Sign in to follow this  
harteman

Why all the judgement?

How about no?

Exactly the same as shooting rabbits, they don't know you're there is it still a fight?

If you don't know someone is there you're not against them in any way.

No matter how much you belittle people you can't make that be fact.

I'm not the one calling other people shitters and loser 12yr olds for playing the game how they choose, I have yet to belittle someone.

And the motives for shooting rabbits and virtual humans are different.

I shoot rabbits because they eat my garden and taste good in a stew.

I shoot virtual humans because its a sandbox PvP game and I can do whatever the hell I please to them.

Also, along this line of "If its not pistols and noon it isn't PvP" does that mean every instance in a video game where you're killed by someone you didn't realize was there doesn't count as PvP?

So if I go play BF3/COD/CSGO and get killed by someone I hadn't noticed its not PvP and they're a loser for not making me aware of their presence?

If I go play WoT/WT and a tank I hadn't spotted/noticed kills me, does that mean what happened wasn't just PvP?

Edited by Pandema
  • Like 3

The worst is the 1st person / 3rd person debate. 

No matter how much you tell people it doesn't matter since 1st person people play on 1st person servers and 3rd person people play on 3rd person servers they still scream and cry like children that its  hack of some sort to play 3rd person.

example: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/212347-1st-person-dying-breed/

Inclined to agree with the 1st personers until a new 3rd person camera is implemented that doesn't let players use 3rd person to peak over walls/around corners. But as you say, pointless, the 1st person problem is already solved, we [they] have our [their] own servers.

The only thing with what you said is the grenade throw

How exactly do they work?

I've found 3 so far and not a single one exploded when I threw it, I've found 1 flashbang and 2 explosive grenades, each time I pulled the pin and threw it and nothing happened, I can still see the grenade on the floor where it was thrown

So what did I do wrong?

I'm not the one calling other people shitters and loser 12yr olds for playing the game how they choose, I have yet to belittle someone.

And the motives for shooting rabbits and virtual humans are different.

I shoot rabbits because they eat my garden and taste good in a stew.

I shoot virtual humans because its a sandbox PvP game and I can do whatever the hell I please to them.

Also, along this line of "If its not pistols and noon it isn't PvP" does that mean every instance in a video game where you're killed by someone you didn't realize was there doesn't count as PvP?

So if I go play BF3/COD/CSGO and get killed by someone I hadn't noticed its not PvP and they're a loser for not making me aware of their presence?

If I go play WoT/WT and a tank I hadn't spotted/noticed kills me, does that mean what happened wasn't just PvP?

That's entirely different those games are completely PVP focused DayZ is not, you can PVP but it's not a matchmaking based deathmatch game where the mission for everyone is to kill everyone.

If someone isn't looking for a fight and gets sniper from miles away in somewhere innocent like any random town it's not PVP it's shooting fish in a barrel. If they seen you and tried to escape but you killed them, PVP. If they had no weapons at all and cowered in a corner while you came over to shoot them, PVP. If they didn't know you were there at all and wouldn't have noticed you on that kill 300m away it's KoS/camping.

You can hardly classify PVP in DayZ exactly the same as an FPS or any other game specifically made for people to fight each other and nothing else(minus occasional co-op)

That's entirely different those games are completely PVP focused DayZ is not, you can PVP but it's not a matchmaking based deathmatch game where the mission for everyone is to kill everyone.

If someone isn't looking for a fight and gets sniper from miles away in somewhere innocent like any random town it's not PVP it's shooting fish in a barrel. If they seen you and tried to escape but you killed them, PVP. If they had no weapons at all and cowered in a corner while you came over to shoot them, PVP. If they didn't know you were there at all and wouldn't have noticed you on that kill 300m away it's KoS/camping.

You can hardly classify PVP in DayZ exactly the same as an FPS or any other game specifically made for people to fight each other and nothing else(minus occasional co-op)

yeah, except there is no "somewhere innocent" in this game. it doesn't matter if someone is looking for a fight or not... everyone is fighting to survive.

as soon as you enter the sever you are entering a fight.

I'm not a big fan of sniping, or kos, but come on.. are you really gonna play the "if the other person doesn't see you it's not pvp" card? the whole point of sniping is to be hidden.

sniping and kos'ing fresh spawn is pretty low, no argument there. but just because a person has no intention of engaging anyone else while looting some far off little town, unaware or ignorant of their surroundings, does not excuse them from being a target.

Edited by SkyPig
  • Like 1

Beans for you, op.

