have so little faith, why are you still on the forums? Not suggesting that you stop, just curious. And didn't he choose this guy as a lead producer when he was still part of the game?

If you have so little faith, why are you still on the forums? Not suggesting that you stop, just curious. And didn't he choose this guy as a lead producer when he was still part of the game?

its not DEAN that has investment into the game anymore. its HICKS. pointing out facts is all, when did i mention i had no faith? was it because i said persistence is broken? it is. again facts.

So loot and new players should spawn in lootzones: zones that contain relative more loot than compared to other zones. This should be non stationair system and gives thus so: non static spawnpoints, solves lootpiles (new players pick up- die and redistribute) and solves more issues