harteman

Players start with a map

I don't think we should start with a map, but I do think we should be able to walk into any gas station or grocery store and find one.

hunting down the pieces for the jigsaw map was fun, once.

Gaze upon me you fucking filthy casual! (jks, but seriously have a gaze)

Why use the ingame map?

-Immersion

That might be the most overused word on this forum. 

Immersion can give me a wet bj and swallow. 

Multi monitor master race will not put their lives in danger for some "immersion".

And that's on top that I haven't needed the map for direction for a long time. 

Edited by General Zod

Yeah I am sorry.  Everyone I know at least uses a map.  I, personally, use my phone.  What I mean is everyone uses a map, due to the fact we all must have an internet connection to play.

You, uh, do use a map when you play, right?

I would be glad for someone to speak up and say they don't, if only so that I can gaze upon them.  

Since I am here again, is there anyone out there who either only uses the in-game pieces of map, or does not use maps at all, ever?  If so, how do you know where you are going?  Also, if you don't use an online or offline map, how many hours have you played this game so far?  Have you ever used said types of maps?  Share your words.

Yup, i don''t use maps except the ones i find and combine. Sometimes it's a little bit complicated to figure out where i exactly am, but once i found some houses, crossways or landscape markers, i know where i am. combined with a compass, there are absolutely no problems. The only time i have used the online map was recently, when i was offgame and i wanted to know where novo and severo are located :)

And for the record, I have 700hours playtime in the last 3 months.  I still use a map because when I navigate, I want to spare time from things like me being lost.  It costs me, it costs my friends.  I don't want to waste my play time, or others.  I could nav anywhere on the map, without a map, but I still use a map because my time and my friends time is valuable.

you have my beans. 700 hours in 90 days? this comes close to unpaid labour XD.

Multi monitor master race will not put their lives in danger for some "immersion".

Shift tab or alt tab and the fourth wall crumbles down. Kills the good vibes and there are so many good vibes I want to keep up.

It's not about direction per se for me either, it's about contours. You might know 'the way' but you can never commit the contours for the whole map to memory.

Edited by Trizzo

Think about it.  We all have an internet connection.  We all use it to look at a map when we play the game.  

Wut?

U look at the map cos u cant figure out direction...I on the other hand am a man and dont need a map to find my direction, and certainly never used no internet map.

Dont question the tradition set by the elders....players start with a fleshlight and a battery for their pleasure.

Edited by svisketyggeren
  • Like 1

Shift tab or alt tab and the fourth wall crumbles down. Kills the good vibes and there are so many good vibes I want to keep up.

It's not about direction per se for me either, it's about contours. You might know 'the way' but you can never commit the contours for the whole map to memory.

With two monitor I don't need to alt tab. I can have both the game and the map open. Nor I do I need all the details. If I know the direction I'll make it work. 

Damn if people rely on 3rd party maps so much then they need some orientation lessons. The igame map as it it can...

Give you accurate distance to target when sniping

Can give you accurate distance to target when traveling

Can tell you exactly where you are (using town names or terrain formations)

3rd party maps are for the lazy who don't give a crap about immersion. Man up punks and survive with the tools provided....not the paint by numbers child versions online...pff...this makes me wish they would randomise the map somehow each week making online maps useless

Damn if people rely on 3rd party maps so much then they need some orientation lessons. The igame map as it it can...

Give you accurate distance to target when sniping

Can give you accurate distance to target when traveling

Can tell you exactly where you are (using town names or terrain formations)

3rd party maps are for the lazy who don't give a crap about immersion. Man up punks and survive with the tools provided....not the paint by numbers child versions online...pff...this makes me wish they would randomise the map somehow each week making online maps useless

You need to take it into your hands thus not paying attention to surroundings and disarming yourself.

There are 8 pieces of it. Thats right 8! Ridiculous for the area this size. And it's not like online map can't do all the thins listed above

Also you can stick your immersion. And you can stick your "tools provided" and all your silly "man up punks" cause it's all a dirty lie. 

Edited by General Zod

You need to take it into your hands thus not paying attention to surroundings and disarming yourself.

There are 8 pieces of it. Thats right 8! Ridiculous for the area this size. And it's not like online map can't do all the thins listed above

Also you can stick your immersion. And you can stick your "tools provided" and all your silly "man up punks" cause it's all a dirty lie. 

So ya mean just like IRL using you map means you have to have a limited ability in other areas. All this from someone who screamed immersion and realism over the 3pp debate...

Lets take a look at your post a couple back because it illustrates the type of player you are...

1. You can have that

2. Irrelivent to this game.....when they are making bj sim 2016 then that applies. We want immersion on the things that apply to this game...orienteering is a big part of a survival skill set.....receiving head is not. Nice try on the deflect.

