Sign in to follow this  
LimeMobber

Awesome job on the hunger there

Yep, I just died of starvation within 10 minutes of eating two cans of spaghetti, an entire zucchini, and drinking from a well until completely hydrated.

Just a bang up job being done here on this game, alpha or otherwise.

That is connected to hypothermia...or to me more specific.. "being cold", you health drops as you getting cooler, so when you eat you just recovering the health you just lost. Warm clothing is you best friend right now, even more than food. As soon as you spawn look for a way to warm up immediately.

Is a nice challenge by the way.. i truly enjoying it.

• Like 2

Yep, I just died of starvation within 10 minutes of eating two cans of spaghetti, an entire zucchini, and drinking from a well until completely hydrated.

Just a bang up job being done here on this game, alpha or otherwise.

Yep it's silly right now when you spawn in you're hungry and instantly cold and if you don't find a good food source within that 10 minutes or so you're fucked unless you find a good samaritan(LOL)

I think they should just spawn us in completely neutral until they balance it a bit, with persistent loot if you're on any server people have been on you have very little chance of surviving.

So should we just go to known hot spots for food and server hop until we find something? It seems almost the only way to survive the first hour or so at the moment.

Clothes are a bitch to find too with loot as it is at most I've found found hats in whole towns, most everything is just gone everywhere.

And it's not like you have the energy to run to a far away town people might not have visited, you will die on the way no matter what unless you're exceptionally lucky.

Yep it's silly right now when you spawn in you're hungry and instantly cold and if you don't find a good food source within that 10 minutes or so you're fucked unless you find a good samaritan(LOL)

I think they should just spawn us in completely neutral until they balance it a bit, with persistent loot if you're on any server people have been on you have very little chance of surviving.

So should we just go to known hot spots for food and server hop until we find something? It seems almost the only way to survive the first hour or so at the moment.

Clothes are a bitch to find too with loot as it is at most I've found found hats in whole towns, most everything is just gone everywhere.

And it's not like you have the energy to run to a far away town people might not have visited, you will die on the way no matter what unless you're exceptionally lucky.

I find pants everywhere ... i like pants.... but yeah, nice warm coats are hard to find in the persistent servers. i just found a pristine one and i feel like i won the lottery.

Edited by Cpanther

Cpanther, on 26 Sept 2014 - 4:26 PM, said:

That is connected to hypothermia...or to me more specific.. "being cold", you health drops as you getting cooler, so when you eat you just recovering the health you just lost. Warm clothing is you best friend right now, even more than food. As soon as you spawn look for a way to warm up immediately.

Is a nice challenge by the way.. i truly enjoying it.

Well it is completely screwed up. My hunger was RED, said I was starving, and would not move as I ate and it killed me.

I think they should go for a more realistic approach and be allowed to add layers of clothes. For example wearing 5 t-shirts would keep you warm.

I think they should go for a more realistic approach and be allowed to add layers of clothes. For example wearing 5 t-shirts would keep you warm.

You should be available to use books as insulation, put the pages inside you clothing to trap the heat coming out from you body.... Devs ??? 

Edited by Cpanther

Putting a plastic raincoat OVER your other gear would be a pretty normal thing to do,...Whatever you're wearing, a raincoat, with a hood, will go over all that and you hold it down with your backpack even if it doesnt completely fit over your 'down jacket' or whatever. This is normal.

I note that blankets seem uncommon in this country... Have any of you survivors EVER seen a blanket in any of those abandoned villages and towns??  There are plenty of different things you can do with a blanket.. make a bag, make a poncho, tie it around your shoulders..wear the damn think to stay warm..  a blanket has to be about the commonest man-made item in this hemisphere. Where are they ?

xx

Well, maybe not that but I don't understand the logic behind taking your t-shirt off when you put on a jacket...

We should be able to stack clothes in a sensible fashion, like a jacket over a hoodie. However since it's going to be zipped up, the downside should be that that you can't access the pockets on the hoodie.

I find pants everywhere ... i like pants.... but yeah, nice warm coats are hard to find in the persistent servers. i just found a pristine one and i feel like i won the lottery.

Can you imagine how horrible it's going to be getting killed when you're geared up now? And just how much people are going to kill for that coat you have...

The ongoing deathmatch seems like it's probably going to get hella worse.

a blanket has to be about the commonest man-made item in this hemisphere. Where are they ?

Not once have I thought of that, would be an excellent edition. While you're wrapped up in a blanket you can't attack so it leaves you vulnerable, though they should be semi-rare I guess. Or shitty blankets that get you up to survivable warmth if they're dry.

Can you imagine how horrible it's going to be getting killed when you're geared up now? And just how much people are going to kill for that coat you have...

The ongoing deathmatch seems like it's probably going to get hella worse.

Well, people are going to be to busy trying to stay alive .. also a "ruined" coat will do you little good, i personally will ask that person to share the coat with me for a while to we can find another one... 

Not once have I thought of that, would be an excellent edition. While you're wrapped up in a blanket you can't attack so it leaves you vulnerable, though they should be semi-rare I guess. Or shitty blankets that get you up to survivable warmth if they're dry.

sleeping bags?

