pale1776

Average Lone Wolf Wouldnt Survive

Ive seen many ideas shot down because they would hurt the lone wolf. "I dont want detailed surgery it would hurt lone wolves, dont add sanity/social needs it would hurt the lone wolves, dont add in crew fired weapons it would hurt lone wolves". Honestly, Im tired of hearing everyone say "Oh, well IRL I woud be a lone wolf I wouldnt need anyone then why should I in DayZ?"

Because the fact is most people here cant perform medical operations/CLS techniques to others let alone doing it to yourself. Dont say that you dont need social lives when SHTF, humans invented language and civilization BECAUSE humans need interaction. What happens to the guy who says he doesnt need a girlfriend or friends and spends all day in mommys basement? Hes either a 600 pound socially akward gamer or he becomes a school/mall/theater shooter because society doesnt understand him. (If you dont like the truth, fix the truth)

So I say add in complex surgery, yeah I can do basic CLS treatment on myself and others but according to you all were untrained survivors who shouldnt be able to use tactical stances (see A3 stance in DayZ thread)

And add in sanity/ a need for social contact, yeah I go camping for a couple weeks to a month sometimes but I still crave human contact after a while (and I dunno about yall, but talking to my girlfriend is one of the best parts of my day)

Tl;Dr--> Lone Wolves will die IRL when SHTF and its the EOTWAWKI

• Like 8

Okay?

Well lone wolves are here to stay buddy. I won't play a game that penalizes me and makes my gaming experience incredibly unenjoyable because none of my friends are online lol. Not quite sure if that was your point...or what your point was, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

I'm also sure there's plenty of average people capable of surviving on their own IRL...just saying.

Edited by DeatHTaX
  • Like 15

tell that to the mountain men of the 17-18 hundreds. And guys now days like Mick Dodge, if you havent seen that show, hes a modern day mtn man

I play lone wolf, but I accept the limitations of that. I am considerably more likely to be attacked and if I am I have less chance of surviving it, I can't share out resources so whatever I can fit in my inventory is it and I leave stuff behind, I also don't have the niceties of being able to apply blood bags or saline drips.

These are of course negatives, but then they are balanced out by the positives of not having to listen to someone droning on about sh*t all the time. The reason I don't play in a group is, quite frankly, I don't like people. As I say, I accept the downsides of a lone wolf existence but then to me it has those positives too.

I have no issues with certain tasks taking more than one person to achieve so long as it's realistic (just for argument's sake, like lifting something that is too heavy for one person). It would be nice to be able to apply a saline drip or blood bag to yourself (not that I am ever really in need of one, I'm either full health or dead in most cases) as that seems like something a single person could do without help. 

• Like 11

I play lone wolf, but I accept the limitations of that. *snip*

This.

I also appreciate games that are made to draw people together.

I get that from Nintendos mostly.

When the game is closer to finished I may play with people regularly but not for quite awhile still, I imagine.

• Like 1

If you keep failing playing as a long wolf, then surely you're not learning from your mistakes? The game should be easier to play if you were to learn from your mistakes!

• Like 2

SHTF and EOTWAWKI , yeesh I had to do a net search to figure out what those ment

• Like 1

That all depends on the person. Some groups in real life will get you killed faster than if you were to go solo.

• Like 2

I think the point the OP was making. Was that "It'll hurt lone wolves, Lone wolves should not be at a disadvantage to groups" type of thing should not be a reason to not include things like the features he mentioned.

The features can be implemented, lone wolves will be a viable play style, but groups can and potentially will have an easier time. Being able to take advantage of more features to become more effective as a whole.

Which I totally agree with.

• Like 2

I have played prob more time by my self then grouped in day z. I feel I have learned more about the game running around for several months on my own. Although I have always had a resident group. So I play solo and grouped....does not matter. I confident one way or the other.

With that said I don't have really any issues with crew weapons or vehicle added in so long as there is way to defend yourself against them. No problem. The more options. The better with in reason.

I am responding to others on this thread not really the OP. Sounds like a wall of projecting and weirdness. I have been coming here a while haven't seen to many anti team or anti crew weapon talk...not sure were that rant was coming from...Maybe OP had a bad session in day z today..I that's the case it not a good idea to vent here. Guys like me will rub your nose in it even more.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

I'm all for group/squad orientated mechanics being put in, but not to the point that the person who prefers to "Lone-wolf" it get's completely screwed over, I get that they ( the devs. ) want people to interact more and for people to help one another out, but it shouldn't mean that the solo survivor should be shit out of luck when it comes to playing how he/she wants to.

I myself bounce between solo and group play, I like the rush I get when I am by myself and see a group of people or hear gun shots in the distance and decide on hunting people down, but I also like the social side when playing with a group, and it's sometimes nice to know someone has your back, because your not always going to be on top of it all by yourself.

add in sanity/ a need for social contact, yeah I go camping for a couple weeks to a month sometimes but I still crave human contact after a while (and I dunno about yall, but talking to my girlfriend is one of the best parts of my day)

This is the main part I have problems with.

