Sign in to follow this  
LORDPrometheus

Identifying security weaknesses

In order to hack DayZ players have to acquire specialized software that circumvents BattleEye and VAC. My question is why don't the developers buy some of these programs so they can identify how they are circumventing the safety's and shut down the weaknesses?

I think that they recently have done this, or something similar. I think It was Eugen who said recently (don't take my word on it that it was him) that they had tested the new BattleEye and that so far nothing had succefully past it, or circumvent it or what you want to call it. So I think that they already are doing something like that

They employ at least one person who's entire job is to buy and research hacks. It's not even recent, one of the devs said this half a year ago.

In order to hack DayZ players have to acquire specialized software that circumvents BattleEye and VAC. My question is why don't the developers buy some of these programs so they can identify how they are circumventing the safety's and shut down the weaknesses?

Also something to remember, writing good code takes time. Hacking fixes together is fast, but ultimately doesn't fix anything. Just trades one set of problems for a new set.

I once had to make all the public forms on a web app free from XSS and SQL injection, which is pretty easy... in theory. But this company's implementation of Spring Security was written by a company they had acquired, and it was so shit-house, it took a major re-write and tons of testing, but they didn't have any test automation so I had to write that, then more re-writes, more testing, etc.

Sometimes when problems arise in software, you are presented with a choice:  "quick and dirty", or "the right way". I don't blame you for suggesting this, it's an honest and good suggestion. But it seems to me like Bohemia is choosing "the right way", given how much time they are allocating to security framework and battle-eye re-writes.

Edited by BoopyFriend