SNPxASSASSIN

Removal of the gamma setting

We all know that when it's nightime we turn our gamma up and then we magically have nightvision. If you say you don't do that your most likely lying lol. The fact is it ruins the immersion of the night when you have nightvision at the ready whenever it's needed, I would use the many lightsources found in game but whats the point? It just makes me a HUGE target for other players who just turn their gamma up. Now i'm not saying there shouldn't be a method of night vision in the game, however I am saying that you should have to find a set of nightvision goggles before you have nightvision. To the people that are about to post some excuse about how their monitor won't display right unless the gamma is absolutely maxed then that's just a straight up lie and we both know it. Honestly, this fix would take maybe 20 minutes to do and then the game would be so much more immersive.

• Like 3

I actually spent a long time in the game without even realizing the gamma setting was there. It would infuriate me that I would log onto a night server, see a bright full moon in the sky and yet everything would be pitch black. That didn't stop me from doing things at night, but it did frustrate me to no end. Moonless sky = really dark. Moon filled sky=gray scale. Maybe it is just that my night vision in the real world is better than average, but it never made sense to me that it was eternal darkness regardless of moon phase.

It wasn't until I had almost 200 hours in that someone mentioned there was a gamma setting and I could finally adjust the screen to match the moon phases. For me, I love immersion, so being able to adjust gamma to suit the level of ambient light has been a real pleasure. Of course, I figure most people just crank it up full blast and don't worry about it at all, so I do understand your point. It's worth noting though, that anyone who says 'everyone does x and anyone who says otherwise is lying' are generally incapable of accepting that the rest of the world may not always think exactly as they do. Seems to be a lot of that thinking on this forum. "everyone KoSs", "Everyone raises gamma", "Everyone steals from babies", or whatever other thing it is they feel is a perpetual problem that they themselves also do. Want to change the world? Start being the change.

Turn your gamma off and deal with it. "Oh, but they have theirs up and it isn't fair!". Yep. Welcome to life. That guy who gets promoted because he fucked the bosses daughter isn't fair either, but it's going to happen. Be the better person and learn to improve your own skills by working at fighting the uphill battle. Stop trying to regulate other people on how they are doing their own game. Also, for the record, If it is daylight RL and night on the game, low gamma settings could almost make the game unplayable regardless. God knows I have to turn settings like that up on my TV when playing a dark game in the daylight.

• Like 3

As much as i understand why you'd want that, gamma settings exist for a reason: Displays NEED some calibration to render the environment properly, especially in games that make darkness important.

One way to solve this tho is to make nights a more contrasted experience ex:

->Gamma too low you won't see where you are going most of the time.

->Gamma set too high you won't be able to see anything as soon as someone slap a flashlight in your face (for example?)

Just make it impractical to be at high gamma at night and people will stop doing it.

Protip: DayZ's darkness is about 193% darker than IRL darkness. At least that's what it seems like. It's much darker than it would normally be, and I'd know. Going camping in the middle of the woods of fucking Texas, where there's no light radiation at all really shows darkness.

Protip: DayZ's darkness is about 193% darker than IRL darkness. At least that's what it seems like. It's much darker than it would normally be, and I'd know. Going camping in the middle of the woods of fucking Texas, where there's no light radiation at all really shows darkness.

Does it matter tho? Never heard about artistic license?

As a game designer, If you come telling me the night in my game is too dark while i think it's just fine there is a few possibilities:

1. All the displays used by my dev team are uncalibrated garbage (you gotta admit that's probably not the case).
  2. Your display is not properly calibrated.
  3. My nights are actually dark (but that's what i actually decided so it doesn't matter).
  4. We have a different opinion on how nights should look like (but it's my call in the end so it doesn't matter either).
  • Like 2

Look I understand the point of "I raise my gamma setting because the nights are pitch black" and I do agree, they are, and I do believe that there should be a bit of moonlight in the sky or maybe they should make the gamma adjuster not be able to go as high? Either way I just believe it ruins the immersion of DayZ and leviath, it's not that I don't get that some things just aren't fair but the fact that you can give yourself nv with the click of a button would basically be the same as me spawning in some nv's with hacks on the mod. I don't intend to put myself at a huge disadvantage just because people adjust thier gamma as they please. And you can easily calibrate your screen on your gfx control panel and adjust the brightness, gamma, etc.

As a game designer, If you come telling me the night in my game is too dark while i think it's just fine there is a few possibilities:

1. All the displays used by my dev team are uncalibrated garbage (you gotta admit that's probably not the case).
  3. My nights are actually dark (but that's what i actually decided so it doesn't matter).
  4. We have a different opinion on how nights should look like (but it's my call in the end so it doesn't matter either).

