Death By Crowbar

Playing without a mic (or when you can't use a mic)

Long story short often when I play even though I have a headset & mic I can't use the mic because of my desk's proximity to the bed and my wife sleeping, not to mention the talking could wake the kids in the nearby rooms. Basically - it's the same as playing without a mic at all.

Anyone else have this experience (no mic or cannot use mic when playing usually)?

One of the things I struggle with is it almost guarantees I'm playing lone wolf - the reason why is because if I approach someone with arms up and comply typing can sometimes lead to random character movements and a lot of times people don't even read the text let alone have the time to wait for it to show up. Impatience seems to lead to a "F this guy, kill him" mentality. In all of the times I've played this way with no mic only maybe 3 times did I connected with people who seemed to "get it" and work with me or cooperate as a rag tag group. I usually set the expectation that "I'll follow your lead, tell me which way you'd like me to go or where I should stand watch". I break it up by sneaking up and throwing chem lights and people and running away, sometimes acting silly can find you fellow survivors willing to take a risk.

No mic makes things interesting, sometimes it can work out, but the majority of the time it doesn't and I end up having to fly solo, the ever vigilant lone wolf who most will find less trust worthy than nearly anyone because I cannot speak.

Anyone else stuck in this boat? Curious how others deal with it.

• Like 2

Yeah, i know that feeling.

I usually avoid player interactions if i don't have a mic because there is honestly no point.

I only use the text chat when im held up, but i make it clear from the beginning that i don't have a mic. 

Just had kind of an odd idea... What if you role played your character as a mute? You carry a long-winded note around with you explaining that you cannot speak and that having another survivor with you would make handling player confrontation much easier ie an invitation to team up.

You'll still have the issue of players not trusting you because you aren't able to announce yourself as being a nonhostile quickly when confronted, but there are ways around this. Cuing your mic in known patterns (think SOS) while you friendly dance or whatever before you hand them the note could work with some survivors.

Although your situation definitely makes life harder, I would, if I were you, do my best to tie it into your gameplay in a fun way instead of allowing it to only slow you down in a purely negative way.

Good luck!

• Like 4

Just had kind of an odd idea... What if you role played your character as a mute? You carry a long-winded note around with you explaining that you cannot speak and that having another survivor with you would make handling player confrontation much easier ie an invitation to team up.

This is a brilliant idea. I already always carry a note on me announcing who I am, well wishing whoever I was with or who tried to save me and cursing whoever killed me. That's totally a brilliant option!

If you have ts3 or skype etc you can always sit in a channel with your friends and communicate locations to meet up via text.  Then just listen to whats going on as you go and play with the group.  Applejackdaniels does it all the time with our group due to mic restrictions works out quite well.

• Like 1

I sometimes use test even when I do have a mic I can use and no one to wake up. The reason is that it doesn't give away your position. If I am out of their line of sight, but peak around a corner to know they are there, I can do text and observe. Also, using test displays the name. Most people pause and chat with someone listed as a trader instead of just shooting. They may still betray you, but at least most of them think about it a little before doing so. Sometimes they decide they are really pleased with the trades and make a point of watching out for you thereafter.

• Like 1

DayZ is just not a good game to play without a microphone. The key of survival is communication. Whether it's a heard of animals fleeing from a predator, or humans surviving in an apocalypse, those who are unable to communicate are the first to die. And unfortunately, pressing one of the "F" keys, or nodding your head, just isn't enough communication for DayZ. 

Back when my PC was in the living room I use to have trouble using mics. There would always be people over watching TV and my roommate had his PC in the living room too. Just way too much background noise for the mic I had at the time.

The note idea is interesting.  But the current game state is pretty bandit oriented so you are still gonna get blasted.  I suggest just being a silent bandit when you can't talk.  With the server cap being 40 players and not many high pop servers out there, coupled with the fact that the community really only cares about adding cool loot and not bug fixing or broadening the scope of the game, it's just a death match PvP environment anyway.  

Once they fix persistence AND increase the server pop cap you'll see less KoS and more interactive gameplay which I would then move the computer into the living room so you can talk freely.  

I moved the computer out of the master bedroom and into the office downstairs.  Now I can yell at nerds all day long while the wife and kids sleep upstairs.

• Like 2

Basement? Office? Hardly used bathroom?

I play on occasion with no mic, laptop in the living room. That is my gathering time, I avoid everyone and everything if I can't talk. Normally I just grab what I want or need and bring it back to camp. Been killed a few times because of this, no mic = "You Are Dead" for most people.

Office is for when I want the volume cranked. I have a nice headset, but I tend to use my speakers and a standalone mic more often than not.

Edited by Dazinth

You can still dance the "Friendly Dance" and walk off save!

You can friendly dance if you want to, you can leave your beans behind.

But if you don't dance, you won't have a chance, to be a friend of mine.

