Sign in to follow this  
battlerhd

Is it to easy to gear up?

I don't know about other people but for me within 10 minutes of any spawn I can usually find enough food and water to get me hydrated and energized along with some form of weapon, not long later i have enough ammunition to last me a while and better/pristine clothes than the ones at spawn. 

Depending where I spawn does depend if the gear is some what military but I think for the past 6 spawns I have been placed near Svetlojarsk and just had a 5 minute walk to the airfield and found a backpack and military clothes and if I'm lucky there a SKS or a CR527.

• Like 5

To get gear yes. To get my preferable set up along with med equipment and what not no. That usually takes me a while longer.

I wouldn't entirely say so. I would find 4+ types of ammo before I find some for the weapon I am using.

If you think it's easy here, you should see the mod.

Edited by bonesnap
  • Like 1

I found the following within 20 minutes of respawning:

• a Firefighter Axe
  • two bags of rice
  • countless soda cans
  • countless fruit
  • countless cans of food (which I ignored because I had nothing to open it and plenty of other food)
  • countless Wool Coats and Shirts
  • a green Hoodie
  • a Motorbike Helmet
  • a Taloon backpack
  • an Assault Vest
  • Gorka Military Pants
  • two flares
  • an AKM
  • a box of 7.62x39mm rounds
  • two boxes of 7.62x54mmR rounds
  • a SKS

If I had found a AKM magazine as well I would have considered myself highly geared. So yes - loot is way too easy to find right now. Add server hopping and it becomes trivial.

Edited by Evil Minion

Lol, finds an AKM with clip within 20 minutes. You sir, are a lucky mofo.

I haven't even held an AKM yet since they've been added.

edit: Did you spawn at the town outside NWAF? Lol.

Edited by bonesnap

I wouldn't entirely say so. I would find 4+ types of ammo before I find some for the weapon I am using.

If you think it's easy here, you should see the mod.

Good god, the mod was just silly. There was like 5 different type of weapons with ammo next to them in every building you could go in

It's incredibly easy. Gritty survival horror? It's more like Supermarket Sweep at the moment.

It's so easy it's boring, Keen to see a finished loot spawn system and some balancing, although that will be a while.

• Like 2

It depends on what you are looking for.

Last char, I was trying to have a bow with crafted arrow... it's nearly impossible right now. I died before finding any chicken :(

On the other hand firearms are easy to get.

Edited by Papanowel
  • Like 2

I don't know about other people but for me within 10 minutes of any spawn I can usually find enough food and water to get me hydrated and energized along with some form of weapon, not long later i have enough ammunition to last me a while and better/pristine clothes than the ones at spawn. 

Depending where I spawn does depend if the gear is some what military but I think for the past 6 spawns I have been placed near Svetlojarsk and just had a 5 minute walk to the airfield and found a backpack and military clothes and if I'm lucky there a SKS or a CR527.

Depends with the basics yeah but military and a few of the other items it can take longer. Just depends on how heavy a place is hit when i stay on a server for awhile.

Did you spawn at the town outside NWAF? Lol.

Cernaya Polana - but I did not find an AKM magazine for over an hour thereafter. The AKM  was inside a wrecked UAZ on the junkyard.

It depends on what you are looking for.

Last char, I was trying to have a bow with crafted arrow... it's nearly impossible right now. I died before finding any chicken :(

On the other hand firearms are easy to get.

Yeah iv pretty much concluded that they need to up the chicken spawns WAY more for us to even find one.

This people is what the mods (SA modding) will truly be for.. Because of central loot economy, Im sure you wont see the "1,000 Vehicle, Start with DMR..." shit that happened in the old mod.. but Im also certain you will see server hosts that bring us mods of the SA that are something like, "RARE LOOT APOCALYPSE.. " where the chance of survival is very low, the loot on the server is very low.. and the Zed count is very high. 

