boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

Thank you all for the interesting information in this thread. I love this update and the new experience this game actually gives me. Awesome work by the devs till now, if it keeps developed in this direction I think this is going to be one of my favorite games of all times. 

Very nice Map and a reason to go a few hours on a hunting trip. ;) I'm also interested in the answer for the question from Lorax. He asked if "the red dots are actual spawn locations and the large circles represent an area of operation, meaning (n) number of animals will be present in a giving circle."

I really don't have this problem. As a lonly wolf I hardly came across anyone if I don't want to. Sometimes I follow people for 20 minutes just to decide that they are more harm than good. But I have way more contacts with friendly people now. Even freshspawns are so thankfully if you just give them a few more hours to live. :beans:

As a tip I would recommend to hang around parking lots where a lot loot spawns for instance in the east of Cernaya Polana.

I agree about the general attitudes of people.  Much improved now that survival is difficult, much better roleplay, etc.  That's all great.  And I see a few humans here and there, but it's truly difficult even when I go looking for them (including in the very spot you named).  I just like the new zombie dynamic and it would be more fun to play P2P and PvP in towns with zombie problems.  There's actually more of a call for heroes because ungeared people are in real zombie danger now; and there's more at stake (and I think parity) in PvP because zombies are invariably going to get into the mix, especially if there's gunfire.  Anyway, I love the update, just hope they somehow incentivize/facilitate P2P interaction somehow.

This is the main issue. If only spoiled fruit can be found per 100 houses which poison you to death anyway, it's impossible to contend with the game's survival mechanics. I fully support Rocket's statement that (and this is paraphrasing) the eat-drink cycle has to be sped up considerably because if survivalists only ate and drank and often as humans absolutely needed to, no one would ever leave the forest, and that wouldn't be an exciting game, but it's compounded by piss-poor spawns and the inability to distinguish server quality without wasting half of your character's life wondering if the population is 0 because the server just started or the 30+ loot clan just left.

Yeh, have to agree here. I don't really mind the eat/drink every 10 minutes aspect, but it's simply far, far too punishing on a new spawn at present. At the very least a new spawn should arrive with a full stomach and not an instant "I'm hungry" warning. Someone said to me the other day that new spawns should also arrive with a random item as the first thing everybody does is throw away the torch.

Knowing my luck I'd probably spawn with a Gingham dress 9 times out of 10. :lol:  >:( :(

Another thing, if picking apples didn't yield an "I've found not a thing" 29 out of every 30 times, it might make that a less ridiculous chore, as it's an essential chore now. Perhaps, the apple trees should be made slightly rarer? But, when a player discovers one, they don't have to dick about so much simply to get a few Granny Smiths? Perhaps, there should be an 80% chance to find a good apple, with a 20% chance of "This apple is rotten".

It should be possible to die of starvation/thirst in 'DayZ', but you should really have to be an idiot, new or extremely unluckly to do so.

At present, it's an OK (just OK) mechanic for the experienced to over come, (starvation/thirst that is), but I fear that new people looking at 'DayZ' may be put off. Eventually it will be ironed out (I think we'll see some serious changes in .56 too) and also eventually, I foresee a situiation whereby server owners will be given the power to choose item spawn rate too, within reason of course, and if people wish for an extremely punishing "hardcore" server with buildings full of dresses and teddybears, then they can go for it.

• Like 1

Sadly lost another 2 tents... and rare loot... tents are still broken, getting wiped on server resets, pitch at your own risk.

maybe its a sign, you know. stop hoarding.

Just wondering if its an issue specific to my rig or if anyone else is getting this visual bug with chain mesh compounds?? to me from a certain distance they look like a silver/blue wall until i get about 20 feet away then there mesh (this is just for the little compounds mesh not the standard mesh fencing you get around some yards and such...

2015-04-09_00002.jpg

What it actually looks like

2015-04-09_00003.jpg

This is a bug that everyone gets, this is not your computer's problem.

