Sign in to follow this  
john5220

Why is Bohema so bad when it comes to AMD?

So while Intel was more looking forward to squeeze even the last Mhz out of their processors AMD was more into the multicore thing. That's basically why all games nowadays have to struggle with AMD processors and not only Dayz. If you were able to find a game that runs well with your AMD it can have two reasons:

1. The devs made an outstanding job on splitting their threads to multiple cores, while the whole engine has to be predestinated to that task.

2.(more likely) The game simply don't needs that much power and would also run on an Intel, even if the Intel has only the half of cores which your AMD has.

Hi there

Yes i found 2 games that run fantastic on my AMD

Battlefield 3

Battlefield 4

Infact my Athlon 760K rips up a haswell G3220 Pentium CPU in 64 player servers. my AMD has all its 4 cores used very well in Battlefield, infact there is no reason at all to spend money on intel. A cheapo $70 760K quad core Athlon will give flawless 60 FPS, No need for a $220 core i5 both perform about the same, DICE did a fantastic job with frostbite 2 and 3

In DayZ my 760K AMD dips to 12 fps and averages around 20 FPS, I get max of 100 FPS looking at the sky near the beach? this is basically a AMD richland 6800K APU but with the GPU disabled because it was damaged in creation.  It turbos and stays at 4 GHZ in games

Edited by John5220

This is definitely a game optimization issue, not a 'Beating up on AMD users' situation.

i have a fairly high-end Intel CPU (I7 4770k - Stock) and 2 EVGA GTX 780's in SLI.

in High-Pop servers in the new big cities, i still get frequent 'stutters' and FPS drops down to around 25-50 and fluctuates rampantly as i rotate the view.

Blanket statements like 'buy intel for better performance' only feeds fanboyism and doesn't address the real issues at hand;

1. Is the engine modern and being optimized for multithreading and multi-core CPUs?

2. Is the game it's self being optimized to avoid drawing, rendering, and processing unnecessary content that has no bearing for that user's gameplay.

3. How heavily does the game rest on the CPU?

Bottom line with this, were dealing with what amounts to a heavily modified version of arma's engine. on top of that, that game it's self is still in ALPHA and has yet to have, major work on final optimization done. I think we can all expect better performance in beta and final, but with that said i think it will always be that higher performance Per-core will outweigh having More cores in the case of this title.

You made me really happy here.

I get anywhere from 12 to 36 FPS in DayZ. with my AMD , I get average 20 FPS in big cities so it seems I am not that far off your 4770K i7 which is 4 times the price of my 760K quad core AMD.

So as long as intel users have issues running DayZ I am happy because it means the devs have no choice but to bring multi core optimization to DayZ. And Multi Core is where AMD shines, if you look at Battlefield 3 and 4. My cheapo $70 AMD 760K will match a $200 i5 anyday in the biggest 64 player maps.

Edited by John5220

I have AMD and I wish I had Intel, it's not a fanboy thing it's a gamer thing.

Every intel user knows, most AMD users know that Intel hardware is better, the same goes for Nvidia, the only fanboys I see in this topic are stubborn AMD users who, despite seeing the evidence clear as day on any benchmarking website are determined to stand by thier brand. i have an AMD based rig, i honestly believed i was making a wise decision when I bought it what with saving a few quid here and there.

I now know I was wrong and deeply regret my purchase.

I have issues with this comment. Not that it's inherently wrong. I've already stated you get what you pay for and for Intel you pay considerably more. I would also question the nVidia/AMD gpu argument but that can be much of a muchness,

However, the main problem I have is that in relation the DayZ the game is running poorly on both chipsets so to dismiss people who are defending their use of an AMD chip as "fanboys" then to wave the Intel flag so prominently is ignoring the elephant in the room to complain about the choice of curtains.

As I say, I don't disagree with your sentiments as in general, but specifically in this context they aren't quite as relevant.

http://www.techpowerup.com/158534/new-windows-7-bulldozer-patches-available.html

I will post this here as well. For anyone with a bulldozer SMT based AMD cpu there are two hotfixes for Windows 7. The first hotfix changes Windows scheduler code to assign new threads to waiting buulldozer modules first. The second hotfix disables core parking which nerfs performance on the architecture pretty nicely. Windows 8/8.1 already contain these hotfixes. My system specs are as follows.

