Sign in to follow this  
franzuu

Get rid of inventory "tetris", its busy work and limiting.

Have all containers have a capacity value. The capacity value should take into account the available volume and to some degree the sturdiness of the container.

Each item should have a weight/volume value that fills the container capacity. A 2kg teddy bear might have the same weight/volume value as a 10 kg box of ammo because of how much volume it takes up.

Random unorganized thoughts:

1. Why do we even have inventory tetris when we can't rotate our items?

2. With the new method balancing backpacks and items would be trivial. Just change 1 value. 

3. To prevent a mosin from fitting in a child's backpack you can have classes of containers that will accept their class or smaller items. Small-medium-large. Can't jam a pumpkin in your cargo pants but cut it into slices and you're good to go.

4. Its stupid that you can only fit 35 batteries in your mountain backpack, this would make things more realistic and just better.

5. I don't know how many items can the engine handle in 1 container or how they are handled. I know that people were crashing their games, servers and bugging their characters on the hive by having too much stuff on them (backpack in backpack). Right now this is a problem for scripters who have too much stuff on them (20 layers of protector cases).

6. Its busywork and slows down the gameplay. Rearranging your items is not fun and the inability to rotate them only adds to that. I do not want to think about it. Why can't it be an organised list by container so you can easily find stuff and look at their conditions/use them?

7. Its not like there is a penalty to taking an item that is in the bottom slot of your backpack vs one on the top. Why this design choice that adds nothing and only complicates? 

8. Item location in container does not correspond to what is destroyed. Get shot in your calves = ruined everything. Shotgun to top of backpack = ruined everything. 

It slows down the already slow gameplay and adds to the clunkyness.    

• Like 8

Devs are already working on this as far as I know.
I thought this was going to be implemented in Q2? 

Devs are already working on this as far as I know.

I thought this was going to be implemented in Q2? 

Afaik they are working on a new UI. Could just be a shinier inventory tetris with item rotation.

I think that if they would implement such a thing then some backpacks suddenly fit guns in them, not really what i would like to see (a sawed off gun in a backpack is enough for me, i don't wan't people to pull a freaking AKM out of their hunting backpacks)

• Like 1

If it is realism you want, they should have different animation of pulling out guns, depending on where the gun is placed in your inventory. For example : You place a handgun in your trowsers or in a gun holster around your waist (why only chest holster :s).  Drawing this weapon will give you an animation where the arm goes to that area of the body and pulls out the weapon.

If you place that handgun in your Assault vest or chest holster, the animation should be slightly different, but still quite fast.

If you place the handgun in your backpack, the animation should be taking off your pack and grabing the weapon, and it should take a lot longer....

And also (IMHO) : an AKM, AK101 and M4 would all be able fit inside a hunting, tortilla or mountain bacpack, providing the buttstock is removed or folded. Shooting a gun without a stock should obviously increase recoil etc. Also, taking an assault rifle out of you backpack should take longer than a handgun.

Offcourse, if this is implemented in the current system, those who hate playing inventory tetris would spend even more time placing stuff in the right slots..

Altough i am not opposed to the current system, i think the system could use some rethinking in general.

Edited by nillie
  • Like 1

But inventory tetris is fun.

Haha, unconventional idea of fun.

I just feel like DayZ being as slow as it is due to the size of the map, people per server, loot distribution and ways to get around (fixing rare vehicles), there really shouldn't be any auxiliary annoyances slowing stuff down and breaking up the action. The UI and player controls shouldn't shape the gameplay.

Life is feudal have a interesting backpack system in my opinion.

Here's a screenshot :

http://www.google.co.th/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn-g.tecnogcdn.com/images/articulos/2013/10/life-is-feudal-03.jpg&imgrefurl=http://lifeisfeudal.com/forum/realistic-weight-carrying-capacity-solves-many-issues-t782/&h=768&w=1024&tbnid=MqUcvQWW-wfRiM:&zoom=1&docid=R6B43LqBjmYKmM&ei=6Ma_VMWAEcLM8gXgqYHICw&tbm=isch

Everything is base on weight of item (I think both weight and dimension at the same time is a better system by the way), but their is no grid and items can pile up one on top of each others. If an object is at the bottom of your backpack, it will take you time to move other items and find the one you need. Something that many people have asked for (animation needing time to check your backpack instead of a instant access to all your inventory) and that is quite realistic and make sense.

This system could be extend to any containers (pockets on trousers and jackets, vehicles, etc.).

Life is feudal have a interesting backpack system in my opinion.