• Like 1

Another thing, if picking apples didn't yield an "I've found not a thing" 29 out of every 30 times, it might make that a less ridiculous chore, as it's an essential chore now. Perhaps, the apple trees should be made slightly rarer? But, when a player discovers one, they don't have to dick about so much simply to get a few Granny Smiths? Perhaps, there should be an 80% chance to find a good apple, with a 20% chance of "This apple is rotten".

The more authentic thing to do would be to make apples actual objects instead of a whole tree being an apple-giver object with an infinite supply and defined success percentage.

So, if a tree has been picked clean, it wouldn't have any apples rendered and spamming the pick action would do absolutely nothing.

Obviously, apples would need to regrow over time because of this. How many hours (or days) it takes would have to be tweaked down the line.

If an apple hasn't been picked for a while, it would start to slowly degrade, all the way to rotten.

Oh and, of course, there should be a chance of having worms in your apples, which may make you sick. ;)

The same approach can be extended to include berry bushes and other pick-able plants.

EDIT: This would make tracking easier as well — just follow a trail of picked apple trees. ;)

Edited by Veyda
  • Like 2

The more authentic thing to do would be to make apples actual objects instead of a whole tree being an apple-giver object with an infinite supply and defined success percentage.

So, if a tree has been picked clean, it wouldn't have any apples rendered and spamming the pick action would do absolutely nothing.

Obviously, apples would need to regrow over time because of this. How many hours (or days) it takes would have to be tweaked down the line.

If an apple hasn't been picked for a while, it would start to slowly degrade, all the way to rotten.

Oh and, of course, there should be a chance of having worms in your apples, which may make you sick. ;)

The same approach can be extended to include berry bushes and other pick-able plants.

EDIT: This would make tracking easier as well — just follow a trail of picked apple trees. ;)

I thought about this the other day, 2 models for bushes and trees one with fruit one without. Make them a container holding a set or random amount and switching models when empty. Then a certain time for them to replenish.

I noticed that dead bodies on inclines are still a problem. If someone dies on an incline, their body slides down the incline and you can view the contents on the dead body. However, you cannot do anything to the contents. You can't remove items, can't drop the items on the ground, can't put them on directly, can't put them into your own inventory... nothing.

My gut feeling says that the contents are located where the body was actually killed and that if there is too much of a distance between the physical body that slid down the incline  and the place where body was killed, then you can't remove any items.

This needs to be remedied. Soon.

Edited by sniperdoc
  • Like 1

maybe its a sign, you know. stop hoarding.

nah bro nah

Holding a pumpkin in your hand makes the hand crippled/invisible (sorry, dont have a screenshot, but looks funny). Also they give a lot of energy, but not much water. So its good to combine growing pumpkins and picking apples.

Cant find any cukini seeds, only peppers, pumpkin and tomatoes. Anyone having this problem?

• Like 1

Found two cooking pots and a large gas canister on my couple of hours adventure this morning as well as an ammo box, 2nd storage box and managed to swap my RAK for an MP5(don't know if that's good or bad! :p) with lots of clips, so hey someone will stumble across a nice horde of RAK with 6, 25 round clips!...you're welcome! ;)

Now just need to find another plate vest as I left one awhile back but now have a belt pouch just aching to be attached to one or a black high capacity vest to match my outfit, whatever comes first! :P

Also need a Hunter backpack, man had zero luck finding one of those yet!...

You should put this in the suggestions section of the forum.

I thought about the same thing, but didn't go as far as having the apples render. If rendering would be too hard, time consuming, or taxing to the server maybe just have a set number of tries that a tree could be subjected to by any player over a certain amount of time.  So if you come up on a tree that has already been hit by a player instead of getting "you found nothing" you should get "the tree  is picked clean" or something like that. I think that would be easier for the devs to implement and get close to the result we are looking for.

I wonder if people will ever use them as base camps one day. They have fences and gates. They are well hidden in woods.

