zombieland78

Is it considered bad form to server hop at military areas?

So I logged in at a military camp 5 mins before server restarts. I log back in to an unpopulated server, only 1 other person on. Within 2 minutes I was shot dead.

Is this likely to be an admin, punishing me for jumping on an empty server in a high loot area? It wasn't one of the popular military areas either.

Admins can't do that, it was probably a fellow server hopper.

And yes, it is considered bad form.

• Like 11

So I logged in at a military camp 5 mins before server restarts. I log back in to an unpopulated server, only 1 other person on. Within 2 minutes I was shot dead.

Is this likely to be an admin, punishing me for jumping on an empty server in a high loot area? It wasn't one of the popular military areas either.

It kinda takes away from the intention of the game IMO. 

• Like 4

Is it worse form than shooting someone in the back and taking their things?

Who cares?... you need extreme luck sticking to 1 server to find the good stuff, otherwise we hop, seems you got shot by a fellow hopper.  Just pretend we are Dr Who and have a majic phone booth time machine if you need to make up some kind of justification...

Prob not nettles, seems like kos would be worse than hopping.  I can go find my precious w/o having to worry about kos psychos.

Edited by Cptn_Miller
  • Like 1

As far as I am concerned, yes indeed.

It completely ruins the 'survival game' idea, and turns it into... Something else. Something that was not intended.

Like this:

Just pretend we are Dr Who and have a majic phone booth time machine if you need to make up some kind of justification...

I prefer Chernarus cold, scary and dangerous, without magic phone booth time machines.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 10

Yes server hoppers are always being executed either by fellow server hoppers or by survivors who find them.  

Server hoppers tend to encounter other server hoppers...

I don't like server hoppers and can't wait for private shards.

To each his own.

• Like 5

....your ingame-name wouldn't happen to be BIG Ghent?

If you are going to try to say it was you that killed him then I doupt it because there is so many server hoppers out there.

Still you never know its a small world.

So I logged in at a military camp  ..//..  within 2 minutes I was shot dead.

Amazing !

• Like 2

If you are going to try to say it was you that killed him then I doupt it because there is so many server hoppers out there.

Still you never know its a small world.

Always a chance

I agree with Odin; having private shards is going to cut down a lot on server hopping.  I'm all about server loyalty.  

• Like 4

I have never ranked who I love to kill the most, but would go something like this (from most satisfactory to the worse feeling):

1. Hackers.  Sometimes I cannot sleep of how happy I feel.

2. Combat Loggers: sweet to get these ones, sitting on a corner.

3. Server hoppers. 

4. Fully geared players. (really rewarding, especially when on a clean combat).

5. Snipers.  

6. Half-Bambies.  Those with a gun and just some ammo.

7. Bambies.  Once I shot one guy, no weapons, only 3 books on his scholar back pack.  I had this really bad feeling for almost a week.

But the beauty of this game is that has so many angles and styles to play!

Cheers!

• Like 2

Its ok im curious whatever are people gonna do when they end up hiving mini hiving all the servers like they did in the mod whatever will the little hoppers do? lol will they actually learn how to play the game correctly.

I agree with Odin; having private shards is going to cut down a lot on server hopping.  I'm all about server loyalty.  

You misunderstand - private shards cut down 100% on server hopping, because your tune only has his equipment on THAT server. If he turns up on any other server he's bare assed naked. I HOPE you got that straight. You understand. You cant take any gear to any other server from your shard. And no one will hop to your server because they CANT take stuff away from it. The only reason they will come there will be to play, but even if they wanted to fight they'd have to find the gear first (because they arrive on the beach) and you'll kick them long before that (right? private shard?). Private shard servers are great if you want to shoot the same people over and over and over and over again, hang with the same few folk and and use the game as a little Twitter between you and your 12 friends, sit around the campfire every night with the same folk and .. well.. just ... hang out with the same folk, and then, hot damn, hang out with the same folk some more.....

