Sign in to follow this  
raigprime

Any plans for 3PP immersion?

It's good as it is already, leave 3pp and 1pp as it is.

Both gamemodes has it flaws and perks, and it's up to the players to use it to their advantage and knowing/calculating how to execute actions safely

to guarantee ones survival in a given situation. If one fail, so be it ... see ya on the coast.

If I would be a roleplayer, I'd probably would hate to see 3pp vanish, as the 3pp camera gives the option to observe the situation/scene in multiple

ways.

I really don't get this urge to take away the 3pp for other players just because yourself are a hardcore 1pp player. Denying players in the community

their (maybe) preferable gamemode. I just don't get it..

Is it a fear of 1pp servers dying due to less populus? There are better ways to ensure its survival. Just on the top of my head: Make 1pp cheaper to rent 

than 3pp. Allow 1pp servers to have more players on a server than 3pp -

Or just maybe let players step up their game for themselves, to start playing 1pp and get better at DayZ. Afterall, those are the players we want on 1pp

servers for getting quality gameplay and interactions. I am not saying that it doesn't exist on 3pp servers, but I am adressing to those who want to deny

community members of the pleasures of 3pp.

Surely if you're roleplaying you want 1PP? You're playing a role and that role doesn't mean you can see things you can't. It's been dubbed the "anti-game" because it is so brutal - how is 3pp brutal - it's easy mode beyond compare to anything else.

But if there's no dot the vicinity tab will be the only way to pick up items. Which would be pretty rubbish imo.

I'd definitely like to see the dot removed if it was still possible to interact with objects in the world directly...

*Actually maybe it would work without the dot, the pointing gesture could be used as a guide to help with picking things up*

Just make the detection area larger to a couple of inches diameter so you don't need to be so pinpoint. When multiple objects are in the view area, use the scroll wheel to select the item you want to pick up.

Right now just breathing can make picking up one object under another an exercise in maddening frustration lol

• Like 1

Just because we both have the same ability to view does not give us the same advantages which is easily demonstrable.

This is where I agree to disagree.

Don't know how else to elaborate my point any further Jexter.

This is where I agree to disagree.

Don't know how else to elaborate my point any further Jexter.

it's useless arguing that point. it goes over their heads. it is no use explaining that the playing field is level.. all they know is someone got to the roof before they did and can peek over it. they won't adjust their play style to compensate for the fact. it's almost like the hard core 1pp lifers just wanna run willy-nilly trough a town without taking into account that someone might be 3ppeeking over the edge.

vegetarian walks into steak house, knowing they serve steak.. and bitching that there's steak being served and their preferred veggie-hut is empty

• Like 2

it's useless arguing that point. it goes over their heads. it is no use explaining that the playing field is level.. all they know is someone got to the roof before they did and can peek over it. they won't adjust their play style to compensate for the fact. it's almost like the hard core 1pp lifers just wanna run willy-nilly trough a town without taking into account that someone might be 3ppeeking over the edge.

vegetarian walks into steak house, knowing they serve steak.. and bitching that there's steak being served and their preferred veggie-hut is empty

Well said Sky.

/end thread

Considering DayZ is supposed to be realistic, it is more like a vegetarian walking into a vegetarian restaurant, only to find out the restaurant was just lying and does indeed serve steak.

Well said Sky.

/end thread

Was actually quite crappy said.

/continue thread

• Like 1

Considering DayZ is supposed to be realistic, it is more like a vegetarian walking into a vegetarian restaurant, only to find out the restaurant was just lying and does indeed serve steak.

Was actually quite crappy said.

/continue thread

things seem go further over some heads than others

Not realistic, but an authentic feel, the distinction is subtle, but applies here.

As you'll know, DayZ developers shy away from using the word realistic, but uses authenticity instead. They know they are not creating a 1 to 1 virtual experience of the zombie apocalypse, just like Bohemia Interactive didn't aim for the perfect first person experience in their military simulation. For you third person breaks the immersion, for me it doesn't. I enjoy seeing my own character interact with the beautiful game environment, but I also accept it can be used against me and therefor I adapt my play style in response to these risks.

