Sign in to follow this  
0.64 Freerider

Improvements for the **IMPROVISED BOW** (Quiver, Arrow Stack Limit, Range)

Improvements for the **IMPROVISED BOW** (Quiver, Arrow Stack Limit, Range)  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the improvements on the improvised bow?

• Yes.
    • No.

Dear developer team,

implementing the improvised bow was a fantastic idea in my opinion. It allows you to become armed quickly and take out zombies silently. There are some things at the moment though, that I'd like seeing improved on it.

1. Add a craftable quiver: e.g. leather + rope.

2. Arrows should be allowed for stacks of at least "20" (compare the volume to a water bottle).

3. Arrows length size is between 26" (66cm) and 32" (81cm) so it's much longer than a bottle. Should be 3-4 slots vertically.

4. Arrows should not be "loaded" into your bow like magazines, as that makes no sense, but much rather added to the quiver (which could hold "20") without having to reload until the quiver is empty.

5. The amout of time you pull back the bowstring, should define how far the arrow flies (clicking will make the arrow drop in front of your feet; pulling the bowstring all the way back allows for furthest distance).

6. Increase bow range to at least 30m.

7. The quiver could have it's own slot on the players back.     [add. by Evil Minion]

8. When arrows are picked up again they should be added into the quiver (with an animation).     [add. by GonzaNKetchup]

9. You should be allowed to move slowly with drawn bowstring. Letting go while moving however should make the shot inaccurate.     [add. by AP_Norris]

10. ...<--Your ideas!

Additionally, maybe increase the spawn rate of chickens and let them spawn in the north-eastern part of the map, as it will then allow freshspawns to get a very basic weapon. (It doesn't make sense implementing craftable arrows, when it's easier to find composite arrows than finding chickens).

As always thanks for reading and your attention!

Greetings

Freerider3434

Edited by freerider3434
  • Like 6

7. (Quiver could fill the melee slot)

I agree with all but this. In my opinion there should not be any magical slots at all. This means most melee weapons would require space in your inventory and most rifles should require a gun sling to carry on your back. In this regard the quiver should work like the storage for your bow as well by either working as "gun sling" (activating a "on the back" slot for the bow - which actually makes it a magazine-gun-sling-hybrid) or as some kind of holster. Either way the arrows should fit into it as well.

Now some items like the fishing rod or bow have parts that can be "misused" as slings so they might still fit on your back. So maybe the bow can be one of the few items that bring their own slot by default. In this case the quiver should either be a separate item or a chest attachment like the chest holster.

• Like 1

I agree with all but this. In my opinion there should not be any magical slots at all. This means most melee weapons would require space in your inventory and most rifles should require a gun sling to carry on your back. In this regard the quiver should work like the storage for your bow as well by either working as "gun sling" (activating a "on the back" slot for the bow - which actually makes it a magazine-gun-sling-hybrid) or as some kind of holster. Either way the arrows should fit into it as well.

Now some items like the fishing rod or bow have parts that can be "misused" as slings so they might still fit on your back. So maybe the bow can be one of the few items that bring their own slot by default. In this case the quiver should either be a separate item or a chest attachment like the chest holster.

Hello Evil Minion,

I completely agree with you. You are making a good point. I'm going to add your idea with the extra slot and remove the melee thing. (I had it in parentheses because I wasn't quite sure about it, wasn't my idea initially)

Greetings

Freerider3434

Let's not forget the thing about picking the arrows back On! :)

I looove playing with crossbow or bow, it's super super fun. 

Hello GonzaNKetchup,

I'm going to add it to the post.

Greetings

Freerider3434

When you go to retrieve arrows they could go right back into your quiver with a nice animation.

You should be able to walk while drawing the bow, but it moving while taking the shot should be inaccurate.

When you go to retrieve arrows they could go right back into your quiver with a nice animation.

You should be able to walk while drawing the bow, but it moving while taking the shot should be inaccurate.