Already thought about it too. Once reinforcement of structures are implemented each member of your clan could have a cabin to themselves :) 

whats the deal with crouching after stepping over a fence??

player randomly lays down to eat or pick something up.

not to mention the no loot making just about everyone hostile and killing anyone they can for meat. 4 times i was killed last night and every time i went back to the location to find bones. this lack of loot has dramatically reduced the interaction with players, you might find what you think is a friendly until your not looking then they attack you. i do hope they fix it, yes it was too easy before but this is just plain ridiculous and i dont hold out much hope when it is sorted being that much better.

Found two cooking pots and a large gas canister

where did you find cooking pots?

I thought about the same thing, but didn't go as far as having the apples render. If rendering would be too hard, time consuming, or taxing to the server maybe just have a set number of tries that a tree could be subjected to by any player over a certain amount of time.  So if you come up on a tree that has already been hit by a player instead of getting "you found nothing" you should get "the tree  is picked clean" or something like that. I think that would be easier for the devs to implement and get close to the result we are looking for.

These objects would actually be instanced, just like the other trees (I guess the trees are instances, not sure). This way you can have thousands of models and each new one only slightly increases the computing power. I'd actually be interested about which objects in the game are instanced and how far they go with it. Instancing saves tons of resources when you are placing identical objects anyway. Sometimes I am puzzled why Dayz's performance is so bad. Yes, it is a big map, but it should be streamed, instanced and baked, instead of having gazillions of dynamic objects.  

Holding a pumpkin in your hand makes the hand crippled/invisible (sorry, dont have a screenshot, but looks funny). Also they give a lot of energy, but not much water. So its good to combine growing pumpkins and picking apples.

Cant find any cukini seeds, only peppers, pumpkin and tomatoes. Anyone having this problem?

+1 for no zucchini seeds ... but if you need hydration, just drink from a well?

Concerning the apple tree discussion, I guess most would agree that picking apples and berries is grinding it through in really bad food situations. By making it less annoying apples would become normal loot that you just get. By introducing a limit and regrowth time, you make them normal loot no different from other things you find, only that everyone knows where they are. Then the apples and berries would have to be balanced together with every other food item that spawns on the map, I don't think we would gain anything from that. Might as well leave apples and berries out of the game then and say the season isn't right for them.

Apples/berries are not the only thing though, will ponds have a limited amount of fish then, too? One could argue that getting a fishing rod, hook and bait is enough to offer unlimited fish in ponds, I guess. But chicken feathers for example are something else ... all in all I don't think making apple trees / berrie bushes / ckicken coops / whatever I can't think of right now containers would improve the game.

Concerning the loot situation and the endless whining of ppl complaining about those whining about it, Hicks twittered about it, maybe that will help end / at least nerf that argument:

https://twitter.com/Hicks_206/status/587388074063200258

... now if we would only know if he is talking about the public shard where I find stuff in abundance or about broken servers in private shards or about ...

And something funny :) https://twitter.com/Hicks_206/status/587564851066753024

Edited by bautschi

My shoes got damaged when I jumped off the back of the truck. It seems they take some damage each time you get off.

Also, why doesn't any ammo for the M4 spawn. The only place I've seen it was a helicrash. And there is no point finding/visiting those at the moment. Why can't any update ever go right? It seems they always break 5 things when they fix 3... Defending this situation as a dev is ridiculous as we already pointed out in this thread that the alternative mechanics for survival (bow hunting, cooking) are broken. These aren't important to me, but to a fresh spawn they are. 

Growing impatient with this patch. Lot of good in it, but it's high time for a fix. 

Edited by S3V3N

I will, eventually. Right now I'm busy job-hunting and writing up a treatise on the 'Zeroing' mechanic (one of those ARMA legacies that everyone just sighs and accepts as is), scopes, wind and ballistics and how I personally think it should all come together to make firearms easy to use but hard to master (mil vs. MOA, anyone?), along with a boiled down version of about 30 topics on the same topic (sic) that are already there and that I had to sift through to get a wind of (pun intended) the prevailing opinion. Don't you hate it when people start new topics without using search first?