I constantly follow three lines, often change direction at every house corner, limiting and minimizing my exposure to all directions. In cities I use back allies, I always keep on the move and I definitely don't expose myself to open spaces and to the most obvious sniper nests on roof tops. It's often pretty easy to bypass the most far reaching overwatch positions and these positions often forces the sniper to stay stationary. If you give movement routes a little thought and keep on the move, you'll do amazingly well even in hot spots.

However BI allows server admins to dictate difficulty setting, but as long as 1PP prefer to playing 3PP servers, the 1PP population suffers.

Edited by Dallas

one lady in our Arma/DayZ group put it very well.. "I play video games to have fun. I live my life in 1st person. playing a video game in 3rd person is enjoyable for me." and I agree.

I enjoy 1st person just as much though. love it! but I don't feel I'm at a disadvantage when I play 3rd person servers with friends.

tweak the camera a bit, cool. take away the peeking aspect of 3rd person, cool!

but to totally do away with it because a few cry babies don't like it is just plain silly.

• Like 1

tweak the camera a bit, cool. take away the peeking aspect of 3rd person, cool!

but to totally do away with it because a few cry babies don't like it is just plain silly.

I don't think anyone is advocating for anything other than that.

Even less so I think people are just hoping that Bohemia Interactive as a company looks into a fix so that peeking is no longer possible in third person for not only dayz but arma .

People can't honestly expect the complete removal of the perspective but at the very least it can be brought up to 2015 standards and its negative impacts on gameplay diminished if not outright eliminated while keeping the perspective in for those who enjoy it and rely on it because of motion sickness.

People can't honestly expect the complete removal of the perspective but at the very least it can be brought up to 2015 standards and its negative impacts on gameplay diminished if not outright eliminated while keeping the perspective in for those who enjoy it and rely on it because of motion sickness.

Rust did it and it was well received. I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect 3pp removal.

• Like 1

Rust did it and it was well received. I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect 3pp removal.

Completely different communities.

Rust seemed to acknoledge how bad 3pp was for the game early on.

Dayz is too focused on finding sweet lootz and pvp by the coast to actually put any real thought on how bad 3pp in its current form really is

Surely if you're roleplaying you want 1PP? You're playing a role and that role doesn't mean you can see things you can't. It's been dubbed the "anti-game" because it is so brutal - how is 3pp brutal - it's easy mode beyond compare to anything else.

Well first I guess still it's a subjective matter, most RPers I've chatted with prefered 3pp, of course these people are just stating their own personal opinons and so am I.

And secondly, as english is my 3rd language and I'm poor at it, I tend to fail explaining myself properly. But as I can see in my first post in this thread, I haven't said that 3pp nor 1pp is easy-mode/brutal. I just pointed out that players need to adapt their gameplay to what restrictions/liberties each gamemode has to ensure their survival. I have been killed so many times when some player was 3pp viewing over a wall or behind a corner. So i started to take my time, observe, listening, moving in cover to look at different angles at those spots that players could easily hide, before moving into areas that could attract survivors.

But hell I'm pretty sure every poster in this thread is more successful at surviving than me, so I don't need to tell others how to play the game. But neither do I cry "exploits" or want to deny others the 3pp gamemode that is prefered by so many players in this community.

No it's you guys failing to grasp the simple concept that if I'm behind a rock, camping and you walk passed, you are at a disadvantage. It doesn't matter that we can both hide behind the rock when I'm the one on the road and you're the one behind the rock, does it????

How the fuck can you not get this simple point?

Nobody is walking willy-nilly through town and even if you're taking your time and hiding, it doesn't help because guess what, when you're on a high point you can pretty much see over everything.

Can't do that in 1pp mode though can you because you'll skyline yourself and will be visible but carry on thinking you both have the same advantages.

Your analogy actually is that we're both starting a race except I shout go when I'm 100 yards ahead of you. You could have shouted go at anytime too but I did it first so that makes the race fair - oh please, don't be so ridiculous.