Hello AP_Norris,

nice additions, I'll add both!

Greetings

Freerider3434

Do you guys think that the next update (0.49) will bring some news about arrows being able to grab again?

I haven't heard anything in any devs or twitch, etc, about it, maybe I miss something??

I really like the crossbow for example, but not being able to pick them up, makes you use it not as much as I would like.

Make a craftable non compound bow? have a look at youtube with a search for PVC Bow, this is what I'm talking about. Give it less range, less stopping power and harder to aim till you make the addons but hay it looks like a sweet weekend project to me.

im a veteran acher i can shoot with high accuracy whthin 40m after very much practice  in 0.54,but also many trouble .

1.in 0.54 animal Ai improved they are so smart that realize danger incoming whether i go access by sneak prone  or running,as my words,bow is not good at hunting wildlives this vision.

2.bow is a weapon without noise ,human arent able to hear that but zombies dont care at all, bowshot always attract zombies,as you know,most of our arrows are crafted ,they arent box-packed rounds,(arrow size in backpack amazing,so i think combine combine 15or 20arrows is possible)

And craft 5 even 20 arrows is very troublesome

(feather,stick,make them sharpe even install bone arrowheads.... why not improve the arrow-crafting system like VOLUME PRODUCTION with the "carft xxxxx  all")

and increase the number of feather from one search.in 0.54 we get only one from  coop with single search.....spend too much time near coop is very dangerous when many strangers in same town.if we dont have enough arrows ,how to hunt

so above all, my advice they are:

1.increase bow effective range and improve accuracy

2.arrows can be craft with a big number in single action when enough stuff 

3.increase number of feather in single search from coop(get 4-6 from single search at least i think)

4.can combine 15or 20arrows in one group(more than 15 also can be lol) 

5.drive zombies have no interest in acher who shoot

6.arrow sack ----if developer team have enough time 

looking forward to DAYZ better,thx for reading.following pictures  the result about 40m medium-range shoot

post-227626-0-36137100-1425220579_thumb.

post-227626-0-45822200-1425220603_thumb.

Edited by PoleXionG

Dear developer team,

implementing the improvised bow was a fantastic idea in my opinion. It allows you to become armed quickly and take out zombies silently. There are some things at the moment though, that I'd like seeing improved on it.

1. Add a craftable quiver: e.g. leather + rope.
2. Arrows should be allowed for stacks of at least "20" (compare the volume to a water bottle).
3. Arrows length size is between 26" (66cm) and 32" (81cm) so it's much longer than a bottle. Should be 3-4 slots vertically.
4. Arrows should not be "loaded" into your bow like magazines, as that makes no sense, but much rather added to the quiver (which could hold "20") without having to reload until the quiver is empty.
5. The amout of time you pull back the bowstring, should define how far the arrow flies (clicking will make the arrow drop in front of your feet; pulling the bowstring all the way back allows for furthest distance).
6. Increase bow range to at least 30m.
7. The quiver could have it's own slot on the players back.     [add. by Evil Minion]
8. When arrows are picked up again they should be added into the quiver (with an animation).     [add. by GonzaNKetchup]
9. You should be allowed to move slowly with drawn bowstring. Letting go while moving however should make the shot inaccurate.     [add. by AP_Norris]
10. ...<--Your ideas!

Additionally, maybe increase the spawn rate of chickens and let them spawn in the north-eastern part of the map, as it will then allow freshspawns to get a very basic weapon. (It doesn't make sense implementing craftable arrows, when it's easier to find composite arrows than finding chickens).

As always thanks for reading and your attention!

