Sign in to follow this  
S3V3N

Honeycombs - food and beeswax

I keep seeing models for the "beehives" (not the romantic ones we know from Cartoons, but the ones that look like boxes stacked on top and next to each other.) 

So, I thought - how about collecting honey and beeswax as a side effect. The honey could be powerfood, similar to the Milkpowder. I guess you wouldn't harvest very much of it and there should be a limited supply over time. To use the beeswax, you would have to heat it over a fire. Then you could combine it with woolen clothing to make waterproof clothes (aka Barbor jackets). 

This would have 2 positve effects:

- every civilian clothing could be waterproofed. 

- you would spend less time freezing or being cold from rain

The beeswax and honey could also have other uses, too. You could craft candles or make torches, waterproof blankets with it and build a makeshift tent. Since the model for the bee cages is already present, all it would need is to add the mechanics and some bee hum sounds. It could also be an idea to craft a beekeepers veil from netting and perhaps a helmet or a hat. Or smoke pearls (crafted from charcoal, matches and plant material) to keep the bees away while you are harvesting. Otherwise getting stung could result in high temperature or an infection/allergic reaction. You never know until you tried ;)!

It seems like a comparably simple feature to add. It would free us from either using military gear to be waterproof, or using raincoats in mostly "target-practice" colors. Of course it is a bit of an effort to get the wax and heat it, but it means you can wear what you want and still be waterproof.

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 6

Isn't honey a natural antiseptic as well?

True, it could be used in medical treatments, but I don't know much about that. There is also gelee royal harvested from bees that has a very strong, nourishing effect. It could also be used as lure in bear-traps - another item we'll soon see ingame (not the bear, but the trap).

Edited by S3V3N

Speaking as a beekeeper.  Those 'cartoony' ones are called Skep hives.  Beekeeping or even just adding honey and wax to foraging would be good IMO.  There's so many uses for honey and wax that I'd probably reach some sort of text limit on the post.  Collecting it would be the problem, if you do it wrong you'll be getting stung.  I personally do my beekeeping without a suit, but I'm being taught by what I would consider a grand master.  Use of smoke is a must, we sometimes put a firebucket upwind of the hives in addition to our smokers.  Not smashing any bees is another must (they send off an alarm pheromone upon death or when they sting, which prompts the rest to go apeshit).

I'd say a smoker of some type (weather an actual beekeeper's smoker or a bundle of sticks and leaves on fire) to reduce the chance of stings, and protective clothing to further reduce the chance of stings.  The puffer jacket and gloves would be a good choice in terms of what we already have, along with some sort of headgear, like the motor helmet or crafting something with a veil.  You'd also need some sort of tool like a crowbar to pry into a man made hive (bees seal them with propolis, it's very sticky shit) as well as a knife to cut out the comb.  A wild hive would be probably more protected than a manmade hive and harder to get into, and you'll probably piss off the bees in the process of getting into it.  Still I think both manmade and natural hives should be around.  You'd get a honeycomb and would have to squeeze/uncap it into a container to honey, and you'd get the wax as a 'waste' product.

And yes, royal jelly is FUCKING awesome.

• Like 3

Honey is AWESOME for survival purposes. Eat it, spread the wax on clothing/blankets/tarps/etc, burn the husks, spread the honey on wounds (it IS a natural antiseptic), etc

I carry a small container of honey in my backpack for general purposes, as well as individual packets in my survival kit.

• Like 3

been suggested before and i fully support bees and honey.

I think i like the antiseptic idea.. but how plausible is this waterproofing clothing idea ??

regardless i have always had a soft spot for honey so sounds good to me ..

BEES & HONEY

Edited by liquidcactus

I think i like the antiseptic idea.. but how plausible is this waterproofing clothing idea ??

BEES & HONEY

Just check out Barbor jackets. It's a famous British brand for men with Moustaches. It's basically cotton with a waxy finish. Beeswax is the main component, and I guess we could get the emulsifier from fat we cooked from, e.g. lard (so getting waterproof clothing would also require to hunt). That fat would stink though, but we are not playing the game for its smells, right :)? Glad you like this idea, I didn't know it was suggested before, but it seems natural to me, and I would use it a whole lot more than to look for feathers for bow arrows. And that feather searching mechanic is already in the game. Can't be a long stretch to making bees work, same way.

Also - thanks BigMike! I knew there was another bee product, namely Propolis, but I had forgotten its name. It's antiseptic and basically has a ton of uses. I used it when I had a cut on my lip and it healed superfast and without any other medicine! 

Edited by S3V3N

Also forgot to mention that the grubs and larve are good nutrition wise too.  Not a very filling, but still.  Couple things should affect 'sting chance' as well, like how it is in real life.  Harvesting at night would be a VERY bad idea, all the bees are in the hive rather than only about a third during the day.  This also applies to stormy/rainy weather.  Bees also don't like dark clothing (why most beesuits are white) or dark hair, reminds them a bit of their natural predators, skunks, bears, and honeybadgers, ect.

Making candles would be good as a survival tool.  Provides some heat, will also help to get a fire going and provide light.  Think of it as a VERY long buring match.  Light the candle (can also make a survival candle by pouring the wax into a container such as a glass jar with a wick) and you can use that instead of matches for as long as it lasts.

BEES & HONEY

Just check out Barbor jackets. It's a famous British brand for men with Moustaches. It's basically cotton with a waxy finish. Beeswax is the main component, and I guess we could get the emulsifier from fat we cooked from, e.g. lard (so getting waterproof clothing would also require to hunt). That fat would stink though, but we are not playing the game for its smells, right :)? Glad you like this idea, I didn't know it was suggested before, but it seems natural to me and I would use it a whole lot more than to look for feathers for bow arrows. And that feather searching is already in the game.

Never tried waterproofing anything with beeswax, though I would think you could do it with just the wax.  Might need to apply a 'fresh coat' every now and then.

Never tried waterproofing anything with beeswax, though I would think you could do it with just the wax.  Might need to apply a 'fresh coat' every now and then.

Exactly! I used to have one of those silly Barbor jackets in my youth. Some aunt thought it would be a good present to give me a tin of wax to keep it coated in the future. I remember only using it once, because I really hated that Jacket style. But I made my Jeans Jacket waterproof that way. It looked and felt disgusting, but it sure works! Just apply a fresh coat when you realize you are getting damp again. You won't go fully wet, but damp. I remember you could use a flat iron to "melt" out the old wax, too. So definitely something could be done with heat to apply or remove the coating.

Also - I name BigMike as offcial counselor to the Dayz developing team :)  On bees that is. The stuff you brought up is amazing, Mike!  

Edited by S3V3N

Also - I name BigMike as offcial counselor to the Dayz developing team :)  On bees and trains that is. The stuff you brought up is amazing, Mike!  

Fixed that for you, though my knowledge of European railways is pretty slim.

Fixed that for you, though my knowledge of European railways is pretty slim.

What? Then get on it man! Build a steamtrain, now ;)!