Max Planck

'Total: Warhammer' is official!

Of course it was going to happen, but they have been so coy about it. Not any more!

RPS also has an article on the matter. Join me in the comments!

What do you guys think? Is this the best thing that's ever going to happen?

Personally I would rather have an exact copy of the tabletop game on my pc, even if it meant giving GW all my cash for extra helmet feathers for my puny elves, but I'll take this too.

Oh, will I ever.

No preorder though, not after Rome2.

EDIT:

I lied. I lied about the name, it's 'Total War: Warhammer'. Talk about a missed opportunity.

Edited by Max Planck
My nose, oh so long.

I'm not Warhammer fan so I'm disappointed. I would prefer Medieval 3. :lol: TW series stopped in its development. They make better graphics but simplify all other things. They are lazy to make more unique maps for different territories. Unfortunately, looking at their current products, I'm not sure that they will be able to outdo mods for M2TW. :)

PS Good point about Rome 2. :D

Edited by Zyryanoff

I started playing TW with Medieval2, since I've gotten Empire and Rome2 (boo!). I'm one of the odd ones who actually really liked Empire, I think the large scope of the game was just right. I liked the artillery too.

For Total Warhammer, I hope they will draw heavily on what is already there (lore, map, unit types, art direction) and not try to 'invent' too much.

HOLY SHIET! Finally! There was some mod for Medieval 2 and after that I've been fantasy about this.

Too bad that the tabletop game seems to go in a bad direction in the next edition. 8 ed. is bad with random dice roll charges and bad magic. Next edition will likely be even more random...

Hello there

I remember the times before GW and GDW

ah, happy memories of their basement shop at 100 Oxford Street where all RPGs lived side by side no matter the company making them and when lead figures were cheap and had metal bases.

GW have become such a cash machine I dont have much faith in any software or theirs being anything remarkable. I hope im proved wrong.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

I remember the times before GW and GDW

ah, happy memories of their basement shop at 100 Oxford Street where all RPGs lived side by side no matter the company making them and when lead figures were cheap and had metal bases.

GW have become such a cash machine I dont have much faith in any software or theirs being anything remarkable. I hope im proved wrong.

Rgds

LoK

It does appear that it was better back in the old days, from what I can see (only being a youngling myself), the prices have been raised so much for stuff which shouldn't be that price its ridiculous, it's not like 40k for instance has diversity, literally half the armies are space marine chapters (which also have the most models) and the others are chucked in for filler, there's no interest in buying another army at the moment purely because of the price and the fact that if I want a cool army which isn't a space marine chapter I'll have to get conversion parts.

The stores aren't the best either, the creepy blokes working their practically hump you and try to get you to fish out enough money from your mothers and fathers account because a 35 pound book says so.

And then there's forgeworld, literally the stupidest idea known to man, making a company which sells models for the same amount of money I dream of getting through saving up all year, for 5 small models.

There's also the fine cast miniatures, crappy resin moods which look like they were made by a 5 year old with shitty packaging being repeatedly told to us that they are the best models EVAR, this also means you have to fork out more money to get GW's special hobby shit which I could get down in hobbycraft for a quarter of the price GW sells it.

Oh, and the lore is rubbish now, it's literally.

Has it got Genocide?

Do lots of people die?

No humour?

Does it include long phrases about religon?

Does it have space marines?

Does it have any hope?

Nope? Great GW sorry there!

I'm doubting it will get better, but I try to keep hope.

I'm one of the odd ones who actually really liked Empire, I think the large scope of the game was just right. I liked the artillery too.

Max, you skipped Napoleon:TW?  That was basically a much more polished version of Empire, with a way better, more focused map.  It has a nice Peninsular War DLC which adds a cool map of Spain too.   I of course play the hell of out Napoleon:TW still, and mostly use the really great NTW3 mod.

Add it to your Steam wishlist and pick it up when its 4 bucks sometime, you'll really like it.

- trailer snip -

kmHv3jZ.gif

"Rage of the Dark Gods" for Medieval II TW helped me quelch my thirst for Warhammer Fantasy in a Total War game, now here comes the official game!

This one will most likely be an insta-buy. Along with the DLCs, which will surely come and contain a lot of races that should've been in the basic game already, because nowaday's marketing.

My greenskins shall set the Old World ablaze.

Edited by ApplejackDaniels

Now some real game and interview from Angry Joe

Also PC Gamer article

http://www.pcgamer.com/killing-spider-cavalry-with-flamethrower-dwarfs-in-total-war-warhammer/

I just can't wait and I hope they nail this and don't plague the game too much with DLCs or just by bad gameplay designs etc. At least the Rome 2 DLCs don't split the community so no need to buy everything if it goes that way or at least it's easy to wait for the sales.

don't plague the game too much with DLCs or just by bad gameplay designs etc.

