shutupwalter

How was your Day(Z)?

Much beans for the Kramer gif. I think that's the episode where they try to set up the homeless rickshaw business...

I thought it was from when he ran out of the comedy club... 

Spawn on the coast.  Last and first character post 0.58 update died on the dash inland desperate for food.  Grey and blurry vision from the intense hunger, pain ripping through my body as my vision blurred out.  Those berries were my last resort, and my last call before laying down in the field to sleep.  Z food.

Back to the present, spawned on the coast.  Quick run through the two nearest towns picking up a fire-axe, 2 tins of beans and a childs briefcase.  Constant rain leaving me shivering despite the heatpacks in my trousers and coat.  My body seems to spawn pristine paper like there's no tomorrow.  Round the corner and straight into a newly woken survivor. Black t shirt black trousers.  3 or 4 seconds spent facing each other before his fists raise and he runs at me.  The Dayz struggle ensues, 2 people trying to work out the hitboxes for fists and a fireaxe.  Eventually tshirt guy gives up trying to hit me and runs off.

Flanking out of the town and up the hill to the woods I get high ground and cover just in time to see him running towards a massive block of tenements.  I've been there - it's desolate.  Swinging gates and panicking birds your only accompaniment apart from your heart pounding in your ears.  No loot, a big party must have run through shortly before.

Staying in place until I know he's committed I turn and run north, thanks to the compass I found in the hunting post along with the canteen and a P1.  No ammo, too many guns to choose from.  A pristine splitting axe now hangs off my back along with a Winchester I found in the next town.  I feel vulnerable double carrying at this point.  I can't shoot any of my guns with no ammo and I must look seriously threatening.

Next town along, 5 minutes lying on high ground with bino's scanning.  Doors mostly shut - a good sign.  No zeds and surely no players and so the sprint into town begins.  Straight for the high value police station which yields press vest, Ammo and a shotgun.  Winchester slung over my shoulder now, double carrying on the loaded shotgun as the P1 (8 in the clip and a nice backup now) get's put in the large waterproof backpack I've stumbled across.

Moving up and out of town 1 last house to visit.  Fully stocked now and a loaded magnum is the cream on the visit to the town.  Winchester without ammo get's dropped and magnum now in hand, with shotgun loaded and slung on my back.  The Magnum will be less obvious from a distance for anyone trying to see if I'm running weapons out.  No evil intentions, just double carrying, but all the same - rather be safe than sorry at this point in my trip north.

Next building out of town and a snap loader for the shotgun is looking rather tasty.  Rounds for the Winchester now.  If only I could triple carry!  But wait, a saw and an idea.  I need the axe to chop firewood, but I also want the option of short and medium/long range weaponry.  Quick bit of work, and I now have a fully loaded P1, fully loaded magnum and sawn-off with snap loader in my bag.  Double back and the Winchester is just waiting for me to chamber it's big rounds.

I am now officially dangerous.  I can stalk, hunt and kill from any distance I feel useful.  Winter hunter pants and a green WW1 jacket in pristine condition (although soaked form the constant rain) are cover enough along with my camo boonie hat.  I'm kitted out with everything I need to kill cook and eat pretty much anything, yet I'm shivering almost to the point of hypothermia so it's time to find somewhere quiet to wring out my clothes, make camp and log out.

It's been nearly 10 minutes since I found the saw in the building north of town and doubling back there  I'm sprinting across the open field.  Maybe 25 meters from the door of the building another survivor fully kitted comes round the corner.  My heart goes from resting to pounding out of my chest in about half a second.  I really deserve to die for letting my guard down, I've been massively complacent without realising it but luckily while drawing his gun for his own protection he doesn't shoot.  The hay bale between us allows for cover for us both to retreat, while still being able to see each others positions.  Eventually I have enough distance to turn and sprint without risk of being hit.  I flank round the hill to the West, figuring he's headed South and me North, and indeed when I crest the hill and look back with the bino's he's running South the other side of the town.  Safe, for the moment, and my heart rate begins to dip back to normal realms.

Onward and North, my running the only thing keeping me warm and finally in the woods the trees start to thin out to reveal a great plain of nothingness.  I've made it from coast to plain and I'm alive.  Skirting west I find a small hut raised off the floor and bed down for the night.  Broken sleep awaits, waking at any crack of branches in the night, nightmares of hordes of infected, and survivor encounters.  Tomorrow I need to find a tent.  I'll have to do the thing I dread - moving through towns flinching at every sound.  My eyes close...Sleep...............

SM

A short encounter, but one that made me fucking jump out of my skin.

I spawned in at NWAF in a corner of the officers barracks (not my brightest idea).