But you will also see a majority of players wanting a game that you can regear up in, in a reasonable amount of time. Its fun for it to be tough, true.. but everytime.. or what about when its really hard, and you get on a server that has been picked over numerous times? What about the new player who just joined that same server and this is his first experience?

See, there has to be a middle ground. And the real problem is, as you get better at the game it becomes easier and easier to gear up. To the point of being absurd. So Im on both sides of this fence here. Im all for loot being the way it is, its fun that way.. not too tedious. But Im also in need of something more like what we get on those experimental servers when everyone has already run through them and they haven't reset in 4 days.. thats also a ton of fun. Getting excited to find a childs backpack is genuinely a nice experience.. but I would not want to be limited to ONLY THAT EXPERIENCE. ;)

Edited by lrish

Takes me longer to find a gun these days, but food is hardly ever a problem. I restrict myself from serverhopping though, deliberatly making it a bit harder. If the server is online for longer periods of time like "Oldschool DayZ Hardcore 4h restart" then it gets even harder. Imo the best server. I also find it kind of "hard" to find a hoodie in a favourable colour often in a whole town. Going to the airfield saves time really, you are guaranteed to find a SKS there and you drown it is ammo. 

The towns with their semi empty trashloot filled buildings where you have to crawl up stairs oh so often don't seem worth looting.

Let me edit in:

For me the main gameplay issue with dayz is proper progression of building up your character. I'm of course no game designer but I can not think of any elegant way to deliver this (maybe that's what Dean meant when he said that DayZ is an intrisicly flawed concept). The best possible way is if you keep killing and looting players that are slightly better geared than you. But of course this is not going to happen.

If they make the loot way rarer in cities, no experienced player will bother looking through countless empty houses, being forced to climb stairs, costing time, but everyone knows the loot can't stay as it currently is.

Edited by Khanarac

With the respawning loot I seem to find the bare necessities on even high pop servers. A lot of time when I don't have many inventory slots I'll pass up the Pipsi type cans (or drink them immediately if I don't think there's anyone around). I'm all about the tactical bacon and peaches, mmmm. 

"Oldschool DayZ Hardcore 4h restart"

This kind is the majority of servers I play on. Usually high population - I only join low population if a server restart kicks me out while inside a high yield area because I do not want to be spawnkilled. For the results... see above (though this one might have been a 2 or 3 hour restart server - not entirely sure).

Gear progression can be helped by a dynamic loot respawn system (taking into account player density and server population) as well as rarity-based loot management. This way the progress originates in the game dynamics - high value gear will be picked first leaving only low value gear in populated areas and mid value gear in other parts. So as a freshspawn you would have to live with the scraps others (including yourself before you died) left for you. When making your way to better loot areas you will find progressively better gear (as less people would have been there before and their average gear status would be higher) and if you got lucky you would even end up with a few high value parts. Getting fully geared out would require you to get very lucky, search for a very long time or take it from others.

Thats why I think spawning at the (east) coast is a good thing - you will have some natural progress simply by moving away from spawn areas for reasons mentioned above. At the moment those dynamics create an interesting effect on the SKS vs. Sporter 22. Spawning in the east both are quite easy to find but the Sporter requires a magazine freshspawns have no hope to find. So you pick the SKS and if you are lucky you even find some rounds. However making your way to the west you will find Soviet ammo taken by the increasing demand of AKM players while .22 rounds and Sporter magazines will be much more common. So for your own personal midgame its often worthwhile to pick up a Sporter 22 as your SKS will run dry and later replace it with an assault rifle.

Creating the right progress is a matter of economics, ecology and statistics. And thats probably the reason behind the central loot management they want to add. However, for this to work they would also need to deal with excessive server hopping as a way to "cheat away" the efforts to find high value gear.

So Im on both sides of this fence here. Im all for loot being the way it is, its fun that way.. not too tedious.

I agree. I like that mags are fairly rare, so gunfights are mostly composed of chambering rounds which leaves melee to be a strong option.

