Sign in to follow this  
ramsfan00

Why no kill logs on private shard?

I was going to rent a Private Shard today until I discovered you don't have access to Kill Logs.  The Kill Logs are there so what gives?  Otherwise it defeats the point of stopping hackers via private shard.

How exactly are kill list and private shards going to stop cheats ?

The only things that will help is enforce the PvE only rules. 

For one, if you are killed by a hacker and are the admin you can easily see who killed you and who is hacking.

If you receive multiple reports regarding a hacker just killed me and notice someone kill 5-10 guys in a few minute span, BINGO. 

Without being able to see players names this is the most effective tool for stopping hackers on your private shard.  Otherwise how are you going to stop me from hacking on your shard?

The kill logs can be abused by admins, duh they can also ban everyone if they want too.  Defeats the point of spending 140$ a month though and have the server empty because of admin abuse.  There will be good servers, like USC, who will ban hackers via kill logs.  Fact is battleeye just isnt working at the moment due to the game in Alpha.  Admins need better tools to regular their servers.  This is just a suggestion.

Edited by ramsfan00
  • Like 4

I use to play on an illegal private hive once.  Guess what, no one cheated or dupped.  Why?  There was no battleeye running, so why no hackers?  Because they would get banned and for good from the server.  Same if you were caught with a glitched gun.  Admins > Battleye.

For one, if you are killed by a hacker and are the admin you can easily see who killed you and who is hacking.

If you receive multiple reports regarding a hacker just killed me and notice someone kill 5-10 guys in a few minute span, BINGO. 

Without being able to see players names this is the most effective tool for stopping hackers on your private shard.  Otherwise how are you going to stop me from hacking on your shard?

The kill logs can be abused by admins, duh they can also ban everyone if they want too.  Defeats the point of spending 140$ a month though and have the server empty because of admin abuse.  There will be good servers, like USC, who will ban hackers via kill logs.  Fact is battleeye just isnt working at the moment due to the game in Alpha.  Admins need better tools to regular their servers.  This is just a suggestion.

The game is still only in Alpha.  The private shards are there right now for those who just have to have one I would assume.  I would not worry about private shards and their abilities until way into beta.  If they start releasing servers with all these abilities they want and its not smooth then they have to transfer resources from game developement to shard repair.  All in time, and if not in time then this is a game that you would probably not want to rent servers of.

Edited by huf757

The game is still only in Alpha.  The private shards are there right now for those who just have to have one I would assume.  I would not worry about private shards and their abilities until way into beta.  If they start releasing servers with all these abilities they want and its not smooth then they have to transfer resources from game developement to shard repair.  All in time, and if not in time then this is a game that you would probably not want to rent servers of.

Yes it is in Alpha, but this isnt a free Alpha.  The consumers are providing servers for testing and funds to keep the project moving along.  Private shards are extremely expensive and servers on public hive are just a joke.  I think the private shard is a step in the right direction and appreciate their efforts.  However, they are still holding alot of cards. 

• Like 2

Couldn't the kill logs also be abused by admins as well?

How can kill logs be abused?

How can kill logs be abused?

Clan member A: Hey clan server admin, some a-hole just killed me. Who was it?

Clan server admin: I dunno, lemme look.

Clan server admin: It was "EpicDingDongMan".

Clan member A: Kick his ass.

Clan server admin: Ok.

EpicDingDongMan has been kicked from the server.

Edited by Death By Crowbar
  • Like 1

As a Server-Admin of a Private Shard you have the ability to password / whitelist your server.

You will have to make your whitelisting-process better if you have hackers on your server instead of having to use kill logs.

• Like 1

You should have kill logs but not live kill logs. That way you can investigate complaints later rather than abuse them immediately. 

kill log is for no reason only pussy guys who are do QQ 'WHY IS HE SHOT MY FACE????' :o

'PLEASE ADMIN FRIEND BAN THIS PERSON WHAT KILL ME' >:(

Is no good sense reason for see kill log :huh:

only cheater admin and QQ baby is need this shit and nobody give shits what they want :D

• Like 1

kill log is for no reason only pussy guys who are do QQ 'WHY IS HE SHOT MY FACE????' :o

'PLEASE ADMIN FRIEND BAN THIS PERSON WHAT KILL ME' > :(

only cheater admin and QQ baby is need this shit and nobody give shits what they want :D

Yes and then no one plays on that server because admin abuse.  But servers that are administered properly will have higher population and make the $ spent on server worth while. 

• Like 1

I never had issues in the mod with admins that could access kill logs. If I killed an admin or their clan member and they kicked/banned me (I think it may have happened a few times at max over the course of my dayz life), I would just avoid their server like the plague and inform my friends of this shady activity as well. It was just one character I lost, I could care less. Rule #1, never get attached to your gear.

Problem is, sometimes the only preferred server at the time (Lingor, low ping, 1st person only) had badmins that would tele their friends around/spawn loot and such.

There always has to be one tool that ruins it for the rest of the community.

Edited by bonesnap
  • Like 1

My 2 cents....the kill logs are worthless.

All you could do is see who killed you...that doesn't give any evidence whatsoever on weather they were hacking or not. It just proves they killed you. Like others have said butthurt clan members would just kick the last guy to kill them and justify it with "must have been a hacker"

On the mod nearly every player screams hacker at some point. The private hive I used to help out with had more than enough of this. However 99% of the time the accusation was false. After checking the logs it was clear there were no hacks involved, much humble pie munching :)

As a Server-Admin of a Private Shard you have the ability to password / whitelist your server.

You will have to make your whitelisting-process better if you have hackers on your server instead of having to use kill logs.

So whitelists are a built in feature of private shards for SA?

If so that's brilliant....kudos devs :)

• Like 1

ow As a Server-Admin of a Private Shard you have the ability to password / whitelist your server.

Now it's the admins fault if there are hackers on the server? That's pretty cynical. 

EDIT:

From the Status Update 04 Aug: 

"Can: Define and enforce server gameplay rules (eg: DayZRP, PvE only, etc)"

How can admins be able to enforce PVE without kill logs?

Edited by Kassander
  • Like 1

'PLEASE ADMIN FRIEND BAN THIS PERSON WHAT KILL ME' > :(

I would play on servers with good admins, who didn't abuse their power.  I wouldn't play on ones that had abusive admins.  It would sort itself out real quick.

Edited by harteman
  • Like 1

Clan member A: Hey clan server admin, some a-hole just killed me. Who was it?

Clan server admin: I dunno, lemme look.

Clan server admin: It was "EpicDingDongMan".

Clan member A: Kick his ass.

Clan server admin: Ok.

EpicDingDongMan has been kicked from the server.

Then they'll have nobody playing on the server pretty quick.

• Like 3

Now it's the admins fault if there are hackers on the server? That's pretty cynical. 

You can chose who's playing on your server, which is the purpose of Private Shards. This is how big communities did it way back in the mod as well. There were no reliable tools back then either. The best way was to control who is joining your server with a sophisticated whitelisting-process.

Start searching for a solution on your own behalf first.

How can admins be able to enforce PVE without kill logs?

You shoot at your friend and nothing happens? That would be stupid.