tmbt

I hate bambi

Yesterday i was playing with  a friend.

We were running on the road along the coast right after Berezin when we saw a new spawn. We were decently geared up so we just told him to don't come too close and leave us alone.

Instead this guy star screaming and singing and trying to punch us. We warned him one more time then we shot him in the leg and left him there.

What is pissing me off is the fact that they can have this kind of behavior because there is not a "real" punishment for that. They dont' have nothing to lose and if they got killed they will respawn in 30 seconds

I hate them because they break the game immersion and i think they should be punished for that. For example if you die you've to wait 30 minutes instead of 30 seconds before respawn. With this method you could avoid people who suicide themselves to respanw near their favorite city and maybe stupid people will think twice before screaming in front of a guy with a gun.

As I said : I hate bambi

• Like 2

everyone including you was a "bambi" at some point... do you hate yourself ?. :)

tbh i hate "bambi" too the whole frankie bambi statement 

Edited by AmberHelios
  • Like 4

I guess those things happen if you roam the coast. I think everyone has had this experience at least once. But what was your problem with him? Ok, he was annoying, but you were decently geared. So you've basically got nothing to worry about. And in my opinion, crawling along the coast with broken legs and not being able to commit suicide easily is a good punishment. I liked that.

And remember: Not every freshspawn is a bambi.

Not everyone handles the apocalypse well... 

• Like 2

everyone including you was a "bambi" at some point... do you hate yourself ?. :)

frankie was the one who introduced this? because i was under the impression he used it in a rather derogative way. i'm shocked.

We were running on the road along the coast right after Berezin when we saw a new spawn. We were decently geared up so we just told him to don't come too close and leave us alone.

Instead this guy star screaming and singing and trying to punch us. We warned him one more time then we shot him in the leg and left him there.

What is pissing me off is the fact that they can have this kind of behavior because there is not a "real" punishment for that. They dont' have nothing to lose and if they got killed they will respawn in 30 seconds

I hate them because they break the game immersion and i think they should be punished for that. For example if you die you've to wait 30 minutes instead of 30 seconds before respawn. With this method you could avoid people who suicide themselves to respanw near their favorite city and maybe stupid people will think twice before screaming in front of a guy with a gun.

What do you expect? You were running along the coast, decently geared, and he had nothing-to-little to lose attacking you.

I like the "30 minute timeout on dying" idea. It adds a little bit of permanence and effect to death. That, or you get locked out of that specific server for 30 minutes. 

Hello there

I have to agree. I remember when we were nooblets and nooblings.

"bambi"? pah! Thats drunk girls in high heels. Not far from a zombie apocalypse but not Dayz.

New players though, well you get nice folk and others. Even I was "new" once. I think...

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Hello there

I have to agree. I remember when we were nooblets and nooblings.

"bambi"? pah! Thats drunk girls in high heels. Not far from a zombie apocalypse but not Dayz.

New players though, well you get nice folk and others. Even I was "new" once. I think...

Rgds

LoK

i thought it meant a shy girl on the outside thats fire underneath 

• Like 1

Shooting them in the legs and leaving them there is hilarious punishment and exactly the right thing to do. LOL

• Like 3

I love when you ignore them and they be like "M8 i'm fucking asking u, u got food?" then they try to beat you.

I saw this plenty of times and agree with you, it pisses me of you can knock someone out with couple of hits. For these tossers its all about quick gearing so they can go kill other players. Just do what ISS did and put a time out limit once you die

I dont think anyone gets OPs point...the point is that there should be some kind of punishment for careless behaviour like he described. The careless behaviour is completly opposite of what u would have seen in the real world. And it creates a silly form of gameplay when bambies have nothing to loose.

30 min cooldown would be a step in the right direction...if u ask me I would suggest a 15 min cooldown upon death for players that have started a new char, after 1 hour playtime the cooldown is removed. By one hour u probaly gathered some gear and started to care for ur life like u where supposed to do in the beginning.

Edited by svisketyggeren
  • Like 4

Your mistake was giving him a second warning. 

• Like 1

When they act like asses I like shooting them in the leg, bandaging them and leaving them in the middle of no where. Handcuffs are a +1. 

