Sign in to follow this  
roguetrooper

Do we really need more zombies?

PvP is the core of your DayZ.  What are you going to do when zeds can dodge your axe swing and then grab your arm or knock you down?  What about turning a corner in Cherno and finding the street blocked by thirty zeds just waiting to be aggroed by the slightest movement?  Or after sniping five zeds with your suppressed AK101 near a crashed helo, you crawl up to loot it and find a ghillied zed gripping your neck and biting your face?

When looting up can't be done in twenty minutes, and duped items get wiped every couple of hours, you're not going to be sprinting to the fire station in Elektro for a fight any more.  You'll be lucky if your total loot is a mouldy cabbage, a spanner and a Dean "Rocket" Hall bobblehead.  Good luck PvPing with that lot.

Well said! :)

You need that PVP attraction to keep you busy. Either its knowing that someone might be a bandit around the corner, or your directly involved as a bandit. You need that PVP factor.

Nonsense.  You're looking at the alpha version that is, I'm looking at what the game could be.

• Like 1

PvE is the core of the DayZ Standalone. Your theory is invalid.

PvP is the spice of DayZ now because there isn't anything else to do. When you are starving to death, with infected wounds, can barely see due to dehydration, shitting your brains out with every step from drinking bad water, and you have only 2 bullets for your rifle, PvP will be the last thing on your to-do-list.

You guys are just so damn cute! What are you going to do when you realise you are either wrong or sometimes it isn't good getting what you wished for?

a) You are right!  People will leave the game in droves. Most people get their kicks from PvP the thrill, the suspense of PvP. Not some retarded AI zom. Even if the AI was the most sophisticated programme known to man, it means nothing to being engaged in a battle with real people. There are thousands of single player zombie games that I can play to fix that itch. So how exciting is that, playing with 3 people on a server? You can do that now.

b) You are wrong! While we are having fun PvP'ing you will be on here whining and crying stating this game is about survival! LOL! It's not, it never has been and if the Dev's want people to continue to play this, it will always be about PvP. You are the vocal minority! The PvP aspect is what made this game!

• Like 1

Just as long as the Z's start working correctly (ie fix the super hearing/sight) and can sneak around properly, it will be FUN. But when they see you from in the middle of town and come running over 500m away as you come down the mountain and still in the tree line, it's just a pain in the @ss. But the more the merrier, dodging, grabbing, and what ever else would be great. Making the looting more of a choir and not so easy is a MUST.

a Dean "Rocket" Hall bobblehead.  

This should be an item, I would carry it just for luck!!! LoL

PvP is the spice of DayZ now because there isn't anything else to do. When you are starving to death, with infected wounds, can barely see due to dehydration, shitting your brains out with every step from drinking bad water, and you have only 2 bullets for your rifle, PvP will be the last thing on your to-do-list.

You guys need to give up this masochist dream game you are constantly going on about.   They are constantly adding in more food sources and as long as one can collect rain water, dehydration will never be a problem.   Yes we need more zeds, they are supposed to be a big part of the game landscape but you are fooling yourself if you think PvP is going to take a step decline due to environmental issues.  If anything as the world because more difficult to survive in, the potential gains from killing another player grow.

• Like 1

Nonsense.  You're looking at the alpha version that is, I'm looking at what the game could be.

If the game could be? It would take a much needed re haul of the actual game. Not just the coding or the alpha but a complete rethink of the zombies.

* Having physics in the zombies is cool. (and very much over due)

* Having end death animations is even better. Another thread posted the death animation of a player shooting you in the face was really needed for this game.

Best thing to have, it thrills us.

More zombies could attract more "fun factor" With Random zombies packs going from one city to other in search for human flesh.

PvP has to be in the game, its the unknown that thrills us. AI can only do so much for us, but to allow the players to control the environment is what happens.

Make the environment perfect for us, and we take the next steps to introduce the game to ourselves.

Not trying to quote a tv series but its an example:

Bandits are what makes the show walking dead, not just the zombies the PVP factor. You have to be ready for the unknown.

The unknown is the Player sitting in a building waiting to kill you. Or running around the corner and a fully loaded bandit is ready to shoot you....

It makes us re think our position and shoot back.

Both PVP and PVE are heavy in this game. It has to keep going that way or else it will die a short death just looking for loot the way the game thinking is now.

Zombies will not be enough unless you can thrill us to death...

I hope they make the buildings random look different as well however the engine may not support that much of a load change. Unknown.

My current thinking would be to allow us to control the environment, but have all the cool features like End death Animations, Good UI, Physics in zombies/ragdoll, groups of zombies or very large groups moving to another city, Random outcomes of zombies, 3 zombies, Could be eating a deer, or a very large group chasing a boar. Even have a Zombie being mauled by a bear.

Those things are rather cool to see. A new set of random events.

However you have to put a very large focus on PVP, allow the players to control that unknown and make the game come alive.

I come from games like Everquest, FPS, and many more types.

Just my 20+ years of online pve / pvp gaming thoughts.

Sneaky

• Like 1

If DayZ is all about PvP, why are devs implementing tents, food, drinks, crafting, animals, sickness? Why is map so big if it can handle only 50-60 players? If they wanted game to be only PvP that you would have only map size of Cherno with only weapon and ammo spawning. 