As I spawn in, I see a FULLY geared player, just loading his gun, looking at the ceiling. I nearly pissed myself. So, I used instinct. Take my blaze, shoot him in the face. Take his AUG, ammo, and hightail it out of there.

I know, I know, KoS. But, if im spawning in, and I see a player less than 3 feet away in front of me, im not showing any mercy. If he's got his gun out at NWAF, most likely not there to talk.

I spawned in Svetlo, nothing there but dead bambis that had thrown themselves from the cranes. I go to Severograd and find a truck but lack the glow plugs so I cant start it. I go to the northern hidden base but its empty. I go to stary yar and find a hunting scope and some other stuff. I go towards Myshkino and find an unlooted heli crash. No guns though. I get to myshkino and the good stuffs been looted. At least i find a shotgun that someone had left. I only had a crossbow before. During my trip I meet two other players who dont speak and see two others in the distance.

This patch doesnt contain any action for me.

Ran up north.

Found a heli crash site

UMP45

Fuck yeah

Now in vybor

found a Smersh back pack (I didn't have a backpack)

Started filling it up with food and ammo

went to NWAF

looting a building

Guy walks in with MP-5

OH SHIT

I pulled up a CR75

He went fucking mad and sprayed

CR-75 > MP-5

RIP That Random guy

Checked for wounds didn't even get hit GG

He had a Worn smersh vest and my backpack was worn

Smersh backpack (And you know whats next Epic smersh vest)

he had a Aug

I had a suppressor

Now I have a Aug with 60 rounds and a suppressor

Found a UMP45 Mag and Optics in the same room 

UMP45 Is now decked

10/10 Would get fully geared in 65 minutes again.

Edited by Senodog

A nice session last night with a new comrade on our new 1/3PP Pub server. Welcome aboard ColdAtrophy!

Very casual loot accumulation since many of the server hoppers have not yet got the server in their sights yet. A few randoms dropped in as we were heading through checking out various landmarks and areas of interest. 

Had some massive desync with the truck, however... I'm not sure if anyone caught it on video or not but imagine being on a rollercoaster- and at some point in that ride you fall asleep but the dream immediately takes off from where you left off in your conscious mind. You take a hard corner and the track fails- the car and everyone in it are on a one way trip to the great beyond. Snap back to reality and the roller coaster is grinding up the next part of the track... perfectly intact. Comes over the highest point and starts screaming down the rails- but you don't know that you actually fell asleep again and started dreaming as you were on the ascent... You approach the turn at the bottom of the vertical drop and plummet right through the base of the track- people are screaming in fear with their last dying breath... Wide awake! All is calm- the coaster made the turn and is now approaching the loading platform to offload you and your group and take on another load of anxious passengers. Suddenly and unexplainably the coaster speeds up and while doing so jerks off the tracks and thunders through the line of happy onlookers- mowing them down like grass. Oh the carnage! Oh the humanity! 

You snap out of your cat nap and step casually off the coaster with your buddies and head down to the nearest concession- memories of your recent ride swirling around in your head. You order a Pepsi and take no small pleasure in hearing the crack of the can followed by the characteristic fizz of the carbonated beverage as it is handed over to you. Ah! The first pull on that crisp, dark liquid is always the finest. The cool, sharp fluid bubbles across your tongue into your parched throat. You run the frosty can across your forehead- but before you are able to take another long drag you realize it's not a Pepsi at all! It's PIPSI! 

The lines of reality and "RealiZ" have been permanently blurred... Nevermore will I ever be able to tell if I'm actually in the middle of an unsettling vehicle roll over or just springboarded into parallel realm from which I will rubberband at the mercy of rogue data packets.

It was kind of funny because Schwab and I were both affected by this phenomenon as ColdAtrophy navigated his way through the various roads and hazards of Cheranus. "We're fine... everything is fine," he'd say as Schwab and I bounded unceremoniously between universes. 

What he forgets is that before any of this happened he flipped us over while driving down the runway at the NWAF... 

"It was the trailer hitch looking thing, I swear! The one on the side of the runway." Oh is THAT all? Okay then! Home Jeeves! 

Our truck laid there like a beached Grey Whale with Dave still inside since he'd had to go AFK. The rest of us were able to amble out of our wounded steed. Cold and Schwab took a quick moment to run through a few nearby buildings. I pop checked and noticed a transient was among us so given that we were at the NWAF I took up a defensive position around the truck while they looted. 

I caught an ever-so-subtle glimpse of movement in front of the truck about 100m from my spot. "Are you guys in the field right now? In front of the truck?" 

"No-" 

"Pretty sure someone's here-" I said... no scope so unable to zoom in on the location. 