Here's a screenshot :

http://www.google.co.th/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn-g.tecnogcdn.com/images/articulos/2013/10/life-is-feudal-03.jpg&imgrefurl=http://lifeisfeudal.com/forum/realistic-weight-carrying-capacity-solves-many-issues-t782/&h=768&w=1024&tbnid=MqUcvQWW-wfRiM:&zoom=1&docid=R6B43LqBjmYKmM&ei=6Ma_VMWAEcLM8gXgqYHICw&tbm=isch

Everything is base on weight of item (I think both weight and dimension at the same time is a better system by the way), but their is no grid and items can pile up one on top of each others. If an object is at the bottom of your backpack, it will take you time to move other items and find the one you need. Something that many people have asked for (animation needing time to check your backpack instead of a instant access to all your inventory) and that is quite realistic and make sense.

This system could be extend to any containers (pockets on trousers and jackets, vehicles, etc.).

That is certainly an interesting and unique invontory system. I'm still leaning towards an orderly list or an icon grid setup (H1Z1 has both, WarZ has the latter). 

While the "Life is feudal" one looks good, with items having durability and other properties (wetness, temperature, and how much left) I feel that those properties can be better represented in those inventory styles. It should be apparent at a glace whats up with an item, I shouldn't wait for an on hover popup.

In a list it can be

Carrot (RUINED)       2

Pants (worn)             1

Grenade                   3

Bottle of water 50%   1

Brown hat (WET)      1

whatever

TU1mLKB.png

Edited by Franzuu
  • Like 2

Beans given for 80% Pants and Wet Sack.

Agreed that the inventory system needs a little love, and I too would like to see it based on volume rather than slots.

• Like 1

I think its cool,that every bag / clothes has defined number of slots and you have to decide what you will give where. If this is supposed to be survive simulator you should do this. But why not to put some rpg systems? Every respawn spawn with some "strenght" (how much you can carry). Which would increase when you will be not hungry and will bring enought things with you. But why to pack guns and tent into backpack? It could be possible to add it to bag with rope. (when will you want to use it it would take some time to unpack it). 

Richard.Ferrando.Backpacking..jpg

Wouldn't mind an ACE mod style inventory system myself where every item has cubic inches or cm and then inventory is filled that way.

• Like 2

H1Z1 inventory system looks way better than DayZ's. That's how it should be, like in Project Zomboid or Arma 3. Tetris is just a no go.

DayZs is crude, but I like it the way it is. Some of these things are stuff I see as 'the charm of the game'.

But I really do not want to have to calculate to that degree in game, I would rather grab my fav pack and know how many slots there are. Simple and efficient. Not interested in making a meta game out of inventory and maths.

I do like that kind of system on ES games however.

I'd prefer a STALKER-style system where weight is the main contributing factor to inventory size. Seems silly that a piece of paper or a pen takes up the same space as a can of beans.

Some sort of size limit should be imposed so you can't put an axe in a jacket pocket, but that should be secondary to a weight-based system.

Going 10% over the weight limit should incur a speed/ stamina/ etc penalty. Any more should stop the player from moving, or incur a massive speed penalty that all but stops them from moving.

Going 10% over the weight limit should incur a speed/ stamina/ etc penalty. Any more should stop the player from moving, or incur a massive speed penalty that all but stops them from moving.

Thats how arma 3 handles it and by god does it do a fantastic job.

The more weight you carry the slower your sprint, jog speeds are and the shorter your sprint time is . You also get fatigued when going up hills if you have a heavy load.

It works quite nicely and it is a progressive approach so the more you add the slower you become allowing the player to try to find their own sweet spot with the gear they carry.

Only thing that I believe is missing is a good weight indicator in the inventory menu a simple box with green, yellow and red indicating stress on the player would work.

• Like 1

H1Z1 inventory system looks way better than DayZ's.

Oh god no, just... no.

I, for one, would like to keep the current system and have the game play that russian tetris theme song when the inventory is opened. Also, Jagged Alliance 2 unofficial patch = best inventory tetris ever. Much fun.

Edited by Chzy
  • Like 3

absolutely TETRIS FTW! A much finer grid along with the possibility to rotate or maybe even mirror objects would solve some of your issues undoubtedly. In addition, seeing the stamina system coming in place in the distant future, a maximum weight might be also a feature we are most certainly going to see afterwards.

two examples:

• an empty 30l canister is so light you might carry 30 of them, but it surely wouldn't fit into a backpack.
  • you could fill a backpack completely with ammunition, would it be able to bear that weight, not so sure about that.

