Sign in to follow this  
FlimFlamm

How will vehicles work?

When the devs said that vehicles were going to be modular, what exactly did they mean?

Are we going to be able to build them from the ground up? Are we going to have to find them already spawned in and then add stuff to them?

Personally I think there should be a variety of vehicles that players with enough resources and the right tools can construct from the ground up, with different engines, tires, chassis, which all affect the behavior/performance of the vehicle.

Here is my suggestion thread for what I have personally envisioned: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/223703-modular-vehicles-what-are-they/

If I had to guess, I'd say pre-built cars you can fix with parts from other cars..

Ie, Your blue sedan's door is broken, but that red sedan has a perfect door on it, so you rip it off, now your blue sedan has a red door.

I don't think we'll be building mozzies and such like overpoch. Atleast I hope not.

• Like 1

When the devs said that vehicles were going to be modular, what exactly did they mean?

Transformers? XD

I don't think we'll be building mozzies and such like overpoch. Atleast I hope not.

No but you can bet modding will make that happen as much as you dislike it. Its going to divide the community regardless when it does. Something ppl have been dreading for awhile now. But the only way to stop anything like that is to NOT support modding at all. Its the only way your not going to see ridiculous things put in.

• Like 4

I hope vehicles will be as detailed as posible. We saw alternator belt, spark plugs, and light bulb so far. We have variety of tools scatered around. I hope that getting old GAZ or Škoda in running condition will be quest that will last days, or maybe weeks. You find car in Stary Jar, but must go to Cherno or Elektro to find parts and then to Novodmitrovsk to find engine oil...

If I had to guess, I'd say pre-built cars you can fix with parts from other cars..

Ie, Your blue sedan's door is broken, but that red sedan has a perfect door on it, so you rip it off, now your blue sedan has a red door.

Basically this.  We will be able to do other modifications as well.  Like putting steel plate over a front windshield, wrapping the front with barbwire.  Maybe some Mad Max spikes on the bumpers.  We won't really know till they do it but that's the dream at the moment.  And no, we won't be doing scratch built gyro-copters from a lawn mower and 2x4s.

Chances are that in the end, it will be a complex system, but when they first implement it I sure it will just be a placeholder for a while (like everything else in this game). But I do hope to see the ability to build vehicles from the ground up at one point in time and if its not added to the base game I am sure there will eventually be a mod for it.

And no, we won't be doing scratch built gyro-copters from a lawn mower and 2x4s.

Modding will fix that issue as well lol.

My hope is that you can push cars.

So if you and some buddies find a non running car, you can push it to a different, secure location and then start hunting the parts for it.

Also hope mechanical symptoms are realistic.

Flat or ruined battery will mean when you try to turn it on, you get nothing or dim lights and clicking.

Crank it, but no fire could be fuel filter.

Overheating would be caused by missing fan belt or ruined radiator... Or no water.

And being able to improve parts would be ace. Make a fan belt out of rope.

I can only hope anyway.

Other question: Did somebody know if vehicles are persistence now? are they saving?

How will vehicles work I dont know, but how they should work I do know for sure:

- players should be able to push cars

- players should be able to shoot from cars

- players should be able to shoot from cars to INSIDE the cars (like if someone enters your car when you're unaware. When this happened back in the mod it all turned down to "who's has more patience" cuz the first to get out the car loses the vehicle)

- players should be able to crouch, stand, show half the body out the window when inside a car.

- vehicles should be reparable with pieces of other cars, maybe some rudimentary modifications for added armor or weaponery. Nothing too fancy.

- vehicles with flat tires should still work, much slower, but still work. Not like in the mod when a flat tire would just become a magically disappeared wheel and the car would get stuck.

Besides all that, I dont think anything less is needed. Especially not the "building your own car from scratch". We're on an apocalyptical world and yea, youre for sure gonna make your own car out of nothing only with a hammer and a screwdriver. Dont be so delusional...

Edited by p4triot

Other question: Did somebody know if vehicles are persistence now? are they saving?

Yes, they are saving. I have 2 tent and the cargo V3S hidden in the woods like 3 days. And every night, a little fairy, refill the deposit it for me.