People will judge you because I believe they have a wrong attitude towards PvP and getting killed. When somebody gets killed it causes frustration. Some can deal with it some can't. They will start blaming everyone and everything. First one to blame is the killer, then game mechanics (too many guns, no punishment for killing etc. etc.) but they never blame themselves and that's the real problem.

Why weren't you more carefull? why didn't you look around before entering the city? Why didn't you stick to some cover?

It's easier to say: I died because of evil player than admitting that you fcked up and made a stupid mistake.

• Like 2

This game is a sandbox, yes?  One where we can do pretty much whatever we want, right?  If that is the case, all styles of play within the rules of the game are valid.  If all styles of play the game allows are valid, why do people resort to calling others "bad" at the game for doing what they like to do?

I myself like PVP, it is the reason I play.  To me, it is my end-game. 

I don't think you could call this a sandbox game. You can't do anything you like. You are restricted to what you can do in the game. I can do anything I like in Battlefield if I want, except all the things I can't.

Minecraft is sandbox, you pretty much can do anything. DayZ is constrained to crafting a few items.

Now to the end game which is....survival! DayZ is a survival game right? So the objective is to survive. Whilst you might find it boring once you're geared up, what do you think you'd do in a real ZA? You would go through your daily routines of hunting, cleaning, maintenance, security, etc.

Right now all the features aren't in DayZ so we're all playing an incomplete game but you're still going to have chores to do. This is why they need to promote the "how many days you've survived" aspect of the game.

My idea of the final game will have you hunting, fishing and farming food. Canned food would be rare and you'd need to make sure you have plenty of medical supplies to fight off infections etc. You would need to boil water to sterilize it and have it stored, like food. Clothes would need to be repaired (though making clothes from skins would be cool). Would you find a fortified place to set up your base or would you stay mobile with a few tents? How will you secure your base? What will you do when other players are spotted ehading towards you? Death in a survival game is failure - how long can you keep going for?

• Like 1

That is the way of life unfortunately, no matter what you do - there is always someone who would do it differently.

Echoing many comments above, it's a sandbox game and people are welcome to act how they please within. Whether they choose to help everyone they see or shoot anything that moves - they are allowed to play as such.

In my opinion of these common arguments

KoS makes the game better

1st person is more immersive but 3rd person is still as enjoyable - one is not better than the other

If you manage to kill me, kudos to you - you have bested me. If I kill you, better luck next time

There are far fewer friendlies in this game, for that reason it makes finding one more interesting

Anyone out hunting bambis is teaching them valuable lessons - avoid being caught in the crosshair and be incredibly aware of your surroundings.

This game thrives on anarchy and the fact you can turn a corner and enter a number of different situations - how you choose to deal with it is up to you but please do not brand others for their decisions and playstyles and learn to dust off and get back in the thick of it all :)

• Like 3

Everywhere I look in these forums, there are people arguing about how this game should be played.

i have found communities of games that are still in development typically are very, very entitled. it's not hard to understand why the players are a bit more selfish or entitled than, say, a finished game that has no development or new features scheduled. everyone and their dog has an opinion of where they'd like to see the game direction go, and we see so much conflict due to people getting vehemently defensive at the notion that something in game may potentially be built in a way they don't agree with. I guess it seems like some kind of betrayal or proverbial robbery of their dream, like the whole game is being built for them and them alone.

so in a word, i would say, entitlement at an absurd level.

I try not to knock other peoples play styles. Theres no rules, no score card, no steam badges, no anything... So sucess in dayz is really what ever you think it is.

Dayz to ME is a survival game. I play to survive as long as posible and if I come close to death part of the challenge for me is to pull my avatar from certain death. I also enjoy pvp, but I prefer to win and don't play to die. I don't go into it thinking I'm going to die or someone is going to kill me at some point...its fail...some players say, "I don't mind dieing, lets got right in there". Then 5 minutes later there shot. That's a fail aditude and a resipe to get your self shot and have to respawn, then regear. When I pvp, my aditude is I'm going to make the other guy have to respawn, and I'm going to live. I play careful. That's just the way I play. It's one of the reasons I tend to play solo, becuase most don't play the way I do. Really most players never survive more then a few hours or a few days. I try to survive as long as posible. Thats fine what ever floats your boat. I go for longer periods. Quite a few time I kept and avatar alive for over a month, playing on low pop, meduim pop and high pops...dosn't really matter.

I learned to trust my own instincts 1st.