I dont think anyone gets OPs point...the point is that there should be some kind of punishment for careless behaviour like he described. The careless behaviour is completly opposite of what u would have seen in the real world. And it creates a silly form of gameplay when bambies have nothing to loose.

30 min cooldown would be a step in the right direction...if u ask me I would suggest a 15 min cooldown upon death for players that have started a new char, after 1 hour playtime the cooldown is removed. By one hour u probaly gathered some gear and started to care for ur life like u where supposed to do in the beginning.

How about the longer you keep your character alive the less of a timeout penalty

Sorry to be technical but he clearly said he hates them because they ruin immersion WHICH is acutally not a factor in Dayz standalone whatsoever.  People that play SA like to think there is a distinction in the game right now that makes you a "bandit" or a "hero"  because they have been trained by the mod that if they are forced to kill someone they lose some sort of "heroicness" when actually hero/bandit is more grey than it is black and white.  

What I would respond with is that this type of behavior doesn't actually affect immersion because the incident played out the way it should have.  An example of bambi's ruining "immersion" would be asking to get killed for a respawn, NOT trying to assault someone with more stuff than them.

Edit: I didn't mean you were wrong btw, I just wanted to clarify the problem the OP had so the proposed solutions could be more accurate.

Edited by Grundlesmuggler

How about the longer you keep your character alive the less of a timeout penalty

Yea...thats another way of doing it. I always feel my life starts to matter the second I get some important gear..a gun, binoculars, etc. But having someting like a 30 timeout penalty after ive been several hours on a char is a bit harsh.

Sorry to be technical but he clearly said he hates them because they ruin immersion WHICH is acutally not a factor in Dayz standalone whatsoever.  People that play SA like to think there is a distinction in the game right now that makes you a "bandit" or a "hero"  because they have been trained by the mod that if they are forced to kill someone they lose some sort of "heroicness" when actually hero/bandit is more grey than it is black and white.  

What I would respond with is that this type of behavior doesn't actually affect immersion because the incident played out the way it should have.  An example of bambi's ruining "immersion" would be asking to get killed for a respawn, NOT trying to assault someone with more stuff than them.

Edit: I didn't mean you were wrong btw, I just wanted to clarify the problem the OP had so the proposed solutions could be more accurate.

He says that too...but he also clearly says "What is pissing me off is the fact that they can have this kind of behavior because there is not a "real" punishment for that. They dont' have nothing to lose and if they got killed they will respawn in 30 seconds"...

..//..

..//..

Some people would be pretty crazy in an Apocalypse. Maybe his whole family and his pet dog just died horribly, and then all his friends were gunned down by geared up military strangers who also stole his clothes; and he meets you - a bunch of mean foreign hard-case dudes armed to the teeth, he know's hes going to die.. death will end his suffering mmaybe? Or he wants REVENGE on you bastards. That's immersion in the crazy hell of post-apoc central Europe for ya.. it's HELL in there - and whoever you meet = 50% are zombies and 30% are killers and 17% are mad and 3% hide out in the bushes and try to stay alive.

Man! It's wild and hairy. you know .. there are even fanatical christians and people who see ghosts, and military freaks who love to kill - just to watch the life leak out of the defenceles body (the only thing in those paramilitary cult heads is how many notches they have on their guns, dude.. incredible, aint it!). And then also the people who like to kill with spades and screwdrivers because they're crazy, starving and sadists too..but probably just because they like to push the screwdriver into someone's head .. and then we have the new cult religions, and also the really strange reporters from youtube (met them?) and probably CNN too, all of them clean out of their boxes..

BUT THAT'S  exactly the FUN of being a new spawn (you can be a new spawn and NOT a bambi, right? - like most new spawn)

You,.. suppose you're a poor newspawn -  you just lost all your heavy-heavy dude gear that you were so worried and stressed and serious about. You blew it and now you're in shock on the beach in your underwear... so .. what the hell.. ?

Unless you have a bunch of  geared up friends on chat, you stand a good chance of being killed between 1 and 15 times before you even find something to open a can of beanz with, or even to find a can of beans.. You die a lot.

