Sign in to follow this  
nebelwerfer (DayZ)

Why the Standalone right now is boring and what needs to be fixed

So i played the standalone since release, and i also played the mod since early times.

Right now the SA is just boring, and i stoppped playing it like a month ago.

I actually stopped because of a reason that should be very concerning to the DEVs, and i didnt stop alone but all of my friends stopped as well.

The reason was : DAYZ SA right now is boring. its simply no fun.

There are 2 main reasons it is boring , and i will describe them plus i will give easy solutions.

1. Zombies are boring and overpowered  at the same time, despite being no real danger and more or less just annoying. While they detect players from hundreds of yards, they dont pose a threat since there are not enough on the map and they are easy to kill.
I remember the mod where it was actually possible to bypass zombies while sneaking/hiding or killing them with  a silenced gun. Despite their buggy behavior this was a ton more fun in the MOD than it is in the SA, because when you messed up, zombies in the mod stacked and just killed you in a mob.

SOLUTION: easy fix, turn down zombie detection, increase zombie numbers on server. if this fucks up server performance, it should be one of the topmost things on the fix list.

2. Loot distribution - right now there are atleast 5x more loot spots on the map, probably even more, compared to the mod. yet the game is boring as shit when it comes to loot as all you find is useless junk like gas stoves, and misc clothing items or incomplete guns ( finding 5 sporter rifles and ammo but not a single magazine while playing is not realistic but just boring ). right now you basically walk hours around and just collect garbage.

SOLUTION: easy fix as well, just change loot distribution. more guns, more useful stuff, more military gear.

to the people that will scream "but dayz is about being hardcore survival": i know it is, but its still a game, and games are supposed to be fun. they can be frustrating, i get it, but they SHOULD NOT be boring. players need rewards, and as far as i remember, finding military grade loot was one of the biggest motivators in the mod and every other zombie scenario i know, since it rewards players for exploring. Some people might add that giving players high grade guns makes it to easy, as they will start pvp because they dont know what to do ingame etc, but thats the point: right now , there is no other endgame content then pvp. i thought its what dayz is partly made for isnt it ? At least it was in the mod.

TLDR: the game so far is nothing more than a hiking simulator for "how do i hike around a big empty map with forests without freezing/hungering/thirsting to death", which is not really difficult since all you find is clothes or food and drinks. if i remember right, dayz was about zombies and survival and not about simulating a hike. DEVS, you must focus on getting the basics balanced  first, before you start playing around with cosmetic updates etc.

Edited by nebelwerfer
  • Like 2

DEVS, you must focus on getting the basics balanced  first, before you start playing around with cosmetic updates etc.

It is the other way around. First chip in all the content and then start fixing when everything's in already. This is how it works and this is how it was announced beforehand.

I suggest you read up on the hundreds of threads regarding this very subject around here.

I shall lock your thread now, as it appears you have not informed yourself about how the development cycle works and that your ideas aren't going to be working. Feel free to PM me if needed, I can go into more detail, but saying

Easy fix - just add more Zombies

does not qualify your feedback as constructive.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 9