boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

Call me a dreamer , but my incredibly high hopes say that eugen will come riding into my living room tomorrow morning on two fully grown arctic tigers (fully clad in spartan gear mind you , and that's eugen not the tigers), one tiger with blue eyes and one with jade green eyes, Eugen will be carrying a floppy disc labeled "dayz , V.56"

Upon which we will load it up in my famicom disc system , blaze pounds upon pounds , until he heroically states he has business elsewhere , in turn this takes him riding through my living room wall utop his tigers, and on his brazen face you can see it's clear of remorse for smashing my wall because like the kool aid man , only certain people can routinely smash through walls and be widely accepted for it . Eugen please crash through my house in your spartan gear to save my weekend !!! (Otherwise many innocents will die in dayz tonight ).

Wow.  Did we forget to take our Prozac again?  I guess so, bad Grapefruit kush.

Edited by Barnabus

Call me a dreamer , but my incredibly high hopes say that eugen will come riding into my living room tomorrow morning on two fully grown arctic tigers (fully clad in spartan gear mind you , and that's eugen not the tigers), one tiger with blue eyes and one with jade green eyes, Eugen will be carrying a floppy disc labeled "dayz , V.56"

Upon which we will load it up in my famicom disc system , blaze pounds upon pounds , until he heroically states he has business elsewhere , in turn this takes him riding through my living room wall utop his tigers, and on his brazen face you can see it's clear of remorse for smashing my wall because like the kool aid man , only certain people can routinely smash through walls and be widely accepted for it . Eugen please crash through my house in your spartan gear to save my weekend !!! (Otherwise many innocents will die in dayz tonight ).

This all sounded perfectly plausible, until you got to the part about the floppy disk.

• Like 3

What a shit day on dayz.  I have been killed twice by zeds from good health to dead in 4 hits.  Swapped a server and went from bright green hyd and energy to starving and dehydrated = death.  Then put a rucksack down so to scout an area out so I don't loose all my kit to a zed death to loose it from a server reset. And I hate the way zeds ruin your kit from 2 hits I think I might have to give this version a miss and try the next one. just need to get to my stash so as not to loose that.

Man, same here! I was on top of Rify last night and I was pretty well set, but I got worried because I started to lag so I joined another server. Well, I was on the other side of Rify in the water. I just called it a night. I logged in today only to find my legs broken and drowning. I removed all of my gear, but it was gone when I returned. I was just now in Cherno with a pretty decent amount of things (a rifle and a handgun) and a healthy character. I went to the top of a building and found a Mosin. I was about to pick it up and then I was dead. I am pretty sure that I fell through the roof because it was on a very low populated server... ugh. This game is so repetitive. The last handful of deaths have been from lag.

Edited by ShoobieStomper

The last handful of deaths have been from lag.

The strange thing about these lag deaths is: were you also reset to default character (screen message) right after the death message? A friend died to lag right in front of me, while I was "kicked off the game" an instant later. I could respawn, but his body wasn't there. I wonder if he glitched through the floor maybe. It was inside the hunting lodge.  

On another occasion it told me "your character could not be loaded (...)" on server restart, I instantly esc'd and logged on to my alternative server and my character was complete, no gear lost or reset. 

I am a bit scared of playing Dayz at the moment. I know we shouldn't get attached to stuff, but I'd feel bad to lose my character to lag and bug issues. It seems like even more loot explosions happen now than ever before. I mean I went through Zelenogorsk, Mogilevka and the Northern Military base and literally every house was so littered with loot - I was afraid to go in. This seems to happen only on the server that has day/nighcycles. On another server that is always day, I didn't have these kind of experiences.  

Edited by S3V3N

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, I searched the topic but didn't find any mention of it.

I've had a weird bug a few times now on this build, if I go unconscious from a non weapon sources(zombies, starvation ect) I won't wake up again. 

I had my friend with me, he said I got up, started moving around as I spammed buttons. But all I saw was still the "you are unconcious" screen. I could see the item bar when I changed items around, and could shoot and move around the world (although blind) logging in and out again just kills me.

Anyone else?

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, I searched the topic but didn't find any mention of it.

I've had a weird bug a few times now on this build, if I go unconscious from a non weapon sources(zombies, starvation ect) I won't wake up again. 

I had my friend with me, he said I got up, started moving around as I spammed buttons. But all I saw was still the "you are unconcious" screen. I could see the item bar when I changed items around, and could shoot and move around the world (although blind) logging in and out again just kills me.

Anyone else?

Try going to config and then video. See if that brings back your screen. I know sometimes i would get a blank purple screen after loading, i could hear sound as if i was ingame but it would stay blank screen. Just by going in to video settings brought my screen back and i was good to go. Maybe it could work for that as well?