So - You have FUN .. This is your chance. The probability is that the first thing after you spawn is, you die -  in one of 50 ways...SO you have nothing to loose except life, you can run unarmed into the middle of Berezino and hope you find a dead geared up dude to loot before you starve (for instance) if it don't work you die, and spawn again and try something different, maybe you'll meet a heroic medic player ?, Or maybe 5 pissed off zombies in the first house?  or you can read the bible to serious players until they go mad, or you can hold pagan sacrifices of goats.. you can do all the stuff that a guy with only one pair of shorts and two rags in the whole world can DO .. and do it in the middle of the apocalyptic death of the world too ! .. That's being a bambi. It's a very interesting part of the game.

Do you think maybe a Special Services wire garrote would be a good addtion to the game, together with Stealth  ?.. so a bambi could sneak up on a geared player and strangle him for his good loot before that player even knew he was dead? Or a bambi gang could run up and get 4 or 5 garottes round your neck before you could shoot more than 2 or them ? Or maybe we should just just have PLENTY of AXES and stacks of BIBLES on all the beaches for the newspawn - to give them a fair break in life ?

Or in DayZ do you prefer to always have the upper hand so you can always break their legs to punish them?

Why are you 'geared-up' dudes hanging around 'bambi' places anyway? Police patrol ? You like breaking bambi legs?  New spawn have nothing to loose, no gear, so they can do what they like. That's the fun of being a bambi and having a 10% chance of survival.. you can do anything..

Hey - try this - next time you meet a crazy newspawn, give them 2 cans of beans and a bottle of water, a can opener, an axe, a helmet, and an AK (with maybe only 50 rounds).. then give them a 1 minute start, and then you can all have a FAIR fight. Just drop that stuff right in the road for the new spawn and run off and hide (I mean - take up position). Fair play all round.

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

This reminds me recent thread, in which a new spawn asked politely to be given the mercy of suicide by survivor, so he can respawn in another location and got a dickish response.

Considering that most people shoot annoying assholes who attack them. I suppose the lesson here was that just like in real life, being a loud mouth jerk is sometimes preferable :/

Edited by Mor

Why shouldn't bambi's get to do that?

RETRIBUTION for all the KOS bullshit people do to bambi's on the coast.

Why the fuck should people get rewarded for killing bambi's by having them be forced to wait half an hour? That's a terrible idea it's not like every bambi does the same thing not to mention if you die under glitchy circumstances, glitched and flew in to the air falling to your death? Can't play for half an hour.

Plus I paid for this game it'd be kind of bullshit for other players to stop me being able to play it for such a long time.

3 minutes at best, 30 seconds is indeed short.

You know what's more annoying than bambi's who you can easily put down attacking you?

Getting put down by players you couldn't possibly defend yourself against for no reason.

Like bambi's are the problem in the game...

• Like 2

Why shouldn't bambi's get to do that?

RETRIBUTION for all the KOS bullshit people do to bambi's on the coast.

Because it silly unrealistic behaviour that no one would have done if they had been in the same situation in the real world.

And arguing that it is retribution for KOS behaviour isnt fair for those players that dosent KOS...

I would agree that bambies would be more sought after if they had a timeout penalty, and that could be a problem. It all depends on how much u want bambies to care about their lifes. 5 min timeout? 10? 20?

Dont think there is a clearcut answer to that. But a timeout penalty is a good idea if u ask me.

Edited by svisketyggeren

Because it silly unrealistic behaviour that no one would have done if they had been in the same situation in the real world.

And arguing that it is retribution for KOS behaviour isnt fair for those players that dosent KOS...

By that line of thinking, KoS is just as unrealistic.

Sociological and Psychological studies have proven that killing other humans has a SERIOUS effect on the human psyche (to the extent where we have words for those who aren't able to empathize with others, psychopath and sociopath), and that human beings are FAR more likely to band together in times of need than to randomly kill each other.

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 1

By that line of thinking, KoS is just as unrealistic.

Sociological and Psychological studies have proven that killing other humans has a SERIOUS effect on the human psyche (to the extent where we have words for those who aren't able to empathize with others, psychopath and sociopath), and that human beings are FAR more likely to band together in times of need than to randomly kill each other.

That may be true...but I dont think they are equally unrealistic. But I would agree that the amount of KoS in dayz probaly do not reflect how humans would behave in a apocalypse, that is..the amount of KoS incidents. The careless bambie behaviour I find even more unrealistic.

But then again we already have a dedicated thread for trying to solve the KoS problem.

Edited by svisketyggeren