I had the following

Phenom II X6 1045T @ 3.4ghz

Asus CHVz

16Gb DDR3-1600

2x HD4670/512mb DDR3 (need replaceing)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

My latest upgrade was a FX 8320e which I have overclocked to 4.0ghz on air on a nice low 1.25 vCore. I pulled the memory kit from my other system until I can afford 32Gb of DDR3-2400. I'm not sure about vid cards but Im going with 3 this time around(SLI or CrossfireX). I did notice a performance drop when I when to the newer proc. Fact is bulldozer single threading performance sucks. Even compared to the older Phenom II's. These patches did help me. I play at 1680x1050 normal detail. I average 24fps according to RazerCortex.

Here are my launch commands,

Set -cpuCount= 8  -exThreads= 8 -high -malloc=system -malloc=nedmalloc_bi -maxMem =8192

I'm personally waiting for the new rendered. As a Computer Engineering Technician I know a fair bit about computers to say the least, DX10/11 hardware support should make a nice difference. Keep in mind people that is a early ALPHA!. Performance improvements will come along. If not I want my money back. :lol:

Edit:

Running these two lines of text in a administrator level command prompt (CMD) will disable core parking on the current power profile.

powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 100
powercfg -setactive scheme_current

Edited by Foolee

I see a lot of people taking up for a game that's not optimized flaming amd, but it looks like the admins have picked sides with this dead horse. So it seems it's ok to flame amd as a company and too complicated to optimize a game to use 6 to 8 cores. GG I say GG. Also Intel in cities doesn't get 40 fps I promise and call the liers out go to stary sobor screen shot your fps please Lmao or just watch some streamers who always complain about the fps using 4790K's.... Also sony and xbox one have amd processors, so if this is going to be platformed they will have to code better for amd just saying LOL....

• Like 1

sad news for you..they allready had it running on ps4 hardware...now go back to reddit to spew you uninformed bullshit.

Where are people getting the idea that Sony would not allow Bohemia to publish a game on PS4? when has Sony flat out denied such an opportunity regardless of performance and or bug issues?

I am sure the shareholders of Sony would be demanding an explanation from the CEO if he suddenly decided to not allow DayZ on the PS4 because of potential bugs etc. So all the loss revenue they would incur how would they justify this? It makes no business sense to me for them to not allow DayZ on the PS4.

Infact DayZ should play well on a controller in 3rd person view. We have hope because PS4 has 8 weak AMD jaguar cores so once DayZ can run at 30 FPS on PS4 we won't have to worry about anything on the PC

I think the new Render coming this year will show a drastic increase in DayZ FPS atleast I hope so. I can't see how else they are going to run it on PS4, it has to be highly multi threaded

Edited by John5220

One thing I did notice was using the FPS fixes for DayZ SA I could go from 12 fps to 30/60

Those fixes were to significantly reduce scene complexity and view distance etc in the cfg files.

However the funny thing is I don't know how to do it for the MOD. For me DayZ SA plays way better than the MOD

Edited by John5220

It's not just AMD man, I'm sitting around 30-40% cpu and 50 % gpu usage, running at 1440p downscaled to 1080p, all settings ultra.

Still sitting around 40 in cities, capped at 60 everywhere else.

i7 4790k @ 4.7

GTX 970

8gb DDR3 1600 ram

240gb SSD

Would love to see some more optimization here.

Exactly, which is why some are idiots for slagging off AMD when it's clear the game is the problem not the chip.

I agree and if I am not mistaken optimization for various processors is one of the last things that will be accomplished.....as with any other game.  

