Sign in to follow this  
ianwrecked

Riddle me this, DayZ vets-

Yo duders.

I've been playing DayZ like it's going out of style and I still have a few questions. 

1.) Am I correct to assume that when the server time says it's "9:00", that it means the server just restarted?

2.) Am I also correct to assume that people just hang out and loot airbases, then quit the game- thus spawning them in the same airfield so they can keep collecting guns/ammo/etc?

3.) I found my first vehicle a few minutes ago- how does one get the "drop down box" without furiously pressing f/middle mouse key and hoping and praying it shows the "turn engine off" or "get out" dialogue? 

1) It depends on the restart schedule

2) Some people login after restarts, loot areas, then log off again and repeat it later until they are geared.

3) Cross your fingers

1.) Am I correct to assume that when the server time says it's "9:00", that it means the server just restarted?

2.) Am I also correct to assume that people just hang out and loot airbases, then quit the game- thus spawning them in the same airfield so they can keep collecting guns/ammo/etc?

3.) I found my first vehicle a few minutes ago- how does one get the "drop down box" without furiously pressing f/middle mouse key and hoping and praying it shows the "turn engine off" or "get out" dialogue? 

1) Not necessarily. That's just the server time, and servers can be on any kind of schedule their owner wants. 9:00 is a common start time for a cycle however (cycle being the length of time between server restarts). In general, cycles begin on an even time and end on an even time, so if a server says "9:01" then you know you've probably got at least 59 minutes before that server resets.

2) Yes. Some people find fun in hopping between public servers and gearing up that way.

3) Use the scroll wheel on your mouse. That particular input is how you control the action menu when multiple actions are possible in a given situation. When you walk up to a truck, scroll your mouse wheel up and down without clicking or typing the "F" key and you'll see the available actions pop up, even if there is only one option available. When you're sitting inside the truck for example, you should be able to: open/close the door, turn the engine on/off, get out (if the door is open), turn the lights on/off, etc. Highlight the option you want and type the "F" key. You will find the scroll wheel useful in other situations as well, such as when you are interacting with a water pump using a container (canteen, water bottle).

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 2

3) Use the scroll wheel on your mouse. That particular input is how you control the action menu when multiple actions are possible in a given situation. When you walk up to a truck, scroll your mouse wheel up and down without clicking or typing the "F" key and you'll see the available actions pop up, even if there is only one option available. When you're sitting inside the truck for example, you should be able to: open/close the door, turn the engine on/off, get out (if the door is open), turn the lights on/off, etc. Highlight the option you want and type the "F" key. You will find the scroll wheel useful in other situations as well, such as when you are interacting with a water pump using a container (canteen, water bottle).

You can also just click with the scroll wheel to select an option. I hardly ever use F because I can just click the scroll button to open doors / select options from the pop up menu.

Edited by Foxhunt
  • Like 1

1. It means it's 9 o'clock on the server. Now an even time COULD mean the server just reset, but it doesn't have to. I used to have mine restart to something like 7:21, just to mess with server hoppers. ;)

2. Yes... which is why I tend to play on private servers. They can't just hop to the most recently started server, loot, and repeat. They would have to wait for that one server to reboot, which is typically 4 hours.

3. Middle Mouse button. Get used to it. A cleanly running server makes this better. 

..//..

2. Yes... which is why I tend to play on private servers. They can't just hop to the most recently started server, loot, and repeat. They would have to wait for that one server to reboot, which is typically 4 hours.

..//..

..<<hop to the most recently started server, loot, and repeat>>

This doesn't work with Permanence, right ?

Edited by pilgrim

Yo duders.

I've been playing DayZ like it's going out of style and I still have a few questions. 

*takes snip from coffee

You got this.

..<<hop to the most recently started server, loot, and repeat>>

This doesn't work with Permanence, right ?

ha. ha. Permanence sucks right now. ask anybody ;)

ha. ha. Permanence sucks right now. ask anybody ;)

... because you cant keep looting the same airbases ? because the server doesn't reset with a fresh new load of loot every 4 hours ?

... because you cant keep looting the same airbases ? because the server doesn't reset with a fresh new load of loot every 4 hours ?

it was sarcasm, friend. You said "permanence" and it's "persistence".

I thought when you said "permanence, right?" you were being sarcastic.

• Like 1

it was sarcasm, friend. You said "permanence" and it's "persistence".

I thought when you said "permanence, right?" you were being sarcastic.

Ah - I sense..

the Force is strong in this one ..

see - I was reading the score of 'Tristan und Isolde' at work, trying to figure why 2 conductors have died while bringing the orchestra through the second act (IRL) - Doing this because I had free time at work, I'm the weekend solo technician on call 24/24, And from this reading I got involved in the French and English translations of the vocal score, and  how a translation might fit better into the orchestral music - the music itself, right? -  (instead of simply 'translating' the words, ok?)  Because for instance if you watch a video, the subtitles are part of what you see on screen (David Byrne would understand this); so written word textual rhythms - visual and phonetic - either go with the music or against it, independent of how they validly translate the German original. And I had these 3 languages in my head, and the French term for being the guy on call, who stands in when no one else is around is "Permanence".. yep, and I work in France but I'm English and I'm reading a German language opera vocal score figuring better translation for video subtitles .. so I used the word Permanence (in English) in the forum instead of Persistence, I guess I was thinking you-all would get my meaning, or without thinking much at all. So that's how it was.

So there ya go: Lissen People: The New York Metropolitan just did a bloody good version of Wagner's Ring Cycle (2012), you really should get it and have a good time (Im serious, don't knock it till you've tried it).

They truly got their digital tech sorted for that production (check youtube)  And the rest of it - Wagner's bit - is (natch. ) - deeply mega-brilliant anyway. 

+++

In the earlier post I was getting at the different WAY that the server handles loot objects, between the non-P and the P.   Persistence involves continuous infiltration of loot objects to preserve an equilibrium on one server (don't it?) so 4 hour restarts are obsolete and anyway dont have the effect they used to in non-P. isn't that the case?

This makes a difference if you're a hopper.. right?

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 3