franzuu

Network bubble for sound.

I read somewhere that the devs are redoing the sound in DayZ, so I figured I'd finally make a topic for this.

Right now if a person outside your network bubble is blasting away with his gun then you won't hear it even if IRL you should (currently you often don't hear gunshots right next to you, but that is another matter).

Sounds should have a network bubble as large as their travel would be in a best case scenario, over water and upwind for example.

From there on the sound should be distorted by the sound engine. 

Stuff that should have an effect on sound.

1. Wind direction and speed.

2. Distance (duh)

3. Air temperature

4. Objects and terrain that is between you and the sound source (buildings, trees, forests, hills etc)

5. Type of terrain. Rocky terrain will cause more reverb and echo, dirt and grass will absorb more of the sound and be less echo-y.

6. Echo. As in bounce off of a hill, house, mountain and come to you. The initial sound + echo(s). Depending on distance and location 1 gunshot can sound like several. Amount of sound that comes back at you dependent on the angle of the surface the sound hit in relation to you and its features (rock vs long grass).

7. whether the sound originated from a confined space or the receiver is in a confined space (same as 4 really).

I don't know how much of this is practical but right now distance sound is atrocious. It was better in arma 2 (because of the lack of network bubble, but still bad) and is bad in arma 3. This is something that BI has never put much effort into.

Just make it sound good and believable. 

Edited by Franzuu
  • Like 1

I agree, especially the fact that it needs to be louder/heard from farther. I have shot many guns, and I know that a high-caliber rifle such as a mosin or m4 can be heard from miles away. This needs to be recreated in dayz. Zombies should immediately be attracted to sound, up to like 2 miles away or maybe even a little more. shooting an m4 in a large city should be suicide, they need to be much much louder.

• Like 1

I came on here to make an audio suggestion, I guess it kinda fits into this topic so I'll lay it out here.

"Echo's on the wind" or "Whispers on the wind" is the concept.

Think, Namalsk map and the ambient children sounds but take the concept and apply events actually happening due to players on the map.

If you lone wolf it a lot then you rarely come across anybody in the wilds of Chernarus.

Hearing distorted ambient sounds based on actual other player interactions (direct chat/gunfire/vehicles/startled animals etc..) in a given extended radius around the player would help to guide players towards each other. It would create/increase possible player interactions/tracking players in the wilds.

Even if this concept was applied to the status messages, like, "I can hear voices on the wind from the North" etc...or "I hear running animals close by on my left".

Just an idea, I think having it as actual audio "Echos" or "Voices on the wind" would be most immersive but the status message updates would also be a good 2nd choice.

Thanks for reading.