Agreed, Also the Fact that irl Each Individual Actually See's Night Differently We arent all the Same as Far as How Dark Nights are to our Eyes ^_^

---------------------------------------

To Suggestion Creator:

Lol i Dont Cheat and Turn up my Gama Cause its Stupid to me And I Want my Nights Dark so i Need a Flashlight xD

Wouldnt Mind if Others Would Be Less "Cheaty" Just to Kill though it is Very Annoying

But I Also Dont Go Looking For Fights at night Either Am Not a KOS Player and I Usualy Avvoid Populated Area's at Night

Edited by NokyoOkami

Removing the option to adjust the gamma will not prevent someone from doing the same via their driver software.

• Like 1

Removing the option to adjust the gamma will not prevent someone from doing the same via their driver software.

It would make it much less accessible and as a result a less widespread problem though.

I'm not sure why they don't just reduce the range - i.e. it goes from 0 to 2.0 now and 1.0 is the default, reduce the range to 0.75 to 1.25...

• Like 2

Deffinetly support this idea. Night should be equally dark for everybody.

• Like 1

It needs to be removed from in server menu.

Main menu, menu is fine, because that adds a bit of randomness. Most will leave it in the middle so they are not blinded at day.

Decreasing the range works well too, if they wanted to mess with third party stuff then that's going pretty far for them really.

It will probably change a 40-60% abusers to 15-5% simply by making it more annoying.

Things like changes in scope zoom with FOV, also shadows and better adjusting of eyes in low light need improvements too though.

Edited by AP_Norris
  • Like 1

Not sure whats wrong with Texas but overcast nights in DayZ seem to be just as bright as clear nights with a full moon in Germany.

I think a better way to deal with nighttime is to add some kind of blur that makes it harder to spot details over a great distance regardless of gamma and use the darkness as an effect to mask this so it looks authentic with the right gamma and more like fog with high gamma settings.

• Like 1

What makes you think the devs think it's just fine? As somebody who doesn't design games, I think I'd be willing to make a small compromise in the face of most of a large community calling for a change in lighting, especially when people have to exploit the game's graphics options just to be able to play.

It would make it much less accessible and as a result a less widespread problem though.

I'm not sure why they don't just reduce the range - i.e. it goes from 0 to 2.0 now and 1.0 is the default, reduce the range to 0.75 to 1.25...

Excellent idea. Means that people who actually need to change their gamma settings can do so, and others can't abuse it - at least not using in-game options.

The way I see it is I want immersion so I leave it pitch. Pitch is about right for an overcast night in the sticks here in the UK. The guys out looking for PvP want to be able to spot me easy so let them....what they forget is that the muzzle flash shows 10x brighter on my  screen :D

Oh and this...

• Like 1

I could say the same for you.

As in, does it matter?

I could say the same for you.

As in, does it matter?

I answered from the point of view of "if i was the one making this game", re-read what i said if it wasn't clear.

This is easily one of the hottest topics of dayz up there with KOS and hacking . I don't really even have anything constructive too say for now because most of it has been said by others already in the above :D

Oh except this, I have always seen DayZ as 2 very different games between day and night (both incredible) but night time is the real experience if you can put up with it and I hope they find a solution because playing at night runs alot smoother aswell..

Edited by liquidcactus

We all know that when it's nightime we turn our gamma up and then we magically have nightvision. If you say you don't do that your most likely lying lol. The fact is it ruins the immersion of the night when you have nightvision at the ready whenever it's needed, I would use the many lightsources found in game but whats the point? It just makes me a HUGE target for other players who just turn their gamma up. Now i'm not saying there shouldn't be a method of night vision in the game, however I am saying that you should have to find a set of nightvision goggles before you have nightvision. To the people that are about to post some excuse about how their monitor won't display right unless the gamma is absolutely maxed then that's just a straight up lie and we both know it. Honestly, this fix would take maybe 20 minutes to do and then the game would be so much more immersive.

The gamma setting is on your computer, not on the server - you know that - whatever the in-game gamma slider is set to, you can turn your screen up to all white or down to total black, right on your PC. 

So this means that ANYONE can put their gamma to any value they like and no game on earth can ever stop them.

The only way you could stop players from seeing at night is by not raytracing ANY objects more than 3 yards away from the player, so the whole game is NOT on screen (not dark, not difficult to see, just NOT THERE), so everything outside that player's 3 yards range is LITERALLY PITCH black with NO IMAGE. That would be impossible to play and totally crazy of course. of course.. and people would still change their gamma to have 3 yards of 'daylight' inside all that blacknes - justas black as if your screen was switche off.. which it kind of is, because it's getting NO signal except to depict stuff less than 3 yards away from you.

but mainly  a "fix" - as you call it - would take a damn lot longer than any 20 minutes, if you wanted to change the game starting from scratch to do this, as described above, (and its a very silly useless thing to do ANYWAY). It would be more like like 20 months for the TEAM.. not 20 minutes

Where do you get this "20 minute fix "from?. Did you calculate it? Have you been doing this kind of work long? Do you maybe own a games studio? Do you program? or do you design motherboards or graphics cards?

