Sign in to follow this  
Zing Freelancer

DayZ 0.5 first impression after long break

Hello forum & DayZ developers.

After a long break over summer my attention got drawn to release of new patch and I decided to jump on DayZ to see how far it has come. I had to start completely from scratch as my previous character got wiped out. Thus my mighty quest for epic loot had begun!

I spawned in Svetlojarsk (north east corner), looted around for basic items, backpack, rain jacket, food, drink, shotgun and set out to North-East airfield to get some proper loot. Boy did I get disappointed by how empty North-East airfield become? There was absolutely nothing there to loot at all. On my way out I stopped at Krasnostav police station and headed for Severograd. At this time I had a water proff backpack, camo Mousin with Burlap grass wrap, 40 rounds of ammo for Mosin, PLU scope, medkit, couple saline bags, enough food and couple of canteens, everything pristine. Now that I think about it, I have not seen a single "bad quality" item in over 6 hours of play.

I doubled back to Novodmitrovsk because I wanted to check a small spot in the forest between Novodmitrovsk and Krasnostav, then headed for Severograd, through Devils Castle and finally landed on North-West airfield (landed, hah). As I was making my way to the airfield I picked up an engraved 1911 with no magazines and sniping scope for mosin.

On North-West airfield I wanted to hit the tents, find me remaining attachments for mosin, some mags for 1911 or even an FNX with silencer and few mags. Pick up some military clothing and maybe even find some storage boxes. But here where bizzare things started to happen, as I entered a fire station I saw tons of loot there, I literally picked up 6 storage boxes right on the spot! My guess there must be some bug with server restarting as it does not clean up old loot, but spawn new one.

Anyway, I found a lot of clothing, boots, huge amount of backpacks but I could not find what I needed the most, magazines for my 1911 or even ammo for mosin. Not to mention something so basic as FNX. Military boots now can hold a combat knife, but after six hours I still have not seen a single combat knife. I found multiple Smesh backpacks but apparently to craft the full set I have to go hunting for helicopter crash sites and hope it spawns what I need. According to wiki each server spawn 3 helicopter crash sites upon restart, are you guys being serious that players has to look for a needle in a haystack in order to get some basic equipment?

I tried multiple servers but not a single one had magazines of any type, not even for mosin or 1911. In my personal opinion I liked to loot NW, NE and Balota in order to get my gear in order, I also loved it when server restarts and you rejoin it and be the first one to pick up all the good stuff. Now, even though I visited multiple fire station and police stations on my way to NW, I did not find anything worthwhile, neither did I find anything worthwhile on NW. So where do I find this good loot I used to pick up on NW before?

On another note, my character seem to like to overheat and refuses to cool off unless I bath him in water for 5 minutes, drench his clothing and then he will be fine for another 30 minutes of running around. I just want to point out that there is 2 common travelling methods, jogging and sprinting. Nobody who isn't role playing got time to walk from Krasnostav to North-West airfield. Am just saying that you need to take a look at your heating system, I left my fully dressed character with military shirt, pants, west, sky-mask and helmet, lying under a tree for ten minutes in rain weather. Only to comeback and he was still "overheating".

EDIT:

I could not help but notice that you "fixed" ammo stacking. Aka unload 60 bullets from a large magazine as is and pack them into ammo box, essentially tripling the amount of ammo you can carry. Which was insanely cool and super useful. Now you can only have 20/30 bullet stacks and in some cases that is just too little. For pistols 30 bullets in a stack is more than enough, 20 for mosin is also fine. But having 30 bullets stack for assault rifles is just a waste of inventory. I would greatly appreciate it if stacks could increase.

Another small suggestion is to make ammo container have a fixed amount of bullets it can hold instead of fixed amount of slot stacks. Lets say one ammo container can contain 600 bullets of any type, what you fill it with is completely up to you.

Edited by Zing Freelancer
  • Like 2

The game has gone completely downhill mate, i would stear well clear. I have not been able to find a better gun then a mosin for about a month now so all i do is log in every now and then, search the north west airfield to see if the loot has been fixed, log out again in disappointment.