• Like 4

Well first I guess still it's a subjective matter, most RPers I've chatted with prefered 3pp, of course these people are just stating their own personal opinons and so am I.

And secondly, as english is my 3rd language and I'm poor at it, I tend to fail explaining myself properly. But as I can see in my first post in this thread, I haven't said that 3pp nor 1pp is easy-mode/brutal. I just pointed out that players need to adapt their gameplay to what restrictions/liberties each gamemode has to ensure their survival. I have been killed so many times when some player was 3pp viewing over a wall or behind a corner. So i started to take my time, observe, listening, moving in cover to look at different angles at those spots that players could easily hide, before moving into areas that could attract survivors.

But hell I'm pretty sure every poster in this thread is more successful at surviving than me, so I don't need to tell others how to play the game. But neither do I cry "exploits" or want to deny others the 3pp gamemode that is prefered by so many players in this community.

Well they may say they prefer the view but if you're "Roleplaying" then you talking specifics. "Roleplaying" is getting into character and playing a "role" just like any tabletop or other RPG game. You can get more "in Character" and into your "role" when you are putting yourself in your characters shoes. Are you or are you not a person stuck in a zombie apocalypse - yes you are.

Do people have magic floating cameras over their heads - no they don't.

Edit: Also, as a RP'er, I'm surprised you want to play in 3pp when 1pp is far more immersive. I've almost jumped out my chair twice, recently when a zombie leapt out at me from nowhere and I was in 1pp, restricted view because of my backpack, felt the hairs on the back of my neck rise. I never get this feeling in 3pp because it's easy.

Perhaps you and your friends are movie makers - then you have an argument ;)

And your English is better than a lot of posters here and you're easy to understand so I don't think you need to worry about getting your point across :)

Edited by Jexter
  • Like 1

Well they may say they prefer the view but if you're "Roleplaying" then you talking specifics. "Roleplaying" is getting into character and playing a "role" just like any tabletop or other RPG game. You can get more "in Character" and into your "role" when you are putting yourself in your characters shoes. Are you or are you not a person stuck in a zombie apocalypse - yes you are.

Do people have magic floating cameras over their heads - no they don't.

Edit: Also, as a RP'er, I'm surprised you want to play in 3pp when 1pp is far more immersive. I've almost jumped out my chair twice, recently when a zombie leapt out at me from nowhere and I was in 1pp, restricted view because of my backpack, felt the hairs on the back of my neck rise. I never get this feeling in 3pp because it's easy.

Perhaps you and your friends are movie makers - then you have an argument ;)

And your English is better than a lot of posters here and you're easy to understand so I don't think you need to worry about getting your point across :)

Thank you sir for letting me know regarding my english, feels good I must admit :)

I don't roleplay myself, I have done it IRL in my youth though. And the players I mentioned aren't really my 'friends', they are actually randoms I met around servers and forums so I don't have that much experince in that regard. Anyway I got the feeling that those I talked with, advocate 3pp prefer the scene that situation builds, situations that can be viewed as it was a "stage" somewhat.. if you know what I mean? More like watching a play or something. In that regard it naturally should make it less immersive, but isn't that a subjectively feeling or task that lies on the player?

No I'm not a film maker, and I do prefer 1pp vastly, but I do have a 3pp character aswell when I feel like playing that :)

I just wanted to chip in some opinions for preserving the 3pp, even though I don't play it much. I think it have it's place in this thread where there are many posters that heavy advocates for 1pp only...

Edited by harvest
  • Like 1

No it's you guys failing to grasp the simple concept that if I'm behind a rock, camping and you walk passed, you are at a disadvantage. It doesn't matter that we can both hide behind the rock when I'm the one on the road and you're the one behind the rock, does it????

How the fuck can you not get this simple point?

I grasp that concept very well.

You need to grasp the concept that the playing field is level because it will one day be you on said road & someone else behind said rock.

Yes, the person hiding is at an advantage, because they have the element of surprise regardless of camera perspective.

