Sign in to follow this  
Helix2000

New Zombie idea...

so i got to thinking. what if the dayz art department created say three or four new zombie faces. then, every time a zombie spawns, the server randomly selects one of each type of new spawn cloths.

E.G.

zombie face model 2

green tshirt

black jeans

black runners.

the cloths should be at least badly damaged in appearance, and no items in the jeans, but they could be looted if the player needed it.

not saying get rid of the old zombies, just add this for some variety.

i am not a computer person though, so please idk if this would work, but it is an idea to add variety to the zombies you kill.

This was already discussed and, rather unfortunately, shot down by the devs.

It's honestly a great idea, because it would give alternate ways of getting clothing (albeit ruined 90% of the time with a few damaged or worn articles thrown in there) and simply increase the variety of zombies.

However, the problem with doing that is that it heavily affects optimization to have the zombies generate with actual clothing objects, rather than just using models attached to their skeleton. Performance could drop heavily and optimization is already a problem, and with the amount of time the devs would have to go through revamping the systems to implement this, it probably just wasn't worth it for them. If there weren't so many potential client/serverside issues with it I'd cheer it on, but it doesn't seem like it'd work.

However, I still fancy the idea that zombies should have a chance to spawn with some minor loot on them, just as they did in the mod. Nothing fancy (No guns, large objects, clothes, or high-tier loot and pretty much everything is worn) but you still might be able to grab a few bullets or a can of beans off that zombie you killed. It would be hardly worth dealing with the buggy zombies to be worth grinding for, but it was still a nice touch in the mod that made the world seem more "previously lively."

• Like 1

so i got to thinking. what if the dayz art department created say three or four new zombie faces. then, every time a zombie spawns, the server randomly selects one of each type of new spawn cloths.

E.G.

zombie face model 2

green tshirt

black jeans

black runners.

the cloths should be at least badly damaged in appearance, and no items in the jeans, but they could be looted if the player needed it.

not saying get rid of the old zombies, just add this for some variety.

i am not a computer person though, so please idk if this would work, but it is an idea to add variety to the zombies you kill.

Well, they are working on a system to easily implement a larger variety of zombies:

http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-week-of-01-dec-14

I mean it's a cool idea that has been talked about a lot (like Chaingunfighter said), but in my opinoion there are more important topics for zombies right now, especially the server performance. As you probably know, they want to increase the number of zombies now, but a lootable zombie would probably slow this process down, especially when thinking about server performance.

Even in the future, when the server performance is better, If I had the choice I'd rather take even more zombies instead of lootable zombies.

Edited by degude