GregzTheGreat

Ghillie suit discussion.

Hello. Was hoping to get some stories and experiences from people regarding the Ghillie suit, be it their own or someone else's. I ask this because, I own one myself, and want to learn the proper way of utilising it. Also the Ghillie suit is intriguing by nature and I'm sure a few good stories of adventure out there in Cherno would be satisfying for anyone skimming the forums.

Have they fixed the full Ghillie suit paint glitch yet? I'd love to be able to make the full suit and not worry about looking like a hay bale.

Stories and experiences:  If I see a player in a ghillie suit I shoot them.

Paint glitch:  I know you can paint the ghillie over a gun but I'm not sure about the entire suit.  I have heard you need to spray paint it green before you can spray paint it black though.

• Like 1

Paint glitch:  I know you can paint the ghillie over a gun but I'm not sure about the entire suit.  I have heard you need to spray paint it green before you can spray paint it black thougI sup

I suppose you fire over fear of death?

Well, for the record, I am always friendly, unless I'm alone... then I am simply a bush.

• Like 4

Unfortunately that's true. I don't like it but ghillie is like a mark of manhunter.

I have heard you need to spray paint it green before you can spray paint it black though.

It is true AFAIK.

Well, for the record, I am always friendly, unless I'm alone... then I am simply a bush.

Wouldn't that make you a friendly shrub?

Unfortunately that's true. I don't like it but ghillie is like a mark of manhunter.

Says the guy that shoots people for wearing them. Seems to me stereotyping is also the mark of a manhunter. 

I was sporting one for a few hours around Berezino... I actually had good intentions with an "overwatch" concept at a lucrative loot area where I expected some banditry but went for a stroll in the woods in my area for awhile to record some distances and got killed without warning on my way back. I let it go since I knew it looked bad and I was pretty sure that this was the prevailing mentality whether the person knew I was there actually trying to protect the freshies as opposed to shooting them. 

It's a bit of a ripoff anyway since most of the foliage the ghillie is designed to blend in with isn't even rendered at the distance where you spend more of your time from your potential enemies... Even tree roots I thought would provide excellent cover in the absence of actual brush aren't rendered until you get pretty close. My DayZ partner did some view checks on me from various distances and I was really, really annoyed at how exposed it makes you unless you're sitting COMPLETELY still. It helps if people don't know EXACTLY where to look- but it's still an overrated garment considering most have the stereotype mentioned above. Don't get me wrong, probably for good reason- same way I think of guys with motorcycle helmets on... or basically say "friendly," or are alive. Ghillies get a bad rap... bandits... KOS... guys with red dry bags... guys with Russian accents... everyone... You're just as liable to get killed by the guy who kills everyone in a ghillie on sight as you are to get killed by the person who will kill anyone anyway- so you might as well run with it and see how far you make it.

I'm going to go try it again but I'm going to try and "transit" with a backpack- I can stow the suit in there and carry what I need in my hicap vest. When I'm in position I can stash the drybag / backpack and put the ghillie on. 

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 6

I suppose you fire over fear of death?

I fire because the only reason to wear the ghillie suit is to hide.  Philosophically we could boil that down to fear of death I suppose.  Either way I have enough trust issues with this game as it is.

• Like 3

I used to sit on the side of the road in bushes in high traffic areas and watch people run directly passed me. I'm pretty sure a fresh spawn ran about within 1m of me and didn't notice me. That is the most fun I have had with ghillies but they are also useful for spooking players - sometimes I take a warning shot and watch them scatter - half the time they cannot see where you're firing from if you are prone

• Like 3

SERIOUSLY! This is how damn effective the ghillie is. First fire fight with it, in a really shitty position and I not only survived I wiped out their entire squad. Out manned, out gunned but out of sight.

• Like 1

SERIOUSLY! This is how damn effective the ghillie is. First fire fight with it, in a really shitty position and I not only survived I wiped out their entire squad. Out manned, out gunned but out of sight.

fine vid my good man, an absolute bloodbath :)

• Like 1

Says the guy that shoots people for wearing them. Seems to me stereotyping is also the mark of a manhunter. 

The funniest thing that still I never met a survivor in ghillie suit in SA (so I couldn't kill him) but was KOSed twice (not in "hot" locations + unarmed) wearing it. :D

And, yeah... stereotypes. But not without reasons. IRL and in Dayz Mod ghillie suit became a symbol of snipers (=killers).

I can confirm that every piece except the full ghillie suit can be spray painted. That's the reason I stick to the ghillie bushrag for now. But it'll probably be fixed with next patch, maybe even today.

