Sign in to follow this  
Striker2237

Well.....I'm playing again.....

Hey everyone! I was a highly active player in the mod before the hacking and exploits got freaking ridiculous.........anyway I'm back and playing the standalone (join back in on an apparently hard as hell patch with all the loot problems.....great lol!) and just had a few questions on how everything works, new stuff and all that. Oh and can I eat deer steaks without cooking them and not die?.....just kinda wondering because in the mod you could but now I'm hesitant to eat them as I know there is a disease system in place.  

Hey everyone! I was a highly active player in the mod before the hacking and exploits got freaking ridiculous.........anyway I'm back and playing the standalone (join back in on an apparently hard as hell patch with all the loot problems.....great lol!) and just had a few questions on how everything works, new stuff and all that. Oh and can I eat deer steaks without cooking them and not die?.....just kinda wondering because in the mod you could but now I'm hesitant to eat them as I know there is a disease system in place.  

You can get sick.

You can die.

• Like 1

Great lol.....how do I cook the things? Fire seems to work differently in the standalone than in the mod

Great lol.....how do I cook the things? Fire seems to work differently in the standalone than in the mod

What you will need: 

A knife/sharp object or an axe (or both)

rags (fire starter basically)

matches (to light the fire)

You need to combine a stick with a rag to create a fireplace kit.

From there you can either use an axe to chop down a tree to get logs, or a knife to get more sticks to use as fuel. (logs last longer) you can also use an axe to chop logs into thirds (sticks) incase you don't have a knife to get sticks from a bush.

One you have logs and/or sticks you need to drag them onto your fireplace kit.

-To Cook-

There are only three ways to cook.

You can either find a cooking pan/pot and put it on top of a portable gas stove with a gas canister connected, then put water in the cooking pot and then the meat, then turn on the gas stove and put your cooking pan/pot ontop.

or..

You can either find a cooking tripod and cooking pot, to add to your fireplace

or..

You can either find just a cooking pot, and dig for 8 stones to turn your fireplace into an oven to place your cooking pot inside of.

Once you have what you need to cook, you need to collect meat, put water in your cooking pot and put the cooking pot on the gas stove/in the oven/hanging from the cooking tripod.

Videos

Sorry it took awhile.. Hope I could help. ;)

Edited by therandomredstone
  • Like 5

Wow! Thanks alot! They really have come a long way from the mod! This is gonna be interesting.....how does one dig for rocks? And does a sword count as a knife/axe by any chance? lol! 

You really need water now?

Worked without before, but haven't been cooking for a while for I never find cooking pots.

Worked without before, but haven't been cooking for a while for I never find cooking pots.

you also need a spatula.  and an apron.  and oven mitts,  c'mon, did you think you could cook stuff in a survival situation with a just a fire?

p.s. as a new spawn once I killed and ate 2 chickens raw.  didn't get sick.  still starved to death like 10 minutes later though.  because 2 whole chickens is like eating air I guess.

Edited by Red_Ensign
  • Like 3

Wow! Thanks alot! They really have come a long way from the mod! This is gonna be interesting.....how does one dig for rocks? And does a sword count as a knife/axe by any chance? lol! 

Use the scroll wheel and click it in on ground that looks like this:

stoine-knife.jpg

(and a sword does work like a knife/sharp object. But it is an item of mass destruction, not a wood chopper ;))

Edited by therandomredstone

Yes. Otherwise the meat you cook will be cooked, but it will be "rare" and not fully cooked. Thus you will not get as much energy/hydration as you would if you put water in the pot. ;)

Ive eaten cow steaks with no worries, not all at once though, never been sick from them

Yes. Otherwise the meat you cook will be cooked, but it will be "rare" and not fully cooked. Thus you will not get as much energy/hydration as you would if you put water in the pot. ;)

Nice. Thanks.

• Like 1

Currently we are on the bare bones cooking system. Cooking on a stick will be coming soon and I'm sure cooking on a rock will be available in the future.

Spent 6+ hours looking for a cooking pot, finally found one in the town between Novo and Severgrad. Immediately found two more after that in the same town :) Now that I have a cooking pot I can't find any wildlife. I was tripping over them all the time it seemed prior to my cooking pot!

