eukendwa

The 22 rifle

At one point I found a 22 rifle and had some rounds for it and could not find anything larger.

A larger caliber is going to deliver more punch per bullet so is more effective generally but is also caught up in the manly macho imagery and rumor. I had heard a lot of negative talk about the 22 in this game so I was not expecting the rifle to do me much goodl.

So off I went to an airport. I began encoutering more zombies and took the 22 rifle and shot each of them in the head. In each case the zombie went straight down. If I got their body they just kept coming with that zombie enthusiasm. It had to be a head shot. It was a reliable gun. At one point several came within a minute or so. By  keeping a bit of distance I was able to take them all down with that single shot to the head.

I did wish for a 22 magazine to speed up reloading but I survived.

So for those of you stuck with a 22 rifle don't give up hope or throw it away. If you have nothing else it can do the job if you take your time and keep a bit of distance.

Eukendywa

Edited by eukendywa
  • Like 1

At one point I found a 22 rifle and had some rounds for it and could not find anything larger.

A larger caliber is going to deliver more punch per bullet so is more effective generally but is also caught up in the manly macho imagery and rumor. I had heard a lot of negative talk about the 22 in this game so I was not expecting the rifle to do me much goodl.

So off I went to an airport. I began encoutering more zombies and took the 22 rifle and shot each of them in the head. In each case the zombie went straight down. If I got their body they just kept coming with that zombie enthusiasm. It had to be a head shot. It was a reliable gun. At one point several came within a minute or so. By  keeping a bit of distance I was able to take them all down with that single shot to the head.

I did wish for a 22 magazine to speed up reloading but I survived.

So for those of you stuck with a 22 rifle don't give up hope or throw it away. If you have nothing else it can do the job if you take your time and keep a bit of distance.

Eukendywa

The 22 is horrible.  The only thing going for it is it is quiet.  That way when you do fire it, you have a chance of not being heard/murdered.

If you bring that thing to a gun fight, I'll laugh at you.  I once knocked out a guy armed with a 22, took the weapon from him while unconscious, and popped one in his dome.  Most useful I have ever seen the 22 be.

• Like 1

The Sporter is inconsistent. 

Story time, motherfuckers:

I was in Novodmitrovsk and I came across two other players. They didn't shoot me in the face immediately, nor I them. So we traveled around the town together. I was armed with a Sporter rifle and a thirty round magazine. And my wits. And pants

The three of us came across a newish spawn, and though he had nothing, these two people killed him for poops and giggles. I decided that in retaliation for their heinous acts of murder...I would dispense justice in the form of capital punishment upon them at the opportune time. 

Minutes later we stopped by a street to make some backpacks, and it was taking them a while. They were still, stationary, staring at the ground. I took the opportunity to strike. 

The first player died in a single headshot, shocked as ever. The second player, taken by surprise at the spoonfuls of Wasteland Justice coming his way, took off running. 

As he was running away, I must have hit him twelve times. I watched his gear on his body degrade into Ruin, and I kept firing more and more. He survived, and escaped.

The moral of the story is that bitches be triflin' the Sporter CAN be good. It CAN be effective. But it can also be useless. It is not a consistent gun. It's just, right now, really nothing more than a zombie killer that might have some effect against the homo sapiens that aren't yet living out their existences post mortem.

• Like 3

The 22 is horrible.  The only thing going for it is it is quiet.  That way when you do fire it, you have a chance of not being heard/murdered.

If you bring that thing to a gun fight, I'll laugh at you.  I once knocked out a guy armed with a 22, took the weapon from him while unconscious, and popped one in his dome.  Most useful I have ever seen the 22 be.

You may not realize this but you aren't a zombie. Reread the article.

And no, I'm not laughing at you.

Eukendywa

I had always taken the sporter for a BB gun. Puny and worthless. But once in Svet I was armed with only the sporter and a 30 round magazine and managed to take down two axe-weilding psychopaths with it. One came from behind even. These guys probably also thought the sporter was useless as they were both carrying much better armaments but opted for their axes.

So, the sporter isnt useless, but compared to the other guns it is weak and lacking. If we could only put the long range scope and a bipod on it to even out those odds.

The Sporter is inconsistent. 

Story time, motherfuckers:

I was in Novodmitrovsk and I came across two other players. They didn't shoot me in the face immediately, nor I them. So we traveled around the town together. I was armed with a Sporter rifle and a thirty round magazine. And my wits. And pants

The three of us came across a newish spawn, and though he had nothing, these two people killed him for poops and giggles. I decided that in retaliation for their heinous acts of murder...I would dispense justice in the form of capital punishment upon them at the opportune time. 

Minutes later we stopped by a street to make some backpacks, and it was taking them a while. They were still, stationary, staring at the ground. I took the opportunity to strike. 