• Like 1

Try going to config and then video. See if that brings back your screen. I know sometimes i would get a blank purple screen after loading, i could hear sound as if i was ingame but it would stay blank screen. Just by going in to video settings brought my screen back and i was good to go. Maybe it could work for that as well?

I'll certainly try. But that still doesn't explain why I die when I log out.

I think thats normal isnt it?

Only if my state is actually unconscious. If going to video allows me to see then it's a visual bug, not a state one.

Oh yeah for sure sorry. If the visual fixes it then definitely some bug saying youre unconscious when in fact you're not. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience with that can chime in and help you out lol

Yesterday i got the shit kicked out of me by an invisible zombie.  He ruined tow shirts and stuff in them. I didn't like it one bit, no sir.

The strange thing about these lag deaths is: were you also reset to default character (screen message) right after the death message? A friend died to lag right in front of me, while I was "kicked off the game" an instant later. I could respawn, but his body wasn't there. I wonder if he glitched through the floor maybe. It was inside the hunting lodge.  

On another occasion it told me "your character could not be loaded (...)" on server restart, I instantly esc'd and logged on to my alternative server and my character was complete, no gear lost or reset. 

I am a bit scared of playing Dayz at the moment. I know we shouldn't get attached to stuff, but I'd feel bad to lose my character to lag and bug issues. It seems like even more loot explosions happen now than ever before. I mean I went through Zelenogorsk, Mogilevka and the Northern Military base and literally every house was so littered with loot - I was afraid to go in. This seems to happen only on the server that has day/nighcycles. On another server that is always day, I didn't have these kind of experiences.  

No, I wasn't reset, but I did die so I guess it's the same thing. :-/ I have seen a lot of loot explosions, too! That has to be what's causing it. There is one server that lags like crazy and the desync is horrendous...

Only if my state is actually unconscious. If going to video allows me to see then it's a visual bug, not a state one.

That sounds like an unknown bug afaik , I would log it into the bug tracker so we don't keep seeing it :( .

Also is this normal?

Happened when rolling prone in a pumpkin field. I was able to move around invisibly while my torso floated above the pumpkins. 

Also is this normal?

-vid-

Happened when rolling prone in a pumpkin field. I was able to move around invisibly while my torso floated above the pumpkins. 

Considering this is DayZ, it is pretty normal.

Does any body else keep coming here in the hope there is a wee tweet from Eugene saying  new EXP patch incoming :( ?

• Like 1

So I took a break for a week or so when the loot system was reverted for 0.55 after the difficulties. I've played a couple hours this morning though and I'm having that nice refreshed look at Chernarus. While I realize this playstyle isn't for everyone, I've started playing by not eating anything that I don't forage/hunt/grow and this with the new zombies keep even a completely solitary experience a nice way to spend a couple hours. I tend to go very slow-paced and just enjoy the scenery while grabbing a berry here and there or more recently planting a crop of potatoes as I try to get fully green energized for the first time. My only player interaction involved some dude smacking me in the back of the head with a sledgehammer - he was a nice guy though and let me live, only taking a few of my rags. I suspect he attacked because I couldn't voice communicate at the time as my baby daughter was sleeping in the same room, sometimes you have to take one for the team. All in all, thumbs up. Really looking forward to 0.56 though and fishing/bows working again.

Edited by Ebrim

Word to the wise — don't use the upper body clothing for storing anything at the moment. Put as much of your stuff as possible into your backpack or pants.

By using upper body pockets, you not only risk the stuff inside your jacket (and vest) being ruined from 3-4 zombie hits (and a sewing kit won't do anything for your binoculars ;)), but the more items you have stored inside a piece of clothing, the less it protects you from damage. Counter-intuitive, I know, hope it gets fixed soon-ish.

Even one item makes a difference.

Word to the wise — don't use the upper body clothing for storing anything at the moment. Put as much of your stuff as possible into your backpack or pants.

By using upper body pockets, you not only risk the stuff inside your jacket (and vest) being ruined from 3-4 zombie hits (and a sewing kit won't do anything for your binoculars ;)), but the more items you have stored inside a piece of clothing, the less it protects you from damage. Counter-intuitive, I know, hope it gets fixed soon-ish.

Even one item makes a difference.

I've had a similar experience, but for myself and my partner it has been our pants. Between trucks crashing into invisible structures or zombie attacks, we've been going through pants and boots at a ridiculous rate.

• Like 1

I've had a similar experience, but for myself and my partner it has been our pants. Between trucks crashing into invisible structures or zombie attacks, we've been going through pants and boots at a ridiculous rate.