"We're coming!" Cold and Schwab instantly came rushing over and I tried to better describe the location. Cold offered to draw some fire to see if we could flush this pigeon out of hiding but saw nothing. "Maybe he logged?"

I pop checked and the transient was gone. 

We spent some more time touring the map and looking for base camp areas. Given that we're "in tight" with the server host and have great confidence in the state of persistence it's a little easier to invest the time in setting it up properly. 

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 3

Decided to go look for some action at the NWAF after finding more guns, ammo and food than i can carry. Hadn't met any players since the 4-ish ours i started playing again, so my guard was down. No zombies to shoot either, so at this point i just wanted to do anything with another player, be it trade or have a gunfight. 

Started looting the tents. I don't know why i was so greedy, cause i was already packed to the fucking max with everything i needed.

Whilst i was deciding what to take and/or leave behind, i hear a shot and see a bit of blur on the screen. I immediately realise some bloke shot my clothes to bits, but i still had a chance.

I turn around towards the tent opening, trying to get my MP5 out (it left the hotbar again, which happens when you drop it and pick it up again.) My attacker casually reloads besides the tent, appears again and blows me in the head with his shotty.

Dang, i need to work on my reaction times and perceptiveness.

Haha i thought for a second i'd discovered a new kind of AK / Mag til i realised that's just how the 2 un-related items spawned <_<

2015_08_29_00012.jpg

Started playing 0.58 regularly after it got stable. I thought it would be exhausting to find some loot after the character wipe, but it wasn't that bad. Equipped myself with a SKS, mp5-K, improvised backpack(I like the look of my character with this backpack, kind of looks like a real survivor, rather than looking like a damn tourist with a mountain backpack or some shit). Got a couple of legit pants, and jacket. It's all going good, but I'm STILL struggling to find a boar to get myself a wild boar pelt so I can get a improvised leather backpack for myself(+ 5 slots). Still haven't found any M4 yet, trying to get one.

YSo4W8e.jpg

I'm giving up on the officer barracks spawns. Unless you are outrageously lucky, they seem to spawn little if any loot. This is either because lootsplosions from the very early hours of the patch on some servers were fixed, and/or everyone just knows about them now. Best I got out of them was my beautiful AK101 in the early days of the patch. They are also viciously camped.

I've been hitting the crash site trail hard and have done ok, but no M4s (or SVDs...) and only a single UMP, which I donated to a buddy who fell down some stairs. Come to think of it I've seen no M4 stocks or guards at any of many (unlooted) US crash sites.

Lost a nice little stash up in the far north with a few pristine M4 parts and other goodies when the server just disappeared yesterday. Oh well - better remember to place my camps on reliable servers from now on.

It rains a lot. I'm glad of my Gorka clothing and keep moving...

• Like 2

I'm giving up on the officer barracks spawns. Unless you are outrageously lucky, they seem to spawn little if any loot. This is either because lootsplosions from the very early hours of the patch on some servers were fixed, and/or everyone just knows about them now. Best I got out of them was my beautiful AK101 in the early days of the patch. They are also viciously camped.

I've been hitting the crash site trail hard and have done ok, but no M4s (or SVDs...) and only a single UMP, which I donated to a buddy who fell down some stairs. Come to think of it I've seen no M4 stocks or guards at any of many (unlooted) US crash sites.

Lost a nice little stash up in the far north with a few pristine M4 parts and other goodies when the server just disappeared yesterday. Oh well - better remember to place my camps on reliable servers from now on.

It rains a lot. I'm glad of my Gorka clothing and keep moving...

I havn't found an M4 at a crash site at all in .58 or .57. Have had couple of SVD in my group from Russian crash sites. American sites have yielded new usmc clothing, UMP's, Augs and Stanag mags plus loads of boots / smersh stuff. Pro tip, the servers where bases always disappear randomly are likely some of the best ones to loot in ;)

I havn't found an M4 at a crash site at all in .58 or .57. Have had couple of SVD in my group from Russian crash sites. American sites have yielded new usmc clothing, UMP's, Augs and Stanag mags plus loads of boots / smersh stuff. Pro tip, the servers where bases always disappear randomly are likely some of the best ones to loot in ;)

Thanks for the pro tip , but I think you misunderstand. The server has been taken down completely. It is an ex-server. The IP no longer works.

That, and not wanting to contribute to the ongoing lag issue around camps, is why I'll be spreading my bases across three or four servers from now on.

