Sign in to follow this  
john5220

Why is Bohema so bad when it comes to AMD?

I think its not easy to add multithreading to the main engine. The engine is outdated and they would have spend alot of time and resources to rewrite it. I seen many games suffering from the same problem.

I don't think its bad optimization but more of a design limitation. Probably to do when they developed the engine at the beginning.

The other problem that amd has it that 2 physical cores has to share one floating point unit. Hurting the performance even more in dayz.

What resolutions are they running that on?

My 8320 is not that far off the 8350, although I will admit I am hampered by an ageing (but not dreadful) 7770.

my wife is playing 1080p(1920 x1080) my son does have a lower rated monitor its 1600 x900 (or something like that ,its pretty old pc, i built it 6 years ago and its still ticking but then it was pretty good back then )

my wife is playing 1080p(1920 x1080) my son does have a lower rated monitor its 1600 x900 (or something like that ,its pretty old pc, i built it 6 years ago and its still ticking but then it was pretty good back then )

I am running it at 1600x900 and get nowhere near that FPS.

My other kit is as I say a fairly sluggish 7770 although I have 16Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 memeory.

Edited by ricp

I have an AMD FX9 6300 six core processor running at  3.5ghz with 16GB of RAM and an excellent Radion graphics card and I have never had a problem with any game. 

I am running it at 1600x900 and get nowhere near that FPS.

My other kit is as I say a fairly sluggish 7770 although I have 16Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 memeory.

Hmmm i would have thought your results would have been better as i wouldnt have thought the GPU would hold it back that much but then the 7770 has less than half the g3d mark of my sons gtx 480 ( they were good cards just real hot but i did a home mod on it placing a h60i cpu cooler on it in a rather ugly but effective manner .

Hmmm i would have thought your results would have been better as i wouldnt have thought the GPU would hold it back that much but then the 7770 has less than half the g3d mark of my sons gtx 480 ( they were good cards just real hot but i did a home mod on it placing a h60i cpu cooler on it in a rather ugly but effective manner .

When I run afterburner neither my graphics card nor my CPU (or at least the one core of it) ever get maxed out. Not entirely too sure why that is however I would be more bothered if it was every game, but it's pretty much just DayZ. FC4 is stuttering but it's got lots of problems on every CPU.

In Bohemia's defense, they can't optimize for intel either!

Exactly, which is why some are idiots for slagging off AMD when it's clear the game is the problem not the chip.

• Like 2

Issue is mainly down to multithreading.

AMD processors have better multithreaded performance compared to Intel processors.

Intel processors have better multithreaded performance compared to AMD processors.

However, I have an AMD FX 6350 overclocked 24/7 to 4.5GHZ and an AMD Radeon HD 7870, which, while a fairly good build, is far from being a 'beast'. I have most of my settings on high or very high and my render distance at the default. I set my post processing, bloom and motion blur to minimal just because I hate the way they look, but I don't imagine that's a massive performance hit. Even in cities, I've yet to see the game dip under 40fps (for prolonged periods of time - cities often see a large fluctuation) since the very early alpha, though back then I had a crappy graphics card and (possibly? - not entirely sure when I actually upgraded it) a 3.0GHZ dual core processor.

Multithreading is part of optimization, however, which is generally of little focus in an alpha. An alpha is about adding features and finding the big bugs. If it's that awful, either upgrade your CPU or bear with it until Beta, which is where most optimization generally takes place. Sorry that it's crappy news, but the game is very CPU heavy and you're using the lower end of AMD processors. You might be able to get a fair improvement through overclocking which is fairly safe, easy and very effective on AMD CPU's though.

The game is poorly optimized in general at the moment, which is absolutely to be expected. Don't expect incredible results either way, but again, it's not even so much the fact that you're using AMD, it's the fact that you're using a cheaper chip. I assume you have an FX, which puts your chip at the bottom of the barrel of that series.

Edited by Beizs

Well let me try to explain the whole multicore Intel/Amd stuff. At least as far as i know.