All my friends confirm the same thing, game is not worth playing at the moment.

• Like 1

The game has gone completely downhill mate, i would stear well clear. I have not been able to find a better gun then a mosin for about a month now so all i do is log in every now and then, search the north west airfield to see if the loot has been fixed, log out again in disappointment.

All my friends confirm the same thing, game is not worth playing at the moment.

If you think the game's not worth playing because you can't find an automatic rifle, you're playing the wrong game. This is a survival game, not a FPS. There's plenty to do and a lot of very cool new features to explore, you shouldn't let the scarcity of high end military weapons drive you away from a very fun gaming experience.

• Like 11

Guns and ammo in general are harder to find. That seems to operate pretty much across the board, and was also the case in 0.49.

FNXs and combat knives have only been spawning at heli crash sites (the smoking UH60 ones, not the buggy Russian Mi-8 ones). Unsure as to whether this remains the case in 0.5, although whether items like this are really 'basic' is a bit questionable. And yes, crash site hunting is very hard work.

The temperature system seems to have veered from a period in 0.49 where most people were freezing their nuts off (which was hotfixed no pun intended), to the latest situation where people are overheating very quickly and having to drink gallons of water. Even though the water pumps don't seem to work. :|

But having 30 bullets stack for assault rifles is just a waste of inventory.

Its not - its the choice you made by selecting an assault rifle. Burning through rounds quickly and needing quite some space for ammo are two of their major disadvantages. Thats one of the reason the smaller rounds were introduced - so soldiers could carry more ammo.

Re-adding "ammo stacking" or greatly increasing stack size for assault weapons would be a completely unnecessary and unneeded buff.

• Like 1

OP describes camo gear, and weapon clips as basic equipment? as has been said above, you are in the wrong game, this is survival. food, clothing and water are basic needs, amazeballs guns and military gear are high end items that should not be easily found by someone who just spawned....

The game has not gone downhill, because it is not the game yet, it is a piece of software under development, so let it develop.

• Like 2

btw. did anybody found ammo for the sks?

Since the update i found about 10 sks (but not a single bullet for it)

same for pistol mags NONE but i guess if found 500 bullets (i no longer even pick it up) for my magnum

Yeah I am literately lying on ground in the pouring rain without without rain resisting clothing and my status is "Overheating" and "Soaked" in addition to being well hydrated.

At the moment I see the game as having bad loot distribution. There are some desirable items that are very common (like good backpacks, military clothing, storage boxes, shotguns and basic weapons) and there are some items that are a complete bitch to find, like cartridges and magazines. Finding a coyote backpack used to be an achievement in vanilla DayZ while Alice backpack was the "common" next best thing. I find all kinds of backpacks in DROVES, even hunting and mountain backpack. I even found two range finders laying around and these used to be like the hardest item to get in vanilla DayZ, right next to night vision goggles.

In my opinion current item availability greatly degrease item usefulness. Even if an automatic weapon is desirable, because of the scarcity of ammunition and mods for the weapon (including difficulty to find magazines) said weapon become rather undesirable. Just like in the vanilla DayZ silenced weapons and ammunition used to be extremely rare and while Bizon SD were easy to find, you never had enough ammunition for it. STANAG SD were fairly common while finding an SD weapon for these mags was a nightmare.

This is especially badly reflected over pistols, I find macarovs and magazines for macarov in droves. But not a single magazine for 1911 or a revolver. What does it mean? Well most people who wish for a side arm will use a macarov or settle for a revolver as it has 6 bullets in the drum between each reload. Further more people running around with automatic rifle, even if they have no desire to murder other players will most likely become a target, just because some people want your sh1t.

As for the combat knife, I don't understand why it should be difficult to find. It's not like combat knife is a complete OP game changing item, it's just a melee weapon with some extra utility.