AND even if anyone was crazy enough to black out to zeo-image the whole screen, except a tiny area, so then your gamma setting "wouldn't make a difference" because there would be NOTHING there. - STILL inside that little bit of image that actually existed with something in it -  the bit just around the tune's head  then, anyone could STILL turn their gamma up and down as much as they liked.. so it would make NO difference to the gameplay and change nothing at all.

There have already been threads talking about this.. quite a lot of threads. Check out a few of the "gamma' threads.

If you had enough moonlight to see with your gamma mid-to-low, then folk who turned up their gamma will be walking around in full daylight (it would look shit, but they could see for miles). And some of what you see/don't see when you change your gamma depends on what kind of screen you have as well as what GPU. Nothing to do with the game.

Hey - it's interesting to do this - Find out what gamma IS, find out what it is for, how it works on your GPU, find out what you can DO with it.. why it is there,  then work out some way that a game can have ANY effect on your PC gamma from far off inside the server software. When you discover how to do that, you'll be a wealthy man. Really - you'll be a well-known person and invited to games conferences.

In the meantime, play as honestly as you can, if you don't like playing where others have their gamma turned up high, don't play with them. Do you know any other REAL solution?

[LATER: Hey XNPxASSASSIN - I didn't intend to be mean at you there, please don't take offence. I feel bad about that now. I already said somewhere else, I didn't drink my coffee this morning... whatever.. ya know.. but I shouldn't jump on players in the forum just because I'm in a bad mood.

Your question/idea makes sense BUT unfortunately modifications to your PC gamma from in-game CANT be done... to try to have any effect would be like converting a car to a plane - you need hardware that does not exist, and other compromises or gaffer-tape solutions would be a really bad idea and end up crap - and they would take a mega-long time anyway even to arrive at a really bad result, plus you'd need a whole rebuild of how the engine draws stuff - and there's no point to it.. the only way to "not see" is if there is nothing on that part of the screen.

The thing that IS right and TRUE, is that playing at night with NVGs is a whole lot better and more fun than trying to max your gamma..100% gamma just comes out looking shit.. you can "see".. but it's not worth it unless you really don't care what you do to 'win']

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

I actually do code and no offense was taken, I din't mean literally change the whole nighttime element to a 5 yeard range i'm talking REDUCE the values the gamma can be adjusted to that way people who for some reason NEED to change their gamma can do so and the people who take advantage of the system still can but it will be to a reduced effect i've coded quite a few HUD's so if I can change the range of values on a slider im sure the dev team can too.

Exactly what I mean!

I actually do code and no offense was taken, I din't mean literally change the whole nighttime element to a 5 yeard range i'm talking REDUCE the values the gamma can be adjusted to that way people who for some reason NEED to change their gamma can do so and the people who take advantage of the system still can but it will be to a reduced effect i've coded quite a few HUD's so if I can change the range of values on a slider im sure the dev team can too.

Graphic cards have their own gamma settings.

Plus what is an "acceptable range" that will cover every display the user can potentially have?

I answered from the point of view of "if i was the one making this game", re-read what i said if it wasn't clear.

You simply didn't make it clear.

You think it's fine, me and most of the people I know think it's way too dark. Just leave it at that, please?

Too many argument with stubborn people lately. Not in the mood for one.

You simply didn't make it clear.

You think it's fine, me and most of the people I know think it's way too dark. Just leave it at that, please?

Too many argument with stubborn people lately. Not in the mood for one.

Yeah but as i said, if the devs think it's fine, it doesn't matter.

Yeah but as i said, if the devs think it's fine, it doesn't matter.

If Obama thinks that doubling taxes is fine, but none of the other politicians, citizens or other members of the US o A agree with him, the policy is bound to be fucked over. Advanced metaphor for you.

Unless, of course, you think that DayZ is essentially a dictatorship.

If Obama thinks that doubling taxes is fine, but none of the other politicians, citizens or other members of the US o A agree with him, the policy is bound to be fucked over. Advanced metaphor for you.

Unless, of course, you think that DayZ is essentially a dictatorship.

DayZ IS a dictatorship, while the devs may listen to suggestions they have no obligations to cater to them if they think that they know better, after all you bought the game for what they where gonna do with it, not for what you thought they should do.

Edited by Lady Kyrah