• Like 1

If DayZ is all about PvP, why are devs implementing tents, food, drinks, crafting, animals, sickness? Why is map so big if it can handle only 50-60 players? If they wanted game to be only PvP that you would have only map size of Cherno with only weapon and ammo spawning. 

If Dayz is all about PvE, why is every square inch of the map PvP enabled?  Dayz is not all about PvP nor PvE, it is about SURVIVAL.  Which will entail aspects of both play styles to one extent or another, if I wanted a pure PvP game, Dayz wouldn't be a my first choice.  Just like if I wanted a pure PvE game, it still wouldn't be my first choice.  I enjoy it because it uses both elements and each are being improved every update.

• Like 1

Sorry for having to break down your questions, and or statements if implied.

No the community makes DayZ into PVP. The Dev's only gave us the ability to shoot one another.

why are devs implementing tents, food, drinks, crafting, animals, sickness?

Because its PVE items, we need these things to survive. A normal thought put into anything to survive in the wilderness to avoid PVE and PVP aspects currently in the game.

If they wanted game to be only PvP that you would have only map size of Cherno with only weapon and ammo spawning. 

They don't want it to be Arma type game, Its a mixture of PVP and PVE to survive in a world full of both.

Why is map so big if it can handle only 50-60 players?

Map this size gives us the ability to decide what we do or where we go. I am thinking it was to space out the PVE environment not just about PVP aspects currently going on.

It also could have given us the ability to load in 100+ players. I am not an arma player, but I did purchase arma 3. Isn't this a mod made into a standalone currently using the arma 2 maps they used?

It then would make sense to keep using the same map, as it flowed nicely from the Mod to the standalone. It gave players familiar environments..

But I am not 100% sure about this only speculations on why the map is so big.

I cant believe I just explained something.... speculations of why the dev's did this.

Man I bet the dev's if they read this are thinking "wth, how does he know what we are thinking"

Sorry my bad, wasn't thinking. Only speculations on my part.

if I wanted a pure PvP game, Dayz wouldn't be a my first choice.

I don't know about you, but there is some decent features of the guns and physics that make some of this gun play interesting in FPS type game.

Then again I haven't played Arma game really. So if its the same, and physics are exact then I do like some of the features in Dayz.

I know what you mean about FPS game play and ladder type play. It wouldn't be my first choice either, but it definitely would be cool to try.

I think dayz sucks as PVP game. First you need to find gear. Then find other players to kill. In meantime you can die of hypothermia or ladder bug.

This game needs way more survival mechanics (ala The Long Dark). Procedurally generated maps, structures and interesting landmarks. More random server events. Base building with power generators and traps. Faction identification and group play support. Soooo many more clothing customization options (I want to turn a Taloon in a fucking go-bag). A plethora of weapons and shitloads of bullets. And zombies. Way more zombies. I'm talking hordes of damned zombies.

The whole idea that resources should be scarce is boring as fuck, in my opinion.

The amount of zombies IMO is not the problem, it's that I'm proned in a hill surrounded my tress and a zed so far away my mosin w/ lrs won't reach makes a B line straight to me. That's the most annoying part about zeds, you fix that and you have one of this games best game mechanics

you want npcs? fine go play the epoch mod.........

anyone here remember the thrill of going to nw and having for sure tons of zombies spawning while looting, and the potential of another group or a sniper in the surroundings?

like a broken recorder the Zs are place holders atm, every other mechanism is being worked on as well, so the game we have now is not the final game yet. Dayz is player+zombies we can´t separate the two is what the risks are based on along with the health mechanism we have now....in the mod once you played for a time and figured how zombies worked they were a push over yet a threat if a mistake was made, right now we dont have the broken bones effects yet, where you go prone like in the mod or a straight knock out by a zombie, in the mod you still had the chance of that happening even fully geared. 

all gotta do is wait to the end of the year and see.

Edited by reapers239
  • Like 1

Do we really need more complaints, senseless arguments on things not even fully implemented, and useless conjecture?

I'd say yes, to all of the above. Its rather apparent we need all of that. In spades.  :|

See, just look below

gW0rQ5A.gif

Edited by lrish
  • Like 2

You guys need to give up this masochist dream game you are constantly going on about.   They are constantly adding in more food sources and as long as one can collect rain water, dehydration will never be a problem.   Yes we need more zeds, they are supposed to be a big part of the game landscape but you are fooling yourself if you think PvP is going to take a step decline due to environmental issues.  If anything as the world because more difficult to survive in, the potential gains from killing another player grow.

How are they "constantly" adding in more food sources? Are you referring to farming? Because that is going to be drastically changed over time. Are you talking about hunting, where the animals stay perfectly calm, even when you get 10 feet away from you? Because that is going to be drastically changed over time. Are you talking about the massive amount of canned goods that spawn? Because that is going to be drastically changed over time.

I fail to see how killing another player gives you greater potential when the world is difficult to survive in. If anything, it is a resources in/resources out measure. 