EDIT:

OP describes camo gear, and weapon clips as basic equipment? as has been said above, you are in the wrong game, this is survival. food, clothing and water are basic needs, amazeballs guns and military gear are high end items that should not be easily found by someone who just spawned....

The game has not gone downhill, because it is not the game yet, it is a piece of software under development, so let it develop.

I describe this items common because they used to be very easy to find in earlier builds. Items such as camo clothing and military wests are rather common items in my opinion.

Anyway, I am a loot wh0re who used to have droves of items in EPOCH, I could literally equip a whole army if needed. I love collecting items for my friends and giving them away, current loot system is not satisfying enough in terms of risk vs reward vs time investment.

Also I spent about 20 minutes thinking and writing this post, meanwhile my character was soaked and lying on in the open ground under constant rain. Now he finally has cooled off, but not enough to start freezing. So yeah, temperature system is not optimal yet.

Edited by Zing Freelancer

The 60 bullets stack has been a bug and filling an ammo box with it has been an exploit. That has been addressed and fixed. I agree with you, that you should be able to fill the ammo box with whatever ammo you want to a fixed amount or while 9 mm bullets are smaller than 7.62 mm a weight system should be used. Say the ammo box has a capacity of 600 ammo points, a 9 mm bullet has 0.5, 7.62 has 1 and 5.56 has 0.8 points. On the other hand I think that the approach the devs take is the fairest and probably the least complicated. 

Yet we should not forget that they are testing and we are volunteer tester. No, it's more like we forced them to let us test it.

Edited by umberfive
  • Like 1

If you think the game's not worth playing because you can't find an automatic rifle, you're playing the wrong game. This is a survival game, not a FPS. There's plenty to do and a lot of very cool new features to explore, you shouldn't let the scarcity of high end military weapons drive you away from a very fun gaming experience.

I think he is a troll.

After a long break over summer my attention got drawn to release of new patch and I decided to jump on DayZ to see how far it has come. I had to start completely from scratch as my previous character got wiped out. Thus my mighty quest for epic loot had begun!

I spawned in Svetlojarsk (north east corner), looted around for basic items, backpack, rain jacket, food, drink, shotgun and set out to North-East airfield to get some proper loot

Hello, and welcome back. Much has changed in the previous months.

For example, what you've listed over there? It's not "basic" equipment...those are necessary items, and in some of the past experimental versions of 0.50 were somehow difficult to obtain. Rain and wind now influence your character's health, a good backpack is necessary to store items and avoid their degradation, food and drinks are even more necessary considering the new smaller size of your character' stomach and his quicker calories/water consumption.

Boy did I get disappointed by how empty North-East airfield become? There was absolutely nothing there to loot at all

It was nerfed a long time ago - and thank God it was. Even now too many people stay on the coastal areas, having a military base so close to the eastern coast was detrimental to proper player dispersion.

On my way out I stopped at Krasnostav police station and headed for Severograd. At this time I had a water proff backpack, camo Mousin with Burlap grass wrap, 40 rounds of ammo for Mosin, PLU scope, medkit, couple saline bags, enough food and couple of canteens, everything pristine. Now that I think about it, I have not seen a single "bad quality" item in over 6 hours of play

Last iteration of experimental 0.50 and current stable 0.50 are full of pristine items somehow - previously most of the items were damaged or badly damaged. "Birthday" barns, police or fire stations sometimes happens: it seems those areas sometimes give birth to stacks upon stacks of loot for no reason at all.

I found multiple Smesh backpacks but apparently to craft the full set I have to go hunting for helicopter crash sites and hope it spawns what I need. According to wiki each server spawn 3 helicopter crash sites upon restart, are you guys being serious that players has to look for a needle in a haystack in order to get some basic equipment?

It's not basic equipment. You can find or craft better items...it's just one of the many items used by the developers to cater to a particular section of the playerbase. There are some people who NEED military clothes, so they put them in. Other people want immersion, so they try to build immersion. Others want PvP, so they increase the number of firearms...and so on.

