leviathanapsu

KoS as part of the zombie infection

I have been rolling the concept of KoS over in my mind. For many of those who prefer an interactive experience as opposed to a deathmatch, KoS can be infuriating. Now, I am not going to go into the debate over KoS vs RP debate again. I already did that once a while back. What I am focusing on here instead is a way for those more interested in the idea of a plot arc to feel like they aren't kicked out of immersion by some random person who shoots at everything that moves killing them without so much as a 'freeze' spoken.

Obviously, if you are the sort who loves to KoS, you can hit the back button now. Sure, you might like to see it and can stay, but this isn't directed at you. It isn't even an indictment of your actions. So, to the rest of you who find KoS frustrating, here are my thoughts. As the title says, KoS is part of the zombie infection. Look at what we know about the zombies and compare that to what we know about the KoSers.

1) Zombies are highly aggressive and attack any moving thing they come across. KoSers are extremely aggressive and attack anyone they come across.

2) Zombies may be found alone or in groups. KoSers sometimes travel alone, but often roam in groups of close friends.

3) Zombies do not attack other zombies who are around them. KoSers won't attack the others of their group.

So we have a pattern of similar behavior. What differs is that the zombies no longer have functional minds. They just stand there or roam around in a neat pattern until something passes in front of them. The humans who are KoSing still have functional minds. They move around the map, gather supplies and act in a (sometimes semi) tactical manner. What I draw from this is that there are multiple variations on the zombie infection.

The first and most obvious is the one where your mind gets broken down very quickly and all that is left is aggression without thoughts or focus. The second is a slower breakdown. In both cases, your still recognize the people you are most familiar with (IE: other zombies you have been associating with or other KoSers), but anyone new introduced into your presence is not seen as anything more than a moving target. Where the traditional zombies have lost all that makes them human, the KoSers are clinging to some aspects of their humanity. They are aggressive killers, but convince themselves it is their own choice. The slow infection makes them quick to embrace the worst parts of their humanity and kill those who they see regardless of circumstances. Bambi shooting, attacking anyone they see without hesitation or even trying to cry friendly to get someone to come closer are all symptoms.

Obviously this isn't the case in the real world, but it works well as a rational for when it happens in the game. Some of those you meet just happen to be the worst aspects of humanity, but some are infected and don't even realize they are already dead men walking. So what do you think? Solid narrative for explaining what is happening when some KoSer snipes fresh spawns for fun or when some guy you were trying to give food to decides to axe you for kicks?

• Like 10

Ha, this is pretty much the exact same theory i came up with myself,

Its the only logical explanation, thing is...how can i be sure i'm not infected too..?

Edit: Here's my take on it

"why are the survivors not infected?

They are, we are all infected.

First sign of infection was a dramatically increased metabolism and need to constantly eat and drink.

Most then progressed to an increased tendency towards violence and clouded judgement regarding their own safety, going into conflict without caring for their own survival, only the kill mattered.

And then the majority succumbed fully to the infection, becoming zombie like in behaviour, unable to communicate driven only by a constant hatred towards those who are unlike themselves.

There has been a few cases of some regaining humanity after a time, though few can remember anything of what happened while in the zombie state, apart from maybe the occasional flashback, most likely their mind has blocked out the terrible scenes caused by the rage.

Edited by Fluxley
  • Like 5

I imagine KoS could be reduced if everyone had to choose one server and stick to it. Would make it more probable that players formed relations. Or atleast recognized each other.

• Like 1

I can spread beans for the thought.  Makes me think of the movie "The Crazies"  realistically one of the less quality movies out there.  This trailer below, describes the behavior.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 1

Fun mental exercise.