I axed someone on the yacht a couple weeks ago since they had to chamber rounds one by one.

note: I also generally play on max pop. hardcore servers that often have 4 hour restarts; so I find loot amounts to be just right.

Edited by bonesnap

Too easy? Well, it's not hard, that's for certain... but it's all about luck though. For instance, I died last night falling down a ladder, so I respawned - ran around three hours without finding anything really useful, except food and an axe, some rope, ammunition for weapons that I'd never find and a backpack. Logged off for the night. Logged in again today, found a Mosin and 60 rounds within 15 minutes (together with an additional mosin and a shotgun). 20 minutes after that I find a SKS. Within 10 minutes of finding the SKS I have found an AKM, 2x75 round magazines, 4x30 round magazines, 2x smesh bag, a tactical vest and some other random stuff. Don't remember the exact population of the servers, but I tend to go to mid to high-mid (20-30). Someone running the same route I did, ten minutes after me... well, they would probably be rather disappointed.

Loot will always (with this system) either seem very easy to come by or very hard to come by, depending on when it was looted prior to your arrival and what has spawned or what haven't spawned. But it's not very hard to run to where military grade loot is accessable, if that's what you're after and all you really just need to do as a fresh spawn is to find the 'food house' (in lack of a better term for it) and if you do and it's unlooted - you're pretty much set to embark on your journey to find other shit. For me, the hard part is finding matching clothes that are pristine, getting all pristine mods for the FNX, or a scope, bipod et cetera.

I suppose you could restrict access to certain areas that contain military grade gear, by having an increased number of zombies in said places - making it a necessity (or you could just run in and hope for the best I suppose) to gear up before venturing to those places.

When the Experimentals first came up with persistent loot I noticed it was much harder to actually find gear.  Let alone a weapon and ammo, finding food was hard!

It was before, now.. Not so much. You're luck if you go into a house without a swarm of zombies near you. It's ridiculous.

Of course. I hope it's only because of alpha.

Hope so as well... seeing comments by the dev team i sorta wonder how it will be come the full release.

"Imagine being independent of inhabited places with your own grown crops, meat and clothing from hunted animals.

Expanding on that vision there was a lot of talk recently about craftable leather clothing across the dev team and it seems it will became large part of the fashion in DayZ. Possibilities will be broad from crafting plenty of unique items from different hides or to produce tanned leather for more generic looking clothes with optional dyeing them to different colors."

Reading this in the recent blog, I get alot of questions and thoughts popping up in my head..

From this, its sounding as if alot of the gear we find out in the world currently, soon wont be as easy to find if crafting is to become a large part of the fashion in DayZ as they put it. (Its already been said that military weapons and rifles will be made very rare. Im guessing crafted items, melee and thrown items will be the easiest to come by.) Thinking about it more.. Tanning leather, dyes, different hides and what not... That as well as with the first sentence, crops. This sounds like alot of items that will need to be stored as well as being very much in plain sight of everyone who strolls by, pretty much setting you up to be a target to look for to log in.

Not to try and think too far ahead into all of this but i can see people possibly giving up on even doing any of this because of how easy it will make them a target. Unless.... they do get to implementing the underground base building idea that i havent heard much on in quite awhile.

Edited by cels
  • Like 2

The persistence enabled official servers are slightly more difficult as things stand but in general things are still very easy. I don't imagine it will remain this way but as things are it's trivially easy to reach a point of self-sustainability. This being said, one thing that keeps the game interesting is setting very specific gear desires or just that it's usually possible even after many hours with the same avatar to continually find an item that makes life that much easier for you. This part of the gear system is actually working well. For example, sometimes it just takes a long time to find a can-opener, you don't need one, but it's nice to find when you do.

For the record though, definitions of "geared-up" vary wildly. I consider myself "geared up" when I have a wool coat/rain coat, cargo pants and the ability to make fires and fish or hunt. That is to say, I can live off the land without looting and have at least a reasonable expectation to survive an encounter with any one other player.

Edited by Ebrim