Sign in to follow this  
deicidal

Remove books and other ideas

Ok, Im old school, been playing over 200 hours on standalone and also more than that on arma2 mod.

Please remove books, change it into food or useful items. places that are looted are a pain when all you find is books.

Should I have to eat a can of food every village? I think not, the human body can go without food for days, survival, water, no you need water to survive.

Items that take up ridiculous space, like keys and lockpicks and fishing lures, really? one slot. The mod had a selection of normal tools you need that took up no space in backpack, just items you added to person as essentials. a box of matches takes up same amount as a tin of baked beans...

Just back from drinking an entire container of gasoline. I got full, unsure if it was filled with water and left sitting in a shed but I assume it was petrol. Could I sniff it to check?, no but every time I went to open a door it tried to get me to drink it. Until I drank the entire container of gasoline while trying to open a car boot with it in my hands.

more vehicles please after a few years of a running simulator im beginning to lose my patience.

Edited by deicidal
  • Like 1

Ok, Im old school, been playing over 200 hours on standalone and also more than that on arma2 mod.

Please remove books, change it into food or useful items. places that are looted are a pain when all you find is books.

Should I have to eat a can of food every village? I think not, the human body can go without food for days, survival, water, no you need water to survive.

Items that take up ridiculous space, like keys and lockpicks and fishing lures, really? one slot. The mod had a selection of normal tools you need that took up no space in backpack, just items you added to person as essentials. a box of matches takes up same amount as a tin of baked beans...

Just back from drinking an entire container of gasoline. I got full, unsure if it was filled with water and left sitting in a shed but I assume it was petrol. Could I sniff it to check?, no but every time I went to open a door it tried to get me to drink it. Until I drank the entire container of gasoline while trying to open a car boot with it in my hands.

more vehicles please after a few years of a running simulator im beginning to loose my patience.

1) If you are in a town where all you can find is books, that means EVERYONE ELSE has got there before you, and took everything good. GO INLAND

2) In a survival situation, which Day Z is, your metabolic needs are accelerated. This means you often need more food, water, and sleep. 

3) Sooo....put the Jerry Can down to open the car trunk? Problem solved.

4) Cry more. Some devs have stated that there could be a maximum of 10 vehicles per server. Get used to running, or look for a bike when they get implemented.

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 9

more vehicles please after a few years of a running simulator im beginning to lose my patience.

What happens then? Are you going to type in ALL CAPS?

• Like 7

Also, George Orwell is turning in his grave over the title of this topic. 

• Like 4

There is one thing that you need to understand about the standalone version of DayZ. It's hardcore. Simple right?

Stop whining now. Soon we won't find even one can of beans after several searches for it. The devs have stated that in the end. You WILL have to be carefully of what and when you eat, because you might not find anything at all, food wise, during one play session. That is why they think that the hunting and cooking aspect of the game is so important.

What kind of cretin plebeian are you? Get rid of books? For fuck's sake.  If you choose to live in a dark cave like some ignorant child jacking off about how cool your l33t sn1pr r1fle is, that's great. Don't expect us to want the same thing. Food should be scarce as hell because no factories are producing or shipping the food into the country.  That's just how it is.  Learn to farm or fish and quit crying about being unable to loot 3 rifles and 20 cans of food every town. Have you even tried to READ a book? They're not worthless. There's plenty of useful information and entertaining stories in the ingame books.  Take the Russian Cheat Sheet, for example.  I carried that since the last wipe and used it to translate signs and the like.  You can also tear out blank pages to light fires. As for drinking an entire can of gasoline, good.  You did everyone out there a favor.  Your ignorant, poorly-suited survival instincts are wiped from this planet for good. 

In closing, don't play a survival simulator if you just want to loot rifles, shoot people, and be a whiny cock.

• Like 9

Books useless whaaat i use them as fire fuel,paper giver when righting messages,as bait to put in a backpack when being a bandit, and to have at campfire sinse campfires songs don't help.

TL;DR version: "I've played a few hours of DayZ and I hate that the Standalone isn't exactly like the Mod."

Cry me a river.