Everyting comes down to hardware settings i have a 4 (almost 5) year old system with an AMD Pehnom II x4 955 black 3.2ghz cpu and RadeonHD 6850 1gb graphics card. i play on a 19in monitor at 1920x1080p 60hz on maximum settings. i get 45-70 FPS in rural areas 30-45 in towns and 30-35 in cherno or electra (without rain rain sucks!). tinker with your settings and you can make any game better

Everyting comes down to hardware settings i have a 4 (almost 5) year old system with an AMD Pehnom II x4 955 black 3.2ghz cpu and RadeonHD 6850 1gb graphics card. i play on a 19in monitor at 1920x1080p 60hz on maximum settings. i get 45-70 FPS in rural areas 30-45 in towns and 30-35 in cherno or electra (without rain rain sucks!). tinker with your settings and you can make any game better

my son that has gotta be the biggest pile of bollocks ever spouted on these forums, read it again pal, and 'ave a proper fink abaht wot you jus said.

4-5 year old system, phenom II, radeon(LOL)6850, 1080 p, MAX SETTINGS, up to 70 FPS lowest 30 - 35 in fuckin cherno. XD

Geezer you made me piss meself larfin' but i gotta call bullshit,  fuck me you ain't half gotta sense a humour sunshine, i'm cryin here lol

AMD + radeon(LOL) = console

Edited by MAD Frank
  • Like 1

How is he able to get over 30 FPS in Cherno on a Phenom II and 6850 on MAX settings yet I have a 760K pile driver Quad Core @ 4 GHZ and HD 7850 radeon yet stick at 12 to 22 fps in Cherno at medium to low settings?

Well I do have the same cpu and 2x6850s,but I dont think Im going to waste the thermal paste.They are retired for a reason.

Edit

Just checked with my son who has the gpus and DayZ and Arma2/3 about the fps.

He said ,Id dont think so

Edited by AussieBobby

I have really really terribad performance on DayZ MOD really really bad

no more than 22 fps at all. 17 average

As far as I can tell its because a 3.5 amd and a 3.5 intel are worlds apart as far as actual power.

As far as I can tell its because a 3.5 amd and a 3.5 intel are worlds apart as far as actual power.

This ^^ i have compared in a real world situation my wifes 8350 which i clocked to 5ghz vs my 4790k clocked to 5ghz (same amount and speed ram 16gig 2400mhz kingston beast) and rendering the same 2 minute video , results were AMD 3;12 vs I7 1;53 , so a hell of alot quicker. considering thats 4 cores hyperthreaded vs 8 cores the results kinda speak for themselves ( although i tested game streaming and the 8350 with its extra cores handled that better than the quad core I7.

If you're using an intel Quad Core with hyperthreading, disable hyperthreading in the bios.
Dayz will still use the same amount of cores, but because the amount of cores windows /sees/ is halved, the cores now are able to calculate twice as much.

Windows is probably slower, but I've got +10FPS in dayz, so I've got that going, which is nice.

• Like 1

This ^^ i have compared in a real world situation my wifes 8350 which i clocked to 5ghz vs my 4790k clocked to 5ghz (same amount and speed ram 16gig 2400mhz kingston beast) and rendering the same 2 minute video , results were AMD 3;12 vs I7 1;53 , so a hell of alot quicker. considering thats 4 cores hyperthreaded vs 8 cores the results kinda speak for themselves ( although i tested game streaming and the 8350 with its extra cores handled that better than the quad core I7.

When I was building my rig I noticed that the amd processors claimed "quad core whatever speed" that looked the same as the intel Chips, but cost $150-200 less. Looking into the actual processing power they always fell drastically short, and they should your paying 20% or more less. But a lot of marketed rigs on the $600-900 range seem to have them, thats where they make up most of the savings. But you are defiantly getting what you pay for.

To the OP, the game is in alpha as im sure several people have already pointed out. Optimization for either will come during beta, there are several threads about this. But having a lower end AMD processor is probably worse as I believe they are developing for intel first. But dont worry its not very good for us either!

Also Soul, game streaming is more of a ram/graphics card/net speed thing as far as I know.

Edited by Judopunch

People say AMD chips are bad but this isn't true. I can get flawless 60 FPS in Battlefield 3 and 4 with my system and that Engine is insanely high tech compared to Arma.

