SMoss

Status Report - Week of 13 Oct 14

I'm very excited to see what kind of things that could lead to for current and future weapons.

Yeah, it's just sad that we didn't get this level of detail with the M4/AR-15 series (not saying it can't change.)

But it would've been awesome to be able to swap between 10.5', 11.5', 14.5', 16', and 20' barrels on the M4 in order to change the accuracy but at the same time profile. The M4 definitely needs a wider range of optics, a foregrip, some laser sights, and possibly an M203 to go along with the rest.

How about making silencers actually work and have them for more guns while you're at it  :)

I'm all in favor of the "Suppressor 5.56" working on the AUG. There's no real reason why it wouldn't.

• Like 1

the m4 has more attachement than any other weapons and actuals options are fine to me (we don't need 15 differents handguards). Its already difficult to find an m4, if you add barrels, more optics, more handles etc... finding the perfect m4 is gonna be an endless search. i'd rather have more option for other weapons such as the blaze 95 and CZ527 to make them attractives.

i hope that someday dev brings differents ammunitions to the game, hollow point bullets, +P cartridges and please, bring back 12 gauge slug to turn the MP133 into a beast.

• Like 1

Not sure about the AK-74. I'm not against its implementation as I think the more weapon variation the better, but doesn't it look virtually identical to an AKM especially since it'll have wooden parts? Feels like it'd make more sense to have all the rails and stuff and have it made out of whatever modern guns are made out of.

That image is such an idealisation of dayz, literally Nobody in game runs about in a 2 slot shirt and pair of jeans with a high end weapon. It's always the same mash up of green raincoat/ttsko/gorka and either an MTN backpack or hunting backpack, I'd love to see some sort of incentives to travelling light like the lad with the AK in the pic.

lol only noobs are using mountain backpack, esp the red one. If you want to be target practice you wear a mtn backpack. The slots isn't even necessary. Why? Because food and drinks are easy to find. No need to stack too much ammo either, you will get killed before you manage to use it anyway. But seriously they should add weight to this game...
  • Like 1

That image is such an idealisation of dayz, literally Nobody in game runs about in a 2 slot shirt and pair of jeans with a high end weapon. It's always the same mash up of green raincoat/ttsko/gorka and either an MTN backpack or hunting backpack, I'd love to see some sort of incentives to travelling light like the lad with the AK in the pic.

Catch me rocking a white check shirt all day! Kaki vest and a baseball cap and BOOM! closest thing to the "Hero" skin from the mod you can get.

Sure everyone runs around in full camo, but it's all about each persons playstyle. Personally I love the courier bag over all else. You only carry the bare minimum, food, ammo, 2 bandages but you don't need anything else at this stage of development.

Yeah, it's just sad that we didn't get this level of detail with the M4/AR-15 series (not saying it can't change.)

But it would've been awesome to be able to swap between 10.5', 11.5', 14.5', 16', and 20' barrels on the M4 in order to change the accuracy but at the same time profile. The M4 definitely needs a wider range of optics, a foregrip, some laser sights, and possibly an M203 to go along with the rest.

I'm all in favor of the "Suppressor 5.56" working on the AUG. There's no real reason why it wouldn't.

.... ...... .................. Really? ........... Really? ........... Wow........ wait, really? You're gonna get so nitpicky about having tactical, super-duper, fancy fuck, modded to shit guns..?   IN THE APOCALYPSE?! I could understand this type of customization in say.... Call of Duty, or Battlefield, or any modern FPS where the character you play as has 100% unlimited access to gun mods, but THIS is RURAL post-apocalyptic eatern Europe. I think the way to go is a universal weapon mod system, not item specific like you want for your precious M4.

Wider range of optics would be nice, but available to all guns using a universal mounting system. Laser sights are good if you cant aim and want to be seen pointing your gun at stuff, good idea if universal, shit idea if only for m4. Foregrip, ok, that's a good idea. Grenade launcher? Make it rare as hell, like more rare than a Unicorn that shits gold. Reasons why the 5.56 suppressor might not work on the AUG are 1: Different barrel connection types, 2:AUG is chambered in 9mm, not 5.56. Not all barrels accept supressors, so having supressor ready barrels on all guns in game makes no logical sense.

