victusmortuus

What do you guys think of Vanilla Dayz?

Well this thread was moved to the pit which is the mod forum so I expect 1-2 replies  :emptycan:  :emptycan:

I hope this doesn't get moved to the barren wasteland that is the mod forum as there's no discussion to be had there, so if a mod is reading this.. please give it a chance here.

I've been playing Vanilla Mod for the past 3-4 days now and it's incredible how different it is and that's not a good thing as it seems Razor has tried to do things that the Standalone has (Broken Axes after use, Hunting Knife degrades) just things that step into the un-fun part of a video game. 

Then we have the Zombies in the mod which spawn three every time you go near an enterable building, they also hit you for anywhere between 1-3000 blood which is crazy considering how broken they are. Do I stand alone with these issues or do people either not care that the mod has gone a strange path or do you enjoy this style of play?

Edited by Victus Mortuus

I for one think that the current vanilla mod is awesome except for the over-powered zombies. I've had people say "they're not overpowered" and I just suck at the game, but they literally are.

The zombies are annoying because;

- does a shit load and unrealistic amount of damage

- if you're too close they'll repetitively hit like three times every second

- a zombie has a 100% chance to hit you while you run past it

Edited by Quackdot
  • Like 1

I for one think that the current vanilla mod is awesome except for the over-powered zombies. I've had people say "they're not overpowered" and I just suck at the game, but they literally are.

I thought at first it was my own fault and that I'd forgot how to play with proper Zombies (I played Epoch/Arma 3 for ages) but the more I played the more I noticed how bad it was. The Zombies in Dayz are broken, this is something we all know about so it confuses me when they buff them to the state they're in as it makes them more broken.

However nobody seems to be on this forum to stand against the recent updates like they were in the past, Razor wont change this either according to a few regular Vanilla players I met.

Am I dreaming?

-it's not unrealistic, if a Zombie apocalypse had to happen in real life, do you think Zombies would kiss you? just watch TWD, they bite and kill you. So their amount of damage is pretty damn realistic.

- of course, they want you dead, they ain't gonna stop after the first bite

-not true.

Zombies are not the real danger in DayZ, bandits are. If you have trouble against the zombies in DayZ my friends, then I'm sorry to tell you that you're a bambi and you don't stand a chance against a mean player like me.

You just need to run, or hide into a bush or a pine tree and they can't bite you no more, and if you don't know that, well, you're the worse bambi I've ever seen.

I Suggest you guys go back to Standalone where there's no zombies, 1 vehicles and 2 weapons and have a good time farming cherno, elektro and balota ;).

One last thing; have you ever seen the North?

• Like 4

I Love Vanilla i played over 400 hours in the Mod. However i would never go back after buying the SA. The Zombies are hard but not if you run inside a building. I actually liked that myself and other players could actually DIE from Zombies that was a good thing in my opinion. The most horrible thing about that game was the fact that Zombies would only spawn when another player was around , so it was almost impossible to sneak up on someone in any town. If you seen a buncha Zombies already there you would know a player was near.

i do enjoy the game right now due to the things you call the un-fun part and the "strong" Zs.

for me it is the best experience since patch 1.7.7.

maybe even better due to the degrading equipment.

• Like 1

I thought at first it was my own fault and that I'd forgot how to play with proper Zombies (I played Epoch/Arma 3 for ages) but the more I played the more I noticed how bad it was. The Zombies in Dayz are broken, this is something we all know about so it confuses me when they buff them to the state they're in as it makes them more broken.

However nobody seems to be on this forum to stand against the recent updates like they were in the past, Razor wont change this either according to a few regular Vanilla players I met.

You don't need me to change anything join in the dev work and change them yourself. But be warned this has been done many times and we always end up back to hard AI. I'm just the one that's blamed for it.

Even better use the forums search button and look at the 5 million threads about this topic and you will see a common end to every thread. My main issue with the AI outside the arma issues is the risk vs reward something we really need to work and improve on.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention about the evade and the blocking system now in dayz. witch allows you to evade an attack or block the attack.

When blocking gets finished you will be able to attach paper you find to your arms and legs witch will add to the blocking system. (when its done).

The max current damage from an AI attack is 1800 if i remember correct from viralzeds on a headhit.