• Like 4

I agree on thoses points except if the books are usefull: If they are tutorials manuals for crafting they will be usefull + they can be used for fire !!

About vehicules, yes it is very boring to run, run, run endlessly. I ve thought about repairing the dirty cars in the streets for exemple. It could be very nice to do so rather than finding a car already clean. It should be like all objects: Ruined (can't be repaired), Damage you need 2 things to repair it (fuel and battery for exemple), Worn you need 1 thing to repair it (fuel for exemple) and Pristine (no needs). 

We've started issuing Russian language books to our fighters when we can find them, in addition to keeping some at the camp for land nav orientation. They're great.

2) In a survival situation, which Day Z is, your metabolic needs are accelerated. This means you often need more food, water, and sleep. 

When you've had one liter of water (and are bright green hydrated) and run for 10 minutes, you don't need another liter. Which actually is the case now in DayZ. The need for drinks is rediculous. It feels like a drinking and eating machine simulator.

• Like 1

This is an example of where game play should take precedence over realism. In real life a box of matches does not take up that much room, however if we could carry a load of survival essentials without using inventory slots we would lose an important mechanic. That mechanic being having to decide which items you can take when your inventory slots are full. Choosing between a box of matches or one the burlap sacks you have been collecting to make a ghille suit for example should always be in place regardless of how unrealistic it is.

• Like 2

I could agree on less books. But i sugest taping them to your body as a form of protection. Or a improviced rain cover, combined with rope or shoelaces. Also you can have a pretty nice fire with a pile of books,since your axe is damaged so quickly this might be a good thing...

Since when are books not useful? Whenever I need a fire, I always run to nearby town and grab a few books for tinder. It would be really sad if I had to search for hours for something as common as paper for a fire. It's nice to have a fairly common and reliable resource, even if it's only useful in specific situations.

It's a game, there are going to be some "gamey" elements even if they are unrealistic.

Again, this is a game. Unless you are playing for 24 hours at a time, then in-game elements that rely on the passage of time will need to be accelerated. If it wasn't then you would hardly ever have to eat at all. I know I wouldn't. I would have one meal, then likely die before I ever had to feed again.

Think about it, you have 200 hours in-game: that's only about 8 full days. If you wanted your character have to eat realistically regarding the passage of time, then at 3 meals a day, that is only 24 meals. Do you really want to play a survival game where you only have to eat 24 cans of beans every 200 hours of game-time? I don't.

Edited by WolfgangErikson
  • Like 1

Think about it, you have 200 hours in-game: that's only about 8 full days. If you wanted your character have to eat realistically regarding the passage of time, then at 3 meals a day, that is only 24 meals. Do you really want to play a survival game where you only have to eat 24 cans of beans every 200 hours of game-time? I don't.

I think part of the problem is that the game is in real time. Days should maybe be 30 minutes - an hour long so as to remove the illusion that your character is bulimic. 

books should be replaced or added to with books that offer you passive information about hidden skills ingame, IE improving your improvised ashwood bow, from improvised to improved. 

shouldn't be taken out

Edited by Wookieenoob

Nah, I do actually read books. I've read two books! :D

Also they are really usefull in making fire.

useless item in game, I agree. Remove them as we have paper to start fires. But since the twigs are working fine, books and that are rather useless to us.

You're all over the place with your ideas and the title is misleading. First off no books will stay I use them to start fires, leave notes, and also whenever I'm waiting for my food to cook or roam around to my stand, I will read and it's a very cool part of the game. Second off your idea of food is nice but realistically if you consider how much ground you cover in-game (you don't notice because endless stamina) then you would know running from Elektro to Cherno (almost 5km) would leave you either super exhausted or hungrier/thirstier than when you began. Last of all, your ideas of smelling substances and objects taking up less room are plausible and I'm sure will be implemented, BUT keep in mind that this game is probably 75-150 updates before Beta so they have a long way to go and I'm sure they will implement something related to what you discussed. 

Edited by Lt. Aldo Raine
  • Like 1

If you have so many hours in this game, you'd think that you would know how to loot by now and that books wouldn't be a problem.