The only encounter I had was with a woodland bushrag and hood on, in the middle of a field next to the mil base in Zelenogorsk. A guy with the same camo was standing next to a bush and turning round and round, looking for something. I was looking for crash sites and only saw him when I was maybe 30m away. Quickly held up my hand, F1, thinking he already saw me, but he just turned and turned, while I stood in the middle of the damn field without any cover. Pulled my AKS and shot him then... So... if you're standing still, a ghillie can save your life.

If you are standing still. It is important to note that it gives you a significantly wider silhouette though. We tested this, at a distance of couple hundred meters, if you are moving, you are more visible with a ghillie.

Plus some players see you bugged out. In our group several saw each other without clothes rendered at about six hundred meters. White undies = very much visible!

fine vid my good man, an absolute bloodbath :)

Thanks man. I really appreciate it. It would have been better if I wasn't shaking so bad due to cold.

The Ghillie suit can be a powerful tool when used properly.

One of the guys I play with was trying to craft the full suit over about 3 life spans, the rest of us chipped in and helped him finish it ..... finally. Once completed however he was not super happy with it as he had to lose his backpack and it simply consumed to much space to store for his liking. It would be nice if it could be rolled up when stored to reduce space demands.

Personally i prefer to have my backpack with all my gear and supplies over the ghillie.

I have to Check myself for Phantom breaks because my scope allways sways like MAD when i was running around like that.

Edited by Munson_fry

The funniest thing that still I never met a survivor in ghillie suit in SA (so I couldn't kill him) but was KOSed twice (not in "hot" locations + unarmed) wearing it. :D

And, yeah... stereotypes. But not without reasons. IRL and in Dayz Mod ghillie suit became a symbol of snipers (=killers).

Snipers =\= Killers

By that logic, anyone with a gun is a killer. 

I spend a lot of time sitting on hills and watching towns so I can take down people I see killing bambi's

All you need are the Ghillie Hood and Ghillie Gun Wrap. In my personal experience/opinion, the Bushrag/Top/Suit don't benefit you enough to ditch your backpack. When sniping, you're most worried about concealing your head and weapon as your ass end is generally stuck in a tree.

Also, you can't currently spray paint the Suit, which sucks.

• Like 3

i have 3 gillie chars so far.

one is in full gillie suit (10x Burlap Strip and 4x Netting) and suffers great shaking (cant bother to sit between the fires so im quietly waiting for hive restart) with olive high capicity vest ( they tend to bug thru the suit which makes the black one kind of mehhh ) He's my most sucessful wookie - at first i thought inability to paint the full suit will bring a huge drawback but as I've soon find out there's plenty of bright undergrowth in chernarus.As long as you dont hide in Pine trees your suit wont stand out. I especialy like the noisy, bright overgrown grass which you can find plenty as you move towards NW part of the map. My most "succesfull" momment was when a random group of  guys failed to spot me some 30m away from me in prone position. We got into a firefight and my friend died. The remaining guy looted my friends body right infront of me. I couldn't let that happen, so i killed him. After regrouping we headed towards vybor mil base.It was our little mission to claim the base & the hill back since we tottaly failed killing an armed group camping the hill the day before. As he approaches the barracks i was crawling up the hill making sure its clear. At that momment, my friend got shot at so i ran into the base and parked myself next to the concrete wall, pretending to be just another bush. I watched the entrance of the barracks my friend ran into. They guy parked himself infront of the barracks waiting for him to come out. Little he knew i was watching him right between the eyes the whole time. after we dealt with the agressor we moved into the prison building where i had to go afk for several minutes.We were about to leave the prison when we suddenly met my bro, painted gillie top guy. Sorry, there can be only one true bush.This was my first time i could compare both suits and tbh, i would not paint mine green if i were talking same location. He stood out. 

My 2nd character has the painted gillie top+wrap+hood but it didnt see much action yet. 3rd one has the cheapest gillie top of them all. Like most of you said, the top isnt really much of importance, the wrap and the hood however, help allot when it comes to conceiling yourself when you're lying on the floor.the only real advantage i see in a full gillie is the fact your legs are somewhat hidden so its harder to spot you from behind.

Just for the challenge I love gillie suits Wether im playing with a bow or mosin.The lack of space is something a horder would never give up, but the longer i play the less i need. If you+re rolling with high capacity and protectors box or another vest you can already carry more than u need to survive on your own.I have to say i absolutely love improvised knife. Its the best next thing to the combat knife, which i, will prolly never find and it takes only one slot.

The weather however is another thing and i hope it will be reballanced soon.Tbh its the most annoying thing when playing a gillie char. I almost died from overheating by doing absolutely nothing.I was lying on the floor when i noticed dark red "im dying of overheating" Luckily i found a big mountain backpack to improvise a bit. I figured ill get rid of gorka waterproof for ttsko gear. I was still overheating as hell. I took off the gillie, jacket, vest... still the same. I hardly made it to the first pound with my picture blured out and sat in untill my status went back to "hot". Im seriously considering of letting my friend beat the shiet out of my ttsko set into badly dammaged to avoid overheating.Gorka seems way too hot for movement.

