haknslash

A look at one of the new zombie models

To be fair State of Decay handled the mutation variations quite well without going to insanely over the top like what L4D series did. I kind of like the realism they used for those types much better.

Been playing a fair bit of LifeLine and I agree the freaks are certainly not too over-powered, just not decided yet if I'd like to see them in DayZ though - probably not.

Been playing a fair bit of LifeLine and I agree the freaks are certainly not too over-powered, just not decided yet if I'd like to see them in DayZ though - probably not.

Well the current zombies we have are in an extremely poor state themselves so something is going to have to be done ether mechanic wise, number wise and yes even mutated wise possibly to make them more dangerous to players. Because lets face it. Stealth with not help the danger factor with zeds it will only add to the problem if they are not dangerous enough. I really think that getting infected and turning into one needs to be a real threat otherwise players will still laugh them off.

Looks good, but his knees are bloody and his hands and mouth are not.

Would look great with a missing boot.

Really laughing at the general hipocrisy in here. Killing virtual pixels (children) is a no-go, but killing adults is perfectly a-ok and morally sound. Okay..

I for one didn't say killing adults is morally sound. I called this an "already lawless" game. But the fact is, that a post-apocalyptic first- or third-person-S-H-O-O-T-E-R requires this type of mechanic to, in fact, BE a first- or third-person-S-H-O-O-T-E-R does not mean you have to go further than necessary and implement slaughtering infected children, cannibalism, dismemberment and rape.

Also, I do not have to approve of murder, rape, cannibalism or infanticide in order to be allowed to play a third-person-shooter game. What you are implying is that anybody who plays anything more violent than supermario bros. is a hypocrite if he thinks video games should have ethical boundaries.

I also like how you called the children "killing virtual pixels", as set apart from "killing adults". Classic example of "how to strawman 101"

I didn't set it apart. Wether you kill an adult or a child ingame, you still 'kill' some pixels. Where is the difference between the two, why do people have no problem with one thing but the other 'goes too far'?

I didn't set it apart. Wether you kill an adult or a child ingame, you still 'kill' some pixels. Where is the difference between the two, why do people have no problem with one thing but the other 'goes too far'?

It is actually already in my above mentioned post. It's quite a worthwhile read, you know!

Beyond that, I don't need to tell you that killing children is, for good reason, widely regarded as even more morally bankrupt than murdering adults. Probably has something to do with the fact that they have had far less out of life, are not capable of being held responsible for anything ergo are considered innocent, are defenseless and vulnerable.

This is why. Do I need to keep on philosophising or do you get the point?

No children zombies.

So you can't seperate a videogame from reality then? That's quite dangerous you know. Sure, the game is lawless, its what you make out of it with your character in this videogame. I dont see what would be the difference if there would be children infected running around. It's still just a videogame. That's quite a wonky concept of moral you have there.

I do sometimes feel bad - when I kill someone in the game or rob them and they turn out to be squeekers/persons under 18 years old (children). Because there are actual people behind the character and they talk, not just some NPC infected roboting around. And I feel bad playing together with these children as I feel they have no place in this rather mature game.

Edited by surf_polar

Also, I do not have to approve of murder, rape, cannibalism or infanticide in order to be allowed to play a third-person-shooter game. What you are implying is that anybody who plays anything more violent than supermario bros. is a hypocrite if he thinks video games should have ethical boundaries.

I dont think games should have ethical boundaries.

But for a mature game its still way to tame on allot of lvls still even for a horror/survival title.

I do sometimes feel bad - when I kill someone in the game or rob them and they turn out to be squeekers/persons under 18 years old (children). Because there are actual people behind the character and they talk, not just some NPC infected roboting around. And I feel bad playing together with these children as I feel they have no place in this rather mature game.

Exactly!?

They shouldn't have access to this type of game. But for some reason, Steam seems to be exempt from taking responsibility for this type of thing. Please enter a "fake date" for validation of your age.

But for a mature game its still way to tame on allot of lvls still even for a horror/survival title.

That's your opinion. Mine is a world different.

• Like 1

Very nice!

I hosted the original size for a larger pic...

ByYlynLCUAIcqKx_zpsbfa6fd0d.jpg

Did they ask permission to model my sexy frame?

L

• Like 1

I don't see why it would be wrong to implement very tough-to-kill child zombies. What, the fall of civilization is too mild to accept that, guess what, everyone dies? I don't condone rape or other activities as something that should be portrayed, but come on. Don't soft-step around a zombie post-apocalyptic game then become a prune when it comes to child zombies.

I don't see why it would be wrong to implement very tough-to-kill child zombies. What, the fall of civilization is too mild to accept that, guess what, everyone dies? I don't condone rape or other activities as something that should be portrayed, but come on. Don't soft-step around a zombie post-apocalyptic game then become a prune when it comes to child zombies.

Hello there

Weve been over the "kid zombie" thing before. Many times. I do dont have any moral issue with it as I can differentiate between real life and a game but it would cause "issues" in many circles and possible location bans so we are not likely to see it. It *could* happen but I wouldnt count on it.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

That's because you're clearly non compos mentis.

Edited by alphadogmeat

That's because you're clearly non compos mentis.

Im allot more sane than ppl may think of me. And i am nether confused or intoxicated lol.

Did they ask permission to model my sexy frame?

L

I didn't realize you were in your 70s Orlok. I would never have known because of how young your complexion is! You have been sacrificing ppl to maintain your youthful appearance haven't you?

• Like 1

I didn't realize you were in your 70s Orlok. I would never have known because of how young your complexion is! You have been sacrificing ppl to maintain your youthful appearance haven't you?

