boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

Oh, how come the SKS doesn't show how much ammo it in it? It only shows to have one round, but it says that it's full when I try to load it.

Eject the one round, then you can load it. You can only load when the gun is empty.

Have an empty space in your inventory when you eject rounds. If you eject rounds onto the ground they may vanish.

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

It seems like low value items are taking way, way too long to degrade. I logged off on a particular private hive server over 24 hours ago, logged in just now and the items I remember passing by yesterday are still there in perfect condition. If this is the way loot respawn works then eventually servers are just going to be chock full of completely worthless items that nobody picks up. 

stuff that is lying on the ground is spawned loot - it will just stay there

If you pick it up it becomes your loot - drop it again and leave it and it will vanish after a while

So if you find poor loot in a location, pick it up and throw it away .. after an hour or so when you check there will be new loot

If you leave the poor loot lying there without moving it, it will still be there tomorrow

ok, that's my take on it, tell me if I'm wrong

• Like 1

hey, anybody got a clue on if a server spawns more vehicles on restart when persistence is on? :o or will there always be the same amount of vehicles on a server..?

hey, anybody got a clue on if a server spawns more vehicles on restart when persistence is on? :o or will there always be the same amount of vehicles on a server..?

So there are x number of vehicles on a newly started server, restarts don't mean anything. If vehicles become damaged beyond repair, a new one will eventually spawn to take its place.

• Like 1

stuff that is lying on the ground is spawned loot - it will just stay there

If you pick it up it becomes your loot - drop it again and leave it and it will vanish after a while

So if you find poor loot in a location, pick it up and throw it away .. after an hour or so when you check there will be new loot

If you leave the poor loot lying there without moving it, it will still be there tomorrow

ok, that's my take on it, tell me if I'm wrong

I have no idea whether your wrong. Still the same problem either ways.

So there are x number of vehicles on a newly started server, restarts don't mean anything. If vehicles become damaged beyond repair, a new one will eventually spawn to take its place.

Yeah thought so too, just wanted to be sure. But thank you kind sir you can have my beans !

I caught 2 carp, skinned one with a pristine improvised knife and the other with a pristine kitchen knife. Both gave a small pile of guts. ??

I have no idea whether your wrong. Still the same problem either ways.

what was the problem ?

"" the items I remember passing by yesterday are still there in perfect condition. If this is the way loot respawn works then eventually servers are just going to be chock full of completely worthless items ""

no - the longer you leave them there without touching them, the longer they will stay there.

They already spawned once, do you expect them to change into different loot every 20 mins while you stand and watch?

stuff that is lying on the ground is spawned loot - it will just stay there as long as no one picks it up

but if you put something on the ground then sooner or later it will get cleaned up

try it - go find some boring loot, pick it up into your inventory and then drop it again.. go back an hour later and see if it is still there

xx

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/223307-central-economy/#entry2243705

Edited by pilgrim

Lol , hate to end your venom trip there basher but tents have been persisting for 2 days now.... Lol we have 5 of them set up for tatankos get together, so ya go have fun and set up a tent and don't worry because you can now literally find them in every town !

Edit : reports seem to state that very few servers are still eating tents ... Make sure to find two before placing one down , as it very well could disappear still if you happen to be on one of these servers (seems to be barely any now, but just be careful , we have 5 tents set down and they are still here , maybe try and find another one and set yours down on a private hive ?)

I'm in an bit of a unique predicament, the net code for this game is about as optimized as the graphics. I live in the boonies and have satellite internet for bulk bandwidth and cell for a speed but a 2 gig/month cap. I have to do the bulk of my play at a ping of 600+ because it'll tear through my 2 gigs of cell internet in 2 days. I'm stuck playing on servers with no BE ping kick which seems fairly limited, the one I like is a tent eater unfortunately.

I get the red I UNDERSTAND thingy but I don't have to like it.

My preferred play-style is an antisocial hermit so If I can't build a camp and skulk to and from it in the treeline and watch people run by and hope they don't see me there's not allot for me to do.  

Whee - I found a Rambo type knife, called survival knife, I think. Came across a few issues, mostly to do with vehicle spawns. It seems neither the truckspawns nor the choppers change location. So if you find one in a spawnpoint, it will be back at the same spawnpoint after the next restart. The trucks always despawn now and respawn at their original spawn. 

On my regular server tents still despawn after restarts. They used to stay on for weeks during 0.54.

I don't think matches spawn. Haven't found cooking pots or tripods as other people described, too. Neither did I see any propane cookers, gas canisters or gas lamps. The wooden barns seem pretty empty. Found plenty of other stuff. There are more magazines and scopes than I can carry. Not so many guns, almost no handguns. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

Lmao. My opinion of this update:

Zombies:

I don't understand the hate. Even though there are more zombies, it is easy to avoid them when you see them, as you can just keep at a distance and run around them without getting close to them in their direct view and they won't see you or be agro. Even though they're tougher to kill, they seem to do less damage. I can take about 8 hits now before I start to bleed.

