banjo (DayZ)

Should Rocket go sooner rather than later?

Dean Hall made an awesome mod, of that there is no doubt. Original in concept it has spawned an entire genre and within a couple of years we shall have several zombie survival type games to choose from.

Now, during the holidays i was working as a kitchen assistant in my local restaurant and something happened there that struck me as relevant, a commis (trainee) chef made a salad, he took a few different elements and using his imagination he created a really tasty and quite possibly unique dining experience. The Chef decided to put it on the specials board and it sold very well indeed to so much acclaim it is now being placed permanently on the main menu along with the trainees name.

Now, if i owned this restaurant would i make this trainee my new head chef? on the strength of one great idea that proved popular? Of course not, that would be insane, he knows nothing about running a kitchen, he knows nothing about building and motivating a team, he knows nothing really about food and although he obviously has an imagination and raw talent he is not a leader of men nor does he possess the type of business acumen and experience required to make a kitchen run smoothly and efficiently.

Rocket was a junior coder who had a great idea, so great it made it as a mod to great acclaim and eventually his boss decided to add his idea to the companies main catalog, great, but where they have gone terribly wrong was thinking that having one good idea qualifies a person to be able to build a whole new business from the ground up, could it be that Rocket is not properly equipped to take his great idea from a mod to a full game?

I put it you that he is the wrong person to head up this project, he lacks the necessary experience and knowledge and as we speak he is busily F**king DayZ up, artists firing out content faster than the coders can plug the ever increasing leaks that constantly spring from the tired and out dated engine, Towns appearing all over the map, i call them towns but actually it seems more like a challenge to see how many different configurations of the same 11 or 12 enterable buildings can be produced before someone states the obvious and asks 'Hey, what about opening up the many unenterable buildings already present?'.

It seems to me that DayZ standalone is drifting aimlessly without serious direction or planning, the 'roadmap' has already been discarded and Rocket announced his intention to quit the game months ago, could it be that the wrong man is holding everyone else back? Is his pointless hanging on onlly muddying the waters and stifling other more energetic, passionate and more experienced individuals? what do you think?

Edited by banjo
  • Like 20

I mentioned this too.

When a person has a great invention, he does not manage the factory of the company that buys his idea.

Its best to just sell your idea and let professionals build and market it.

All the delays.... All the bad ideas like limiting loot across all servers...... This is all because Dayz is mismanaged and has inexperienced leadership. I feel bad for the devs who are taking the brunt of it.

• Like 2

I've always been a supporter of Rocket, but after reading this post, it makes more sense that someone else take over. His idea was and is splendid, however he just isn't going about making it properly. Too many pointless things being added into the game without enough priority on the major things (I don't really know how to word it any other way). Rocket did a good job starting all this up, his star lit bright, but it's time for it to go.

• Like 3

as soon as rocket announced his desire to walk away from DayZ it was inevitable that he'd become a lame duck leader, it's human nature we just lose fear and respect for a person once we know his days are numbered. In my opinion he seems to view this project not as the launch pad for his career, that was the mod, no, he views the standalone as some kind of obstacle that stands between him and his future.

• Like 2

I don't care if he stays or goes. I just hope DayZ reaches beta within the next year or so. And by "beta", I mean they should add all of the features Rocket said would be added, including companion animals.

• Like 1

This is funny...so much conjecture coupled with short memories as OP, Macdeath and others so aptly demonstrate.

Rocket has a long expressed desire to leave the project but being the figurehead who drove a large portion of the sales with his passion and down to earth kiwi mannerisms his hands are tied and he is under pressure to stay as Q4 draws closer and beta looks a long way off. It's wanting to avoid the abandoning ship shit storm, which is a total crock of shit. He is "off the street" as they would say The Wire.

Him staying is PR. I wish he could actually fulfil his stated desire to return to his family. It's the double edge sword of being an icon, the poisoned chalice to seeing your dream project come true.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 1

It will be in good hands regardless if Rocket stays or goes.

Heck it might even get better once more of the experienced Arma 3 devs transition over to dayz although I personally hope they stay on Arma since Arma is the most important franchise for BI.