Like 10 years ago the people came to something called manufacturing cap. Which means they couldn't build processors any more smaller. This is because if they would build them smaller the wires in it would just burn out like in a bad light bulb. So they couldn't go any smaller means they couldn't become faster. So they tried to find a way around this problem. At the same time i believe companies which build servers like HP/Dell rather then Amd/Intel were making attempts to put two (singlecore-)processors into one server. They found themselves being able to use this processors simultaneously like for two different programs/threads. So for example: they were able to run program A on the first core and program B on another core. So while they effectively doubled their computing power, they still weren't able to use this extra power. At least not with a single program. So somebody asked: "What would be if we code that program in a way that it splits up its work on several cores?" This technology is still pretty fresh and it's whats happening these days. Developers are trying to find out how exactly they can get the full power out of the multicores. While it's "easier" at applications like music rendering it become really tough when it comes to games. Because games are usually doing most things in a single process/task and splitting this to multiple cores can generate problems like lags. Also the operating systems are mostly using one core which means if a program/game has to wait for the OS it could have 1000 cores and it wouldn't make it any faster.

Today we got the same multicore technology from the servers shrinked down to "a single processor with multiple cores" but we still struggle to code programs (especially games) to split up to these multiple cores. This will probably enhance in the next 10 years because everything is still new to coders and the OSs will probably be more focused on multicore then today.

So while Intel was more looking forward to squeeze even the last Mhz out of their processors AMD was more into the multicore thing. That's basically why all games nowadays have to struggle with AMD processors and not only Dayz. If you were able to find a game that runs well with your AMD it can have two reasons:

1. The devs made an outstanding job on splitting their threads to multiple cores, while the whole engine has to be predestinated to that task.

2.(more likely) The game simply don't needs that much power and would also run on an Intel, even if the Intel has only the half of cores which your AMD has.

There also another phenomena that a single AMD core at 3,2Ghz is still slower than a single Intel core with 3,2Ghz. This comes from different manufacturing technologies and can observed in many benchmarks.

If your system isn't maxed out like in ricp case (or also mine), that's a complete different thing and mostly tied to bad optimization(let me say the Alpha word at this point).

Your next PC: get an Intel CPU if you like gaming rather then multitasking on editors and watch the progress of operating systems.

If i made horrible mistakes in my description feel free to comment

Edited by Freshmen

AMD FX-8320 Eight Core CPU (3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3+)

8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (1 x 8GB)

2GB AMD RADEON™ R9 270X - DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable

After a few tweaks etc I can run DayZ comfortably, hitting 20-30fps in large cities and 60-100fps in the open.

I'm running a PC straight off the shelf with an integrated card and get at least 20FPS in big cities no modifications, not even over clocking, just nothing but a basic pc.

If you're only getting 12FPS then I would start digging around your pc for a problem such as viruses, malware/spyware and so on.

I had a pretty decent AMD set up that coped well with most AAA games but just couldn't handle BIS games, as I love Arma 3 and DayZ i treated myself to an Intel based system and it too copes admirably with most AAA titles and I have to say handles Arma 3 and DayZ very well indeed. I get a steady 25 - 60 FPS depending on where I am, it dips in Cherno but everywhere else averages out at over 45 FPS with a mixture of High to Ultra settings.

Nobody wants to rubbish another persons hardware however it is fair to observe that Intel makes superior CPU's and Nvidia makes better GPU's than AMD, AMD are slightly cheaper but you get what you pay for.

Right now I would strongly suggest to anyone that loves playing this game but has AMD hardware that struggles with it, you should consider upgrading to Intel if you can, the improved performance is well worth the investment.

Edited by Noble Savage
  • Like 1

This is definitely a game optimization issue, not a 'Beating up on AMD users' situation.

i have a fairly high-end Intel CPU (I7 4770k - Stock) and 2 EVGA GTX 780's in SLI.

in High-Pop servers in the new big cities, i still get frequent 'stutters' and FPS drops down to around 25-50 and fluctuates rampantly as i rotate the view.

