haknslash

A look at one of the new zombie models

Would it really be hard to picture why no children or elderly survived to become zombies. 

Situation #1 --- Dead before chance to get infected. disease is spreading... children and elderly are easily prey for zombies and easily trampled by people escaping them.

Situation #2 --- children and elderly do get infected.... oops their weak bodies cant handle the infection they died instead of getting taken over by infection,

Thats an old man infected model your looking at. So that kind of kills your theory on those two situations lol.

I have no doubt in reality a virus would infect a population indiscriminately regardless of any human morals. My point is; just because this is how it would unfold in reality; is it reason enough to replicate in a game without asking if it was wise to do so; and would this generate any mental health repercussions in doing so to some people; as well as degenerate the mentality of an already unstable person.

Should we simulate something we know to be immoral into a video game because thats where the truth is found?

Please read my longer post on page 6 about moral lines in video games and the potential future of the type of simulations we can expect to be presented with in the coming decades and share your thoughts please. Do you think a moral line should never be drawn in video games and if so why beyond reflecting what could happen in reality.

Yes to a degree i think it should never be drawn. Be advised it took a long time for movies to hit this kind of territory with things. The video game entertainment industry is still very young. So i would expect it to take quite a bit longer before specific barriers are broken.

When it comes to the death of children; the film industry is mature enough to not show such a crime in its true horriffic light, and instead let your imagination do the maths on what happened. The death of a child usually happens off camera, of when it is show the director is compasionate enough not to revel in it.

I think there is a difference in video games since you are not the observer as with films but the would be culprit.

i fail to see why moral lines should be drawn in a video game to any degree other than intended by the developer. if you don't like it, don't play it. it is as plausible for children to be present in the DayZ universe as it is for them to be absent. i think it would make it seem more authentic, and present some challenges to player decision making, but would it really add that much to game play? pretty much indifferent on whether they implement them or not...

keep in mind, for those high moral ground folks, that there have been very few games with kill-able children, but we still have the school killings, thousands upon thousands of children missing each year, etc. those amoral people are going to do those things regardless....

to speculate 10-20 years into the future is really pretty silly, kind of like calling the film industry mature...they film what sells, and believe me if they thought there would be money in it, there would be kids getting hacked up in every film. 

anyway...nice zombie model, cant wait to see all the variations possible with the "paper doll" thing worked out...dev on :thumbsup:

Thats an old man infected model your looking at. So that kind of kills your theory on those two situations lol.

now imagine a world that doesnt deal with only absolutes... most of the elderly / children couldnt survive the virus....

Edited by umm_me
  • Like 1

now imagine a world that doesnt deal with only absolutes... most of the elderly / children couldnt survive the virus....

EXACTLY.

In most cases, the people most likely to die due to an illness are children and the elderly.

Even if they survived the infection, who would be most likely to die via beating to death? The children and the elderly. Hence why they don't appear as infected; they are already dead.

I got to see this new zombie on the latest experemental build last night:

When it comes to the death of children; the film industry is mature enough to not show such a crime in its true horriffic light, and instead let your imagination do the maths on what happened. The death of a child usually happens off camera, of when it is show the director is compasionate enough not to revel in it.

I think there is a difference in video games since you are not the observer as with films but the would be culprit.

Ever see The Wire? Young'yin gets bullets to the chest (and face?) on camera.

Doesn't mean that in DayZ you'd have to be happy about killing child zombies.

It could cause a moral dilemma for some and others "it's just a game" and for the faint of heart...they should just not be playing the game anyway.

No reason to hold back content because it might offend or frighten people it's a mature game.

Course if they made a homeless black guy zombie which was the only black model in the game, then that would be an issue.

I would appreciate the ability to kill child zombies because it's so rare a thing, it's just annoying playing so many games like GTA where there just are no children ever, in GTA now there are dogs and stuff but no children...

It would add greater realistic depth to the game world and while I find most kids irritating as fuck no I'm not going to import an M16 and shoot up a school. Anyone that would again shouldn't be playing the game as they've already lost touch with reality.

In a game where you can torture people and force feed them disgusting things I don't think we need to be babied.

Anyway some more variation, awesome.

Wonder if there'll ever be fat ones? Be it just a fat person prior to becoming infected or fat like that one in Walking Dead who ate Lori(best part in the series)

Some starved looking ones would be cool too.