• Like 1

Vanilla DayZ mod is where it's at honestly. The scope of what you can do and how each life can play out is amazing for me. I've been playing for about two years and each life still retains as many electrifying moments and nerve rattling encounters as my first.

I don't plan on buying the SA until it becomes more polished, but I've got nothing against the progress of SA and people that play it.

• Like 4

Am I dreaming?

-it's not unrealistic, if a Zombie apocalypse had to happen in real life, do you think Zombies would kiss you? just watch TWD, they bite and kill you. So their amount of damage is pretty damn realistic.

- of course, they want you dead, they ain't gonna stop after the first bite

-not true.

Zombies are not the real danger in DayZ, bandits are. If you have trouble against the zombies in DayZ my friends, then I'm sorry to tell you that you're a bambi and you don't stand a chance against a mean player like me.

You just need to run, or hide into a bush or a pine tree and they can't bite you no more, and if you don't know that, well, you're the worse bambi I've ever seen.

I Suggest you guys go back to Standalone where there's no zombies, 1 vehicles and 2 weapons and have a good time farming cherno, elektro and balota ;).

One last thing; have you ever seen the North?

It's a bit silly to compare Dayz to real life since Zombies don't exist.. Also in TWD Zombies don't bug out and run around so there's also that. 

I don't play the Standalone because it's very unfinished and the fact you have 25 posts and come across as if you're Frankie is a little funny to say the least.

You don't need me to change anything join in the dev work and change them yourself. But be warned this has been done many times and we always end up back to hard AI. I'm just the one that's blamed for it.

Even better use the forums search button and look at the 5 million threads about this topic and you will see a common end to every thread. My main issue with the AI outside the arma issues is the risk vs reward something we really need to work and improve on.

I've owned a server and I have no intention of going back to that again, too many hackers and what not. 

I actually did use the search function but nothing came up about Zombies for this patch as I said in the PM to you I just think the Zombies how they are seem a little 'too strong' when you take into account their very glaring issues which I'm sure every Dayz player worth their salt would agree with. I'm not sure if it'd be % based when you code them but I'd love for their some compromise between how they are now and how I personally feel they should be.

Edited by Victus Mortuus

We know there's an issue between risk and reward, the zeds have been changing pretty much ever patch we release to try and balance them. Ask anyone following the mod to verify we don't have the permission to release patches as we would like to everything has to go though a process before any release can be done. The ai will always have issue no matter what we do the damage output should always be a threat to players getting the exact balance isnt as easy to do. But i can guarantee no matter what we do these posts will always popup and the AI will be the heart of them all.

• Like 2

i think the zombies should be really strong, cus then people will start fearing the zombies, and help other players kill them, or group against the zombies, unlike in dayz SA, the zombies there are nothing, its just a PVP game for now.. it sucks

• Like 3

i think the zombies should be really strong, cus then people will start fearing the zombies, and help other players kill them, or group against the zombies, unlike in dayz SA, the zombies there are nothing, its just a PVP game for now.. it sucks

The Days of Dayz being about banding together with randoms and killing zeds was rare in its hayday so I don't expect it to ever happen now. If you want the buggy Zombies to do this much damage and stuff then fair enough but it's a shame as my group of friends wont play because they're more frustrating than a challenge.

• Like 1

The Days of Dayz being about banding together with randoms and killing zeds was rare in its hayday so I don't expect it to ever happen now. If you want the buggy Zombies to do this much damage and stuff then fair enough but it's a shame as my group of friends wont play because they're more frustrating than a challenge.

yea,i sometimes question my self, if zombies being that strong and op, a challenge or theyre just broken.. 

almost everybody who play surviving games like survive but hates die, playing a fps game ppl want kill and complain about death etc, ppl "want" challenges but cry if cant beat it, as plisken said "welcome to the human race" 

I enjoy vanilla because there still more to do at the moment and standalone being overun by squeeky little carebears now.

• Like 1

Zombies are deadly, and so they should be.

If players believe that living within cities or towns is wise, then I have some bad news for you. Towns and cities belong to the undead. We all have to start again, far from the deteriorating infrastructure of our past civilisation. Towns or cities would be saturated with decay, disease, pests and the undead and would not serve as a viable haven for the living. We have to try to rely on ourselves to survive, not on the past.