But the less RP version is that survival isn't hard enough and guns are to easy to get. After those things get tuned then the game will probably have less... 'infected kosers'

Edited by Judopunch
  • Like 1

I have been rolling the concept of KoS over in my mind. For many of those who prefer an interactive experience as opposed to a deathmatch, KoS can be infuriating. Now, I am not going to go into the debate over KoS vs RP debate again. I already did that once a while back. What I am focusing on here instead is a way for those more interested in the idea of a plot arc to feel like they aren't kicked out of immersion by some random person who shoots at everything that moves killing them without so much as a 'freeze' spoken.

Obviously, if you are the sort who loves to KoS, you can hit the back button now. Sure, you might like to see it and can stay, but this isn't directed at you. It isn't even an indictment of your actions. So, to the rest of you who find KoS frustrating, here are my thoughts. As the title says, KoS is part of the zombie infection. Look at what we know about the zombies and compare that to what we know about the KoSers.

1) Zombies are highly aggressive and attack any moving thing they come across. KoSers are extremely aggressive and attack anyone they come across.

2) Zombies may be found alone or in groups. KoSers sometimes travel alone, but often roam in groups of close friends.

3) Zombies do not attack other zombies who are around them. KoSers won't attack the others of their group.

So we have a pattern of similar behavior. What differs is that the zombies no longer have functional minds. They just stand there or roam around in a neat pattern until something passes in front of them. The humans who are KoSing still have functional minds. They move around the map, gather supplies and act in a (sometimes semi) tactical manner. What I draw from this is that there are multiple variations on the zombie infection.

The first and most obvious is the one where your mind gets broken down very quickly and all that is left is aggression without thoughts or focus. The second is a slower breakdown. In both cases, your still recognize the people you are most familiar with (IE: other zombies you have been associating with or other KoSers), but anyone new introduced into your presence is not seen as anything more than a moving target. Where the traditional zombies have lost all that makes them human, the KoSers are clinging to some aspects of their humanity. They are aggressive killers, but convince themselves it is their own choice. The slow infection makes them quick to embrace the worst parts of their humanity and kill those who they see regardless of circumstances. Bambi shooting, attacking anyone they see without hesitation or even trying to cry friendly to get someone to come closer are all symptoms.

Obviously this isn't the case in the real world, but it works well as a rational for when it happens in the game. Some of those you meet just happen to be the worst aspects of humanity, but some are infected and don't even realize they are already dead men walking. So what do you think? Solid narrative for explaining what is happening when some KoSer snipes fresh spawns for fun or when some guy you were trying to give food to decides to axe you for kicks?

Excelent theory, I love it. Simple, yet explains everything without going into too much make-believe.

But only one question. If the first simptom of infection is excessive eating, are we all destined to become zombies at one point? Or some manage to fight it off? How does it work?

I explain KOS to myself as resources being scarce, people starving, and more people simply makes things worse.  I do a service to anyone not in my sights.  If you are in my sights, however, you did something wrong.

Or maybe some people are just opportunists who would take advantage of the breakdown of society and turn into bad guys as soon as it became viable for them to do so. We see this in real life all the time. During the Katrina crisis murder, rape, robbery all skyrocketed due to the absence of law and order. A hockey game can cause a riot that turns people into violent animals in a city like Vancouver - beating fellow citizens near to death and tearing a city apart simply due to diffusion of responsibility and by extension, a removal of the belief that there are legal consequences for one's actions - no "partial zombie infection" required.

Take away law and order and many people will turn into bad guys. And not even due to desperation per se, simply because for many people the only incentive to not harm others is the fear of legal consequences. The above examples are just two of many. If a truly apocalyptic scenario came about and people could kill for no good reason with no fear of consequences, it would be just like it is in DayZ. It would start with a minority of truly bad individuals killing unnecessarily, then a wider range of people would become distrustful of others and begin killing people they come across out of fear, and then it would settle into a "don't trust anyone" scenario just like it is in DayZ.

Honestly, you don't need to invent a zombie infection narrative to explain assholes killing others for no good reason. This would occur in a real wold apocalypse without the help of any zombie infection, guaranteed.

Edited by Ham_Sandwich27