Blanket statements like 'buy intel for better performance' only feeds fanboyism and doesn't address the real issues at hand;

1. Is the engine modern and being optimized for multithreading and multi-core CPUs?

2. Is the game it's self being optimized to avoid drawing, rendering, and processing unnecessary content that has no bearing for that user's gameplay.

3. How heavily does the game rest on the CPU?

Bottom line with this, were dealing with what amounts to a heavily modified version of arma's engine. on top of that, that game it's self is still in ALPHA and has yet to have, major work on final optimization done. I think we can all expect better performance in beta and final, but with that said i think it will always be that higher performance Per-core will outweigh having More cores in the case of this title.

• Like 1

I have the -malloc=system -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 (AMD 8 Core) command line in steam so you'd hope it would pick up the other cores, but it just doesn't. From the screenshots I believe your assumption (and it's mine too) that DayZ only ever runs on the one core with Windows using the others.

Shouldn't you use -cpuCount=8 and -exThreads=7 for AMD octacores?

Shouldn't you use -cpuCount=8 and -exThreads=7 for AMD octacores?

From the documentation I've read, it's 4. Even then it makes no difference, only one core is used.

I have AMD and I wish I had Intel, it's not a fanboy thing it's a gamer thing.

Every intel user knows, most AMD users know that Intel hardware is better, the same goes for Nvidia, the only fanboys I see in this topic are stubborn AMD users who, despite seeing the evidence clear as day on any benchmarking website are determined to stand by thier brand. i have an AMD based rig, i honestly believed i was making a wise decision when I bought it what with saving a few quid here and there.

I now know I was wrong and deeply regret my purchase.

Edited by Macdeth
  • Like 4

This group of clowns will never get it running on PS4. Sony will not allow anyone to publish a game with as many problems as DayZ has/had will always have...

hey morons it's because intel has better single-threaded performance and dayz literally runs on 1-2 cores 

Edited by orlok

hey morons it's because intel has better single-threaded performance and dayz literally runs on 1-2 cores 

Hello there

Flinging insults around is a sure fire way to get a warning point. You should know that by now.

Dont do it. 2 points is close to a perm ban.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Every intel user knows, most AMD users know that Intel hardware is better, the same goes for Nvidia, the only fanboys I see in this topic are stubborn AMD users who, despite seeing the evidence clear as day on any benchmarking website are determined to stand by thier brand. i have an AMD based rig, i honestly believed i was making a wise decision when I bought it what with saving a few quid here and there.

yep, AMD ain't no good son

Go out buy buy your Intel and Nvidia but know one thing,your expensive hardware will still be crippled by the BIS engine

This group of clowns will never get it running on PS4. Sony will not allow anyone to publish a game with as many problems as DayZ has/had will always have...

what?

sad news for you..they allready had it running on ps4 hardware...now go back to reddit to spew you uninformed bullshit.

Actually, looking at benchmarks, only the higher end Intel consumer chips are better than the FX 8350. You can get a 8350 for about £110 here in the UK. Most of the good Intel chips cost a hell of a lot more.

Nvidia vs AMD isn't a question. Looking at cards that cost similar amounts, AMD beat the shit out of Nvidia.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the money, I'd buy the best Intel processor and the best Nvidia card. They both offer superior products... Just at ridiculously increased prices. Though, then again, I might actually consider keeping AMD and just getting the FX 9590 with a beast watercooling system. Would cost similar to an average cooling system and the top Intel CPU. I'd then proceed to nuke the shit out of it with overclocks and beat any Intel CPU.

The issue with benchmarks for AMD vs Intel is it's always stock. I've never seen a friends AMD computer which I couldn't clock to at least .5 GHZ more than it runs at stock. I managed to push a friends 8350 to 5.5ghz. Dropped it down to 5.3 for 24/7 though. Might have been able to go higher, but he was reluctant to push the voltage any more.

The main reason I dislike Intel is the fact that they push new sockets all the damn time. It's like what Apple do and it's plain shitty.

Edited by Beizs
  • Like 2