I went from Berezino to NW airfield. Found some crap along the way but my main armament was an improvised bow I found in a house and ONE arrow. When I got to Stary tents I could swap it for a shotgun. There was nobody at the airfield but someone had parked a truck nearby and removed the parts form it. When I got to the prison building I heard someone rustling about in the unaccessable room downstairs so I logged out. How can that still be a thing? Its been a glitch since as far as I can remember.

I went from Berezino to NW airfield. Found some crap along the way but my main armament was an improvised bow I found in a house and ONE arrow. When I got to Stary tents I could swap it for a shotgun. There was nobody at the airfield but someone had parked a truck nearby and removed the parts form it. When I got to the prison building I heard someone rustling about in the unaccessable room downstairs so I logged out. How can that still be a thing? Its been a glitch since as far as I can remember.

Well I've logged out in prison building due to server restart or my connection timing out and this happens to me, meaning I fall through the floor to the inaccessible room when I log back in. This may not be relevant to your story but it still does happen, more than likely someone is waiting to get gear or easy kills from people who have no way to defend against this

Edit: this doesn't happen 100% of the time, maybe 2 out of 10 but I haven't researched it extensively because I try not to make a habit out of logging out in a high traffic areas

Edited by Tobias Winfro

Today i was passing behind Balotta on the way west when i saw a player running from the trees behind the ATC through the fence and around to the front of the ATC. As i was deciding how to engage i saw another player follow him at about 50m. Both were armed with melee weapons and aside from the potential of a pistol or a shotgun out of sight i decided they looked fairly harmless and went to investigate. I wanted to find out if they were friends using good spread tactics or one fairly new spawn hunting another. As i rounded the corner to the front of the ATC one player was just exiting the front door, so i proceeded with threat management and instructed him to lay down and remove all clothing for a brief search and let him know i didn't plan to kill him. I needed to try to track down the other guy without losing control of the first. When questioned Target 1 said he had been following Target 2 and they were not friends, "kill him if you want" he said. I instructed Target 1 to remain in position while i rapidly cleared the ATC and to his credit he did so. Did quick clearance of the ATC and decided Target 2 had logged out or exited down the rear ladder from the roof.

As i exited the ATC from the front i noticed Target 2 running south toward Balotta town from the west prison, and make a snap judgement to follow instructing Target 1 he was free to come help me catch Target 2 or leave if he so wished. Target 1 grabs his axe off the floor nearby and i see him running after me at about 50-100m as i sprint southwest toward Balotta town across the runway. I run through the ruins, dive under a gap in the concrete wall and turn right toward Balotta well just in time to see Target 2 exiting the well and running back toward me in the road, i assume trying to grab a quick drink and head east before i catch up to him. He says "Hey don't shoot me bro, please!" and i inform him he will not be harmed assuming he follows my instructions exactly. I take him off the road a bit and instruct him to remain still while i attempt to locate Target 1. I see his blue shirt in the ruins still and instruct Target 2 to remove clothing for weapons search.

Now it may seem as if i hadn't clicked that they might be lying to me and actually be working together, but believe me it was in the forefront of my mind the entire time. I just really wanted to find out rather than just egress and never know.

So.. when Target 2 says he can't remove his clothes due to a bug, keeps saying things like "wait" it becomes obvious he is stalling for time. I instruct him he has 5 seconds in which to comply or i will be forced to eliminate him as a potential threat, with some small apology i'm sure sounded quite hollow.

Then, of course, a bullet cut through the silence and my vision is instantly blurred. I ascertain quickly that i am not dead and that the bullet came from the approximate direction of the ruin (Target 1 you old dog). More bullets fly as i extend range in a weaving pattern but none connect, it's a pistol so the bullets stop after 10-15 rds. I sort out my vision (i still get glitch where i must unblur my own vision after a shock using the video settings menu..) behind some sandbags and begin to circle around the west of the town to re-approach along the coast side.

I eventually find Target 1 hiding behind the gas tank next to the well, he has picked up an MP-5 and a skull balaclava in addition to his pistol since last we met but alas he is looking in the wrong direction and not listening. One very satisfying temple shot later my revenge is complete.. I try to be a nice guy but this is a hard world we live in ;)

Never found Target 2 again, so potentially he had a great experience in all of this :D Later check revealed i had been hit 1 time directly in my ballistic helmet which had gone from Pristine to Ruined and turned grey :P Had heard recently that a helmet will not stop direct gunfire, mine did.. thanks helmet :D

• Like 2

Well I've logged out in prison building due to server restart or my connection timing out and this happens to me, meaning I fall through the floor to the inaccessible room when I log back in. This may not be relevant to your story but it still does happen, more than likely someone is waiting to get gear or easy kills from people who have no way to defend against this

Edit: this doesn't happen 100% of the time, maybe 2 out of 10 but I haven't researched it extensively because I try not to make a habit out of logging out in a high traffic areas

To be honest it has happened to me once too. But unfortunately a lot of people glitch into the wall somehow and kill people who cant see them.