Sorry if you feel as if I'm picking on you, but it seems to me like you're not reading your comments before you post them, or that you think this game is something other than DayZ.

Edited by Rcharlie

I think the way to go is a universal weapon mod system, not item specific like you want for your precious M4.

Reasons why the 5.56 suppressor might not work on the AUG are 1: Different barrel connection types, 2:AUG is chambered in 9mm, not 5.56. Not all barrels accept supressors, so having supressor ready barrels on all guns in game makes no logical sense.

???

but it seems to me like you're not reading your comments before you post them...

Reasons why the 5.56 suppressor might not work on the AUG are 1: Different barrel connection types, 2:AUG is chambered in 9mm, not 5.56. Not all barrels accept supressors, so having supressor ready barrels on all guns in game makes no logical sense.

almost all AUGs used in the world are chambered in 5.56. 9mm version indeed exist, but is barely used.

ok with you for the barrels through ;)

i will actually run with civilian gear. green checkered shirt, currior bag, chest holster, magnum, b95 and black cargos. decent camo, and the guy that kills me gets less stuff than if i had been running with say a hunting backpack. that is more than enough incentive for me.

lol only noobs are using mountain backpack, esp the red one. If you want to be target practice you wear a mtn backpack. The slots isn't even necessary. Why? Because food and drinks are easy to find. No need to stack too much ammo either, you will get killed before you manage to use it anyway. But seriously they should add weight to this game...

all of my yes, I can't wait until they add weight and fatigue, queue players with mountain packs stashed full of full ammo cans collapsing on session join.

Servers that aren't connected to the main hive, but runs on a separate database.

Hosters are allowed to set rules for these, password them and run a whitelist.

Artificial Intelligence.

devblog says private shards of the centralhive

that means that they will be private servers running on the same hive no?

If I remember correctly the M4 was their testbed for weapon attachments, just because its so easy to stick things on. In the same way the attachment systems have gone to other weapons I could see the AUG being another testbed for the expanded parts modularity, and that being added to other weapons.

Personally I'd love to see a civilian semi auto AR15 that would be a little more common. All of the M4 stuff would work on it, including potential modular barrel lengths and such.

the m4 has more attachement than any other weapons and actuals options are fine to me (we don't need 15 differents handguards). Its already difficult to find an m4, if you add barrels, more optics, more handles etc... finding the perfect m4 is gonna be an endless search. i'd rather have more option for other weapons such as the blaze 95 and CZ527 to make them attractives.

See above. Besides, why is spending time gathering parts in the apocalypse such a negative? That's one of the most rewarding parts for me.

Not sure about the AK-74. I'm not against its implementation as I think the more weapon variation the better, but doesn't it look virtually identical to an AKM especially since it'll have wooden parts? Feels like it'd make more sense to have all the rails and stuff and have it made out of whatever modern guns are made out of.

Not quite, the AK101 is the export variant of the AK74. So basically it'll look kind of like the AK101 with the wooden furniture on it, though the furniture is not the same design on the 74. The AK74 is also chambered in a different cartridge, the 5.45 instead of the 5.56.

Ak74l.jpg

I think the way to go is a universal weapon mod system, not item specific like you want for your precious M4.

Wider range of optics would be nice, but available to all guns using a universal mounting system. Laser sights are good if you cant aim and want to be seen pointing your gun at stuff, good idea if universal, shit idea if only for m4. Foregrip, ok, that's a good idea. Grenade launcher? Make it rare as hell, like more rare than a Unicorn that shits gold. Reasons why the 5.56 suppressor might not work on the AUG are 1: Different barrel connection types, 2:AUG is chambered in 9mm, not 5.56. Not all barrels accept supressors, so having supressor ready barrels on all guns in game makes no logical sense.

Care to explain what you mean by this universal mounting system? Are you saying they should only add attachments that can fit on everything or that everything should fit on every gun regardless of its actual mounting system? (i.e. The hunting scope mounts on the top of a blaze won't accept an ACOG, so what are you suggesting they do with it?)

There are already pictures of the GP grenades and launcher for the AK pattern rifles.