But I don't normally knock other players play styles, as long as they are having fun and not bitching. If your enjoying your self, regardless then thats good. Bitching about stuff thats really not bug related, turns me from a really excepting person, into a harsh cridict really fast. Some player play just for intant grad pvp, some play to survive, some play to troll people, some play to bandit, some play to hero and the list goes on. Theres even players who are complete hermits that play. I think thats what makes dayz is there really is no right way to play. This what makes dayz cool. Wether you sucessful or not is wether you satisfied when you play and are doing what you set out to do in game.

So I don't think we should be judging so much, unless it is really clear someone is doing something wrong. But for playing the game a certain way or having a certain play style, well it set up that way to have game play freedom. So why knock people for pushing the limits on the game engine. They are designing it to cator to game play styles.

Edited by CJFlint

I dunno, it's like the whole debate around combat logging.  I am fairly sure that all the bitching about combat logging is way over blown because if some one successfully evades during combat then it is likely that the evader is labeled a "combat logger" by the attacker.   Surely it can't be because the attacker sucks at tracking and/or shooting, it must have been a cowardly logger.

There comes a point where I have fully geared my character.  What do I do now?  I need for nothing, not ammo, armor, weapons, food...  What would you have me do now?  Sit and wait until I get thirsty or hungry?  Go hide in the woods, and wait?  For what though, I ask you.

Right now, in this moment in time within the games development, PVE is easy as can be.

This is really the problem right here... theres not enough to do... PvP or just striking up conversations is about all there is after a point. A player selecting one of the few things there is to do, isnt really the players fault, its just the condition of a game in Alpha. I hope when theres more to do PvE wise, that 95% of players wont be PvPing nonstop still... but maybe 20-30%, enough to keep us all on our toes. But thats my opinion/hopes on it.

Edited by umm_me

This is really the problem right here... theres not enough to do... PvP or just striking up conversations is about all there is after a point. A player selecting one of the few things there is to do, isnt really the players fault, its just the condition of a game in Alpha. I hope when theres more to do PvE wise, that 95% of players wont be PvPing nonstop still... but maybe 20-30%, enough to keep us all on our toes. But thats my opinion/hopes on it.

Honestly even if they make huge enhancements on the survival side, I won't care. Bought this game for the pvp part, and I`ll keep playing it for pvp. If I'll want to fish or make a campfire, I'll go outside.

yeah, except there is no "somewhere innocent" in this game. it doesn't matter if someone is looking for a fight or not... everyone is fighting to survive.

as soon as you enter the sever you are entering a fight.

I'm not a big fan of sniping, or kos, but come on.. are you really gonna play the "if the other person doesn't see you it's not pvp" card? the whole point of sniping is to be hidden.

sniping and kos'ing fresh spawn is pretty low, no argument there. but just because a person has no intention of engaging anyone else while looting some far off little town, unaware or ignorant of their surroundings, does not excuse them from being a target.

Yeah but the only reason people fight each other is out of boredom which is stupid.

"innocent" zones I was meaning as no designated battlefield like an airfield or Berenzino/any city if you go there and don't expect or aren't looking for a fight you're very very new.

There's no reason to shoot someone on sight anywhere other than those places and in cities still not really.

I mean...well done for killing bambi's? Lol

It does excuse them from being a target because they shouldn't be in the first place.

I love it so much when people try to justify KOS like if you see someone you have to shoot them or you'll die, it's retarded it's extremely easy to just avoid people why waste bullets when they're just trying to survive too?

Kill or be killed.  Killing being bad is relative.  It depends on circumstances, and in the apocalypse you will find your circumstances have changed drastically.  Me personally?  My goal is to stay alive for as long as possible.  In my 700 hours I learned that if you go talking to everyone you meet, you aren't going to live long at all. 

you can simply walk away, no need to jump them out of nowhere and shoot them.

it takes a lot more skill to hold someone up at gunpoint then to just shoot them outright,

i learned in dayz you should always give people a chance, there are some amazing people out there, and im the leader of a squad of about 10-12 guys who we meet over time, its much more rewarding, because in the long run your rewarded for talking to people, and you can punish them or reward them according to how they are. people have thanked me for robbing them, think about that , its kind of ironic.

• Like 1

Overtime as DayZ SA moves from alpha to beta, then release we will see players styles differ even more. There will be more mechanics put in, and more options. I expect player and play styles to become even more diverse. I expect we will see this more and more.

Right now the game still has a way to go.

• Like 2

Yeah but the only reason people fight each other is out of boredom which is stupid.

"innocent" zones I was meaning as no designated battlefield like an airfield or Berenzino/any city if you go there and don't expect or aren't looking for a fight you're very very new.

There's no reason to shoot someone on sight anywhere other than those places and in cities still not really.

