Sign in to follow this  
lord3n

Mosquitos, Signaling & Blankets, oh my.

Mosquitos

Was thinking about this possible mechanic in the game.

Mosquitos are known for transfering diseases. Im not suggesting creating actual 3D imaged bugs, but how about once in while (rare) a player will get a message or can audibly hear them (different sound than flies, a small detail players would have to learn and notice) when outdoors and that they have felt a bug bite, or that you notice bugs or whatever. and for every message you get, there is a possibility you get bit by an infected one (very rare) but it would add more to the survival aspect now that they can get sick yet another way even though its very very rare for it to happen, it would be a possibility.

You could also create a bug net to be found and used by players in some way, takes up one slot in inventory, is very light and maybe is setup like a tent. but offers no insulation, weather protection or anything else to help the player except to protect from "bugs" like mosquitos. which would roam the entire map, but be more prevelant in certain areas.

As far as fitting the game, im sure mosquitos would still be around, and feeding off the infected, and if players are out and running around, they are meals also.

places like the swamp could be havens for them, and other locations that would throw in a bit of risk for players if they wanted to take a shortcut through someplace. fresh player kills could also bring a small group to possibly infect looting players around that body. obviously there might be a 10 min period after the kill before they show up.

I believe in real life, depending on what it was carrying, a person getting bit by a mosquito could die, just from a little bug bite. Would add some more feelings of being vulnerable outside, and be another reason why players want to seek shelter regularly besides rain or cold. even a camp fire can repell the bugs for maybe 5-10 feet around itself so players sitting right next to it are safe. Maybe the risk slightly rises in warmer temps.

Signaling

How about things like small battery operated strobe lights like the ones used by deep woods hikers. Things like the VS-17 signal panel that could be attatched to things to mark or signal with.

Im thinking back in the days of the MOD when you had a helocopter or plane and wanted to locate a certain area from the sky. or pick up friends who you had dropped off to loot. these could be used by players to aid in their location when needing help from friendlies, team mates or if they are just plain desperate (assuming food and clean water will be as scarce as I hope it is)

Just thinking of something that could work during the day that lasts longer than a road flare. like an orange piece of material or such, or the shiny space blanket or something that could be native to that area.

Blankets

For warmth, players could find these and use them when stationary to warm up. (possibly drape overthem selves when moving?)

could have various levels of warmth between blankets, some thin and light with minimal warmth, and some bulky and heavier but with great warmth. these could be used stealthlily so players didnt have to make a fire and didnt have hand warmers.

a wool blanket, since wool will still warm players up even in the rain, this one could be rarer and worth more.

Thoughts? good ideas or bad ideas?

Edited by Lord3n
  • Like 3

Signaling and Blankets would be great additions! I would love to wrap up in a blanket and sit by a fire to warm up quickly. However, the mosquitoes aspect seems just a tad to

realistic for me, as it sounds very in depth, especially the infection mechanic. But they would definetley have a place in the swamps of Chernarus, just maybe not all across the

map  Perhaps they could be a seasonal addition, added in the summer and spring months (as mosquitoes in the winter would make no sense). All in all though, great ideas I

would love to see in game!

Edited by WilBischof

Correct me if I'm wrong but i don't think you'd find mosquitoes carrying infectious diseases in Eastern Europe, there's plans for lots of other ways of transferring disease planned so no loss imo. 

Signaling is a nice idea, using torches and lamps to send Morse code would be really cool (although atm light doesn't travel far enough to make it viable). There's smoke grenades planned which could work for signaling helicopters.

In regards to a VS-17 signal panel type thing it seems almost too specific to be useful (aircraft will be super rare). I think as long as it has multiple uses (could be used as a blanket too perhaps) i wouldn't say no.     

The mosquitos idea was basically just a way of transfering the diseases other than direct contact, thats all. Id love a few different ways to catch something so it adds to the seriousness of the situation, mosquitos or not :-)

V-17 panel, orange tarp, or anything that can open up and lay someplace like the ground. Smoke is a good way to signal in game, and Im just thinking of other ways as well.

I figure if the game has multiple ways to do the same stuff, it will help to flesh things out. So players have multiple ways to use the resources around them.

create tarps, civilian or military (not literally of course because it doesnt fit the local, but the USMC tarp/ground cloth) would be cool because you could use it for shelter, maybe wrap around your pack for waterproofing your pack, wrap yourself up in one for waterproofing yourself or because it has a camo pattern on one side, could be used for camo. find some rope, trees or sticks and you can set it up for multiple purposes.

that might be kind of cool. would not offer the warmth of indoors like a tent might, but would keep you or your gear dry. anything exist like the USMC tarp in that region which would fit?

Edited by Lord3n

I like the mosquito idea. But I don't think it would work.In real life ,for exapmle, you can wave with your hand and also try to smack them. In a game it would be really hard to make it work. Unfortnatly