On a more general note: you have to revise your priorities. Military stuff is no longer considered "basic" loot. It's something you need time (helicopter hunting) or balls (braving military installations a.k.a. killzones) or even both to acquire. I don't bother with the airfields and the new southwestern military bases anymore, for example. No need to, there is ton of other stuff just as good as its military equivalent.

I tried multiple servers but not a single one had magazines of any type, not even for mosin or 1911. In my personal opinion I liked to loot NW, NE and Balota in order to get my gear in order, I also loved it when server restarts and you rejoin it and be the first one to pick up all the good stuff. Now, even though I visited multiple fire station and police stations on my way to NW, I did not find anything worthwhile, neither did I find anything worthwhile on NW. So where do I find this good loot I used to pick up on NW before?

Gha. Server hopping for weapons? Don't mention it on the public forums.

On another note, my character seem to like to overheat and refuses to cool off unless I bath him in water for 5 minutes, drench his clothing and then he will be fine for another 30 minutes of running around. I just want to point out that there is 2 common travelling methods, jogging and sprinting. Nobody who isn't role playing got time to walk from Krasnostav to North-West airfield. Am just saying that you need to take a look at your heating system, I left my fully dressed character with military shirt, pants, west, sky-mask and helmet, lying under a tree for ten minutes in rain weather. Only to comeback and he was still "overheating"

Body temperature management is fine, no need to tweak it...if you run you build up heath and if you sprint you do the same but faster. Clothes influence heavily the cold/hot status - choose the right ones and keep at least a rain jacket in the backpack. This iteration of 0.50 seems to be in summer or spring: overheating is fairly easy...if you don't sprint all time in the sun covered by plastic or covered by kevlar simply stopping in a building/shade and removing head and torso items should help.

I could not help but notice that you "fixed" ammo stacking. Aka unload 60 bullets from a large magazine as is and pack them into ammo box, essentially tripling the amount of ammo you can carry. Which was insanely cool and super useful. Now you can only have 20/30 bullet stacks and in some cases that is just too little. For pistols 30 bullets in a stack is more than enough, 20 for mosin is also fine. But having 30 bullets stack for assault rifles is just a waste of inventory. I would greatly appreciate it if stacks could increase

You would appreciate indeed, many other players undoubtedly no. Having an assault rifle in hand is a big advantage - for sake of game balancing let's avoid piling up too many advantages.

• Like 1

Hey Doc, thanks for replying. I am not crying because of changes or asking to revert to how things used to be. I am simply trying to provide constructive feedback on my experience in DayZ. I found a fair share of ammo for Mosin, but carrying 4x20 stacks of ammo with me all the time is silly, so I reduced it to 2x20, the problem is that once you start using your primary weapon you would quickly run out of ammo. On top of which 5.56 come in stacks of 30 while 7.62 come in stacks of 20, I just wish for a more unified ammo system, so that some weapons wont have an advantage over others.

If people want to PVP there is a large amount of shotguns easily available, ammo seems to be also common. Vanilla DayZ and Epoch have always been about snipers, you wanted to PVP, you got yourself a sniper. Very few people were actually doing PVP with assault rifles or went into close range, mainly due to the latency delay between shooting and dying, even mortally wounded your opponent still had a chance to turn around and kill you. My point being, mosin is what goes around for a sniper rifle in SA and its fairly common and while I am not much of a PvP person, I simply miss M4 because I could put a silencer on it and kill zombies with minimal risk. Axe is fine too, of course, silent and even saves ammo, but sometimes you just wanna shoot stuff. Speaking of axes, did they do something to melee? It is much easier to hit zombies with fire axe now and they die with one hit (except for military zombies).

Bolota was completely overpowered in the sense of how much loot it provided, however I do not feel like NE airfield was such a gold mine. Sure there was a few buildings yeah, but with current loot iteration even NW airfield with dozen of military loot spawns got absolutely no worthwhile loot.

What are those military installation are you talking about?

