Awruk

Are ragdolls physics server or client sided?

For example in games like Team Fortress 2 ragdoll physics are client sided meaning that when a player dies, his ragdoll maybe in a completely different place for a variety of players. It's made that way to save server resources because ragdoll placemenet doesn't affect the gameplay. In DayZ however ragdoll placement affects the gameplay because you loot the body. So my question is - if a player in DayZ days on top of a mountain and his body slides down, it's gonna appear the same to every other player?

I could honestly live without ragdoll. Anyone else? As far as I can see it mainly means expired zombies sliding up hills etc.

I could honestly live without ragdoll. Anyone else? As far as I can see it mainly means expired zombies sliding up hills etc.

I'm not a fan of them.

I'd be a fan of it if they could implement it as well as it was implemented in Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike Source... You know, those games that were released 10 years ago.

I'd be a fan of it if they could implement it as well as it was implemented in Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike Source... You know, those games that were released 10 years ago.

Half-Life 2 had way better ragdoll than CS:S but few games have ragdoll as good as HL2's.

It's client side, hence why you see different ragdoll effects than someone else.

At least they aren't as bad as arma 3 ragdolls I guess.

Yeah, but at least when the player is removed and a ragdoll near-instantaneously put in place it give you a quick visual cue that you've killed a man.

Rainbow 6 - Ravenshield did them very well, and many lols were had when tango's proceeded to kiss their asses.

Not a big fan of it myself either, I would rather they had spent that time upon something critical.  Don't get me wrong, I am not saying we shouldn't have it but it should have been some where near the bottom of the list of things to do.

Not a big fan of it myself either, I would rather they had spent that time upon something critical.  Don't get me wrong, I am not saying we shouldn't have it but it should have been some where near the bottom of the list of things to do.

One of the reasons they wanted it in is because it will allow them to do things like being able to drag bodies etc.  Not saying those are necessarily top priorities either, but it expands future systems they can implement, which is a lot of what these early implementations of systems are about.

I do agree however, there's a long list of things I'd rather see addressed, but oh well.

For example in games like Team Fortress 2 ragdoll physics are client sided meaning that when a player dies, his ragdoll maybe in a completely different place for a variety of players. It's made that way to save server resources because ragdoll placemenet doesn't affect the gameplay. In DayZ however ragdoll placement affects the gameplay because you loot the body. So my question is - if a player in DayZ days on top of a mountain and his body slides down, it's gonna appear the same to every other player?

I would that if it were server side the rag dolls would run at 1fps just like the item physics... so my hypothesis is client side.

Half-Life 2 had way better ragdoll than CS:S but few games have ragdoll as good as HL2's.

I'm pretty sure HL2 and CS:S had the same ragdoll.. It was on the same engine; though I suppose HL2's may have had more "features" included.

Client side.

An example would be I killed a guy at Green Mountain and my buddy ran about two meters away from where his body was for me and he said I wasn't anywhere near the body.

it give you a quick visual cue that you've killed a man.

There are zero "is he dead?" moments in the game now because he's not in the same position as an unconscious guy.

There are zero "is he dead?" moments in the game now because he's not in the same position as an unconscious guy.

Yeah i am one of those that believe that unconcious should rag doll aswell due to now that tension of is he dead has gone. It sucked but it made it so much more tense when i shot a guy who had been shooting at me and he fell in long grass and i drew close to check he was dead and he woke up and capped me with his pistol( i was way to slow as i was changing from sks to pistol to not waste my primary ammo)

That was back before rag dolls ( and wouldnt someone knocked unconcious go as limp as some one dead when they fell( i mean completely unconcious not just heavily dazed as the case is with many boxers.)

• Like 1

Its something little bonus that we got when the servers got upgraded to 64bit, not something they spent months of figuring out how to do.

That was back before rag dolls ( and wouldnt someone knocked unconcious go as limp as some one dead when they fell( i mean completely unconcious not just heavily dazed as the case is with many boxers.)

Yes.

I would think that at the very least the server would need to track the resting location of a downed body, maybe some of it is client side and some is server side. I would certainly say the actual ragdoll animation itself is client side.

Ragdoll needs a lot of work, but I believe it's for the greater good to have them.

And yes, I would love if unconscious players suffered from ragdoll as well.

Also players who leap from high places should ragdoll to provide for some entertaining suicidal jumping!