So my personal favorit is a fine tetris-like grid with objects rotatable and a maximum weight for every pocket, bag and rucksack

• Like 1

I also think you should be able to stuff things inside ammo boxes and maybe even some small misc items in medical kits besides ammo and medical stuff, maybe with some kind of catch. There is no black magic in the world that prevents you from storing your sodas or your hunter pants inside of an ammo box, folded up basic training style you could fit dozens of shirts into an ammo box.

absolutely TETRIS FTW! A much finer grid along with the possibility to rotate or maybe even mirror objects would solve some of your issues undoubtedly. In addition, seeing the stamina system coming in place in the distant future, a maximum weight might be also a feature we are most certainly going to see afterwards.

two examples:

• an empty 30l canister is so light you might carry 30 of them, but it surely wouldn't fit into a backpack.
  • you could fill a backpack completely with ammunition, would it be able to bear that weight, not so sure about that.

So my personal favorit is a fine tetris-like grid with objects rotatable and a maximum weight for every pocket, bag and rucksack

1. It doesn't need to be at all about the weight. Weight and volume can be totally different. And there can be certain limitations. You could carry 30 canisters if you can fit them somehow... Or you can carry 30 pencils and it's like nothing.

2. You could but we got stamina system coming. Heavy inventory -> forced to walk or like in Project Zomboid also a chance to break your back at any time.

/Oh and protector cases etc would actually then take space so you can actually have less stuff but just protected like in real life.

Edited by St. Jimmy

H1Z1 is ridiculous.... i saw video where guy was running because some other guy hunted him. He picked blueberries and stick during sprint...  Also i think there is needed to have inventory where its management takes some time. Because you have to be careful when looting.

H1Z1 is ridiculous.... i saw video where guy was running because some other guy hunted him. He picked blueberries and stick during sprint... Also i think there is needed to have inventory where its management takes some time. Because you have to be careful when looting.

Dayz Is not do good in that regard either.

You can full Sprint and have access to your entire inventory that's dumb. No animation no nothing.

One word: Oversimplification

Is this bad? Yes.

Why? It removes depth and messes up authenticity. Weight works differently than shape and an unhandy shape should be unhandy. It also removes any benefit for thoughful inventory management while improving giving more advantages to players who do not care. One of the good elements in DayZ is that logistics do matter and a generic capacity value would hurt this.

1. Why do we even have inventory tetris when we can't rotate our items?

Why not add the ability to rotate items?

2. With the new method balancing backpacks and items would be trivial. Just change 1 value.

How is this a good thing? Also you got less tradeoffs in backpack balance but only generic upgrades. You cannot have multiple "best choices" with only one value.

3. To prevent a mosin from fitting in a child's backpack you can have classes of containers that will accept their class or smaller items. Small-medium-large. Can't jam a pumpkin in your cargo pants but cut it into slices and you're good to go.

Why not just stick with the added depth and authenticity while working on this issues (like minimum size and lack of rotation).

4. Its stupid that you can only fit 35 batteries in your mountain backpack, this would make things more realistic and just better.

Last part is b*l*s*h*t - a single generic value does not make things more realistic. However, where your idea is horrible for bigger items it does indeed work for smaller ones. Now you could just fix the size of certain items but if this would result in too small icons it might also work to add a "generic bag" for very small items only.

5. I don't know how many items can the engine handle in 1 container or how they are handled. I know that people were crashing their games, servers and bugging their characters on the hive by having too much stuff on them (backpack in backpack). Right now this is a problem for scripters who have too much stuff on them (20 layers of protector cases).

Why not just fix the layering bug then?

6. Its busywork and slows down the gameplay. Rearranging your items is not fun and the inability to rotate them only adds to that. I do not want to think about it. Why can't it be an organised list by container so you can easily find stuff and look at their conditions/use them?

Why would you give the full benefits of inventory managemant to someone who does not invest effort into inventory management? I do not think it is the spirit of the game to have your character organize everything perfectly in no time. Trivializing inventory management only buffs lazy people (not saying you should not be allowed to pay lazy but it should come with downsides).

7. Its not like there is a penalty to taking an item that is in the bottom slot of your backpack vs one on the top. Why this design choice that adds nothing and only complicates?

I guess it also adds depth and allows to reward thoughtfulness and effort over being lazy and careless. Again it should be possible to play lazy and careless - but it should nver net you the full advantage.

8. Item location in container does not correspond to what is destroyed. Get shot in your calves = ruined everything. Shotgun to top of backpack = ruined everything.

Definitely an issue that should be addressed in some way. But

It slows down the already slow gameplay and adds to the clunkyness.

"Lets remove depth from the game so I can get to the 13375N1P1N6 faster without having any drawbacks!"

I do not think playes should be forced into lots of inventory management but to get the full benefits for their capacity and overview the should put in some effort. Otherwise its okay if the can carry a little less or take a little longer to equip a particular item.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 1