Going by Creative Assembly's track record after being bought by SEGA, the above will absolutely happen.  Faction packs, map packs, blood DLC, and horrible game design and choices in general.  They'll sell you the game for $60, then produce $42 worth of DLC as they've done with their latest game Attila..  Just watch.  I guarantee a Day 1 DLC too.

They're not making games to be good, they're making them aimed at getting a 90%+ on metacritic.

And then, through production, actually, we do what we call "Metacritic analysis." So we will break those features down into subsets, and we both look at it from a player's point of view, and a reviewer's point of view, and we'll weigh certain features as to how we see players and reviewers look at them, and they'll build up to a 100 percent score, and then we'll judge where we feel we are on those individual feature sets, and see the momentum on those and the velocity on those, too.

And so if we see one flat line and it's not where we want it to be, we then will cut it. Well, we'll cut it really late in the day. I think teams are really scared about doing 90 percent of the work and then cutting it. It's kind of like, "Well, it's nearly finished; I... I've done all the work! Please don't cut it! I'm sure I can make it better." And we're fairly brutal on that.

I'd much rather not see a feature in the game but still pay for it than risk... You know, every step of the way -- from the beginning to the end -- we're talking about a 90 percent Metacritic. That's our goal. That's what we tell Sega. And we communicate that through graphs, basically, of where we think we are.

I haven't purchased anything since Napoleon Total War (still playing it, played yesterday in fact).   I really hope you don't preorder anything and wait for some people to review it properly before shelling out you hard-earned.

Edited by klesh

I know I don't pre-order at least, but my Warhammer fanboy and friends might not be able to resist getting the game soon after the release. I've only bought Rome 2 after the Napoleon (I don't have Empire if that came before Napoleon) but I've kept myself away from the DLCs. Well the game is enjoyable these days, I actually played MP battles yesterday, but it's still a let down after the Medieval 2 and Rome 1 greatness.

At least now there seems to be again real variance of troops by their look and I seem to know how some troops handle like in the Medieval 2.

Sega and CA knows that there isn't really any fantasy strategy game so they can milk the shit out with expansions/DLCs but hopefully they realize that going crazy with them like in recent games kills their reputation. The base game will be a must for me at some point if not on the early days because it will be the best Warhammer set strategy game out there but DLCs I might skip except maybe for a one or maybe buy them from -80% sale. Unless if they make wonders and the DLCs are somehow worth the price :D

That Gamasutra article is painful to read :(

I admit my defeat of sanity, and declare that I pre-ordered the game just now.

I'm convinced they will make pretty much any race a DLC to pay for. But then again, if they do it right with appropriate units and animations (which will be necessary, as the Warhammer races, with their different units and tactics, can't just be copy-pasted), 5€ for one race doesn't really sound too bad, really. However, if they are lazy with the DLC units, I'll gladly avoid further DLCs.

Shitshow has commenced with the Chaos Warrior faction being announced as day 1 DLC, or free if you preorder. I dont like warhammer, but from what I can tell, these Chaos dudes are a major faction. 7 months away from game release and theyre already chopping the game into parts.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?701989-Chaos-Warriors-Race-IS-pre-order-DLC

Seriously guys, preordering this shit is killing gaming. Shame on you if youve done it, you're simply supporting this bullshit and giving them no reason to stop. Way to go.

Hello there

GW has never been a "nice" company as GDW used to appear to be.

Ive been on the end of more than one "Cease and Desist" letter from them for making mods/games back in the late 90's up to fairly recently.

Remember their shop[ and ethos used to include all RPG's and boardgames (I have fond memories of 100 Oxford street) but then they became vey insular and even their magazine White Dwarf stopped dealing with anything that wasnt created in house.

Again, Im not anti DLC at all rather the way they are handled.

That said, is this DLC really needed as part of the core experience? Chaos forces are key but they did appear late in the day as far as I remember.

Heck I remember Space Marines before they were Space Marines. (I had Sgt Wellard (well hard) the lead figurine that was around before 40k)

Rgds

LoK

Chaos faction as pre-order bonus. Just wow. How much lower SEGA can go...

@orlok

Chaos maybe came later in 40K but it has been in Fantasy since the beginning. The first edition book cover has Harry The Hammer which is chaos character.

Its been this way ever since SEGA bought CA.  Faction packs, unit packs, blood packs, day 1 dlc, even vender specific dlc requiring you to buy the game 3 times from 3 separate retailers in order to get the full package.

I don't know why people support this behavior?  Life wont end for you if you skip a videogame, even a good one, on principle.