It could be as simple as having 3-4 tree models — tree 'full', tree half-full, only a couple apples left, tree barren.

These objects would actually be instanced, just like the other trees (I guess the trees are instances, not sure). This way you can have thousands of models and each new one only slightly increases the computing power. I'd actually be interested about which objects in the game are instanced and how far they go with it. Instancing saves tons of resources when you are placing identical objects anyway. Sometimes I am puzzled why Dayz's performance is so bad. Yes, it is a big map, but it should be streamed, instanced and baked, instead of having gazillions of dynamic objects.

Instancing would be yet another way to do it. No one here probably has enough knowledge of the inner workings of server-side object storage but the devs themselves. We can theorize all we want, til' we're blue in the face. Would thousands of tree containers with millions of apples increase storage requirements and slow things down? Most likely. By how much? See above.

Concerning the apple tree discussion, I guess most would agree that picking apples and berries is grinding it through in really bad food situations. By making it less annoying apples would become normal loot that you just get. By introducing a limit and regrowth time, you make them normal loot no different from other things you find, only that everyone knows where they are. Then the apples and berries would have to be balanced together with every other food item that spawns on the map, I don't think we would gain anything from that. Might as well leave apples and berries out of the game then and say the season isn't right for them.

Apples/berries are not the only thing though, will ponds have a limited amount of fish then, too? One could argue that getting a fishing rod, hook and bait is enough to offer unlimited fish in ponds, I guess. But chicken feathers for example are something else ... all in all I don't think making apple trees / berrie bushes / ckicken coops / whatever I can't think of right now containers would improve the game.

Of course! How could I have forgotten seasonality and the effect of weather on crop growth? Silly me.  :rolleyes:

You've raised a valid question, though — how detailed is detailed enough to be believable?

Should fishes be legitimate animals with their own AI, with schools of them rushing in all directions the moment you clumsily step into the pond or cast your shadow on it? Would most people even notice the difference? Should we chase chickens for their feathers and eggs? Should apples fall and roll around when ripe and the wind blows? Trade-off after trade-off after trade-off. It's all a question of whether it's worth the dev time and whether they're willing to go against the Pareto principle and make it perfect, and whether we, as a community, even want them to — after all, DayZ is not Star Citizen…

I, however, am pretty fond of how Rimworld models the plant/crop growth cycle. I don't think it would be that hard to implement something similar but, then again, I may be wrong — the size of the game world just doesn't compare.

EDIT: Just re-read everything I wrote and it looks like, after taking a few steps back to higher levels of conceptual abstraction and seeing the bigger picture, I ended up bashing my own idea to smithereens. Oops.  :blush:

Edited by Veyda
  • Like 1

They, do, been like that forever and will probably be like that for some time. Iirc the sound system is getting a complete overhaul / new implementation .. not sure which. We will have that till then.

Hope this will be soon, not like promised in the end of 2014...) It will be as great as optimization, I'am waiting it with impatience:)

Instancing would be yet another way to do it. No one here probably has enough knowledge of the inner workings of server-side object storage but the devs themselves. We can theorize all we want, til' we're blue in the face. Would thousands of tree containers with millions of apples increase storage requirements and slow things down? Most likely. By how much? See above.

I am not theorizing at all and this has nothing to do with server/non-server side storage. Instancing is simply a known method to deal with large numbers of the same model. You can even tweak each instance (e.g. change the color), in order to get some variation. I'd be very surprised if the trees in Dayz at this time aren't instanced. To clarify: there wouldn't be thousands of apples, there would be one; all others are its instances. 

As for the sound system: bloody great news! Can't come soon enough! My bluetooth headset and Dayz don't get along at all. I even get static noise, which is hilarious considering there are no cables. 

I appreciate that you can find water purification tablets more often now when you need them. My wish: Allow to combine them as ammunition, rags etc. Its hilarious to block a slot with 1 tablet. That counts for all the tablets and maybe some more items.