I mean...well done for killing bambi's? Lol

It does excuse them from being a target because they shouldn't be in the first place.

I love it so much when people try to justify KOS like if you see someone you have to shoot them or you'll die, it's retarded it's extremely easy to just avoid people why waste bullets when they're just trying to survive too?

No one is innocent, everywhere you go you have the potential to take something someone needs or wants.

"Bambi's" make great target practice because they tend to keep running

Its entirely possible that if you don't pull the trigger on that guy in the town, he'll blow your brains out at the first possible chance.

Also, why would one conserve ammo? Its not like its hard to find right now. I haven't set foot in a civilized area(barring castles) in close to two monthes now. I still have more 7.62x39 than I will ever conceivably need, and thats after hunting, killing zeds, and murdering passersby.

EDIT: 666 get

Edited by Pandema

No one is innocent, everywhere you go you have the potential to take something someone needs or wants.

"Bambi's" make great target practice because they tend to keep running

Its entirely possible that if you don't pull the trigger on that guy in the town, he'll blow your brains out at the first possible chance.

Also, why would one conserve ammo? Its not like its hard to find right now. I haven't set foot in a civilized area(barring castles) in close to two monthes now. I still have more 7.62x39 than I will ever conceivably need, and thats after hunting, killing zeds, and murdering passersby.

EDIT: 666 get

No that's just a poor excuse...

How does that make nobody innocent? That makes no sense. We're not all out to just kill everyone and nobody "needs" all the items in the game especially not since stuff respawns now so there's even less of a bullshit logic behind they might have what I need.

I mean what logic is that anyway? If you shoot them, you're probably breaking what you need. It's clearly just a shield people use because they can't admit they're playing a different game from everyone else.

No that's just a poor excuse...

How does that make nobody innocent? That makes no sense. We're not all out to just kill everyone and nobody "needs" all the items in the game especially not since stuff respawns now so there's even less of a bullshit logic behind they might have what I need.

I mean what logic is that anyway? If you shoot them, you're probably breaking what you need. It's clearly just a shield people use because they can't admit they're playing a different game from everyone else.

A lot of guys aim for the head.  I try as well.  Wouldn't be a good killer if everytime I killed I ruined everything on the person.  It is why I still prefer an AK and a PSO-1 over a shotgun, OP as they are.

you can simply walk away, no need to jump them out of nowhere and shoot them.

it takes a lot more skill to hold someone up at gunpoint then to just shoot them outright,

i learned in dayz you should always give people a chance, there are some amazing people out there, and im the leader of a squad of about 10-12 guys who we meet over time, its much more rewarding, because in the long run your rewarded for talking to people, and you can punish them or reward them according to how they are. people have thanked me for robbing them, think about that , its kind of ironic.

See, I view that as foolhardy, myself.

I assume people are with friends at all times.  I have to prepare for that, because sometimes it is true.  I'll be sniped or snuck while my hands a full with holding up someone.  It happens.  Hell, fresh spawns are used as LURES by the smarter groups out there.

Safety first, always, where survival matters.

A lot of guys aim for the head.  I try as well.  Wouldn't be a good killer if everytime I killed I ruined everything on the person.  It is why I still prefer an AK and a PSO-1 over a shotgun, OP as they are.

Shotguns are OP in real life too ;)

Shotguns are OP in real life too ;)

I'm a shotgun guy myself, and yeah I actually like where the shotguns are right now.  Except the whole ruining of gear that likes to come with it.  Once the pump action hits stable though, I am likely going to have a new fav...

Honestly even if they make huge enhancements on the survival side, I won't care. Bought this game for the pvp part, and I`ll keep playing it for pvp. If I'll want to fish or make a campfire, I'll go outside.

I understand some want this game only for pvp. Why? I have no idea, its pretty bad for just that, atleast so far. I hope PvP onlys will be a minority. Regardless of whether theres some players who PvP all the time, or all players PvP some of the time... we do need that PvP element. Its the possibility that this person you are talking to, or that suddenly is around a corner, could be friend or foe that makes the tension that makes this game interesting.

• Like 1

I understand some want this game only for pvp. Why? I have no idea, its pretty bad for just that, atleast so far. I hope PvP onlys will be a minority. Regardless of whether theres some players who PvP all the time, or all players PvP some of the time... we do need that PvP element. Its the possibility that this person you are talking to, or that suddenly is around a corner, could be friend or foe that makes the tension that makes this game interesting.

Why?  Human hunting simulator, for a start.  The PVP in this game is more intense than anything else I have ever tried.  That makes it interesting, too.  For me.

Edited by harteman
  • Like 3