Zee_Panda

Gym advice

11 posts in this topic

Im 15 and wanting to hit the gym to gain some muscle and get fit, but im a complete newbie to this and have never done anything like it, I would like to know on what are some good work outs to get defined (if there are any work outs to get defined muscles) arms, chest, legs and stomach. Say if Im doing weights, how do I know when I should move to a higher weight, how many reps should I do. 

Can I still eat "unhealty foods" besides fast food if I work most of it off, will this affect me in any way?

If you could, leave some advice, tips anything to help me out.

Peace

get a personal trainer.. Me just giving you advice is not gona help. you need to get your Form Right and so on.

as for food.. to be defined is 80% diet and 20% workout, you will need to feed your muscle, your muscles never stop eating so you need 6 meals a day High in protein,

you're young so I don't think you will have to much issue with food just eat allot. but fast food is a no go 

Zee_Panda gave beans to this

There's a lot that goes into this buddy. It's not bad advice to get a trainer, but from my experience if you're willing to read and learn, that's not necessary.  I've been around the hardcore gym industry for many years and I feel that personal trainers are most helpful for those who a). have a lot of money to spare and b.) are not able to motivate themselves on their own or are too lazy to research and learn on their own.

You say that you want to be defined.  The short answer to that is that all you have to do is lose body fat.  That means low calories, clean eating with a lot of veggies, and tons of interval training, to be frank.

But reading into your post a little more, I'm guessing you're also implying you want to build some muscle mass as you're talking about weights.

I would need to know what your body composition is like now to advise you.  Are you overweight?  Are you a skinny guy who has trouble putting on weight?  Those would be the first questions.

There's a lot that goes into this buddy. It's not bad advice to get a trainer, but from my experience if you're willing to read and learn, that's not necessary.  I've been around the hardcore gym industry for many years and I feel that personal trainers are most helpful for those who a). have a lot of money to spare and b.) are not able to motivate themselves on their own or are too lazy to research and learn on their own.

You say that you want to be defined.  The short answer to that is that all you have to do is lose body fat.  That means low calories, clean eating with a lot of veggies, and tons of interval training, to be frank.

But reading into your post a little more, I'm guessing you're also implying you want to build some muscle mass as you're talking about weights.

I would need to know what your body composition is like now to advise you.  Are you overweight?  Are you a skinny guy who has trouble putting on weight?  Those would be the first questions.

Im about an average weight, not overweight or to skinny, I feel like I will have a hard time putting any fat on for the fact of my fast metabolism. Ill try and get my exact height and weight soon.

Workout a few times a week, have off days in between, and then allow yourself a 'cheat' day.  On cheat days, you can eat a small amount of food that you normally wouldn't the rest of the week.  So on off days, I like to have a good burger or something... (obviously avoid fast food burgers from mcdonalds, etc because those are just processed food which is bad for you.  but a good 100% beef burger grilled in the backyard rocks.  it's defintely a treat and allows you to focus on the other days to avoid eating junk, and remember your off day when you can eat what you want.)

As for workouts, etc.. it depends what you want.  If you want to run marathons, spartan races, etc... you probably want more cardio than weightlifting.  There are good apps on iOS and Android that ease you into a running routine.  Start off with running 3 times a week, and then add more days depending on how you feel, etc.  As for weightlifting, you only want to work one area of the body once-twice per week and not more... you need to allow your muscles to heal and rebuild on the other days.  So work on arms on monday, legs on tuesdays, off wednesday, shoulders thursday, back/chest friday and weekends off.  Mix in running on your off days.  Also, if you ever want to run and weighlift on the same day, make sure you lift first, then run.  You're weaker after cardio workout... so do heavy stuff first, then run.

Regarding food... if you want to gain muscle... you need high protein foods.  So eggs for breakfast, meat for lunch, meat for dinner.  You want to shoot for 0.5-0.8 grams of protein per pound of weight.  I'm 210, so I need about 150 grams of protein daily.  So you can use a high protein mass gainer protein shake daily to help you reach that goal.  Try Optimum Nutrition products.. pricey but great.

Good luck and have fun with it!  Don't expect to become muscular over night.  It'll take time, so be patient.  :)

I'd rather watch videos and ask gym members / staff for advice. Personal trainers are not cheap and often have inadequate knowledge. You can either go with full body workout 2 times a week or a 3 time a week split. Go easy on weights and make sure you do have correct technique. Take care with squats and dead lifts they are know to cause injuries to inexperienced and experienced alike. 

And remember, it's important to rest, no rest no gain.  As for supplements, diet before powders, they are an addition not a base. 

Edited by General Zod

Focus on freeweights and compound movements (this means many muscles at a time.) Stick to 4 sets of 10 reps for all exercises. Except for squats... Do squats til you puke!

Try out what I put in below for 4 weeks and see how you feel. Google the exercise if you don't know what it is. It's SUPER important to do these exercises correctly or you'll really hurt yourself.

Remember, you look like an idiot if you go in there and lift weights wrong, not to mention you're just wasting your time because you're not getting stronger.

Monday (Back & Bicep) - Deadlifts, lat pulldowns, one-arm dumbbell rows - dumbbell curls, olympic barbell standing curl, overhead curls

Tuesday (Chest &Tricep) - Flat bench press, incline dumbbell press, machine flys, pushups, - diamond press, skull crushers, rope extension

Wednesday (Legs) - Barbell squats, leg press, leg extension, calf raises. - Do situps until you puke.

Thursday (Shoudlers) - Military press, shoulder shrugs, Arnold dumbbell press, cable deltoid raises.

Friday (Light Arms and Chest) - dumbell curls, isolated cable curls, - Flat bench press, close grip bench press, dumbbell bench press, - diamond press, skull crushers

Saturday (Legs) - Repeat Wednesday

Oh and also remember diet is key. Exercising is 90% diet, 10% workout.

If it's not fresh don't eat it. No fast food. No chips or pop tarts. No candy bars. No zebra cakes.

Eat natural stuff and drink a sh*t ton of water and you'll see big improvements. B)

This is one of those things the DayZ forum can't fully answer, for best results, do a lot of research beforehand [lots of good advice on YT, bodybuilding/powerlifting forums and rugby/contact sports forums] and get professional advice from a trainer/gym staff even if it's just as you start out [utterly invaluable]. One thing I'd be weary of in your case is growth, a lot of people I know started lifting big at around 14/15 and stunted their growth pretty bad or sustained long term injuries.

Clean eating does not exist. its a myth. Tons of Interval training is also bad advice.

I am a newbie here. I hope my suggestion helps you in the future. I have seen many of my friends taking the élastique sportif from this website to keep their body fit and toned. Exercises are the best way to get fit. I am sure that you will also find it useful.