'Server loyalty' means you have a total player membership of maybe 20-30 people (ok if that's what you're about) .. the public hive means you have a total player membership of - how many million was that again? - But I guess if you don't want to MEET any new strange players, then go for it.. And make sure you obey the private server rules, of course, or you'll be butt naked on some strangers beach again.

Maybe it's not that bad (I'm trying to be nice), it just seems that way to me, but in any case - Enjoy

No server hopping (not even for YOU, dude) no strangers, no change, same people, the boss, his sidekicks, the enforced rules of etiquette and behaviour..(maybe a little pay to play?).. and turn your back on 2 million players because some of them are "not nice people".. cool if that's what you're looking for. But.. euh.. why ?

There are plenty of private servers around now.; go down the list one night, log in to a few, see how long you stay before you're kicked... (but THOSE admins CAN - right now - switch servers when they want and fight or loot anywhere, which you wont be able to do on your private shard). And I think it will mainly STAY that way when people understand they can loot farm their own server, kick who they like, and hop to everyone elses (as quite a few do NOW) but if they PAY EXTRA, then they wont be able to do any of those things any more. So what do you figure is going to happen?

xx

This is the way I see it.

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 6

You misunderstand - private shards cut down 100% on server hopping, because your tune only has his equipment on THAT server. If he turns up on any other server he's bare assed naked. I HOPE you got that straight. You understand. You cant take any gear to any other server from your shard. And no one will hop to your server because they CANT take stuff away from it. The only reason they will come there will be to play, but even if they wanted to fight they'd have to find the gear first (because they arrive on the beach) and you'll kick them long before that (right? private shard?). Private shard servers are great if you want to shoot the same people over and over and over and over again, hang with the same few folk and and use the game as a little Twitter between you and your 12 friends, sit around the campfire every night with the same folk and .. well.. just ... hang out with the same folk, and then, hot damn, hang out with the same folk some more.....

'Server loyalty' means you have a total player membership of maybe 20-30 people (ok if that's what you're about) .. the public hive means you have a total player membership of - how many million was that again? - But I guess if you don't want to MEET any new strange players, then go for it.. And make sure you obey the private server rules, of course, or you'll be butt naked on some strangers beach again.

Maybe it's not that bad (I'm trying to be nice), it just seems that way to me, but in any case - Enjoy

No server hopping (not even for YOU, dude) no strangers, no change, same people, the boss, his sidekicks, the enforced rules of etiquette and behaviour..(maybe a little pay to play?).. and turn your back on 2 million players because some of them are "not nice people".. cool if that's what you're looking for. But.. euh.. why ?

There are plenty of private servers around now.; go down the list one night, log in to a few, see how long you stay before you're kicked... (but THOSE admins CAN - right now - switch servers when they want and fight or loot anywhere, which you wont be able to do on your private shard). And I think it will mainly STAY that way when people understand they can loot farm their own server, kick who they like, and hop to everyone elses (as quite a few do NOW) but if they PAY EXTRA, then they wont be able to do any of those things any more. So what do you figure is going to happen?

xx

This is the way I see it.

I have to agree with most of what you said. But having private shards doesn't mean that the public servers will disappear. If you played the DayZ mod you'll know it's basically like that. By having private shards, some servers will be whitelisted and passworded and it limits the amount of players that would be on it at X time, but I remember playing on some servers that were full most of the time, meaning encounter chances were pretty high up. Roleplay servers were great, at least for me, but I agree that depending on server admin rules, admin abuse and the community the server has, it can be a horrible experience.

I should specify "I can't wait for private shards, to find a nice server with a white list, a nice community with diverse playing styles, bandits, KoS, heroes, that will eventually close because it's private and the person renting would not renew it for what ever reasons he had, loosing all progress. At least you keep good memories of your play sessions and interesting encounters you had."

:lol:   Utopia right? B)

Gotta love DayZ! :beans:

• Like 3

Yes, and the I have to ask you: are you being serious?