Greetings
Freerider3434

I agree with all your ideas to the expansion of archery but really the improvised ashwood bow is better than it should be for range, I say forget the improvised bow and add longbows, and compound bows. Both bows should have around a 60lb draw and the longbow should be less accurate until soft perks are added because in reality a longbow isn't easy to hold back if you're inexperienced. Therefore if you held it back you would become less accurate as the time continued which is realistic. Also they need to remove the current right, right, left Cha Cha slide bull sway and add it in just like the rifle because it's super silly that they have different sway patterns which makes the rifles a better choice. I want to be able to use an English Longbow to hunt game and players alike. Stealthy without taking 12 years to aim my shot because of the sway. Also with a longbow and compound, especially when soft perks are added, your character should become more familiar allowing him/her to draw arrows quicker, steady their aim more, move with it at progressing speeds (depending on how often they use the bow.), and allow them to launch arrows further with less effort (I do realize it's all about the weight of the draw on a bow which allows it to project further but the character should be more likely to shoot longer distances with more ease and accuracy after awhile.) Then to add a suggestion to the bow improvements, you should be able to make the bow more silent. Using this technique 

and using the in game Zmijovka Cap for the yarn/fabric for it. Then also if you listen whenever he draws back the bow, you hear the arrow sliding back and forth, this could be solved by duct taping the riser so that it's sleek and it's two smooth surfaces touching not creating much friction and sound. Would also help when hunting if you couldn't get the shot off too quick and your character starts to become unsteady. That's just my thoughts and ideas though I hope you like them.

I'd like to see three levels of reloading for improvised bows:

1) In hand arrows. It's well known that archers from many different time periods would not use a quiver for arrows fired in rapid progression- they would have 3-5 in their "primary" hand that is holding the bow string. These should be quick reload arrows.

2) in quiver arrows. these restock your hand arrows, and take 2-4 seconds to pull out of your quiver.

3) in bag arrows. These restock your quiver with animation.

-Colton

FYI - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g

The main issue with the improvised bow is that the pathetic range of it makes it only suitable for close quarters combat. A bow such as this should have a range of at least 50 m. This will make it more real and more useful, but realistically what we need is a harder to make, higher tier bow. A long bow

Long Bows can have effective ranges of 100m, and can fire arrows at least 200m away. Currently the improvised bow can barely hit a target at 30m.

TL;DR: NEED QUIVER, NEED MORE RANGE, NEED BETTER VERSION OF BOW CALLED IMPROVISED LONGBOW.

Lot of great ideas, hoping that devs find them feasible and interesting/ worthwhile.

Just wanted to add my +1

What we have right now is specifically the improvised short bow. I would not be surprised if eventually we're able to craft a different or long bow in the way we can now craft bone arrows. So I'm not as eager for improvements to the one we already have until we see what else may be planned. As far as the quiver, no special slot for it, it has to use an existing one.

Edited by Ebrim

What we have right now is specifically the improvised short bow. I would not be surprised if eventually we're able to craft a different or long bow in the way we can now craft bone arrows. So I'm not as eager for improvements to the one we already have until we see what else may be planned. As far as the quiver, no special slot for it, it has to use an existing one.

It depends on which type of quiver we're using. A quiver on the back is what most people think of, as it is more common in fantasy games/films/shows. However this type is generally inferior to a hip-mounted quiver, which is actually more common in real life. The hip-mounted quiver would usually hold more ammunition amd take up a curently nonexistent Slot (which would probably conflict with a hip Holster if it is ever added).

It depends on which type of quiver we're using. A quiver on the back is what most people think of, as it is more common in fantasy games/films/shows. However this type is generally inferior to a hip-mounted quiver, which is actually more common in real life. The hip-mounted quiver would usually hold more ammunition amd take up a curently nonexistent Slot (which would probably conflict with a hip Holster if it is ever added).

I am sorry, but where are you getting that "hip-mounted quivers" were more common in real life? Because they most decidedly weren't.

Among different cultures, maybe, but anyone that lived in a heavily wooded area probably used back-slung quivers. The Native Americans in the Eastern Woodlands almost universally used back-slung quivers. I prefer them as well, because back-mounted quivers don't swing around so much when you walk, or get stuck in bushes or trees.