Shhhh, "sacrifice" is a word I dont like to use. I think of them more as "gifts".

L

• Like 2

Hello there

Weve been over the "kid zombie" thing before. Many times. I do dont have any moral issue with it as I can differentiate between real life and a game but it would cause "issues" in many circles and possible location bans so we are not likely to see it. It *could* happen but I wouldnt count on it.

Rgds

LoK

Legal issues? That's completely fine and I accept that, it's a business after all. I love the fact I got a straight answer instead of a long-winded, pseudo-moral speech. You get my beans.

• Like 1

I love the new zombie model, it looks insane. I just hope this is just the first one of many to come. We are lacking both on zombie count and variety right now.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty sure good designers can make these pretty quick ;)

Let's be honest here the chances of the devs actually having zombified children in the game are slim to none.

On the other side of the token this game has a mature rating and is intended to be for adults so who cares if they have children or gross depiction of violence as an adult you should be able to handle it.

Say in the rare chance they go for zombie kids then right on more power to them I will blast those little critters in the head and sleep like a baby and you know why ? because its a video game not real life and any sane person would be able to easily see the difference.

How many teenagers do you know that are sane?

Lets fast forward 10 - 20 years; when games truely are visually and immsersively much more realistic to capturing the look and feel of reality. Do you think capturing the simutlation of killing a child; the image of innocence will still sit well with you?

You made a very good point; no doubt Gibonez, but do you think every person out there playing such a simulation will process it in their mind the same way as someone as wise and mature as you or I?

Do you have any children of your own, or perhaps a niece or a little sister? Would the simulation of killing a photo realistic sprite of your own daughter still be something you could "handle" or even want to do?

Now let's imagine; the sprite of your child now talks like her too. In fact its voice is identical to that one of your own children, or other family member. Now so are her clothes and her personality; and she's not even a zombie any more but the image of a child survivor in every way; with the innocence of child shining through more than ever. This litttle video game sprite is now the virtual replica of a child family member you care about very much. It's mannerisms are that of your loved one in every possible way; as close to the real live person as you can get. Its personality reflect's that of someone who is scared and desperate for a father or mother figure to comfort her. Knowing that all of this is not real and just a video game would you kill it just because you can? I got news for you buddy; the above depication in the paragraph is a corner the video game industry will meet very soon; with growing realism and intensity; and it is one that most be discussed.

How do object to such violence towards children in video games? Should we even object?

How should we view the mentality of those who wil enjoy child murder scenarios of truely realistic simulations a decade or two from now. It's not real and never will be; with no reprocussions given to those who enjoy it. Does the discussion end there for you? Will such simulations affect how a person views a child or life in all its forms and glory in reality?

I think you may have yet to learn how paper thin the human mind is when it comes to sanity; and how quickly one can fall from grace and stay there for years if not permanently.

I honestly think you need to imagine how these scenarios can affect a slightly more out-of-tune mind; or the still developing minds of the children (Deathlove) who will and do play adult games regardless of their age rating.

The final point I want to make about your post is that you are right. Most people can dismiss it as a game and can tell the difference.

My point is what about the minds who can't? What about those who may unlock a dark fanatasy they never knew they had. What about those who object to such things for moral reasons?

I can't help but question the sanity/personality of a games developer who spends his or her time creating a child sprite for the sole purpose of it to be abused in one way or the other. Im not saying child death is something that should never be in video games; but it should be handled tastefully; with respect like the opening scenes in The last of Us; and not to view a child in a video game as cannon fodder simply because it's not real. In 10-20 years i expect this to be a topic that will have the video games industry hold a mirror up to itself.

Edited by Chiefo69

I just noticed this post. The fact the people other than myself question your mentality speaks volumes.

(Sorry for double post)

No but i question the fact that there would be no infected ranging form various ages. Ppl want realism but they don't want the darker subjects that come from it. Its rather silly to have any kind of zombie apocalypse with no range of age. Because you know viruses attack without discrimination of age, gender or race. Thats just the cold hard facts of something like that.

Regardless of your morals you have to admit as taboo as it maybe in the back of your mind that if this would happen and had anything less would be unrealistic in most cases. And besides ppl seem to have double standards. They have no issues with slaughtering an old man yet raise pitchforks about the other? Common theres some problems with you guys if you think killing old ppl is acceptable in a game lol.

You guys also forget your just slaughtering pixels not actual ppl. The way some of you get unnerved by this makes me question some of your own sanity issues. If a game like this is to much for some of you there are much much more tame games available in the market place. And i don't think horror is up some of your guys ally.

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

Symmetrical texture/texture mapping for the blood on the back of the arms, front of knees and back of legs.  That should be changed.

• Like 1

Would it really be hard to picture why no children or elderly survived to become zombies. 

Situation #1 --- Dead before chance to get infected. disease is spreading... children and elderly are easily prey for zombies and easily trampled by people escaping them.

Situation #2 --- children and elderly do get infected.... oops their weak bodies cant handle the infection they died instead of getting taken over by infection,

You guys also forget your just slaughtering pixels not actual ppl.

I have no doubt in reality a virus would infect a population indiscriminately regardless of any human morals. My point is; just because this is how it would unfold in reality; is it reason enough to replicate in a game without asking if it was wise to do so; and would this generate any mental health repercussions in doing so to some people; as well as degenerate the mentality of an already unstable person.

Should we simulate something we know to be immoral into a video game because thats where the truth is found?

Please read my longer post on page 6 about moral lines in video games and the potential future of the type of simulations we can expect to be presented with in the coming decades and share your thoughts please. Do you think a moral line should never be drawn in video games and if so why beyond reflecting what could happen in reality.