AMD CPUs are bad, you get what you pay for. Battlefield is not a CPU intensive game, DayZ is. AMD CPU will give you bad performance compared to Intel.

Go out buy buy your Intel and Nvidia but know one thing,your expensive hardware will still be crippled by the BIS engine

I5 Processor but I use AMD video card. Why? Simple benchmarks showed me which was best for what considering the price I was paying. I paid more for the Intel CPU but the performance was much higher for the extra I was paying in nearly every test I looked up. With GPUs the performance for the price was better for the particular AMD GPU I picked up than any Nvidia card that was comparable.

How is he able to get over 30 FPS in Cherno on a Phenom II and 6850 on MAX settings yet I have a 760K pile driver Quad Core @ 4 GHZ and HD 7850 radeon yet stick at 12 to 22 fps in Cherno at medium to low settings?

Medium to Low settings in this engine will typically give you WORSE results if your issue is CPU related because lower settings move the processing off your GPU and onto the CPU. So you are probably making your problem worse instead of fixing it by going with lower settings.

I have a FX 8350 Oc at 4.5  Watercooled and a Msi 7950 twin Frzr and my game runs fine for graphics ,video ,rendering and etc...  its the   server crashing no loot respawing,bugs that almost makes me go back to console FFS. I dont think any one Intel/AMD can say that they have had a sensational expirience with dayZ  .Severs Crashing 24/7 regardless of what you run. I watch alot of Dayz sreams and it does not matter what your name is or what you run because the dsync is awful and the servers crash more than Drunk drivers.

Edited by TheLast-StaR

I was trying out AMDs virtual super resolution today to see what the fps hit would be at 2560x1600.

The Forest,When I look at the sun,sea,sky my gpu and cpu usage went down,and when I looked at woods,hills my gpu usage went to 95%+ and cpu to 70%

The exact opposite of Arma and it spin off engines.

And the best part...its ALPHA

Edited by AussieBobby

AMD CPUs are bad, you get what you pay for. Battlefield is not a CPU intensive game, DayZ is. AMD CPU will give you bad performance compared to Intel.

Medium to Low settings in this engine will typically give you WORSE results if your issue is CPU related because lower settings move the processing off your GPU and onto the CPU. So you are probably making your problem worse instead of fixing it by going with lower settings.

There is so much things wrong with this statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My god your lack of intermediate knowledge and logic is terrifying!!!

Firstly, it is WIDELY known that battlefield 3 and 4 uses massive CPU resources to run on 64 player servers, Battlefield 3 is one of the utmost CPU intensive games on the planet.

But misinformed people without a proper science education would pull up single player benchmarks of Battlefield 3 and brag about hey CPUs have no impact. When the reality is that once you hit 64 playermaps like Caspain Border, Metro etc. Your dual core will choke at as low as 30 FPS and yes I am talking about a Haswell Dual Core CPU choking as low as 30, I had one before upgrading my new PC to a quad core AMD which then ran Battlefield 3 MP on no lower than 50 FPS.

All the while the intel CPU would get double the FPS in DayZ than this AMD. Simply because DayZ like Arma 2 and 3 are very very poorly optimized games running the most terrible Engine you can find. These Engines only use like 1 core to its fullest, its CLEARLY an issue on Bohemia's end based on EVIDENCE!!!! you know that thing that people tend to throw out the window nowadays and instead count on faith??

secondly

Upping graphics settings does NOT shift processing onto the video card, where did you learn that garbage? are you just repeating the same nonsensical rumor that 14 year old kiddies of the DayZ community just spread around?

Upping graphics settings simply pushes the bottleneck onto the video card because you would be wasting time running DayZ at low if you got the same performance on high.

This is NOT the same as shifting processing on the video card, my god I have never heard such rubbish in my entire career in the computer field which includes programming.

No offense but please stop posting on this forum if you have to post this level of misinformation.

Go out buy buy your Intel and Nvidia but know one thing,your expensive hardware will still be crippled by the BIS engine

Still better than AMD products.

I have an i5 2500k + GTX 760 and I get worse FPS than you?

Ufbr5ej.gif