Yeah, I know, I'm really tired right now.

• Like 2

I automatically distrust anyone who can't talk back, but it is nice if they type. A mute gets one warning from me to get away then they get their legs broken. A typer gets a friendly nod but I have no interest in running with someone who can only use the type chat. If I'm going to pair with you, we're friending on steam to use private voice chat or skyping. In game vc is just for encounters with strangers and trolling during Mexican standoffs.

I can understand circumstances where someone can't use a mic, but I hope you understand why I (and many others) don't want to interact with a mute.

To me having a working Mic and using it in this game is a MUST, maybe not for In-game communication, but communicating with your friends/squad in TS or Skype or whatever.

Like communication in this game is very useful and having to type something out only leaves you vulnerable to attacks or being seen, when you can simply press one key/button and speak while your doing something else is a lot easier, and some say well, " I avoid people, so not having a mic is alright ". Well unless you play in some remote place on the map or on an empty server your going to bump into someone and having a mic is going to save you a lot sooner than typing something out, and it keeps your name private as long as you don't allow people to get close enough to check your pulse, which shouldn't be possible but, hurrdurr alphurrr...

Wiggeling saves lives! I for my share have never shot a Guy or a Bambie that did the Wiggels! Would you Guys? For me it's the universall" Im no Thread "sign from the start.

Anyone else have this experience (no mic or cannot use mic when playing usually)?

Yep. Tiny apartment, PC in the bedroom cause it's in the way everywhere else, wife trying to sleep during my gaming time. I'm not very social so playing DayZ solo doesn't bother me. I've been fortunate in that ~50% of my encounters are with friendlies just roaming the map. The good encounters are brief but full of trade and end with best wishes. The other half are also brief but filled with me cursing audibly, and end with the wife waking up: "Now you're dead, come to bed." My favorite time to play is when she's up late so I can use the mic.

• Like 1

Long story short often when I play even though I have a headset & mic I can't use the mic because of my desk's proximity to the bed and my wife sleeping, not to mention the talking could wake the kids in the nearby rooms. Basically - it's the same as playing without a mic at all.

One of the things I struggle with is it almost guarantees I'm playing lone wolf - the reason why is because if I approach someone with arms up and comply typing can sometimes lead to random character movements and a lot of times people don't even read the text let alone have the time to wait for it to show up. Impatience seems to lead to a "F this guy, kill him" mentality. In all of the times I've played this way with no mic only maybe 3 times did I connected with people who seemed to "get it" and work with me or cooperate as a rag tag group. I usually set the expectation that "I'll follow your lead, tell me which way you'd like me to go or where I should stand watch". I break it up by sneaking up and throwing chem lights and people and running away, sometimes acting silly can find you fellow survivors willing to take a risk.

No mic makes things interesting, sometimes it can work out, but the majority of the time it doesn't and I end up having to fly solo, the ever vigilant lone wolf who most will find less trust worthy than nearly anyone because I cannot speak.

Hit F2(hands up) and then immediately start typing... prob your only option to delay getting blasted in the face.  Or just hit F4(f u) and go out with guns blazing.

Option 2 prob better if you are fully geared as most people seem to just shoot onsite anyways, hopefully you can take at least 1 out and ruin all your gear to spoil thier rape fest.

Edited by Cptn_Miller

I'm picturing your poor wife trying to get a few hours of sleep in after a day of taking care of the kids, while her husband is click, click, clicking away lighting the room with the blue haze of a zombie apocalypse. Lol, marriage.

• Like 2

I am able to type rather fast so playing without a microphone does not bother me all that much.

• Like 1

I am able to type rather fast so playing without a microphone does not bother me all that much.

I have Everquest raid lead typing speed (pre-team speak), I don't know what my words per minute is but it's classically trained, reinforced by old school mmo's and AOL chat type fast. I'm no super hero, but I'm fast enough, and even so either my stenographer short hand isn't quick enough or people simply don't read the text in the lower left. Inception., do you run with a crew of friends or do you end up having to lonewolf it a lot? I can't even run up on someone and type, I usually have to hide and keep tying until they see it so as to not aggro them.

maniac-typing.gif

Ive put in at least 50 hours in the SA and well over 100 in the mods playing without even a headset on.. no audio, no mic.. nothing. (for similar reasons, but even further..)

Try that.. its actually kind of fun.  ;)

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

I have Everquest raid lead typing speed (pre-team speak), I don't know what my words per minute is but it's classically trained, reinforced by old school mmo's and AOL chat type fast. I'm no super hero, but I'm fast enough, and even so either my stenographer short hand isn't quick enough or people simply don't read the text in the lower left. Inception., do you run with a crew of friends or do you end up having to lonewolf it a lot? I can't even run up on someone and type, I usually have to hide and keep tying until they see it so as to not aggro them.

In actuality I haven't played the game for a long time, however I tend to play it solo.