So, you are starving and you see another player. He has a rainjacket on, a pair of jeans, and a small backpack. You run up with a shotgun and miss the first shot. He stabs you in the thigh with a knife. You then blast him in the chest, killing him. all of the stuff in his backpack is ruined, as well as his rainjacket, making whatever he had irrelevant. He has a waterbottle in a pocket, which you take.

So, let us measure what we've gotten from this:

-spent:

-2 shotgun shells, from 4 originially

-wounded

-----the wound becomes infected, because you have no sterile bandages or antibiotics. You die a painful, fever-filled death

-recieved:

-bottle of water

That....seems like an awesome trade! /sarcasm You are forgetting that when loot spawns are cut back, the chances of other people having the stuff you need becomes lower, not higher. And shooting them, or whacking them with an axe, will only destroy whatever you murdered them for. Want someone's stuff? Hold them up for it.

• Like 2

You guys should play Project Zomboid MP and then reassess this idea. It simply won't work to any great degree, if at all.

I play Project Zomboid, and it actually agrees with our points.

You can fight zeds, maybe two or three, with no difficulty. Any more than that and you are fucked. And this is just hand-to-hand. Firing a gun? Forget it.

• Like 1

Not just the coding or the alpha but a complete rethink of the zombies.

You do realize that is exactly what the devs are planning on doing, right? Literally?

• Like 1

anyone here remember the thrill of going to nw and having for sure tons of zombies spawning while looting, and the potential of another group or a sniper in the surroundings?

like a broken recorder the Zs are place holders atm, every other mechanism is being worked on as well, so the game we have now is not the final game yet. Dayz is player+zombies we can´t separate the two is what the risks are based on along with the health mechanism we have now....in the mod once you played for a time and figured how zombies worked they were a push over yet a threat if a mistake was made, right now we dont have the broken bones effects yet, where you go prone like in the mod or a straight knock out by a zombie, in the mod you still had the chance of that happening even fully geared.

all gotta do is wait to the end of the year and see.

There is broken bones effects! I was attacked by 3 zeds from behind in Dubky. In less than 2 seconds they broke my legs and ruined my clothes and most of items in it.

I play Project Zomboid, and it actually agrees with our points.

You can fight zeds, maybe two or three, with no difficulty. Any more than that and you are fucked. And this is just hand-to-hand. Firing a gun? Forget it.

I am specifically talking about multiplayer. They had to add friendly fire options, PvE options and "safety" icons because the KoS was out of control.

There is broken bones effects! I was attacked by 3 zeds from behind in Dubky. In less than 2 seconds they broke my legs and ruined my clothes and most of items in it.

but did you craw after that? i had a couple of broken bones but didnt really see any big changes other then my arm is broken or leg messege. either my point was that it was more often in the mod then in SA

How are they "constantly" adding in more food sources? 

Just in the last several patches they have added hunting, fishing, farming and now cannibalism.  Even if they made these harder, there are still enough options (plus canned and fresh food) that food generally isn't going to be that difficult to gain. Sure right now these mechanics are a little too easy but then who the hell eats and entire deer and then is hungry a few hours later?  Both systems are unrealistic and will probably be changed together.

I fail to see how killing another player gives you greater potential when the world is difficult to survive in. If anything, it is a resources in/resources out measure. 

Because in a game were resources are slim, there will always been the "risk vs reward" debate.  If the reward from killing the other player for their resources is worth the risk, some people will do it.  And your situation is cute, because you assume the absolute worst possible outcome.  The attacker could just as easily shot the target in the head, leaving all the gear in untouched and taken no damage.  See, I just did exactly what you did but I took it to the other far extreme. 

Just in the last several patches they have added hunting, fishing, farming and now cannibalism.  Even if they made these harder, there are still enough options (plus canned and fresh food) that food generally isn't going to be that difficult to gain. Sure right now these mechanics are a little too easy but then who the hell eats and entire deer and then is hungry a few hours later?  Both systems are unrealistic and will probably be changed together.

Because in a game were resources are slim, there will always been the "risk vs reward" debate.  If the reward from killing the other player for their resources is worth the risk, some people will do it.  And your situation is cute, because you assume the absolute worst possible outcome.  The attacker could just as easily shot the target in the head, leaving all the gear in untouched and taken no damage.  See, I just did exactly what you did but I took it to the other far extreme. 

1) Canned food will not be there forever. I do believe that once farming, hunting and foraging get fleshed out more, canned food spawns will be drastically cut back. Farming will (eventually) take much monger than the literal-5 minutes it takes to grow crops, animals will be much harder to hunt, etc etc etc.

2) I did not use the "worst possible outcome". I used a "standard" outcome, because getting shot ruins equipment. Aim for the chest, and everything stored on the torso will get destroyed. Shoot someone in the chest with a shotgun, which affects a wider area than a single bullet, and more stuff has a higher chance of getting damaged/destroyed. And, headshots? Really? Very few people in this game have aim good enough to reliably make headshots, even without counting dizziness from dehydration (blurred screen), shivering (from cold, or from sickness), and sway from running up to the other person.

And, for what it is worth, the "worst possible outcome" would result in you getting your shit wrecked by the other guy, and getting killed.