Playing on greenscream friendly server. Running from berenzino north i decided to get some berries for my trek. Not knowing if blue berries were okay or not (forget which patch they were deadly) but last time i ate them i was fine. Well not any more! Funny taste in mouth. Run flat out to svetlo. I feel nauseous. Find a well and drink till i puke. No more sickness. Phew! As im filling up my water bottle a dude comes up behind me. He says Hi as do i. He says hes headed north. I say my guy was sick on blue berries but i threw up now its gone so i have to find food. He didnt have anything besides a balaclava. I had some decent cargo carrying gear with canteens and some ammo. Fireaxe, cr527 no mag or bullets. I decide to give him one of my canteens. He says thanks and he doesnt know where any food is but directs me to the orchard. I head over and start picking apples. Eat 2 and i thow up again. Sickness is back. My vision is going grey. It was at this time i have to log out very soon but i wanted to find that dude again. Only 4 people on the server what are th odds of me running in to one of them! I run through svetlo heading north shouting to see if he is still around. I do a quick search of the police station to see if there is any antibiotics or charcoal tabs. As i get back down the dude shows up.

I tell him my guy is sick as hell and doesnt have much time. I tell him to take my gear and have a good day. He cant believe what i just said. "You want to give me all your stuff??" I tell him yeah since he can use it and my guy will be dead soon. He thanks me and picks up the stuff. I ask him to kill me with the axe tho if he doesnt mind so i can respawn a bit quicker. He says he doesnt normally like to do this but okay lol i thank him and tell him to have a nice day and he finishes me off.

I felt like a million bucks helping that guy out. Im glad i was able to run in to him a second time in order for him to get all my gear.

I hope i run in to him again since i didnt think to ask his name! Lol

• Like 1

Found an Aug and coupled mag, found an UMP on a dead guy on another character but no mag. Also met a guy at a heli crash and we didnt kill eachother. Amazing

• Like 1

Had heard recently that a helmet will not stop direct gunfire, mine did.. thanks helmet :D

Ballistics do, at range, especially from subsonic rounds.

Thank's Mookie, i'll put it down to grizzly campfire stories from old survivors :) Still got that head bullet in my pocket for luck, everyone has one u know? ;)

DayZ has definitely changed for me lately... As .58 introduced an epidemic of server hopping around the NWAF we (Schwab / Cold / DaveB and I) decided we'd try to take a bite out of it one day at a time. 

It's not a particularly unique play style... but it has been rewarding in its own way. Granted it does take some patience since hoppers tend to gravitate to low / 0 pop servers and have a few spots to choose from. We can't cover them all at once.

Yesterday brought us a bunch of guys in short order and we took bites out of a couple of them but my shooting was terrible even as close as 300m. Generally you know you get 1 shot before people start doing the wiggle waggle all over hells half acre- One dude climbed up the tower next to the quonset on the west side of the runway which I thought was pretty ballsy. I gave him something to think about as he rolled around bleeding on the top of the tower. My range was off... so he survived the encounter but I'm pretty sure we gave him and his two friends something to talk about around the water cooler the next day. 

We had another guy pop up at the one in the tent area of the NWAF... but again he managed to wiggle himself clear and log. 

Today was frustratingly slow... but the contact we had proved to be the one that mattered. 

We've done a few things to slow people down a bit as they go into the quonset... One guy was wading through the obstructions in his own way and got drilled in the back of the head for his trouble. Turned out Mr. Greedypants had the weapon Cold has LITERALLY been scouring the earth for since .58 went stable: the SVD. Some ammo to boot! So that was good. 

I'm not sure the word is getting out because we're seeing a pretty steady stream of people dropping in and within a minute banging on the door of the quonsets. I did see one dude just head into the quonset and sit there for 15 minutes or so before logging. Clearly he was thinking he'd wax some folks as they walked in the door. 

As I was sitting there doing my thing I thought it would be neat to be able to craft a "target" that you could post up on a wall and shoot for practice. 4 pieces of normal paper (crafted together into one bigger one with duct tape), and a pen would be what was needed. You could then mount it wherever and do some target practice. I was CRAVING that as I waited. 

Not sure what others are doing but this camp building bug has put a real damper on what people are doing... so I think they're just passing time collecting gear and server hopping. And we're passing the time finding new and improved ways to kill them. 

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 2

If someone is inside the officers building "quonset?" you can shoot through the walls and hit them. The walls are just thin steelplating and all almost all calibers can shoot through them, even at range.