Loot:

This is a big issue. Literally "Starving Simulator 2015". I've had a fresh spawn 3 times and each time I have starved to death in about 15 minutes before I could find any food. This is literally ridiculous. I checked numerous towns and found absolutely nothing. One time I was actually able to make it to an orchard before I died of starvation so was able to spend 15 mins picking enough apples to run to the next town before I found nothing there and starved to death again a little while later. I also went to numerous military bases and airfields before I died for the first time, when I actually had food, and found no loot at all. Like literally nothing except a couple of hardhats, painkillers and vitamins. No camo gear, tactical gear, weapons or ammo. Please fix.

Edited by Smug Life
  • Like 1

Loving this update !

0.55 has been the most fun I've had in DayZ SA so far, the game feels fresh again.

Now you can't just walk into a town with your fire axe out and easily take out every zombie.

Loot is definately more sparse but I still haven't had trouble finding enough food to live, remember to pick apples and berries ;)

Great job devs, and hope you guys add the VSS Vintorez silenced sniper soon.. will help taking out all these new zombies

• Like 1

what was the problem ?

"" the items I remember passing by yesterday are still there in perfect condition. If this is the way loot respawn works then eventually servers are just going to be chock full of completely worthless items ""

no - the longer you leave them there without touching them, the longer they will stay there.

They already spawned once, do you expect them to change into different loot every 20 mins while you stand and watch?

stuff that is lying on the ground is spawned loot - it will just stay there as long as no one picks it up

but if you put something on the ground then sooner or later it will get cleaned up

try it - go find some boring loot, pick it up into your inventory and then drop it again.. go back an hour later and see if it is still there

xx

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/223307-central-economy/#entry2243705

But shit loot is going to be left no matter what. 

Yes I do expect loot to change every so often, not every 20 minutes but every 6 hours or so. 

But shit loot is going to be left no matter what. 

Yes I do expect loot to change every so often, not every 20 minutes but every 6 hours or so. 

Well - what the devs say is:

<<

A whole city probably takes about 52 minute to replenish.

In the case nobody touches anything in that area.

>>

eugenharton

check it out - it's a thread for talking about persistence, where you can discuss with the devs what's really happening in the loot situation.

It doesn't operate the way you think.

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Can I get some confirmation on total resets every Wednesday or not? I.E. I'd I put down a rent will it still disappear on Wednesday? Heard people talking about it but I don't know for sure.

Also, if anyone has found the plate carrier pouches, where? I found the vest on the hood of a jeep and the holster in the corner of one of the small "checkpoint" buildings at the NWAF tent city. Thanks, and to the devs, great job with this patch!

• Like 1

I collected 15 or so rags, went to a remote location, dropped one on the ground, logged off and went to another server. Dropped a single rag in the same location, logged off and went to another server. Rinse and repeat until I’m out of rags.  Play my other character for about 6 hrs and then go back and check on all my rags. Only one remained and I think it was because that server didn’t restart. So to those asking, persistence is still not enabled. DON’T DROP YOUR $HEIOT if you want to keep it.

Are rags even supposed to be persistent? As far as I know just weapons, backpacks, and tents are intended to stick around for an extended amount of time. Might be a few other items on that list.

I have completed another round of tests. Last night I began the second part of my experiments and today I logged in to see how it all shook out. My results are as follows…

I set up 6 tents and planted 6 backpacks on 12 different servers. I went to a very remote location, set up a tent, dropped in some cheap loot, went to a second location on the same server, dropped an article of clothing (something with pockets) with and item in the pocket, then went to a third location and dropped a rag. I did this on 9 random servers and 3 servers I frequent regularly (on six I used a backpack instead of a tents). Today I logged into each server and checked the status of my loot. Only one server proved to be persistent while all others reset and wiped. The single persistence server was one I had never used before and it did not identify itself as persistent. Several of the other servers had “persistence enabled” in the description but still wiped. I have no idea how to distinguish persistence servers from non, but know this, there are persistent servers out there.  A lot of time went into this test and using three different locations with three different items on twelve servers should cancel out the argument that some random soul might have wondered up and made off with the gear. BTW the single persistent server did in fact reset because I had removed ALL the loot from the spawn location and relocated it to my testing grounds. Today when I went back to the spawn location all new loot had repopulated.

My suggestion, unless you know your server is persistent, don’t waste time collecting loot you can’t carry on your person.

I have also posted this in the general discussion section.

• Like 1

My first post here, though I've been reading since I bought 'DayZ' in October, and I'm afraid I have to chime in with the negatives on .55, unfotunately.

