Sign in to follow this  
EngineerZ

Walking slow is awesome!

Hello SurvivorZ!

I just wanted to share an experience I had with you.

A few weeks ago, I thought a lot about immersion and realism and I must say I really enjoy maximum realism and roleplaying.

So I thought, how would you behave, what experience would be zombie survival be for you?

My first thought was, running all the time is impossible! So I tried not to run in DayZ. I hit double shift and started only walking in normal slow walking speed. And I had to realise it is awesome! It's much much more atmospheric, you can spot and see every little detail in the nature, in the houses, everywhere. It's totally relaxed. Yeah, you are much slower, but I enjoy it too. It makes gameplay much longer and you feel like you really are your character. If they would make the forest more dense and more bushes etc it would be even better.

I would recommend it to everyone who wants more realism or personification with your character. Another benefit is, you don't hear the annoying noise of your heavy breathing all the time and you never shake when aiming.

Just give it a try! :)

GreetZ EngineerZ ;)

• Like 20

I too, from time to time, take it a bit slowpaced. Especialy in the North where i rarly Encounter anyone anyways.

I started doing this a while ago and liked it. Especially when looting or moving around an area in non-combat mode. It feels more immersive and controlled and might as well improve awareness (more time to look around) and even stealth (slower movements are harder to notice).

Because of this it might even be worth considering in more populated areas. Sure you are easier to hit but you can also spot threats earlier and return fire much more efficient. Plus it might communicate a less aggressive mindset to friendlier players.

There you go. You just fixed the problem we have on the forums about the speed is too fast. Thank you for pointing out a good solution for those whining about it.

There is always the double tap shift! don't like it use it.

I am fine with the speed. but wieners will whine.

Edited by FIRMSneakydude
  • Like 1

Have you ever thought about, well, enjoying REAL nature? If it is nature you're after.

Nein...fuck that shit. Is all dirty and smelly and stuff. Plus People look at me strange when i wiggle.

• Like 4

Nein...fuck that shit. Is all dirty and smelly and stuff. Plus People look at me strange when i wiggle.

Me and a buddy do the friendly dance when we see each other on campus all the time. And we do get weird looks...
  • Like 3

Me and a buddy do the friendly dance when we see each other on campus all the time. And we do get weird looks...

@_@

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

Good man! I am glad to see other's taking it at a slow pace. Ever since the implementation of temperature systems I've only ever sprinted to escape combat/defend myself. Walking has countless benefits; you make less noise, you become a smaller target, you can see other moving objects easier and your character remains much healthier.

I've learned to spend at least a couple hours in each major city before moving on. Otherwise DayZ simply becomes, run around, loot and hope to see players to shoot them.

I play this way as well and I find it's much easier to get the drop on people when you take a realistic pace. Walking gives you time to scan your surroundings as you move. Running full tilt everywhere not only looks silly, but makes you blunder into danger before you can even react and causes increased weapon sway from exhaustion should you try to. The only up side is you're a difficult target when you can run as fast as a professional cyclist can ride and can still change directions instantly.

Didn't know you could toggle this with s double tap of the shift key. I remapped my w key for a change of pace after learning the road in the truck for a week. Does it slow your sidestep as well?

I did that awhile back.  Walked right along the coast road from Cherno to Benzo. 

Funny thing.  People generally run around so fast and are so used to catching the movement of other players running just as fast from a mile away, they often don't notice someone just walking.

You do need to scan around more often though as you're far more likely to get overtaken by someone from behind than blunder into them in front.

I used to walk the whole way from Elektrozavodsk to Chernogorsk.

it was amazing, and people running past me thought I was an idiot

Edited by mullraugh
  • Like 3

Yawn, not for me. I won't move slower than I need to. There is often a benefit to slowing down. But you sure won't find me walking from Novo to Severograd.

There you go. You just fixed the problem we have on the forums about the speed is too fast. Thank you for pointing out a good solution for those whining about it.

Here's a good solution for those who think more sane running speeds will be too slow:

HIG415b43_DSC09568.jpg

Yawn, not for me. I won't move slower than I need to. There is often a benefit to slowing down. But you sure won't find me walking from Novo to Severograd.

Here's a good solution for those who think more sane running speeds will be too slow:

HIG415b43_DSC09568.jpg

Man I am really hoping they do indeed go with a realistic route when it comes to player movement.

I am talking about full blown strive for realism.

• Like 2

HIG415b43_DSC09568.jpg

When the trucks doesn't kill you.

I don't dare to use trucks until bugs are fixed.

Hey op, ever pay on the dayzrp servers? There have been times where I've walked from town to town with other people I've met, having in character conversations all the way. Definitely a different experience.

• Like 1

Someone posted a few months back how he walked around and literally had players run right passed him and not notice him, lol.

• Like 1

Hello SurvivorZ!

I just wanted to share an experience I had with you.

A few weeks ago, I thought a lot about immersion and realism and I must say I really enjoy maximum realism and roleplaying.

So I thought, how would you behave, what experience would be zombie survival be for you?

My first thought was, running all the time is impossible! So I tried not to run in DayZ. I hit double shift and started only walking in normal slow walking speed. And I had to realise it is awesome! It's much much more atmospheric, you can spot and see every little detail in the nature, in the houses, everywhere. It's totally relaxed. Yeah, you are much slower, but I enjoy it too. It makes gameplay much longer and you feel like you really are your character. If they would make the forest more dense and more bushes etc it would be even better.

I would recommend it to everyone who wants more realism or personification with your character. Another benefit is, you don't hear the annoying noise of your heavy breathing all the time and you never shake when aiming.

Just give it a try! :)

GreetZ EngineerZ ;)

Hallelujah!!!

I'm glad someone else does it.

This is part 2 of my series. It's 3PP because at the time gunshots weren't working. I'm doing a new 1PP series now.

• Like 1

Stamina system and weight for items incoming ladies and gents.

Why does it feel like the development road map exists in a vacuum sometimes?

The devs have said numerous times that we won't be able to run everywhere as we do now (for multiple reasons really).

Why am I the first person to say this in here?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

:facepalm:

• Like 1

I quite enjoy the aura of slow walking, in DayZ and all Arma games.  I found recently I can really piss off a helicopter pilot in A3 whilst he is spooling up and I simply walk to his rotary wing like a bad ass.  However, once I mount everyone on board is like, "who is that guy."

• Like 1

Stamina system and weight for items incoming ladies and gents.

Why does it feel like the development road map exists in a vacuum sometimes?

The devs have said numerous times that we won't be able to run everywhere as we do now (for multiple reasons really).

Why am I the first person to say this in here?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

:facepalm:

lol ur not, ur probably the 1000th person to say it ;)

I do to really enjoy the walking in DayZ. I did it with a friend one time and it was the most relaxing thing! We just walked there, looted a house like we had all the time in the world, and listened to the natures sounds while we sat down by a fire. I mean we didn't get that far on our journey. But it was totally worth it!