Some people hate human contact.

Perhaps my character despises humans and believes that the infection was deserved due to their sins.

Perhaps my character is a vegan who loves all animals but sees humans as lying untrustworthy scum and zombies are Gods way of cleansing the earth of the evil that is humanity.

Perhaps my character has been abused his entire life and has social anxiety.

Perhaps my character doesn't crave social contact because it's my character and I should decide whether I'm going to be a lunatic or someone who needs as much attention as a 4 year old.

Just because some people are needy doesn't mean my dayz character should be forced to be.

This has nothing to do with it hurting the lone wolf and more to do with the fact that while some people can't last 5 minutes alone others can do just fine so it should be an individual thing rather than a forced thing.

I really really hope they don't start adding psychological disorders unless they are the players choice and then I would try each and every one.

Imagine your character is hungry but you can't eat because your character is anorexic.

Imagine your character has an irrational fear of heights and you climb a building then your character refuses to move because he is terrified.

Imagine having a character that refuses to run because they are too depressed and doesn't see the point of trying to survive in such a terrible world.

Imagine your character refusing to stay still for more than a minute because you have ADHD.

Imagine having to clean your wounds 10x and open and shut doors an even number of times because your character is obsessive compulsive.

Edited by Jesus Christ The Goblin
  • Like 1

I agree. As someone with actual Wilderness Survival Training, I can say with experience that surviving by yourself makes the already-difficult and stressful experience EXPONENTIALLY harder. Is it possible? Yes, I've done it. Would I recommend it to someone not as confident in their skills? Absolutely not, because they would, not might, get themselves in serious trouble, if not killed.

Humans formed societies and clans for a multitude of reasons, one of them was the 'Division of Labor", where different people specialized in different tasks (hunting, farming, clothes-making, tool-making, etc), so that the individual could save time and the group would be more effective. This is also applicable to survival: with a group, you can divide tasks and save time doing so, making your group use time and resources more effectively. In my experience, you actually save resources when grouped up vs by yourself, because you have more hands to do more work.

For example: I had my WS class build a shelter (with insulation), a fire with a reflector wall, gather and prepare enough wood for the night, and gather, boil, and use water to prepare a meal for the group. The group had 5 kids. 2 guys worked on the shelter, 2 guys worked on the fire, and the last guy gathered water (using everyones bottles), and cooked some beans and rice in a metal bucket once the fire was done. From start (clearing in the woods) to finish (meal cooked and eaten, fire dimmed to coals, and everyone asleep in the shelter), it took them about 3 hours, give or take. I did the same thing, and it took me 6-7, even though I built a smaller shelter, smaller fire, used less wood, and needed less water. Proves my point.

The same thing is applicable to Day Z. Many hands make for light work. You can have 2 guys gathering wood for a fire ( I hate how it is next-to-instant), 2 guys cooking, and 2 guys standing watch. 1 guy will be hard-pressed to be as effective.

I also believe that certain medical actions should not be able to be done by a single person. Splinting a broken limb? Nope. Stopping severe (venal and arterial) blood loss? Nope. Removing bullet fragments and other "bits" from the body? Nope.

TL:DR Survival is MUCH harder when alone vs in a group. Such as it should be in Day Z. Not impossible, just MUCH harder.

• Like 6

People only arguing extremes makes my head hurt. Probably why moderation is such a tough thing for people to embrace.

Lone wolfing should make the game harder, but not impossible. Lone wolfing won't be as effective as surviving in a group. Lone wolves won't get smashed by groups if they play smart/stealthy. You guys are so intolerant to differing opinions. Christ...

• Like 2

Being alone in a SHTF situation is going to be more difficult than being in a group. Ideas and mechanics shouldn't be dismissed just because it will put people alone at a disadvantage. Players still can't give themselves blood or IV drips or help themselves when unconscious. This should be expanded upon.

• Like 1

Lone wolfing is for the 'elite' survivors, sort of. More difficult since you have to do everything on your own, but other survivors are always a liability. In the end you can only count on yourself. You don't necessarily shun contact, but you won't rely on them to carry your ass.

• Like 2

Ive seen many ideas shot down because they would hurt the lone wolf. "I dont want detailed surgery it would hurt lone wolves, dont add sanity/social needs it would hurt the lone wolves, dont add in crew fired weapons it would hurt lone wolves". Honestly, Im tired of hearing everyone say "Oh, well IRL I woud be a lone wolf I wouldnt need anyone then why should I in DayZ?"

Because the fact is most people here cant perform medical operations/CLS techniques to others let alone doing it to yourself. Dont say that you dont need social lives when SHTF, humans invented language and civilization BECAUSE humans need interaction. What happens to the guy who says he doesnt need a girlfriend or friends and spends all day in mommys basement? Hes either a 600 pound socially akward gamer or he becomes a school/mall/theater shooter because society doesnt understand him. (If you dont like the truth, fix the truth)

So I say add in complex surgery, yeah I can do basic CLS treatment on myself and others but according to you all were untrained survivors who shouldnt be able to use tactical stances (see A3 stance in DayZ thread)

And add in sanity/ a need for social contact, yeah I go camping for a couple weeks to a month sometimes but I still crave human contact after a while (and I dunno about yall, but talking to my girlfriend is one of the best parts of my day)

its funny how your avatar is the king of lone wolves and your complaining about them. by the way boss makes solid seem like a whiny pussy.

