MatchboxChick

Logging in and out of Servers

Sleeping Animation/Sleeping Bags?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Sleeping Animation/Sleeping Bags?

• I would like to go in this direction
    • I feel it is unnecessary
    • Unsure at this juncture.

So I have this idea which I would like to run past the community and hopefully down the roads if/when it passes the approval of the masses reaches the developers.

So, I noticed that combat logging is a bit of an issue, but this idea isn't to really to combat that. I propose an idea of introducing sleeping bags. No, not as an item which we find. But as a feature which all players in-game would own permenantly and by using it, you activate an animation which should last no more then 7 or so seconds of your character setting up a spot to sleep in thier bag on the ground and as soon as they do their character logs off. On the same note, perhaps even making a sleeping bag an item and by using it as such and staying logged off for minimum fo 2 hours, your character is 10% healthier etc. Otherwise your character can use the sleeping animation where they will simply cuddle themselves and sleep and recieve no health benefits however remain the same as when they fell asleep.

As it stands now, our characters go into this odd standing up, turning heads, random animations and then an abrupt disappearance of the character and I believe down the road during development, as an idea simple and also paints a finer picture of our characters living in this bleak world of discomfort, hardship and trying to carry on like a true survivor. I can't imagine it taking long to implement if this became a serious idea down the road though I am not a developer.

What are your thoughts on it?

the 2 hour thing I was talking about would only mean you recieve a 10% health bonus if you stayed offline, you don't have to wait 2 hours to play again. Only for the benefit.
Also, I haven't seen or played Rust, so I didn't know they had already done this. Besides, sleeping to save a game or log out isn't exactly a fresh idea, GTA and many others have also done this. I guess seeing how DayZ is about survival, immersive oneself in the game by showing our character nodding off for the night and then waking up when we return to play shows how we carry on in our game.

Edited by MatchboxChick

Not a fan of this in Rust, not a fan of this in DayZ.

I would be ok with my character staying around for a couple minutes(2-5) but being there for 2 hours is just too long and would be frustrating to find a safe spot.

Edited by HeXedMinD

Not a fan of this in Rust, not a fan of this in DayZ.

I would be ok with my character staying around for a couple minutes(2-5) but being there for 2 hours is just too long and would be frustrating to find a safe spot.

the 2 hour thing I was talking about would only mean you recieve a 10% health bonus if you stayed offline, you don't have to wait 2 hours to play again. Only for the benefit.

Also, I haven't seen or played Rust, so I didn't know they had already done this. Besides, sleeping to save a game or log out isn't exactly a fresh idea, GTA and many others have also done this. I guess seeing how DayZ is about survival, immersive oneself in the game by showing our character nodding off for the night and then waking up when we return to play shows how we carry on in our game.

Edited by MatchboxChick

A sleeping animation is not a bad idea, I definitely agree that it would be a more immersive way of logging off. I don't think the sleeping bag and health bonus are necessary though.

Perhaps logging off could also trigger a snoring sound and logging on a yawn, to further discourage ghosting and combat logging. 

Best part of rust that has so many implications to not only combat logging but player interaction.

In rust for example always being in game leads to people being very careful as to who they piss off in game.

Doing wrong by a group or person could lead to his homestead and character being killed and raided .

It's a great idea that is masterfully done in Rust, it fixes combat logging, would eliminate server hopping and would improve the game tenfold while pushing realism forward.

Best part of rust that has so many implications to not only combat logging but player interaction.

In rust for example always being in game leads to people being very careful as to who they piss off in game.

Doing wrong by a group or person could lead to his homestead and character being killed and raided .

It's a great idea that is masterfully done in Rust, it fixes combat logging, would eliminate server hopping and would improve the game tenfold while pushing realism forward.

Time to dig a spider hole then.