The first player died in a single headshot, shocked as ever. The second player, taken by surprise at the spoonfuls of Wasteland Justice coming his way, took off running. 

As he was running away, I must have hit him twelve times. I watched his gear on his body degrade into Ruin, and I kept firing more and more. He survived, and escaped.

The moral of the story is that bitches be triflin' the Sporter CAN be good. It CAN be effective. But it can also be useless. It is not a consistent gun. It's just, right now, really nothing more than a zombie killer that might have some effect against the homo sapiens that aren't yet living out their existences post mortem.

I like this. Patience and noble justice. :-)

I haven't tested to see how many shots a zombie can take with the 22. I figure it will be several. Didn't know there was a 30 round clip.

I once found the 22 pistol at a crash site but died before I could try it.

I had always taken the sporter for a BB gun. Puny and worthless. But once in Svet I was armed with only the sporter and a 30 round magazine and managed to take down two axe-weilding psychopaths with it. One came from behind even. These guys probably also thought the sporter was useless as they were both carrying much better armaments but opted for their axes.

So, the sporter isnt useless, but compared to the other guns it is weak and lacking. If we could only put the long range scope and a bipod on it to even out those odds.

I enjoy playing these games and putting restrictions for myself just to see if I can manage it. Make it more interesting.

I would want the large magazine and a scope if I were going to give it a go.

Would have liked to see the expression on the axe weilders face afterwards.  :-)

If you bring that thing to a gun fight, I'll laugh at you.

Which will probably be the last thing you do. Its a little harder because of the lower effective range and stopping power but its still a gun. With the 30 round magazine its on the same level as most civilian guns - they might hit harder but the Sporter has the advantage in ammo count (you won't have problems supplying this gun) and effective fire rate (due to very low recoil).

• Like 1

Low recoil and small dispersion values make the sporter worth while IF you can get the headshot. It's a very difficult weapon to field effectively, but can definitely be lethal in the right hands.

And as another said, players will underestimate you when they see a sporter. A sporter with a 10 round magazine has been my most effective backstabbing weapon. Armed players see a sporter and assume you're harmless: until they both get canteen shrapnel to the face.

• Like 1

I want to test the 22.

I want to see how well it preforms at knocking people out.

Might have a use if It can do that.

or maybe even a non-leathel leg breaker?

Mosin just kills people who get shot in the legs by it.

^ Tested and confirmed.

I want to test the 22.

I want to see how well it preforms at knocking people out.

Might have a use if It can do that.

or maybe even a non-leathel leg breaker?

Mosin just kills people who get shot in the legs by it.

^ Tested and confirmed.

I have to believe it could break a leg. Worth a test. I volunteer.

Youtube has a good video where a couple of guys did a reasonable test of the crossbow. They were having a good time and one of the guys volunteered for and arm and leg shot. The limbs broke. Can't find the link.

I agree a test would do well with the 22.

Edited by eukendywa

Which will probably be the last thing you do. Its a little harder because of the lower effective range and stopping power but its still a gun. With the 30 round magazine its on the same level as most civilian guns - they might hit harder but the Sporter has the advantage in ammo count (you won't have problems supplying this gun) and effective fire rate (due to very low recoil).

Sorry, shoulda said I'll laugh at him while I am shooting him, with just about anything other than that .22.  

Keep believing that .22 is a worthwhile weapon.  It doesn't do anything for your credibility, though.  I would rather run around without any gun, than be seen with that over my shoulder.  It makes me look like a potential threat, when I am not.  Or maybe I am, but not a very good one.  Budding at best.

As for the guy apparently only talking about worthiness in relation to killing zombies, shooting them should be a last-ditch effort only.  Unless you play alone, in which case shoot away.  Good way to get better at aiming with various weapons and cameras.

I've used the sporter a couple of times since 0.49 because the mags seem much more common. I got a spawn up near Novo and promptly found one and a ten round clip in a piano house. After making my way through Novo's streets and finding a 30 round clip in the police station. When I made my way along the northern highway to meet up with friends. Spotting a guy making his way through the trees on the edge of the roadside with a blue mountain pack, he hadn't seen me and I managed to break the guy's leg with a few shots. Ran up to him and socked him in the head with a fist to make him unconscious. Snatched his backpack with his pistol inside and then bandaged him up and gave him an Epi-pen (I'd had a stroke of luck, finding 3 in novo hospital.) its not a great gun, but not all weapons have to be. It has it's place as a starter weapon, and right now the mags seem common as hell.

i like the sporter, but i have only found 1 since 0.49, and i've found 3 mosin, 5 shotguns, 4 SKS, 1 blaze

anyone else find it's like the least common civilian gun? the one that i found wasn't even an original spawn, someone had traded it for a better gun (it was painted black)

I've either found the gun and no mags for ages, or come across multiple mags but no Sporter. Had to ditch the mags to make room. In the end, I kinda gave up on it.