Vanilla imposes this point by making these areas dangerous, but the message becomes confused as players attempt to come to terms with how devastating an apocalypse would be. Stay out of town, scavenge the land, avoid injury and the undead. Deviating from this only serves to increase the risk of death or disease, as it should. Those who'd survive would be farmers, engineers and Bear Grylls.

Zombies provide a message which is hard to ignor. But due to their deadly nature they've been mistaken as a challenge to overcome, to somehow wrestle civilisation back from the dead, to retake the world. This is the exact opposite of their intention. Think differently about the world and how it works and you'll stand a much better chance of surviving. That is DayZ.

Edited by Cartoonrboy
  • Like 4

Zombies are deadly, and so they should be.

If players believe that living within cities or towns is wise, then I have some bad news for you. Towns and cities belong to the undead. We all have to start again, far from the deteriorating infrastructure of our past civilisation. Towns or cities would be saturated with decay, disease, pests and the undead and would not serve as a viable haven for the living. We have to try to rely on ourselves to survive, not on the past.

Vanilla imposes this point by making these areas dangerous, but the message becomes confused as players attempt to come to terms with how devastating an apocalypse would be. Stay out of town, scavenge the land, avoid injury and the undead. Deviating from this only serves to increase the risk of death or disease, as it should. Those who'd survive would be farmers, engineers and Bear Grylls.

Zombies provide a message which is hard to ignor. But due to their deadly nature they've been mistaken as a challenge to overcome, to somehow wrestle civilisation back from the dead, to retake the world. This is the exact opposite of their intention. Think differently about the world and how it works and you'll stand a much better chance of surviving. That is DayZ.

Exactly to your whole post. If the game played like a proper zombie survival movie? One bite would finish you off. Dayz  vanilla players should actually count themselves lucky that zeds cannot bite, and even their worst swipes are curable.

• Like 2

Man up you guys , if you don't like this broken potential less mod you can always come play standalone ;) but don't come if you're one of those carebears that complain about bugs in an alpha :) ... Dayz mod is dead !!!

Man up you guys , if you don't like this broken potential less mod you can always come play standalone ;) but don't come if you're one of those carebears that complain about bugs in an alpha :) ... Dayz mod is dead !!!

Sure, play Dayz SA   Release Date : 16 Dec 2013 ( Steam info ) so the game will be finished .... when ? maybe 2016 ? Btw, what do you call play Dayz SA ?  Pay 35 $ for a beta game that has more than 1 year in beta ? Sorry to ask but, whats the fun of dayz sa ?

• Like 1

I've been playing Vanilla Mod for the past 3-4 days now and it's incredible how different it is and that's not a good thing as it seems Razor has tried to do things that the Standalone has (Broken Axes after use, Hunting Knife degrades) just things that step into the un-fun part of a video game. 

Then we have the Zombies in the mod which spawn three every time you go near an enterable building, they also hit you for anywhere between 1-3000 blood which is crazy considering how broken they are. Do I stand alone with these issues or do people either not care that the mod has gone a strange path or do you enjoy this style of play?

FYI the changes that you claim are copying the SA were made before SA even released.  Those changes just weren't implemented because BI held up any mod updates for over 6 months around the time SA released.  As far as difficulty with zombies, it's a GREAT thing that they present a challenge (hell, I'm bummed out the devs nerfed them from 1.8.1 when they could actually catch up to you and hit you while you were running).  1.7.7 and 1.8.1 are the only two DayZ mod patches since I started playing 2 years ago in which the zombies were actually a *real* challenge.  Currently all you have to do to get away from them is run in a straight line.  And BTW like Razor said they cannot take 3000 blood in one hit.  =P  Where did you get that number?

You should be HAPPY for all the changes since 1.8.1!  The game is truly a zombie survival game now and not just a "run to NWAF for gear and PvP" zombie game.  If you want small numbers of pathetic wimpy zombies then go play SA.

Edited by Bullet_Catcher
  • Like 1

can not agree more bullet_catcher.

the 1.8.1 Zs were a big surprise and hooked me again to dayZ.

i am pretty happy with the state of the Zs right now. they were not whimped down too much and can not be ignored.

which happened after 1.7.7 too fast. but it was a hell of a week : )

• Like 1

DayZmod is undead. Epoch traders, map markers, lockable vehicles, indestructible builds etc, ruined the survival game by making it soft, now everyones bored. DayZmod survives on the FINALdayZ server...where survival, not shopping is king.