GregzTheGreat

Ghillie suit discussion.

Sounded like there was a bug where during resets the helicopters would move but their loot would stay in place... I think that was giving people the impression they were invisible. 

Ah, that's added some clarity. I suppose that right now, there are spots for heli crash sights, totally unlooted, and possibly built up over time, yet no one has ever had the insight to find it?

This is inspiring to say the least.

Hmm... I just found bag No. 10 and craftet a full Suit. While having two full greeen spray cans, they still can not be used on the full suit atm, right?

Well the render is also broken in DayZ ATM so we can only pray to the coding GOD that we will get something useful in the future.

Gillie suit sucks lmfao

If you are in berezino roof tops, and a sniper is shooting you from far away, u can spot them easily due to the fact, the grass does not load far away, so u can spot them even easier lol.

They are a huge moving bush in the middle of a field with no grass lmfao

thats not true because over 400 m the game doesnt render u at all when ur prone while wearing a ghillie suit.

Gillie suit sucks lmfao

If you are in berezino roof tops, and a sniper is shooting you from far away, u can spot them easily due to the fact, the grass does not load far away, so u can spot them even easier lol.

They are a huge moving bush in the middle of a field with no grass lmfao

It sucks a bit (which is why I've given up on them), but certainly not for those reasons (as Munson says).

The downs for me are the heat build up and the lack of a backpack.

Experience: Recently I completed a full Ghillie set (headwrap, gunwrap, full suit) but I was unfortunately killed by someone speed hacking while lying in prone before I got to use it effectively, but some notes for it.

-Spray painting does indeed work, be sure you use green before black if you're planning on going mossy (I'd recommend just straight green as it blends in with more environments). If you're still having trouble with it you may need to drop it and spray it while it is not in your inventory.

-Wear a green vest, as someone else pointed out the black ones tend to bug through the ghillie and it is REALLY obvious.

-Having Ghillie in any way, shape or form WILL get you killed on sight. People are afraid of other people, mainly because no one wants to lose their hardened survivor and their gear. If you're spotted you will likely be killed before any interactions can take place. I would suggest not creating the Ghillie set until you have enough materials to make it all in one go, having pieces (lets say just the headwrap) is still a red flag and you will likely be killed on sight. Make the entire set at once when you're ready to ditch your pack.

-Be sure to stick with rifles and spray them green, as well as your fire axe or consider swapping it for a woodcutter axe (handle blends better). Even with the gunwrap the metal finishing on default rifle models sticks out badly, go green or camo pattern.

-As someone had pointed out already the suit isn't as important as the head and gunwrap if you're sniping (since your legs will be hidden for the most part), but the full set is definitely fun.

-From what Ive seen TTskO blends much better with the green ghillie but, as someone stated, isn't waterproof like the Gorka. Its a tough decision to make, but for either set you choose I'd recommend at least wearing green wellies, they will blend and at the very minimum they will at least keep your feet dry.

-Bring an empty backpack with you and throw your suit in the pack when you're on the move to prevent overheating and flagging yourself. When you're within say 200m of your AO throw your set on and drop your pack. Obviously choose a pack that will blend with your environment. You can also throw some minor supplies in the other pockets to allow you to stay put for longer. Items I would recommend is a little food/water (I *THINK* canned peaches are currently the best overall option), a set of guts (used as a heating device), sewing/leather kit, and a stack of rags (for later when you're outside your AO to make a fireplace kit). If you went for the full bodysuit you will generally stay very warm or hot, so try to keep to colder servers, conversely if you went for the bushrag stick to warmer servers. Temperature is your main enemy when you're sitting around in your ghillie. If you choose to go without a backpack at all, always stick to the treelines (obviously) and move slowly and deliberately, you need to maintain a safe temperature at all times

-Practice playing without a backpack (except for optional ghillie storage as listed above), the better you can sustain yourself without one the better off you will be when you opt to go ghillie. This will lead you to often make tough choices about what to take and what to leave behind and you may end up leaving valuable stuff behind that is not conducive to your survival. Start out with one early to help you hoard the stuff needed for the set, but try to always have empty space. It is very hard to ditch a pack once you've filled it with all sorts of goodies you want to keep, you're better off keeping the slots open or filled with expendable supplies so you can drop it when you have to with minimal contemplation and inventory tetris. It also wont be of any loss to your character if you use the method above and for whatever reason you need to book it out of the area and don't have time to drag your pack with you. As with any character type really having protector cases is very valuable and can give you some leeway with keeping stuff.