I've killed quiet a few " Fully " gear players with it. The derp helmet slows you down, but once you get through that, It's all good.

The down side is you have to hit players in the head to do any real damage, which is unrealistic to begin with. However, it has very little recoil or dispersion, so you can smash a few rounds out in their face region, and still come out on top.

Don't get me wrong, come up against someone face to face and they have anything better, they'll probably win. But from 30-40 meters, and they're either too dumb to realize or not looking at you, You can win every time.

What I'm trying to say is, If you're a decent shot, and close enough, You stand a decent chance.

At the very least, It's better than running around with your dick in your hand screaming abuse at people.

Edited by Preach
  • Like 1

^This

And even with its quiteness it will STILL be the worst damn gun in the game until the stealth gets applied but even than not sure if that sound it makes will change the way the aggro plays out with the zombies anyways since they can still probably hear it.

dont under-estimate sporter.

1 shot to the head = dead (balistic helmet will save u , only knock you out)

30 round clip makes it the spam beast. 

people may laugh at you but they wont be running away when you break there legs or arms. 

22 ammo so comon. 

30 round clip . not so.

I play hard mode sometimes and take on ppl with a .22

got killed last night by a female player saying "hello, anyone there". secretly baiting people out so her 2 armed friends can murder people. 

i got shot 1 hit by .22 rifle. broke my arm. i couldn't aim my mosin steady and ended up getting knocked unconscious from the 2nd shot (yes he was reloading 1 at a time) that coupled with being stuck in close quarters with a mosin . i died. 

damn

Edited by R0B3RTF1SH3R

If we could only put the long range scope and a bipod on it to even out those odds.

Why would you put a long range scope on a short range weapon?

I mean some CQB red dot thingie would make sense, but anything with higher zoom seems pointless given the fact, that 22.LR has crazy bullet drop.

Same goes for bipod, for those under 100m shots do you really need it?

I mean it is up to anybody how he pimp out his boomstick, but to say that long range scope and bipod would make sporter a lot better, despite the fact it is ment for closer range, seems as fallacy at best.

I think that only thing holding Sporter down is it's magazines being so rare.

If we could find atleast those 5 or 10 rounds more often, I think Sporter could shine and became popular atleast along the coast !

Edited by Hombre

got killed last night by a female player saying "hello, anyone there". secretly baiting people out so her 2 armed friends can murder people. 

This is why you kill bitches like that without giving them a chance to react. Especially if there calling out to anyone that can hear them. More often than not if its anyone calling out about 90% of the time its just a trap.

Best to ether leave the area alone or hit them without them noticing you. Than book it and observe the area from a safer perspective to see if anyone else pops up.

Why would you put a long range scope on a short range weapon?

I mean some CQB red dot thingie would make sense, but anything with higher zoom seems pointless given the fact, that 22.LR has crazy bullet drop.

Same goes for bipod, for those under 100m shots do you really need it?

I mean it is up to anybody how he pimp out his boomstick, but to say that long range scope and bipod would make sporter a lot better, despite the fact it is ment for closer range, seems as fallacy at best.

I think that only thing holding Sporter down is it's magazines being so rare.

If we could find atleast those 5 or 10 rounds more often, I think Sporter could shine and became popular atleast along the coast !

Define short range.

Making 300-400m shots with the sporter is possible and a LRS and bipod would help not saying its easy but even at those ranges the .22lr has enough power to penetrate a motorcycle helmet and pierce a skull all the way through.

well yeah ive fired lots of .22 rounds. with and without scope. saying the .22 should not have a scope is dumb.

most small bore ranges are 50 and 100m, except the range of a .22 is well beyond that. 

I've been out shooting rabbits with a .22LR pump action with and without optics. Its also what I learned to shoot with. My dad had me hitting milo cans at 100 metres after a couple of days with open sights. Further with a scope. That was from a prone supported position however. Beyond about 130-140 it tends to drop like a lead brick though.

Entry level weapons like the Makarov and the .22 Sporter should have an abundance of ammo, that makes it up for them being rather underpowered.

Define short range.

Making 300-400m shots with the sporter is possible and a LRS and bipod would help not saying its easy but even at those ranges the .22lr has enough power to penetrate a motorcycle helmet and pierce a skull all the way through.

I'm saying Sporter is perfectly fine as close range weapon.

It has it's uses now and to say it's worthless without scope and bipod sounds stupid.

Anyway what's funny is, that you personaly was for having weapons that can NOT get any attachments.

I kinda thought that Sporter is perfect candidate for that category as simple low caliber rifle with relatively common ammo.