Sign in to follow this  
louist

Just returned after almost a year...

... And I'm wondering what's different? Loot spawns seem to be fixed, and I came across a hockey stick, a zucchini, and a welding mask, none of which I recall from before, but otherwise I couldn't detect anything new over the course of a few hours. What's the progress been like?

there's plenty new if you bothered to play, unlike the plethora of these threads...

• Like 4

You could read changelogs or look up on youtube...for the new stuff that was added. 

Edited by DJ SGTHornet
  • Like 2

People have a way of distilling lists of changes into those that have a meaningful impact on their play sessions. But, in an effort to be less of a burden, I had a look at what's changed since April/May. While there looks to be a fair number of new items and some new towns, I didn't experience much different in my few hours of play. Most of the areas I went through had been picked clean of food and weapons, the fire station in Electro had must have had 15 crowbars, and almost as many fire extinguishers, and I saw only 3 zombies. The inventory was still buggy and slow to react, some items I removed teleported to the room above me, while some others just disappeared... My experiences today were not marketly different than they were last spring, though I did spend most of my time trying to not freeze to death. Couldn't find an axe for the life of me.

Edited by louist

Just over a year ago, Bohemia Interactive released DayZ on Steam Early Access. Yesterday DayZ achieved 3,000,000 sales. This is the standalone version of the extremely popular Arma 2 modification created by Dean Hall, that has started and defined an entire genre of video gaming and inspired many other games studios. 

From the beginning of the DayZ Early Access program, the DayZ team has continued to update the game on a regular basis. Since the initial release the team has released 24 updates to the main public branch of the game. 

These updates have been focused on improving DayZ, and have included core redesigns of some of the most significant features including the inventory, multiplayer architecture and map improvements. As the DayZ team outlined in their development plan for 2015, there are many more large improvements in the pipeline, such as the transition to an improved anti-cheat system and multiplayer optimizations. 

One of the largest changes that the DayZ team began in 2014 was to rewrite the core engine. Improving the engine will have significant long term benefits to DayZ and all of DayZ's 3,000,000 players. The name of the new engine is Enfusion. The main benefits to reinventing the core engine are in the upgrades to the renderer, as this will enhance performance for players, and also vastly improve the visual aesthetics of particle effects. In the long run these improvements to the engine will enable DayZ to utilize DirectX 11, which will further enhance the experience of console versions of DayZ. Enfusion will also bring upgraded tools for both the DayZ team and content creators, improving the efficiency of creating official content and modifications. Currently DayZ is still mostly using the Real Virtuality engine, however throughout 2015 DayZ will progressively switch to utilizing Enfusion to a greater extent. 

All of these improvements have been possible due to the expansion of the DayZ team to over 80 people. This expansion allows the project to take on these greater challenges and increase the tempo of development in 2015, bringing more quality updates to DayZ's 3,000,000 players. 

David Durcak the project lead of DayZ had this to say about the amazing milestone: 

"We would like to say thank you to every single one of the three million players, that have joined us on the journey of making DayZ. You all have helped make DayZ the best open world, zombie survival game. This is an amazing achievement, and we are really looking forward to start sharing with you all of our game design improvements, anti-hack solutions and other optimizations we have been working on for a majority of the last year."

• Like 2

there's plenty new if you bothered to play, unlike the plethora of these threads...

And OP as you can see the community is still hostile as cake ;)

Selfedit; language :)

Edited by McWendy

You know what I love?! All these "I've returned after blah blah time, so here's my opinion."

We need much more of these

Returns to game after time away, goes to Elektro, complains of no loot.

A splendid example of how the game has evolved and the OP hasn't.

• Like 4

And OP as you can see the community is still hostile as cake ;)

Selfedit; language :)

I wasn't expecting anything else from this fine community.

Returns to game after time away, goes to Elektro, complains of no loot.

A splendid example of how the game has evolved and the OP hasn't.