• Like 1

As Bertrand Russell once said, "The only thing that will redeem mankind is cooperation." I seen that on a beer mat once.

Anyway, they should add it. Think about it. Lone wolves would exist and they would also be fucked in the head. Like people who move into the woods to get away from society and usually aren't the same. I should know, because I think about moving into the woods a lot.

It'd be neat to see a character who was acting funny, all rugged and tore up. It'd be neat for role playing too. Surgery and crew fired weapons would be sick as tits too, man. I agree with you but if there's any part of the community restricting the development of the game, it isn't lone wolves.

(I also don't know why my post is so fucked looking either. I copy / pasted that quote so I guess that's why)

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 2

Don't forget though some people would make great lighthouse keepers and I always put myself in that category. I got a degree in anthropology because I dislike people so much I wanted to see if that would help me figure out why. I learned a great deal but not that, although it seems the first mistake were cities and it all went to hell after that.

Personally I never had an issue with random sounds. I thought it was a great way of inducing paranoia due to social inactivity. In fact I think random noises should intensify the longer you spend time alone in a formerly high populated area, out in the wilderness not so much, you get more of the mountain man thing going. Remember the scene in the Omega Man when he hears all the phones start to ring? That's what I mean. Have you heard the bells tolling midnight in Cherno? I have or at least I think I did. People are resilient and will find ways to cope or go mad trying. Right Wilson? (I ask turning to my trusted volley ball companion). Besides, I figure most of those who play DayZ SA are gonna end up as real life versions of Marvin Boggs.

If my character requires complex surgery will I need to find a player that is a real life qualified doctor? No? Then what's the point? If my character dies then he dies and I get a fresh spawn. If death truly were permanent in game then every time a freshie died he'd have to buy a new game to get back in. A guy I went to high school with died from a burst appendix while doing missionary work in Africa. Sucks ass but happens all the time. I mean jeez where do we draw the line? Are we going to have characters qualified to conduct mastectomies on female characters to prevent breast cancer???

Edited by Barnabus

Humans are social creatures.  Generally, most will eventually crave interaction.

Some however, are content with being completely alone.  Albeit, a very small portion of the real population.

In a real SHTF/EOTWAWKI situation solitude (with supplies) is a good thing.  But, eventually the end game is to seek smaller trusted groups that turn into larger trusted groups.

• Like 2

Humans are social creatures.  Generally, most will eventually crave interaction.

Some however, are content with being completely alone.  Albeit, a very small portion of the real population.

In a real SHTF/EOTWAWKI situation solitude (with supplies) is a good thing.  But, eventually the end game is to seek smaller trusted groups that turn into larger trusted groups.

No, actually, it isn't. The "lone wolves", AKA the survivalist preppers who hide out in a shack with stashes of guns and food, enough for entire armies? The people who refuse to help other people? Those guys are next-to-guaranteed to die first. From injuries they cannot treat on their own, from disease that leaves them too weak to care for themselves, when their crops fail and they have no other reliable food source. Either way, they will not survive for very long.

The people who group together, help each other out, specialize (farmers, chemists, doctors, weavers, blacksmiths, armorers, etc) and band together as a community? Those are the people who are likely to survive. We have survived FAR worse in reality (Look up the Toba Event, where the worldwide human population was killed off until between 2,000 and 10,000 individuals were left. Our species survived that.) than some fictional zombie apocalypse, simply by banding together when the going gets tough.

• Like 3

No, actually, it isn't. The "lone wolves", AKA the survivalist preppers who hide out in a shack with stashes of guns and food, enough for entire armies? The people who refuse to help other people? Those guys are next-to-guaranteed to die first. From injuries they cannot treat on their own, from disease that leaves them too weak to care for themselves, when their crops fail and they have no other reliable food source. Either way, they will not survive for very long.

The people who group together, help each other out, specialize (farmers, chemists, doctors, weavers, blacksmiths, armorers, etc) and band together as a community? Those are the people who are likely to survive. We have survived FAR worse in reality (Look up the Toba Event, where the worldwide human population was killed off until between 2,000 and 10,000 individuals were left. Our species survived that.) than some fictional zombie apocalypse, simply by banding together when the going gets tough.

Ummm, yeah, thats exactly what I meant.  You must have misunderstood my post.

In a real life situation where all hell breaks loose you can be sure most knowledegable people will initially hunker down and make sure they and their close loved ones are safe (preppers).  But, eventually (sooner than later) these preppers need to expand out and band together to form larger groups of trusted people "farmers, chemists, doctors, weavers, blacksmiths, armorers, etc" and form a community.  

• Like 1