In general i would like to see a tweaked inventory system. You have to carry that much items now and even with all the maximum slot clothings and bags you have to decide all the time throwing usefull things away. Now that a group of Zs only exactly ruined my smersh vest with backbag (i am sad about it but don't complain about it) I ask myself how i should even start living in the woods if i can only carry the essentials to survive. Not talked about the tremendous water and food supplies you need if you only want to travel to the next bigger city without to risk becoming thursty and hungry.

So please increase the slots of several clothings (military pants with big saddle pockets should go (realistically!) with 8 slots and not only the M65 should have 8 slots at the jacket section).

Also please make half slot items and let us place two of them in one slot (battery, thermometer, pen, heatpack, map, epi pen, morphine auto injector, fishing hook, chicken feather, chemlight, ...). Again its hilarious to block a slot with 1 of these.

Over all I like the update because i had my good equiped char to start. Also it should be clear heading to the inland is clever and staying at the coast is not.

Although Zs are ultra and my ammo is flying away because we are chanceless without guns against them. I don't have to mention that we should hear them coming and they should stumble when they got hit (shot) and not rushing into you like a train. A LITTLE bit slower than a human would be also more what a Z is supposed to be. In movement and in handling. By now they are soundless Jackie Chans.

I know the loot system is on extraordinary experimental so i only mention that 2 weapon flash lights and the rest appearing as civilian junk (including a single trumpet) at a big unlooted military base in the west (over Zelenogorsk) is not a good mix you expect to and should find there. And i don't care if there are server hoppers who farm them dry every 15 minutes or there are already 200 AKs on the server. Finding nearly only books and dresses there is again hilarious. Not only for the reason that it is a game and not the nasty reality where we really would die for 90% in the first weeks or month. Because we all want to play DayZ and not a senseless death simulator. And for the reason this sound a little bit hard: I don't care if there is not everything for everyone in a squad but not a single military weapon, cartridge, clothing or equipment is one last time hilarious. :)

Thanks for the good update! I like the icons, animations, (sound!) fixes and so much more. Even the Zs. But tweak it all a little bit maybe like i wrote above. Thanks! :)

Now that I've put some serious time on this build, I gotta say: this was definitely the "TSN Turning Point" build.

I hope they don't roll back anything and continue to progress, move forward. It finally resembles something close to what we had in the mod. Canned food is rare enough to create tension when on the hunt for it. I'm watching my energy level way more than I used to. I'm sneakin' around avoiding zombies, getting in fights with them when I have to. I'm bandaging frequently, having to keep my rag supply up. I've had to get out of the grey multiple times on a single character. I'm running into people far more weary to engage, keeping an eye on you, but going about their business. Most likely in the grey and not wanting to risk taking a single hit. I've ran into dead bodies in random places and that's something that was missing for a very long time, but happened quite frequently in the mod. It's been nice.

Less than an hour ago I came across a body that had collapsed on a dirt road running along the side of a hill, about 200-300 meters north of Psta. A dead body that was not in a major city or mil zone, that was previously unheard of. I really felt for the guy too. He was so close to his salvation, another 200 meters down the hill and he would have found 3 cans of food at a small pod of houses. If he would of just drank the 2 cans of soda he had on him(soda gives you energy too) he would of made it to the 3 cans of food and I'd most likely be the dead one.

Why are you so sensible and reasonable. Shame on you. This game is broken. I want to be geared in 3 houses and ready to fight an infantry battalion. You can't possibly like this bullshit game. What are you stupid? A fanboy? Just the zombies alone. What the hell is wrong with you? You like this..this crap? You're a total noob to games, aren't you?

IF YOU CAN't FIGURE IT OUT THIS WAS ALL FUNNIN AND SARCASM.

I feel exactly like you Jubie and will probably be leaving the mod behind for good if it continues. I don't care who disagrees with me but this is still THE benchmark game for zombie survival. There is no equal. Period.

Sorry to you people who feel an only legitimate post is one that suggests or criticizes something. Conversations can be fun too you know. 