Using the mouse to drive the V3S helped me greatly — haven't as much as touched a bush or a bollard in over a week.

Weirdly enough, it doesn't work the way it's currently assigned by default. The 'more left' and 'more right' bindings don't seem to be doing anything, so reassign mouse left and mouse right to 'left' and 'right' (just for vehicle, of course). I also unassigned mouse up and mouse down, because it was way too confusing to have it move the camera up and down while also looking around with TrackIR.

Speaking of that — the visibility from inside the V3S in 1pp is very weird. I never drove one IRL, but in DayZ the top edge of the windshield is very low (or the camera is too high), to the point where I have to stay hunched over (again, TrackIR) while driving it to see far enough ahead. But if you drive smoothly and with confidence, chances of ruining your pants are minimal. Less so for your passengers, but that's due to soiling (wimps!).  :D

Out of about 20 melee zombie encounters (sometimes more than one zombie at a time), I've not had my pants damaged even once — they seem to be targeting the torso and head exclusively, at least when you are standing and facing them.

I made similar experiences with the zombie damage, but for me it is also mostly the pants and secondly my helmets that get damaged. The firefighter helmet even got ruined by a zombie hit. 

Has anyone noticed strange behaviors on their plate carriers? I was stupid tired when I put mine together and had the CR75 already in the pouches. As I attached the pistol holster, the CR75 vanished and my magazine and silencer mysteriously popped back into the tent where I took them from. The pistol was gone, but the rest was just reset. Now the plate carrier behaves weird. I can't drag items around in it. If I do they either don't move at all, or just move to random spots. I can't drag items from the ground in there, either. Only if the inventory is full otherwise, or when I drag it on the name bar of the plate carrier will it work. I was happy to put one together, but they seem a bit buggy now.

Finally, I parked a V3S at a slight slope and with the zombies doing their dance on it, it slid down and ruined its rear tires. It respawned halfway in a tall wood fence, so I shot it once, which made it flip up into the air and come down exactly in a gap between fences. So it looks pretty perfect when it respawns now, but the fueltank is always empty. I fetched a gas can, filled 100% and I saw it fill up to ~20 liters. However, I got out and in of the V3S again and the tank was empty; I don't know if it would have started, I was waiting for a friend. So I wonder if that is a bug. It should restart with a full tank at least, but somehow the tank is always damaged, right?

Edited by S3V3N

Using the mouse to drive the V3S helped me greatly — haven't as much as touched a bush or a bollard in over a week.

Weirdly enough, it doesn't work the way it's currently assigned by default. The 'more left' and 'more right' bindings don't seem to be doing anything, so reassign mouse left and mouse right to 'left' and 'right' (just for vehicle, of course). I also unassigned mouse up and mouse down, because it was way too confusing to have it move the camera up and down while also looking around with TrackIR.

Speaking of that — the visibility from inside the V3S in 1pp is very weird. I never drove one IRL, but in DayZ the top edge of the windshield is very low (or the camera is too high), to the point where I have to stay hunched over (again, TrackIR) while driving it to see far enough ahead. But if you drive smoothly and with confidence, chances of ruining your pants are minimal. Less so for your passengers, but that's due to soiling (wimps!).  :D

Out of about 20 melee zombie encounters (sometimes more than one zombie at a time), I've not had my pants damaged even once — they seem to be targeting the torso and head exclusively, at least when you are standing and facing them.

You misunderstand. It isn't that I'm hitting structures that I can see and should avoid. I mean that there are invisible structures that one cannot see in many places around the map. As an example, on the northern road into the Myshenko Tent City/Mil base there is an invisible structure that will cause you to crash right on the road. For the most part, I can drive the V3S like a pro, now that I have really started trying to do it in earnest. One exception: twice in the same night, with two different trucks, I hit a fireplace that someone left in the middle of the road in Vybor. That was embarrassing.

Also, neither one of us have had our upper clothing items ruined much other than a couple of helmets by zombies. They have destroyed our pants far, FAR more often than torso items. We've had at least 100 melee zombie encounters I'd guess at this point.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

Every time I've had anything ruined by a zombie its the upper body clothing that goes first, then whatsever in it, then the stuff thats at the top of your back. Never pants. Rarely helmets, maybe because I don't wear them. But I go through so many jackets and shirts that i always try to carry an extra.

Also, yesterday it rained for the first time since 0.55 came out.

Just was farming again and cannot seem to get any seeds from produce anymore using a knife. Is this something intentional or a bug that I need to report?

Don't be afraid to take couple hits on yourself, you don't die from one or two or three hits in this game...

Except if you get hit enough times, you get spinal fracture and instantly die.

• Like 1