• Like 1

Yes.

The direction of standalone, the general lack of progress and the many bizarre decisions all point to one simple fact, when it comes to developing a game Rocket has no clue.

• Like 3

..//..

Now, if i owned this restaurant would i make this trainee my new head chef?

..//..

I love these simple moral tales for very young people

well children, would you make the trainee the new head chef ? would you ?

and would you give Bill Gates a contract on the basis of a chance conversation while he was still a student with no track record ?

well children, would you ?

I love these simple moral tales where you have to give the right answer

and if you don't ... the teacher gets mad with you because you're dumb

• Like 20

I love these simple moral tales for very young people

well children, would you make the trainee the new head chef ? would you ?

and would you give Bill Gates a contract on the basis of a chance conversation while he was still a student with no track record ?

well children, would you ?

I love these simple moral tales where you have to give the right answer

and if you don't ... the teacher gets mad with you because you're dumb

Comparing Dean Hall with Bill Gates is truly insane and would strip any credibility from your post if it wasn't otherwise entirely nonsensical.

• Like 2

Comparing Dean Hall with Bill Gates is truly insane and would strip any credibility from your post if it wasn't otherwise entirely nonsensical.

I didn't dude, I compared 2 unknowns .. you have to pretend you don't know the names of these two guys in the story, see ?

It was perhaps too complicated for you ?

It seems OP was right to talk to down to you as if you were a tiny child who needs to have things explained very very simply using examples you can understand from the big world

He uses a drab, standard, boring rhetorical technique and his analogy is invalid .. I'm just AMAZED to see that it works

(with some people)

• Like 11

From that small salad may come a guy who ends up owning and managing a whole chain of restaurants, of course he will make mistakes as he learns as everyone does on his way up, but how else does he learn if he isn't given that chance?  If that trainee guy never gets that chance then we may miss out on a food chain that isn't just another shitty macas or kfc that churns out the same crud day after day. What it takes is the people above him to have the balls to let him loose or at least give him a go and let it fall where it may.

Of course you need to remember that the guy said ' i don't care if everyone doesn't like my salads, i'm making the salads i want, that i enjoy, if my salads fail then it is what is'

• Like 10

It never fails to amaze me the comments some people come out with, when so clearly this game isn't anywhere near finished (and I hate to say it but I will) it's alpha, most game developments don't show the end user this type of build, do you think all the games before this never lacked content during the alpha stages? Do you think other games never fell behind? Or they never took the wrong direction just to figure out that what they want the game to do isn't possible and have take a few steps back and change some things?

Like I said it's alpha and I'd bet this is rather normal for a game in this particular stage of it's development and then to blame the mistakes on 1 person is utterly dumb.

• Like 4

for my money OP makes some valid points, in no other industry would the creative mind behind an idea be put in full charge of overseeing its development through to market, play a role sure, sort of like an advisor to the project lead, or as mentioned before the idea is taken out of his hands altogether and given to professionals to make the vision reality.

Lets all wake up here shall we, eh? fanboys and haters just cool yer jets and look at this objectively, the towns example the OP makes is also spot on, how many more crappy little identi-towns they gonna put in at the expense of wilderness?  What use will tents be if you're never more than 2 minutes from a town? what use will vehicles be? perhaps that's the point.

i think rocket believed his own hype and is now out of his depth and it's showing, it was never the map that needed work, it was the engine and the zombies and the lag and the performance issues and the glitches and loot cycles.... and all we get is towns, lots and lots of towns.

Is rocket really the best person in the gaming industry to take this project forwards? is he even the best at Bohemia? I very seriously doubt that.

Edited by Beansy™
  • Like 5

for my money OP makes some valid points, in no other industry would the creative mind behind an idea be put in full charge of overseeing its development through to market, play a role sure, sort of like an advisor to the project lead, or as mentioned before the idea is taken out of his hands altogether and given to professionals to make the vision reality.

Lets all wake up here shall we, eh? fanboys and haters just cool yer jets and look at this objectively, the towns example the OP makes is spot on,

1.how many more crappy little identi-towns they gonna put in at the expense of wilderness? 