I just hope they dont sacrifice realism for game difficulty. Lets face it, unless we were in antarctica, cold weather shouldnt have too much effect in a semi populated area like chernaurus. Clothes should be plentiful in any house, same goes for common utensils such as knives, and even axes, picks etc in most garages. I like the canned food but lets face it, if you are starving you will smash it open with a rock.

• Like 1

Well it is completely screwed up. My hunger was RED, said I was starving, and would not move as I ate and it killed me.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. If you're starving to death in real life and you eat a couple cans of food, you're not going to instantly be perfect again. You were too far gone for those two cans to do any good. In real life the time it takes to starve to death is going to be much longer than in the game, but the same principals would still apply.

In DayZ you eat to put food into your stomach, then the food turns into energy. When you are starving, you lack energy, if you leave it too long and then eat, the energy gained won't be enough to save you from starvation.

Check out this video, it's a really great source of info on the way hunger works in DayZ, I'm not sure if everything in the game mechanics are still the same, but the video is still very insightful.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Linked wrong vid first time.

Edited by bad_mojo

bad_mojo, on 26 Sept 2014 - 7:08 PM, said:

Seems pretty straight forward to me. If you're starving to death in real life and you eat a couple cans of food, you're not going to instantly be perfect again. You were too far gone for those two cans to do any good. In real life the time it takes to starve to death is going to be much longer than in the game, but the same principals would still apply.

In DayZ you eat to put food into your stomach, then the food turns into energy. When you are starving, you lack energy, if you leave it too long and then eat, the energy gained won't be enough to save you from starvation.

Check out this video, it's a really great source of info on the way hunger works in DayZ, I'm not sure if everything in the game mechanics are still the same, but the video is still very insightful.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Linked wrong vid first time.

Seriously? Your going to argue reality as to why I starved? In a game where I have to drink a 6 pack of pop or 3 entire canteens to go from thirsty to hydrated? In the same game where casual hunger will require 3 apples, 2 bananas, a bag of rice, and 2 canned beans?

Seriously? Make BLANKETS rare? That just screams "stupid arbitrary difficulty" to me.

Do.... do you know how many people lived in Chernarus? How many blankets would that equal?

Shit, "balancing" blankets would be literally the easiest thing imaginable, if that is what you are worried about. When you wear a blanket, you can't use your arms. Boom, done, balanced. Easily worth the warmth even a semi-decent blanket provides.

Asides from my fire-building supplies, my sleeping kit is literally the most important part of my backpack. 2 milsurp wool blankets, a milsurp poncho w/liner, and additional disposable plastic-sheet ponchos. With those pieces of equipment, and a little know-how (piling up leaves into a 2 foot thick pile for insulation), I've slept for several days in sub-zero (F) degree weather.

Seriously? Your going to argue reality as to why I starved? In a game where I have to drink a 6 pack of pop or 3 entire canteens to go from thirsty to hydrated? In the same game where casual hunger will require 3 apples, 2 bananas, a bag of rice, and 2 canned beans?

They made a design decision about the increased hunger/thirst, but I'm not arguing that DayZ is reality, I'm just saying they based some of their hunger mechanics on reality. In DayZ like in real life, you can't wait until you're almost dead of starvation to eat some food, by that point it's too late, maybe if you also had some medical attention and more food you would pull out of it.

You didn't watch the video, did you?

You starved in the game because it's been confirmed that being cold depletes your energy until you eventually starve, or freeze. Whichever comes first. How much energy you are losing is based on how cold you are, and how fast your are losing heat. So you have to monitor those messages, and keep yourself warm, or you could essentially starve to death.

In real life, your body generates it's own heat when it get's too cold. Losing your energy in-game from being too cold is the developers answer to real life 'shivering'.

• Like 1

Seriously? Make BLANKETS rare? That just screams "stupid arbitrary difficulty" to me.

Do.... do you know how many people lived in Chernarus? How many blankets would that equal?

Shit, "balancing" blankets would be literally the easiest thing imaginable, if that is what you are worried about. When you wear a blanket, you can't use your arms. Boom, done, balanced. Easily worth the warmth even a semi-decent blanket provides.

Asides from my fire-building supplies, my sleeping kit is literally the most important part of my backpack. 2 milsurp wool blankets, a milsurp poncho w/liner, and additional disposable plastic-sheet ponchos. With those pieces of equipment, and a little know-how (piling up leaves into a 2 foot thick pile for insulation), I've slept for several days in sub-zero (F) degree weather.

So it's unbelievable to assume that a lot of people took their blankets or maybe didn't have many? Chernaus is clearly quite a poor area, it's very possible each home might only even have a single blanket. And to go with that, that people stole blankets from empty houses just to keep warm.

I mean we can assume everyone didn't just die instantly there'd have been people surviving for weeks, checking houses who wouldn't take blankets?

It makes perfect sense really.

I'm not suggesting that there be a max of one per server but not like every single non looted house having one.