Edited by 8bit_Survivor

Spent 6+ hours looking for a cooking pot, finally found one in the town between Novo and Severgrad. Immediately found two more after that in the same town :) Now that I have a cooking pot I can't find any wildlife. I was tripping over them all the time it seemed prior to my cooking pot!

I find wildlife, aka other survivors, everywhere :p

Actually never ate human so far, but yesterday we almost did carve out some human steaks when the server went down. We were both starving in Berezino. After the restart we were able to find lots of food so didn't have to eat human meat.

Yeah, I installed today after some 6 months of pausing, and found myself a PvE server to play around without getting KoSed. Last time I played all server were in a hive.

Just when spawned (in Prigorodki) and went to the first house a zombie attacked me. I killed it with my bare hands (which was almost impossible before) and used my t-shirt for bandaging. Went to the other house and seen another (geared up) survivor through the window. He waved at me, I waved at him and asked him if he could tell me where I am, and maybe offer some help. He ran away. By the time I got outta house he was nowhere to be found. Okay, his choice, but I would always at least speak to a bambi (if not helping him) on a PvE server.

I kept the sea on my right side and went up to Elektro (boy if I knew Cherno is way closer) checking every house I could find and avoiding zeds. Up until Elektro I found literally nothing, except one hat. By the time I entered Elektro I was already starving (but hydrated as I found one water pump along the way). Inside Elektro, I found various axes, pants, coats, even a backpack. Almost anything but firearms, food, water or t-shirts. Then another zombie attacked me and I killed it with my axe, but I was bleeding. Checked like five more houses/buildings, nothing I could use to bandage or eat, but a lot of clothing and even antibiotics, painkillers, IV kit, bloodbag... I'm losing color already. A building. Noting up to the top floor. In the last room I checked there was a potato. I picked it up and clicked on "Eat potato". Om nom nom.

You are unconscious.

You are dead.

Damn, I was disappointed. I wanted to uninstall the game, but checked these forums to find out I'm not the only one with problems related to finding food. I might just give it another try.

The game is starting to become a real survival game. Head inlands for a better chance of finding food. Hunting and farming gets more important now but I still find loads of cans inland.

It's a shame that the other guy didn't even talk to you.

I'm surprised that you say that zombies are easier now.

Actually they are way more dangerous now. Before you could kill them easily withou getting hit. Now you always get hit.

Come on, seriously? They cant really hit you if their FOV is like 20m unless you walk right into them.

Dont get me wrong, i like them being so ridicilously easy for the time being since FPS/desync that makes  them so annoying.

they're not at all hard and hit for nonexistant damage most of the time.

I picked it up and clicked on "Eat potato". Om nom nom.

Fruits are generaly not worth it. Pumpkins are the shiet. I believe someone made a calculation, that if you  eat tomatos only, you will still die due to low food intakes.

Edited by halp

In my experience they always hit you when you go in a meele fight or try the old circle around them tactic.

It's true that their damage seems to be minimal but they cause bleeding quite often and I read many compaints of one hit kills (didn't happen to me).

The old zombies were easier. They would never get a hit in.

I'm not saying that the zombies are too hard, just harder than the old ones.

Avoiding and losing them is super easy now.

Hey everyone! I was a highly active player in the mod before the hacking and exploits got freaking ridiculous.........anyway I'm back and playing the standalone

..//..and just had a few questions on how everything works, new stuff and all that.

Hi Striker

No offence but yesterday you said " So I have been playing the standalone for a good bit and my dad wanted to try "

So if you have been playing for a good while I don't understand why you ask total beginners questions today, when you can find the answers easily in these forums, just by reading them. ? or just by playing ? or you already know the answers ?

anyway- you'll find plenty of honest help on these forums. Enjoy. Don't worry about hackers - there are two or three "old mod players" who ask exactly the same question, just recently. Check them out.

How's it going ?

xx

Edited by pilgrim

p.s. as a new spawn once I killed and ate 2 chickens raw.  didn't get sick.  still starved to death like 10 minutes later though.  because 2 whole chickens is like eating air I guess.

U need 2 more chickens and a drink !

60434-Blues-brothers-4-fried-chicken-qT1

• Like 1