2.What use will tents be if you're never more than 2 minutes from a town?

3.what use will vehicles be?

4.i think rocket believed his own hype and is now out of his depth and it's showing.

1. People desperately wanted the map more fleshed out and were always saying how barren it was.

2. Most have wanted tents since release of alpha ..did you see how mad the servers went the first minute they were up when tents were first announced ? They are a huge part of the game and always have been whether you use them or look for them.

3. Ditto vehicles, they are a major draw for at least half or at worst a large chunk of the community.

4. My opinion is that Rocket has been pretty transparent the whole way through from mod until now, warts and all. He has always said it may all come crashing down and that it is what it is. I don't know how that translates into your statement of him believing his own hype.

• Like 6

I'm new to DayZ (been playing a few weeks, have a little over 200 hours in the Zed apocalypse). I started off by playing a game called "DeadZ" and that is how I learned about Dayz (and I watched FrankieonPCin1080p). In their forums Rocket's name came up quite a bit.

So far this game rocks, it's miles above the other Zed games I have played (MMO Zed games).

In the three weeks I have been playing a lot of good content has been added and the gaming experience has greatly improved. Give the devs some time and this game will become great. I hear a lot of people talking about abandoning DayZ for H1Z1 and I think that would be foolish. The H1Z1 devs have already acknowledged that they owe DayZ a debt of gratitude and if you look at H1Z1 you can see that most of it is just DayZ on a different engine with a few new twists.

Let's give the devs a little credit and keep supporting DayZ. It should be worth it in the end.

Edited by Schweinsteiger
  • Like 4

Lets all wake up here shall we, eh? fanboys and haters just cool yer jets and look at this objectively, the towns example the OP makes is also spot on, how many more crappy little identi-towns they gonna put in at the expense of wilderness?  What use will tents be if you're never more than 2 minutes from a town? what use will vehicles be? perhaps that's the point.

Can also be read as: me, me, me, me, me!

First it was 'money doesn't make a great game'

then it was '2mil products sold at 30$ ea where is my game'

then it was 'rocket's standing in the way'

then it was 'BI is poorly managed'.

Which is it?  is it any?  A strong captain will surely aid the ship, but one captain does not a ship make.  As others have said, who's going to take his place?  Who's in there now?  Do you even know the management structure of BI/Dayz or the development structure, or are we all just talking out of our asses here?

Looks like another 'where's my game' thread disguised in tasty salad.

• Like 5

it was pretty clear even before SA was released to the public that Rocket clearly had no clue how to lead a dev team..

his vid blogs and streams were so flighty and he was taken easily off track when he was speaking.. i have no doubt he works in the same manner as his blogs...

its no wonder nothings getting finished, he goes off on a new tangent every 5 mins..

" oh look something new n shiny..."

the only way SA ever has a chance of hitting its top abilities is by releasing it to the mod community.

look at Arma 3 Breaking Point as an example. its soooooooooooooo far ahead of SA its embaressing tbh.

• Like 1

1. People desperately wanted the map more fleshed out and were always saying how barren it was.

2. Most have wanted tents since release of alpha ..did you see how mad the servers went the first minute they were up when tents were first announced ? They are a huge part of the game and always have been whether you use them or look for them.

3. Ditto vehicles, they are a major draw for at least half or at worst a large chunk of the community.

4. My opinion is that Rocket has been pretty transparent the whole way through from mod until now, warts and all. He has always said it may all come crashing down and that it is what it is. I don't know how that translates into your statement of him believing his own hype.

What are you talking about? We would much rather have a fixed core, not tents and persistent loot. I didnt ask for new guns or new towns. I would have been happy if not one single new item was created in the last 9 months and they simply worked on a new engine and fixed the broken core........ Because they knew the game could not handle more zeds or a working core.

This whole idea that Dayz leaders were trying hard to appease the players makes no sense. Their job should be to fix the game.

Rocket isn't comparable to a trainee in a kitchen, he's had experience in the industry for a while now, as well as leadership experience else where.  It's not a very good comparison, because rocket has more experience than your trainee.

Not really insane, it is about the principle of judgement. I think you either do not understand or can not understand his comment.