Not all supressors are going to work on all barrels, you are correct. This is again where I ask about your universal mounting system because you seem to be poking holes in that idea yourself.

Also no the Steyr AUG is most commonly chambered in 5.56 when it was designed in the late 70's. The 9mm AUG Para variant you are referring to didn't come into production until 1988, and even then they still continued to produce 5.56 variants. Not sure where your research came from on that one.

Edited by Hells High

Catch me rocking a white check shirt all day! Kaki vest and a baseball cap and BOOM! closest thing to the "Hero" skin from the mod you can get.

Sure everyone runs around in full camo, but it's all about each persons playstyle. Personally I love the courier bag over all else. You only carry the bare minimum, food, ammo, 2 bandages but you don't need anything else at this stage of development.

.... ...... .................. Really? ........... Really? ........... Wow........ wait, really? You're gonna get so nitpicky about having tactical, super-duper, fancy fuck, modded to shit guns..?   IN THE APOCALYPSE?! I could understand this type of customization in say.... Call of Duty, or Battlefield, or any modern FPS where the character you play as has 100% unlimited access to gun mods, but THIS is RURAL post-apocalyptic eatern Europe. I think the way to go is a universal weapon mod system, not item specific like you want for your precious M4.

Sorry if you feel as if I'm picking on you, but it seems to me like you're not reading your comments before you post them, or that you think this game is something other than DayZ.

I was just pointing out that they could've done far more with available guns like the M4A1 than they have. I never once stated that they shouldn't expand on other aspects or make universal attachments.

The only optic I feel that's absolutely necessary would be some sort of CQB sight, like an Eotech, though others are welcome. However, yes, any gun with a 20mm rail system or mountable attachment should take them, just as the MP5K and M4A1 do now.

Laser sights, while useful for helping you aim, are primarily intended to help mark targets, a use which would be no different in DayZ. In instances where the crosshair is gone, however, the dot could be more helpful than you give it credit for (not to mention you have to be pretty stupid to use a laser in an instance in which people could easily spot it) Like the flashlight, I'd assume you could attach it to the RIS of any available gun, I don't know why it would be M4 specific.

People extremely overestimate the value of grenade launchers (and explosives in general), however powerful of an asset they are. Granted, I don't want it to be common, but an M203 shouldn't be so rare you never see one.

The AUG is a 5.56x45mm weapon. Yes, there are 9x19mm and 7.62x51mm conversions (among others), but I'm assuming that because they've talked about adding the HBAR variant, and simply because it's the most common form, the one we'll be getting is the 5.56x45mm version. Steyr AUG rifles do have threaded barrels and are capable of accepting suppressors. The threads are slightly different to the AR-15's, but the difference is so minor that making a specific suppressor for each is pointless.

Though very few guns actually have suppressors right now - the M4A1, FNX45, and CR75 are the only ones that can use them, so I don't get where you thought I was trying to say that every weapon in the game should have suppressors.

And yes, I'm quite well aware of what DayZ is. I was simply pointing out that because they've considered going into depth with the AUG's modularity, rather than making them all separate variants, they could've done so with the M4A1 as well, which is part of another highly modular and universal rifle series. I'd reckon it's far easier to swap out a barrel on an M4A1 than it is to reconfigure an entire AUG, so if they're considering allowing that then I fail to see what's wrong with doing it to another weapon. Yes, they could still just make a MK18 and M16A4 and add them as separate rifles, I never said they shouldn't.

A couple of versions ago hyperthermia was a serious problem and you DID have to travel very lightly. People complained, so it went back to more moderate conditions for the time being. In 0.50 Experimental, it's the exact opposite: keeping warm is more difficult. In the first build of 0.50 we saw (125144), it was November and it was incredibly difficult to stay warm without stopping to light a fire once in a while.

• Like 2

Hmmm I wonder when the next status report will come ? I can't wait for those paragraphs of joy and excitement :) gimme moar content plox !

wowww , new spawn with that gun !!!  :thumbsup: , should be fully geard in the pic' m8  :rolleyes:

Duct tape...

maybe if you wrap the whole head.. Edited by Zeppa
  • Like 3

Duct tape...

maybe if you wrap the whole head..

Some tape under the chin also and it wouldn't be easy