FYI, I don't KOS, I also don't server hop unless my primary server took a dump or if I want a change in population.  It is never for collecting items.  There are clans that send groups into the woods near the various prime loot spots.  They raid the joint, pop back into the woods, then log out and log in to their server.  It is called server farming.  It is about as lame as it gets... it is practically like performing a job... only you paid someone else $30 to do it.  Talk about wasting your game time.

The guy who shot you in the back was playing a game.  The server farmer is performing a job for free.  This is a very easy question.

• Like 1

Could be a server hopper, could be a cheater who had the location cheat and the movement cheat, could be dumb luck.  I had one of those as well the day before .49 only it was a guy from a clan (1 of 8 who suddenly appeared) who jumped in, caught me at night while I was running... the whole thing was suspicious as they all jumped out not long after.

But understand this, all the military bases are high end spawn points for any number of groups including casual players with no hidden agenda.  You may think you were going someplace unpopulated, but since persistence is spreading like the clap at a swingers club the less well known military spawns are going to start getting farmed since NWAF, Balota, etc., are all looted out and only spawning very meager loot.  It is part of persistence.  You will want to get used to it.

• Like 1

But isn't server hopping supposed to be integral to the game? That's what the central loot economy is, isn't it? That system would certainly encourage server hopping at any rate.

While I don't agree with server hopping. I can see a situation where no legit players get any loot while server hopping is such a problem. I haven't played in a while but I can see why people server hop.

Imo, don't blame the players, blame the game.

Shards will help but a lot of people will choose the easy way out and go public so they can server hop, reducing the players of what I consider to be proper dayz to each his own and all but server hopping clearly isn't in the spirit of the game. We need more solutions than just shards. I'm not sure what they could be, but we need them.

I also think there should be "group" servers. These will be hives of 2-5 servers where you have the same character on each of them, that way if one is full, you can join another rather than having to choose between start over or not play. If one goes down or has issues you can join another and keep your character. And admins can punish server hoppers as they wish. They could have logs of how many times someone logs in/out. Admins can then ban/temp ban players. It would also help later on when barricades are added.

• Like 2

bunch of stuff, total misunderstanding, rant dripping with sarcasm, blah blah blah...

I didn't misunderstand, don't worry your pretty little noodle.  I don't join a server to pick up loot and leave.  I'm fine with being a part of a growing healthy community.  People tend to trickle in, leave, and are replaced by other, different people with different styles of play.  (And yes, don't worry, I understand this is the SAME server, you don't have to remind me multiple times~)  Just because I don't like to migrate from highly-populated server to server and aggressively murder everyone I see justifying it with "IT'S JUST A GAME IF THEY WANTED TO SURVIVE THEY WOULDN'T PLAY, GOD."  For some people that's okay.  To be quite frank, even if the server I end up with is only 12 people, I'm fine with that.  That's a shit load of people.  You could fortify Svetlojarsk in a day with that many people.  Build a little community.  Defend it from hordes. etc etc.  (That's just an example.)  

The guy who shot you in the back was playing a game.  The server farmer is performing a job for free.

I've never died facing away from an enemy.

Apparently I need to make it clear I'm not a serverhopping inbred mouthbreather, incapable of understanding things without being told multiple times.

Admins can't do that, it was probably a fellow server hopper.

you said it all friend

When loot constantly respawns on the same server w/o a restart, ill stop hopping...

The zombies are no factor, the chance of starving - no factor, the chance of dehydrating - no factor, the chance of freezing - no factor, the chance of getting murdered - MAJOR FACTOR... so how to lower your chances of getting murdered ? gear up so its an even fight or go hide in the woods in middle of nowhere and become a hermit ... i go with option A - murder the murderers, imo there is nothing funner in this game atm than gearing up, hitting a high pop server and go in guns blazing... its a rush you dont get from many if any other game out there...

But isn't server hopping supposed to be integral to the game? That's what the central loot economy is, isn't it? That system would certainly encourage server hopping at any rate.

I see what you did there. 

• Like 1