3. This is you in a nutshell.....don't want put myself in danger....I find it funny that you used realism and immersion to back your 3pp stance...then have a second monitor open with a 3rd party map...LOL. This exposes a pretty carebear attitude IMO

4. So you flipped to the back of the book and got the answers (3rd party map), now you don't need to read the book (in game map)....the phrase "hollow achievement" pops to mind :P

You make stupid arguments then make the opposite argument in another thread.....quite ammusing

• Like 2

Since I am here again, is there anyone out there who either only uses the in-game pieces of map, or does not use maps at all, ever?  If so, how do you know where you are going?  Also, if you don't use an online or offline map, how many hours have you played this game so far?  Have you ever used said types of maps?  Share your words.

that would be me, in game map only

i know where im going because i have played the game before

i dont know how many hours i have

yes i have used dayzdb when i started the mod more than a year ago

but i havent used that in a long time

so fuck off with your free map and rangefinder i dont want or need it

@Karmaterror

I think you mistake me for someone who actually cares about what others think, or about "immersion" or just about anything. I have two monitors, I can have map open without any type of disadvantage. Rest is not of my concern.  

So ya mean just like IRL using you map means you have to have a limited ability in other areas. All this from someone who screamed immersion and realism over the 3pp debate...

Lets take a look at your post a couple back because it illustrates the type of player you are...

1. You can have that

2. Irrelivent to this game.....when they are making bj sim 2016 then that applies. We want immersion on the things that apply to this game...orienteering is a big part of a survival skill set.....receiving head is not. Nice try on the deflect.

3. This is you in a nutshell.....don't want put myself in danger....I find it funny that you used realism and immersion to back your 3pp stance...then have a second monitor open with a 3rd party map...LOL. This exposes a pretty carebear attitude IMO

4. So you flipped to the back of the book and got the answers (3rd party map), now you don't need to read the book (in game map)....the phrase "hollow achievement" pops to mind :P

You make stupid arguments then make the opposite argument in another thread.....quite ammusing

Way to try attacking people.  You fit in well on this forum.

Way to try attacking people.  You fit in well on this forum.

Did you read the post where he says stick this and stick that its all a dirty lie?

If he wants set that tone then il happily oblige with a back hand of truth ;)

But then again....this...

@Karmaterror

I think you mistake me for someone who actually cares about what others think, or about "immersion" or just about anything. I have two monitors, I can have map open without any type of disadvantage. Rest is not of my concern.  

Says it all ;)

Think about it.  We all have an internet connection.  We all use it to look at a map when we play the game.  I personally use my phone.  I can use it to set waypoints and accurately gauge distance.  I can even join a group, then update my position, and read others positions on the map that are in my group.  Every single player has this capability in some shape or form.  In game however, we have to find pieces of a map.  Nobody does this.  

This isn't about realism, this is about being real.  There is absolutely no good reason to not have a map in-game that rivals what we can look at by using an alt-tab.

Also, what is the point of a range finder, when everyone has the ability to set waypoints on a map between two known locations?  Everyone should start with a range finder.  It should be their map.  A map just like the ones we see online.

Yeah I find myself using my iPod to navigate if needed I mostly know where to go once I get to certain places now but the in game map is basically useless.

I don't see how a map being in 8 pieces all the time is all that realistic...fucking why? Do the zombies hate maps? How does that even happen if not? It's stupid.

Either players should start with a map or they shouldn't be ripped up in the first place, I'm not collecting all 8 pieces to know where I'm going I might never find them all it's a huge waste of time.

I can see the appeal for others to not using an app or whatever and collecting the map but it's a tedious and pointless task that need not be in the game really.

They can easily replace torches which are also fairly useless unless you spawn in a map at night, otherwise if you don't live long enough to find another light source or build a fire you're either very unlucky or shit. The battery is the only decent thing out of the two and even then barely.

Reading a map is more than just reading road signs. It´s by design that you feel lost in the world of Chernarus. Rocket mentioned it a while back in the days of the mod as a key element to the survival concept of dayz and that he wanted to even get rid of the little info you got after spawning in game telling you the name of the nearest city/town. And booom, the standalone doesn´t feature any indicators of your location whatsoever.

It´s not a mistake the devs made or something they forgot to implement, they did it on purpose. They even named reading a map off of certain landmarks to find your location as a reference on how skills in game should work. (yes, the current map centering on your location has to go and it propably will). It´s you who should do the surviving not your avatar after you ordered it by pressing a button. That´s where the devs come from and that´s obviously (and in my case hopefully!) where the game is trying to head.

Nope this is ridiculous. I know how to read a map, it's not an issue for me but deliberately using a different language to confuse players is beyond moronic and pointless anyway since all the web maps have both names.

It's you not your avatar - what does that even mean? That by surviving we change the entire language of every map sold in that country? Do you even realize how fucking stupid that is? lol

I am going to throw in my 'NO' vote for starting with a map. Just because players choose to use websites or phone apps outside the game to look at a map, it does not mean that the devs should say 'oh, screw it' and give the players a full map in the game.

It also does not make sense that every survivor would be walking around with a map in their back pocket. Heck, I think it's silly that every new spawn currently begins with a flashlight. If anything, I would love to see a new spawn begin with one or two basic random items, including the possibility of a basic melee weapon such as a baseball bat, splitting axe, kitchen knife, or hoe.