30 minutes after i was already shaking/freezing. all this after one RAIN. seriously -.- . I was bathing in a pound for 10 minutes to reach "hot" status and some rain will freeze me to death -.-  I put back gorka set & sat infront of two fires with two guts in my jacket for no effect. Really annoying and not worth the effort of collecting 14 burlap sacks..Now i can put him next to other two snipers who are completely useless. i rather yolo cherno than sit by the fire 1 hr. aint nobody got time for that.

Something is just way off here and i hope it gets balanced more properly, untill than you're fine with gun wrap and hood only.

I almost died overheating lying in the grass and 30minutes after im freezing to death whilst running, making fire and whatnot.

This is not at all realistic.

Edited by halp

Well, I never expected such as successful chat. Thanks everyone, I very much enjoyed reading all of the things you had to say. Hopefully we can do this again soon :)

I understand you may think of me stereotypically as a killer because I like the idea of concealment, but ultimately, you'll never know if you never try. Always try to speak. A lot of the time people are only scared, and if you can reduce that fear, you're more likely to get away with a great interaction, other than a bloodbath and anger.

I was sporting one for a few hours around Berezino... I actually had good intentions with an "overwatch" concept at a lucrative loot area where I expected some banditry but went for a stroll in the woods in my area for awhile to record some distances and got killed without warning on my way back. I let it go since I knew it looked bad and I was pretty sure that this was the prevailing mentality whether the person knew I was there actually trying to protect the freshies as opposed to shooting them. 

It's a bit of a ripoff anyway since most of the foliage the ghillie is designed to blend in with isn't even rendered at the distance where you spend more of your time from your potential enemies... Even tree roots I thought would provide excellent cover in the absence of actual brush aren't rendered until you get pretty close. My DayZ partner did some view checks on me from various distances and I was really, really annoyed at how exposed it makes you unless you're sitting COMPLETELY still. It helps if people don't know EXACTLY where to look- but it's still an overrated garment considering most have the stereotype mentioned above. Don't get me wrong, probably for good reason- same way I think of guys with motorcycle helmets on... or basically say "friendly," or are alive. Ghillies get a bad rap... bandits... KOS... guys with red dry bags... guys with Russian accents... everyone... You're just as liable to get killed by the guy who kills everyone in a ghillie on sight as you are to get killed by the person who will kill anyone anyway- so you might as well run with it and see how far you make it.

I'm going to go try it again but I'm going to try and "transit" with a backpack- I can stow the suit in there and carry what I need in my hicap vest. When I'm in position I can stash the drybag / backpack and put the ghillie on. 

Is persistence reliable enough to have that happen? I've never utilised persistence before. I often hear of "hive wipes" which I assume is the name given to the action of deleting everyone's DayZ character, forcing everyone to start again. Is this happening soon? If this is the case, I want to find someone to give my suit to, or go out in a firefight.

Until the draw distance is improved they have limited value vs the time investment in making one imo. There are situations even now when it is a huge advantage but for most situations I'd rather have my kit bag.

• Like 1

Is persistence reliable enough to have that happen? I've never utilised persistence before. I often hear of "hive wipes" which I assume is the name given to the action of deleting everyone's DayZ character, forcing everyone to start again. Is this happening soon? If this is the case, I want to find someone to give my suit to, or go out in a firefight.

Reliably? Not sure... but one thing I do know for sure (and that I was amazed by) is that I once put my drybag down at the NWAF to reduce my profile as I minced around the area trying to avoid detection... I was new- what can I say. Anyway I put it in a very specific spot... ended up either resetting the server or getting kicked from it or crashing (whatever happened)- went into another server because I kept getting the "wait for host"... kind of forgot I'd switched servers (again, I was new) and went back looking for it. OF COURSE it wasn't there in the new server. 

I came online here to talk about it and get some more information- the suggestion was that it had been wiped until I realized I'd switched servers. In fact, I didn't even know what server it was. Probably a week later I was playing with ZH (my accomplice) in some random public server and ended up at the NWAF. He says, "Hey! I just found a dry bag FULL of equipment!"

Guess who's drybag that was? Obviously we ended up in the same server again (I have a few familiar ones that I will go to with him since he's quite young and they're less populated) and my drybag was not as hidden as I thought lol.

Now, with that all being said your experience may differ and I don't think there was a total server "wipe" that occurred in the meantime- but if I were in a persistence on server I'd be confident putting my gear down under a tree behind me a bit to put on my ghillie. If the server resets, I'm pretty sure it'll still be there when I get back. With that said, I probably wouldn't do it on a Wednesday...  

Edited by ENO75