-Should be obvious but if you engage with someone you should move, once they have an idea of your location they will start to zero in, be an inconspicuous bush a little off the location of your last shot to keep them guessing.

-Play on night servers, it will dramatically increase your odds of not being detected and allows you to be much closer in proximity to your AO without fear.

If I think of anything else I will let you know.

• Like 1

I have had the rap and head peace for some time now and recently went with the top. I just wanted to try it out to see if I like it or not. I think it totally fits my play style, I am a somewhat lone wolf stealthy player that enjoys pvp and the survival aspects of the game, so really it seals the deal. I have also become more of a minimalist recently anyways.

I carefully figured out a kit, that wound work well without a back pack. To my surprise I am still able to carry most of what I had before. I created a stone knife as well which only takes on slot. Basicly 1st aid kit, stone knife, matches, leather repair, sewing kit, ammo, canteens, range finder, compass and food. Mosin, axe and no side arm.

I find that heating up is an issue, so purposely getting wet seems to help keep it at bay, also drinking often. Also not sprinting and stopping at times helps. I find if I need to travel far fast, that finding a dry bag helps. Just through the suit in the pack and haul ass. So am finding out you don't really need to have it on all the time.

For me I think it fits my play style like a glove. Yes it has pros and cons but I like the challenge and advantages.

Not really worried about KOSers, hackers somewhat of a concern.

Edited by CJFlint

I always run the full suit and smersh rig. WIth a winchester model 70 im practically invisible. Best people hunting kit out there

I run full ghillie all the time , when in PvE and PvE mode. 

The true master set up is simple. 

(Depending on server weather temps) 

Full ghillie. improved leatherback pack, smersh vest, M65 , TTSKo pants ,green jungle or wallies , Winchester or VSS (depending on range) camo face mask. If you use half suit use Summer hunting camo pants, they blend in best at closer ranges . 

Use green for grass fields. black for pine trees ,and default brown for those brown bushes, saw grass ,hay piles 

with this set up you have max storage when ghillie suit is on . Plus you can store your back pack in your jacket or vest. 
Back pack is large enough to store your suit when you're ready to make a run . 
If you pack a improvised knife, cooking pot, and fish net trap. you don't need to store food on you. Simple quick fishing trip at a pond to fill up with food and water . and get back to your over watch positions . A gas cooking stove can also be useful to quickly cook meals with out risk of fires giving away your location 

• Like 2

On 2/29/2016 at 2:33 PM, Zurvivalist said:

I run full ghillie all the time , when in PvE and PvE mode. 

The true master set up is simple. 

(Depending on server weather temps) 

Full ghillie. improved leatherback pack, smersh vest, M65 , TTSKo pants ,green jungle or wallies , Winchester or VSS (depending on range) camo face mask. If you use half suit use Summer hunting camo pants, they blend in best at closer ranges . 

Use green for grass fields. black for pine trees ,and default brown for those brown bushes, saw grass ,hay piles 

with this set up you have max storage when ghillie suit is on . Plus you can store your back pack in your jacket or vest. 
Back pack is large enough to store your suit when you're ready to make a run . 
If you pack a improvised knife, cooking pot, and fish net trap. you don't need to store food on you. Simple quick fishing trip at a pond to fill up with food and water . and get back to your over watch positions . A gas cooking stove can also be useful to quickly cook meals with out risk of fires giving away your location 

Love this post... thanks for the tips.  Question, do you use a secondary weapon?  Or just roll with the Winchester / VSS?  Also, I heard (haven't tried it) that you can only use the fishing trap in the ocean, not ponds, can you confirm?

Thanks!

Edited by lingo

Was at the military base in Zeleno with a friend and some freshy had picked up a ghili and was laying at the north west  corner of the wall where there is high grass and debris. He was yelling "waaaah" when people approached the dead player next to him. Eventually we found him after laying 2 meters from him for a while. We let him live for making us laugh, his ghili did get ruined tho after we shot at him.

Made a ghili once, and never again. We tend to play very aggressively and take many risks, so dying is likely. Creeping around in the bushes for hours is not for me.

Edited by anderswhk

But i love my ghillie.......

I had one in .60, until i went hyperthermic in 5 seconds, all grey and shit, and said enough of this crap.

Then died.

But your right, low graphics cards get the bonus of no rendering, then and now.