Come now, if I spawn outside Electro, naked, soaking, and freezing, I'm going to check Electro. That's a no-brainer. Given the way temperature works right now, you need to grab something to wear as soon as possible. But that's beside the point. Mentioning that I couldn't find an axe =/= equal a no-loot complaint. Heck, if I couldn't find any loot, I probably wouldn't have noticed that the spawns had been fixed. But hey, reading comprehension can be tough, so I wont hold it against you. 

I managed to play again the other night with a friend, and I'm still not seeing a large difference. I appreciate the added content, obviously, but I'm disappointed to see Zombies haven't changed, or that character movement is still a work in progress. I'll give it another go next weekend, and see if anything jumps out.

Edited by louist

I wasn't expecting anything else from this fine community.

Come now, if I spawn outside Electro, naked, soaking, and freezing, I'm going to check Electro. That's a no-brainer. Given the way temperature works right now, you need to grab something to wear as soon as possible. But that's beside the point. Mentioning that I couldn't find an axe =/= equal a no-loot complaint. Heck, if I couldn't find any loot, I probably wouldn't have noticed that the spawns had been fixed. But hey, reading comprehension can be tough, so I wont hold it against you. 

I managed to play again the other night with a friend, and I'm still not seeing a large difference. I appreciate the added content, obviously, but I'm disappointed to see Zombies haven't changed, or that character movement is still a work in progress. I'll give it another go next weekend, and see if anything jumps out.

I wouldn't count on it, they have added verchiles but they will NEVER do anything with the zombies

This game is pretty much dead now, they just add new guns and clothes every few weeks to keep people happy who still defend the game, but your not gonna see much happen in the next few years

They haven't fixed a lot of things like the movement, hotkeys not working properly

I too came back after a long time away, nothing new here worth a mention, disappointed but not surprised

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior
  • Like 1

I wouldn't count on it, they have added verchiles but they will NEVER do anything with the zombies

This game is pretty much dead now, they just add new guns and clothes every few weeks to keep people happy who still defend the game, but your not gonna see much happen in the next few years

They haven't fixed a lot of things like the movement, hotkeys not working properly

I too came back after a long time away, nothing new here worth a mention, disappointed but not surprised

Haha, the game is dead? You are pulling that out of your ass, mate.

Whats changed?

Items/Places

We got some new guns

Some new food

New clothing items

New towns in the north

Rudimentary vehicles

Mechanics:

Hunting

Cooking(Which is bullshit btw)

Temperature effects

(We've now reached the mod in mechanics, a year after release)

Zombies seem to have disappeared from all but the large cities, even then they're fewer than when the SA launched

Loot seems less plentiful IMO, unless you find a bugged barracks full of loot

Haha, the game is dead? You are pulling that out of your ass, mate.

In terms of development it's dead

Nothing much has changed in the last few months

• Like 1

but I'm disappointed to see Zombies haven't changed

Am I the only person who notices that zombies don't all behave in the same way anymore and there is actually a variety?

Yes zombies are still annoying when the server desyncs but there have been massive improvements and there will continue to be improvements....

I'll have to remember to quote this when zombies are improved further.

I hate that they added new villages, Mechanics, guns, clothing and engine updates, THOSE BASTARDS!

They should clearly stop adding new content so we can say the development is dead.

Oh too late.

I wish people would actually view the Change log

Edited by Jesus Christ The Goblin

Just over a year ago, Bohemia Interactive released DayZ on Steam Early Access. Yesterday DayZ achieved 3,000,000 sales."

How many of those 3,000,000 sales would be hackers re buying the game after getting the vac stick......

Am I the only person who notices that zombies don't all behave in the same way anymore and there is actually a variety?Yes zombies are still annoying when the server desyncs but there have been massive improvements and there will continue to be improvements....  I'll have to remember to quote this when zombies are improved further.I hate that they added new villages, Mechanics, guns, clothing and engine updates, THOSE BASTARDS!They should clearly stop adding new content so we can say the development is dead.  Oh too late.I wish people would actually view the Change log

Better games have been released since that have made better development

The forest for example, they concentrated on core mechanics and built a survival game like they promised and only expand when they are ready instead of adding needless items

Over the last six months it's gone from alpha with 2 player to 128 players max per sever

They worked hard on the enemies to make them a threat for example instead of just adding another 20 guns and clothing items

It's one if many

And I've been here since the mod, that's 3 years and zombie improvements have been minimal at best

• Like 1

Nothing much has changed in the last few months

You are also pulling that out of your ass. I can easily find some rather lengthy change logs if you want. :)

"I'll have to remember to quote this when zombies are improved further."