I spawned in Svetlojarsk (north east corner), looted around for basic items, backpack, rain jacket, food, drink, shotgun and set out to North-East airfield to get some proper loot. Boy did I get disappointed by how empty North-East airfield become? There was absolutely nothing there to loot at all. On my way out I stopped at Krasnostav police station and headed for Severograd. At this time I had a water proff backpack, camo Mousin with Burlap grass wrap, 40 rounds of ammo for Mosin, PLU scope, medkit, couple saline bags, enough food and couple of canteens, everything pristine. Now that I think about it, I have not seen a single "bad quality" item in over 6 hours of play.

I doubled back to Novodmitrovsk because I wanted to check a small spot in the forest between Novodmitrovsk and Krasnostav, then headed for Severograd, through Devils Castle and finally landed on North-West airfield (landed, hah). As I was making my way to the airfield I picked up an engraved 1911 with no magazines and sniping scope for mosin.

On North-West airfield I wanted to hit the tents, find me remaining attachments for mosin, some mags for 1911 or even an FNX with silencer and few mags. Pick up some military clothing and maybe even find some storage boxes. But here where bizzare things started to happen, as I entered a fire station I saw tons of loot there, I literally picked up 6 storage boxes right on the spot! My guess there must be some bug with server restarting as it does not clean up old loot, but spawn new one.

Anyway, I found a lot of clothing, boots, huge amount of backpacks but I could not find what I needed the most, magazines for my 1911 or even ammo for mosin. Not to mention something so basic as FNX. Military boots now can hold a combat knife, but after six hours I still have not seen a single combat knife. I found multiple Smesh backpacks but apparently to craft the full set I have to go hunting for helicopter crash sites and hope it spawns what I need. According to wiki each server spawn 3 helicopter crash sites upon restart, are you guys being serious that players has to look for a needle in a haystack in order to get some basic equipment?

On another note, my character seem to like to overheat and refuses to cool off unless I bath him in water for 5 minutes, drench his clothing and then he will be fine for another 30 minutes of running around. I just want to point out that there is 2 common travelling methods, jogging and sprinting. Nobody who isn't role playing got time to walk from Krasnostav to North-West airfield. Am just saying that you need to take a look at your heating system, I left my fully dressed character with military shirt, pants, west, sky-mask and helmet, lying under a tree for ten minutes in rain weather. Only to comeback and he was still "overheating".

EDIT:

I could not help but notice that you "fixed" ammo stacking. Aka unload 60 bullets from a large magazine as is and pack them into ammo box, essentially tripling the amount of ammo you can carry. Which was insanely cool and super useful. Now you can only have 20/30 bullet stacks and in some cases that is just too little. For pistols 30 bullets in a stack is more than enough, 20 for mosin is also fine. But having 30 bullets stack for assault rifles is just a waste of inventory. I would greatly appreciate it if stacks could increase.

Another small suggestion is to make ammo container have a fixed amount of bullets it can hold instead of fixed amount of slot stacks. Lets say one ammo container can contain 600 bullets of any type, what you fill it with is completely up to you.

I've yet to find a combat knife as well.....

NO.

The reason i played this game is because it is a survival game, no where in what i said did i state the game was not worth playing because 'I can't find an automatic rifle' so don't twist my words. If i spend the time and the resources to try and find something i should eventually be able to find it. If you have that much time on your hands then good for you, this game will be perfect for you, i used to like dayz when it had a risk vs reward factor to it, that unfortunately has been completely ruined as i do not feel like i am being rewarded for the risk i am taking in the game, i have already been shot at several times and i have squat to show for it, i can not be bothered to log in anymore, the game bores me, and i have nothing to look forward to when i log in, that's why the game is not worth playing.

It has fuck all to do with finding an automatic rifle.

Edit : Cool new features to explore, like what ??

Edited by anotherdeadhero

NO.