Back to my original analogy; it's like saying that the game is unfair because I found a gun before you did.

• Like 2

I, for one, think that 3PP should just be removed. I can't really understand why it is there in the first place, when the game is supposed to be realistic. "Hey, I'll just hide behind a wall so I can see other players coming and surprise-pop out and kill them".

Cause first person in a two dimensional game isn't realistic either.

Back to my original analogy; it's like saying that the game is unfair because I found a gun before you did.

That doesn't go against realism or immersion at all.

• Like 1

You need to grasp the concept that the playing field is level because it will one day be you on said road & someone else behind said rock.

Yes, the person hiding is at an advantage, because they have the element of surprise regardless of camera perspective.

THIS

The element of surprise is the element of surprise, people. If you have it, you are probably gonna win, regardless of perspective.

In fact, in 3PP, "surprise" counts for LESS, as the ambushee can merely "peek" around the corner using the camera.

I still support 3PP over 1PP because: 1) even with the headbob turned all the way down, I still get nauseous playing straight 1PP servers 2) Melee combat is clunky as FUCK on 1PP (not that it is much better on 3PP......). And, even so, I use 1PP exclusively when firing a firearm in 3PP-servers, I don't "fire from the hip".

If they fix 1PP to make it not-nearly so disgusting to play in (my view), OR change 3PP to some of the above projections, then we will actually "solve the issue". Until then, both sides are essentially screaming DON'T LIKE WHAT I DON'T LIKE

• Like 1

except those who use wall peeking. Those are the ones opposed to any changes.

Don't generalize, I have used wall peaking cause I'm getting wall peaked while doing it. However would welcome an adjusted non peakable 3PP.

Or a proper 1pp where I don't play with horse blinders on.

DayZ is supposed to be a fairly realistic and immersive zombie apocalypse survival experience. It is not a player's choice to have DayZ as something else. You don't spawn with full gear. There ain't 500 vehicles. Cheats are not allowed. 3PP belongs to the category of things that simply do not belong to DayZ, regardless of what casuals say. Surely we understand the devs, money > else, as supposedly there would be a lot of dissatisfaction with 3PP removal from DayZ. Casuals make the majority, after all.

I understand excuses such as clunky movement, camera position or motion sickness. Wanting to see one's character is a ridiculous excuse. Seeing yourself from behind does not add to realism and immersion, which is what the game seeks. Not even talking about corner peeking, which is essentially a legitimate cheat.

As bad as it sounds, certain things should be enforced on people, restriction to 1PP being one of them. Otherwise why not add spaceships and other shit which casuals find fun, completely ruining the DayZ we know.

No matter how you look at it, 3PP is a feature that does not fit DayZ regardless if people like to exploit it or not.

So then why has it been an option since day1 lol... It's something that doesn't belong to dayz it just has it to.please the majority of people who play the game? Huh?

Don't generalize, I have used wall peaking cause I'm getting wall peaked while doing it. However would welcome an adjusted non peakable 3PP.

Or a proper 1pp where I don't play with horse blinders on.

it's called head look.
  • Like 1

But that's wrong.

The only time the playing field is level is when you've both seen each other and are sitting behind whatever cover you have watching for the other to eventually move because you're both 100% immune to getting shot by the other while having 100% vision.

I agree the person who has the element of surprise has the advantage, but if you see me I should have the capability to see you. Even if it's extremely unlikely I could pick you out from your concealment you still have the tradeoff. To see me you should run the risk of being seen by me. If I get shot because you've been watching me and I wasn't paying enough attention to locate you that's all my fault.

If you've been watching me from a rooftop or behind a tree with your head not exposed and there's no visual indication you're watching me even if I'm looking right at your spot you can't honestly say that's fair.

• Like 3

Without trawling through many pages or multiple threads / posts, has a Dev ever responded to these conversations? Is the removal of 3PP ever been properly assessed? It seems to be the fault of Arma that is it existed in the first place. And that is odd in itself considering it's a combat simulation.

Can we please here from so Devs?