I know we're still "early doors" on the game and the development team are in the middle of work still, but .55 just has too many things wrong with it to get a thumbs up. There are good things in the mix, but over all .55 has been a pretty lack luster affair for me over the Easter holidays.

The infected:

I think that it's good that they are making the infected tougher, but they are tougher through more glitching and not through good design. Take a look over your shoulder when running away from them. It's laughable. It's great that the player has to be wary of them, but it's terrible that they can teleport silently to the player and get in their blows without the player having a clue as to what's happening. My last character died from a rubber-banding female zombie that killed me with a single blow, even though I had a "pristine" motorcycle helmet on my head.

Having the ability to skirt around them is an excellent addition, in fact it's the single most rewarding thing about .55. But, they are at the moment too dumb. If you're careful, you never have to deal with them at all, which is probably worse than the situation in previous itterations of the game. The player really has to run into them for them to notice and they have to be relatively near to hear gunfire if you shoot.

In short, they need A LOT of work still and now is not the time to be making them into what they presently are.

Loot:

The messing around with loot has been pretty much a disaster, in my opinion. There was perhaps too much easy loot in previous updates (especially with regards to military hardware), but now the situation is awful. There is a happy medium to be found, no doubt. But the team have certainly not found it yet. It seems that too many places are picked clean and they stay picked clean, which is terribly frustrating for a new spawn and even a character that's survived for weeks. "Moving inland" is not really the solution either. The present game mechanic means that a new spawned character is far more likely to simply die of starvation/thirst, as buildings are devoid of any useful objects. A few goes at this and people will just log off. That simply isn't a fun experience and if there's one way to put off new players, that's it. If this is the new direction that 'DayZ' is going to take then, at the very least, spawn players with a full stomach and something useful, like a knife.

The military areas of the map are now almost completely useless and while the previous situation was a bit too handy to pick up AK's etc at Vybor, the current situation means that those facilities might as well not be there at all. Going into the prison island isn't even worth the swim now. If there's no point in going there (ie to pick up a decent weapon), the devs might as well just not bother building new areas like that.

Worse still are the loot placements. Gingham dresses in Quonset huts? wha? TTsKO tunics in a barn in the middle of nowhere? Hmmm. Something's not right there.

Plus, things that should be relatively easy to find in domestic areas (even in an apocalypse), like matches, pots, kitchen knives, etc, are virtually impossible now.

I know the dev team are eager to eliminate the "Call of Cherno"/KoS malaise that has gripped the game and making high grade military weapons harder to get hold of might just go someway to doing that, but it also penalises the players that want to "Walter Mitty" their way through Chernarus's end of days. Let's be honest, a decent weapon is an absolute must for survival in the world of 'DayZ', whether it's for the (super) infected or other players that mean you harm.

In addition, if the minimising/elimination of weapons loot is the dev teams's answer to KoS (in the hope that strangers will co-operate), then they are sorely mistaken. When in the past, some players KoS'd because that's all they could think of doing with their playtime, now they have a legitimate reason to simply kill other players, as they will want what the other players have, be that a shiny new M4 or a can of Heinz beans. You will NEVER fully eliminate KoS, because some people are limited to this type of play. But, making it harder for other players to combat that in game, is just penalising players who don't KoS. Sure, it's annoying as hell, but other types of players need those AKM's as well, especially now as the infected are immune to fire axes in the head.

'DayZ' needs loot, it's a central (if not THE) mechanic of the game and the current situation is just awful, despite the (hasty) welcome it has recieved by some. It also needs loot to be distrubuted in logical places. If I need to hunt down a cooking pot for my chicken, then I need to hit a town. If I need an MP5 with a supressor, then I'll have to trek down to an army barracks. It may be a fruitless trip, or it may not. The current situation, however, almost guarantees that it'll be a waste of the players time.

Anyway, sorry for the negative first post. I haven't been prompted to post before, as 'DayZ' has generally been a positive experience and anything I need to find out about the game has been available in the threads on here. I've logged over 180 hours in the game which is good for me and shows I enjoy it immensely, despite the nonsense like KoS and snipers. But .55 has been just such a let down.

My last toon died of starvation in 20 minutes, but I found a nice coat. Roll on .56.

• Like 4

I think people should relax a bit. The new central loot system, zed movement, AI and stuff are very early implementations. Expect a lot of changes here. Imho they did a really nice job rolling it out on stable. Game runs smooth, Zeds are a bit more dangerous (not perfect though, but didn't expect this), I finally find stuff that I have never seen before, cool.

Awesome that they decided to go for DirectX11 and hopefully DirectX 12 support. Sorry for the few WinXP user, but seriously, get an up-to-date pc with a current OS. The ressourses spared are better spent in DirectX 12.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Ken Bean
  • Like 1

I caught 2 carp, skinned one with a pristine improvised knife and the other with a pristine kitchen knife. Both gave a small pile of guts. ??