Yeah and I'll remember to quote this when nothing happens again. Just have a look at old thread from 6 to 12 month ago, and you will see that people complain basically about the same things like today. Dont mean new items or stuff, but more the fundamental game basics, which really dont have developed much.

Edited by ErichZann

"Over the last six months it's gone from alpha with 2 player to 128 players max per sever"

What?!  False. 

Development is not dead. Its just people have this strange concept that more early access sales equals more development investment. It does not. 

If anything, the more early access sales fully saturate the market, the less incentive a company driven for financial gain has to increase investments.

So I theorize that I dont think we will ever see an upramp in development speed. But on the flipside, the amount of bad PR a downsizing would cause atleast keeps the team the same size.

I would like to think that the even pace of development so far supports my theory.

I'll give it another go next weekend, and see if anything jumps out.

I can hardly contain my indifference.  Maybe you should leave it for two years next time.

Everyone complains about the quantity of zombies including myself and the responses are:

1.  Improving zombie AI is a more effective method of improving zombie threat than increasing zombie number.

2.  Zombie numbers will be increased in the very last stage of the game before its finished based on server load.

So it doesn't seem likely there will ever be lots of zombies - say like a HORDE of 10-12 walking around together, so zombies will never be a real threat and the game will always be 100% PVP and because it will always be PVP it will always be loaded with hackers.  I don't understand the logic of having pple battle weather rather than tons of zombies, but it is what it is (and not what I thought it was going to become when I bought it).    If this forum had polls like most modern forums and asked 3 million purchasers the number one thing they would like to see in the game I guarentee the top answer would be more zombies - lots more.  This is what we all want, but nobody upstairs cares to listen.  We should be running from them, hiding from them, battling them, dying from them, working together to barricade them out/ escape from them, getting pinned into buildings by hordes of them, ect.  Looting should be risky because of them, growing our own food and avoiding towns should be an advantage bc of them. First you see a couple aggroing, then more come, then there are a dozen of them and more come.  They should be a REAL threat.  Right or wrong?  Its an apopolyptic game about zombies, isn't it?  Right or wrong?

• Like 1

"Over the last six months it's gone from alpha with 2 player to 128 players max per sever"

What?!  False. 

No

Look it up before making accusations

Multiplayer released on 10 NOVEMBER, 2014  

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791435557442/announcements/detail/216498456005885636

and this update log for 1st December 2014:

http://survivetheforest.com/2014/12/v0-10-building-foundations-new-creature-climbing-walkie-talkies/

Read near the bottom

Specifically the part that says:

(multiplayer) default player cap increased to 8 along with option to go up to 128 players (for adventurous players only! not recommended)

So no, it isn't FALSE

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

... And I'm wondering what's different? Loot spawns seem to be fixed, and I came across a hockey stick, a zucchini, and a welding mask, none of which I recall from before, but otherwise I couldn't detect anything new over the course of a few hours. What's the progress been like?

Vehicles, loot, tents, persistence, zombies (both respawning and the majority of their clipping issues), animals, more weapons, more clothes, a tonne of new items, cooking & fires, temperature & wetness, bug fixes, server side performance improvements, fixed the issue of having loot disappear for a minute on dropping it on the ground, work toward implementing the new renderer, physics and sound engines etc, added functionality to almost all of the items, more crafting stuff, map changes and more. A lot of it isn't really, really apparent unless you look for it though. Bigger changes'll be coming this year with massive improvements to zombies, performance and general stuff in game. Should be a great year.

I'd recommend you go to a YouTube channel like WOBO and check the changelog videos out to see what's been added, fixed or improved. There's actually a hell of a lot.

Edited by Beizs
  • Like 1