I appreciate that you can find water purification tablets more often now when you need them. My wish: Allow to combine them as ammunition, rags etc. Its hilarious to block a slot with 1 tablet. That counts for all the tablets and maybe some more items.

In general i would like to see a tweaked inventory system. You have to carry that much items now and even with all the maximum slot clothings and bags you have to decide all the time throwing usefull things away. Now that a group of Zs only exactly ruined my smersh vest with backbag (i am sad about it but don't complain about it) I ask myself how i should even start living in the woods if i can only carry the essentials to survive. Not talked about the tremendous water and food supplies you need if you only want to travel to the next bigger city without to risk becoming thursty and hungry.

So please increase the slots of several clothings (military pants with big saddle pockets should go (realistically!) with 8 slots and not only the M65 should have 8 slots at the jacket section).

Also please make half slot items and let us place two of them in one slot (battery, thermometer, pen, heatpack, map, epi pen, morphine auto injector, fishing hook, chicken feather, chemlight, ...). Again its hilarious to block a slot with 1 of these.

Over all I like the update because i had my good equiped char to start. Also it should be clear heading to the inland is clever and staying at the coast is not.

Although Zs are ultra and my ammo is flying away because we are chanceless without guns against them. I don't have to mention that we should hear them coming and they should stumble when they got hit (shot) and not rushing into you like a train. A LITTLE bit slower than a human would be also more what a Z is supposed to be. In movement and in handling. By now they are soundless Jackie Chans.

I know the loot system is on extraordinary experimental so i only mention that 2 weapon flash lights and the rest appearing as civilian junk (including a single trumpet) at a big unlooted military base in the west (over Zelenogorsk) is not a good mix you expect to and should find there. And i don't care if there are server hoppers who farm them dry every 15 minutes or there are already 200 AKs on the server. Finding nearly only books and dresses there is again hilarious. Not only for the reason that it is a game and not the nasty reality where we really would die for 90% in the first weeks or month. Because we all want to play DayZ and not a senseless death simulator. And for the reason this sound a little bit hard: I don't care if there is not everything for everyone in a squad but not a single military weapon, cartridge, clothing or equipment is one last time hilarious. :)

Thanks for the good update! I like the icons, animations, (sound!) fixes and so much more. Even the Zs. But tweak it all a little bit maybe like i wrote above. Thanks! :)

I run with a 6 slot upper body wear, a chest rig, 6 slot pants and an improvised backpack. Sometimes I am lucky and get an improvised leather backpack. It allows me to carry medical supplies (2 times rags and 2 splints or morphine at least), water bottles (always at least 2), a side arm or even a 12 slot automatic gun (mp5, aks-74u, ...) with mags, if I want that in addition to a mosin. I also have a knife, rangefinder, matches, I even keep a compass. I am sure I forget some stuff I keep, but you get the idea. A lot of things are useful, but you don't necessarily need to keep them on you. Eat all the food you find immediatelly, you can store immense amounts of energy (high energized starts at 3500 or 4000 energy or so, you can keep eating to 20000). Find seeds? Keep them till you find a shovel and plant them then, no need to have that in your backpack. A cooking pot uses 4 slots, but can also store items in 4 slots, no space lost. There are pvp ppl out there (not electro deathmatch) that survive many days till they get killed (not by the environment but players) who still play the game without backpacks.

Yes, it sometimes sucks to leave useful things behind, but working persistance and tents, barickading, .... should help there. Maybe we will get a more sophisticated inventory system, we will probably at least get a weight factor. Personally I think the Arma 3 inventory system is pretty good, it allows for both volume and weight consideration, but I guess they wanted slots, or they would have switched to it already. Of course the DayZ SA is somewhat nicer when looking for things, but the price is fixed volume slots right now...aka a fish hook having the size of a can of peaches.

Concerning inventory, I an getting fed up with the items shuffeling around when you log back in, I have quite often lost stuff, because the inventory shuffle when logging in resulted in bigger items going POOF, especially loosing an MP5 or AKS-74U is what I find quite depressing...

Edited by bautschi