Lol maybe some april fools joke got slipped in :D

Update: Died another 2 times of starvation. This is ridiculously hard. Gonna stop playing until this is sorted.

I really don't understand the thinking in the implementation of the zombies in their current state; zipping all over the screen basically doing mini teleports when engaged in close range combat with a player. Why not leave them as they were last patch and wait to snyc their movement with the new animations until a future patch? The decision to implement a feature/mechanic that is so commonly encountered by players with the knowledge it will do the game more harm than good makes no logical sense to me.

Apart from that i really do love the new direction the loot mechanic has taken even though the lack of common household items is problematic as Tonyeh mentioned above.

I spent hours tring to find plant seeds earlier only to discover it doesn't seem to rain anymore on my usual server. Kinda pointlesss really.

Edited by Chiefo69

[VUV] clan = KoS clan.

No trace of their presence in a search of the forum and google found a Russian tank tactics clan called [VUV]...

"wolf(something)" and "Lynx" were the players.

Without a word they ambushed me with SMG's just as I had finished sniping infected.

I was mostly caught in the open so I just tried to out run them and was cut down without firing a shot at them.

I saw their buddies hop on, maybe to hand out the loot of mine that wasn't ruined.

I do believe KoS can be reduced with higher infected numbers, hordes, and proper loot balance.

It will never be done away with but some of the current changes are already driving away those players to a degree.

Clans will always be "problem" though. Sorry not sorry.

Clans will always use TS and the worst of them encourage duping and hopping and exploiting the most...

The laziness of these types of players, murdering lone neutral survivors to outfit their clan for what is likely PvP on high pop server, really detracts from the essence of this game but is to a degree that to this point is unavoidable.

To the people still complaining about not finding loot.

After I was KoS'd I spawned on the coast and in 15 minutes had a Sporter, a fire Axe, and a mountain backpack.

I then worked my way inland stopping for -5 mins to pick berries and picked more than dozen bunches in that time.

Within 30 minutes I was well off the coast, had an anti stab vest, a mix of ammos (but only 1 .22 round lol) and was fully healthy, hydrated, and energized.

I logged out to eat but I'm fairly confident that merely another hour of play will have me mostly back to my prior load out.

Edit: Had I found this clan here and they were a straight forward band of murderers, I would take the encounter at face value.

Also, I almost always avoid servers that have more than one clan member from the same clan on them but when I saw them on I didn't want to feel "bullied off a server" I was enjoying....

Edited by BioHaze

funny thing is that actually, you can have two completely different experiences.

in most of the servers, you can have an enjoyable playthrough, find some loot and survive (with a little more struggle compared to previous patch).

but i spend a lot of time on a private server (185.62.205.28:2302) which is about 40-50/50 players between 6PM-12PM and around 15-20 players at the other times. on my last playthrough, i died of unkwnon reason (maybe shot in the head with a suppressed weapon ?) and respawned at elektro. i loot the town for about 20 minutes and found one hat, 3 seeds of bell peper, one fishing hook and 3-4 burlarp.

ok, a lot of people looted before me ? no problem, let's head inland ! i manage to reach pusta at medium jogging speed to not burn all my calories, eat some berries (about 10) and apples (6-7) to avoid total dark red starvation.  looted pusta and found some lockpick and burlarp. eat another 6-7 berries and go in direction to mogilevka, taking the "lake" road. i arrived in south east of mogilevka dying of starvation, looted a few houses just to find that the town was empty too. so i aggrowed all zombies around for one last stand.

respawned in solnichnyi, lotted a few houses just to find that the town was empty too, so i lauched pillars of eternity to hase some fun :) .

loot respawn system is not working at all on higly populated private servers, peoples are not lying to you nor are pussies not knowing where to look to find loot.

most public servers are ok, but there is some case where you just can't find shit :) .

• Like 1

I do believe KoS can be reduced with higher infected numbers, hordes, and proper loot balance.

It will never be done away with but some of the current changes are already driving away those players to a degree.

These will reduce it, no doubt, but, as sad as it is, whitelisted private hive servers full of like-minded individuals will probably always remain the only ultimate answer to KoSing.

Then again, without a chance of running into at least some KoSers, where's the thrill? :)

Edited by Veyda
  • Like 1

I KOSed some girl picking apples today. Sadly i somehow lost my cooking pot so i`ll have to let the meat rest in my tent until i can find a new one.

Is it okay to eat it raw meat if i have antibiotics? I somehow found 8 pills that are in my tent.

On a side note. Grew way to many pumkins so i laid 3 out in the road for newspawns to find.

Harsh times i guess.