The reason i played this game is because it is a survival game, no where in what i said did i state the game was not worth playing because 'I can't find an automatic rifle' so don't twist my words. If i spend the time and the resources to try and find something i should eventually be able to find it. If you have that much time on your hands then good for you, this game will be perfect for you, i used to like dayz when it had a risk vs reward factor to it, that unfortunately has been completely ruined as i do not feel like i am being rewarded for the risk i am taking in the game, i have already been shot at several times and i have squat to show for it, i can not be bothered to log in anymore, the game bores me, and i have nothing to look forward to when i log in, that's why the game is not worth playing.

It has fuck all to do with finding an automatic rifle.

Edit : Cool new features to explore, like what ??

You clearly stated you stopped playing because you said and I quote "have not been able to find a better gun then a mosin for about a month". Now, unless you think a 1911 pistol is better than a mosin, you're obviously referring to the M4A1, AK101 or the AKM, which are indeed assault rifles. New features? One of them is agriculture, growing vegetable. But since you don't have enough time like I do and they don't have assault rifle seeds implemented yet, you probably won't be doing that either. You are talking about being rewarded for spending time and resources to find what you are looking for, while completely ignoring the luck factor. You also state having being shot at and having nothing to show for it. If you lived through an hostile encounter and feel like you have nothing to show for it, well all I can say is that your own perception of what is enjoyable or not is the only thing preventing you from having fun. Let me reiterate, you have been shot at, and survived. That in itself is an achievement to be proud of.

Edited by EchoZeero
  • Like 1

Unless I am mistaken (nobody's perfect!) AK101's and AKM's will only be found in military barracks.  Even then it's rare.  Having Zele as my HQ, I frequently visit the barracks.  Only once out of 10 logins in the past month did I find an AK101.  And That time there were 2 in the same building.  Even better, I found an M4 on a heli crash. Then I update, log in, and I'm unconcious, then dead.  Now I'm happy because I don't have the burden of good loot to lose.  Now I'll go make friends till I can kill** a bandit and get a good gun.

**ONLY if I am threatened, or he has an M4.  Or a sub machine gun.  I still haven't shot one yet. 

Guns have been a pain to find (ammo or magazines mostly) since .49, but I remember hearing that in .50 guns and mags where going to be relatively easier to find? Maybe you just weren't looking in the right spots? I've found plenty of AK101's in places like Zelenegorsk and the small military base near the NWAF, mags and ammo where always the issue.

I haven't played in about 2 weeks though.

IMO, it has never been easier to survive in .50 build. You can build a bow extremely easily, and arrows are little more than a sharpened stick +  feather away (note: you can find feathers in chicken coops, AKA the little sheds with the ramp). 

Is a bow as easy to use as a rifle? No. But, it is a OHK on zombies and players, so long as you get the arrow into their upper chest. 

So, with an axe, a rope, and 5 minutes of your time, you are now no longer defenseless. 

Is a bow as easy to use as a rifle? No. But, it is a OHK on zombies and players, so long as you get the arrow into their upper chest. 

Is this true? Bows were useless last time I played.

Is this true? Bows were useless last time I played.

Yep.  At least, when I've used it. You can't move and shoot, however, and arrows are constrained to a measly 20m, but it is a viable weapon.

Case in point, I spawned in Solnichny today. Within 15 minutes, I had a bow, an improvised backpack, 15 arrows, and was on my way to Berezino to get myself some sweet, sweet cow meat.

Yep.  At least, when I've used it. You can't move and shoot, however, and arrows are constrained to a measly 20m, but it is a viable weapon.

Case in point, I spawned in Solnichny today. Within 15 minutes, I had a bow, an improvised backpack, 15 arrows, and was on my way to Berezino to get myself some sweet, sweet cow meat.

how many cows did you kill before remembering about the knife?

how many cows did you kill before remembering about the knife?

I had a machete. Need either a machete or a knife to sharpen the sticks for arrows : P

I had a machete. Need either a machete or a knife to sharpen the sticks for arrows : P

Fair play.

Many an innocent critter has lost its life unnecessarily just before I began cursing my forgetfulness. That is all.

There is not 'plenty' to do and there are no 'cool' new features, same old kill on sight deathmatch. This game is hardly a survival game at all.