hiniberus

What Video content do you look for in DayZ videos?

Youtube content that you look for?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Content Genre?

• Comedy-Solo (doing funny shit on your own towards other players)
    • Action-Solo (PVP battles on your own)
    • Comedy-Group (Funny shit w/ friends)
    • Action-Group (PVP squad)
    • Scripted stories
    • Exploration
    • Interaction with other players (Could contain a combination of 1-4 and regular banter)
    • 'Daily Life' in DayZ that may contain a mixture of the above

Hey folks,

I'm starting up this poll because I've started to upload my own DayZ content to youtube and I want this to let me know just what you guys are looking for. Just to do it as a way to see how I can continue to improve/expand my channel and obviously, provide better content for you folks c:

Funny shit, whether it be solo or with other people, always takes my fancy.

Funny shit, whether it be solo or with other people, always takes my fancy.

Thanks for the reply c: also, I had intentionally posted this in the general discussion because most of the people go there and I was hoping from feedback from'em ._.

Just don't post videos of your opinions on the state of the game as if you are the Voice of the People.

Sorry....just some YTbers (unnamed) really give me the shits.

Good luck to you.

I had intentionally posted this in the general discussion because most of the people go there and I was hoping from feedback from'em ._.

This is all about videos, I moved it here for good reason.

Why don't you post some of your stuff and see what the reaction is.

Myself I appreciate Guides that are clear and informative but some members have that down to a fine art.

I also like weird spooky stuff like the lantern guy with Burlap sack or the screaming defib suicide video, mostly random encounters.

So Guides and Random incidents, not so keen on the scripted stuff, it usually is not funny (although the maker may believe so) !

No profanity and whatever else do not scream or force laugh down the mic.

Voted Exploration & Daily Life.

I think way too many of the videos I find are focused on either grade-school style humor or banditry. Sometimes someone who thinks they are funny actually is, but only one in ten manages that. As for banditry, if I want to see that, I will just head for the coast and play. Sometimes it is interesting to watch the tactics people use, but on both combat and humor videos, there are just way too many of them for that to be a good niche. If you are trying to find what will get the most views, you have to do something unusual compared to the average person. Either edited/scripted or spontaneous, I can think of only a few who do stories and scenarios where they get partly or fully into a character for the duration of a video or several videos. In every case, the person in question has highly popular videos for doing so because of the rarity of it. Regardless, find what you can comfortably do and then look for an untapped niche within that framework.

• Like 1

I prefer to watch role-playing/humor of some kind with a group or solo. I enjoy watching videos where someone uses the environment as a prop--pretending to have a job in the factory in Berezino, trying to find a shop somewhere. I like the moments that bend the intended buildings/items for another purpose.

I've also enjoyed instructional guides though I find them less useful as I visit the forums and play the game extensively myself. But they were definitely helpful when starting out, and I still find some nuggets in recent videos as well.

Crass humor and cursing don't bother me since I swear like a sailor, but I can understand why it would turn some people off. 

Funny stuff, especially with an element of role-play.

• Like 1

Funny and PVP, both solo and in a group. Though I only watch PVP if it's 1PP.

Edited by solodude23

Just don't post videos of your opinions on the state of the game as if you are the Voice of the People.

Sorry....just some YTbers (unnamed) really give me the shits.

Good luck to you.

I'm not here to review the game, I'm here to play it and hopefully provide enjoyable experiences for the viewers, so no need to worry about that from me! 

This is all about videos, I moved it here for good reason.

Why don't you post some of your stuff and see what the reaction is.

Myself I appreciate Guides that are clear and informative but some members have that down to a fine art.

I also like weird spooky stuff like the lantern guy with Burlap sack or the screaming defib suicide video, mostly random encounters.

So Guides and Random incidents, not so keen on the scripted stuff, it usually is not funny (although the maker may believe so) !

No profanity and whatever else do not scream or force laugh down the mic.

Voted Exploration & Daily Life.

I've posted a total of 4 videos to this very section of forum but without a single bit of feedback or comment. So it's hard to go by without anything helping me out. I know the mic isn't great, so I have a good one on the way though! Ordered it just the other day!

I think way too many of the videos I find are focused on either grade-school style humor or banditry. Sometimes someone who thinks they are funny actually is, but only one in ten manages that. As for banditry, if I want to see that, I will just head for the coast and play. Sometimes it is interesting to watch the tactics people use, but on both combat and humor videos, there are just way too many of them for that to be a good niche. If you are trying to find what will get the most views, you have to do something unusual compared to the average person. Either edited/scripted or spontaneous, I can think of only a few who do stories and scenarios where they get partly or fully into a character for the duration of a video or several videos. In every case, the person in question has highly popular videos for doing so because of the rarity of it. Regardless, find what you can comfortably do and then look for an untapped niche within that framework.

I can understand that, I don't normally do KoS stuff, I much rather enjoy holding someone up, if they comply normally I'd let them live unless they really want to die. I don't try too hard for humor either so forcing it isn't quite my style. Though normally for it to get good I need someone on the same wavelength as me  to get things going. I know a clan who may probably be able to help on the scripted part, so I'd like to give it a try actually, one day c:

I prefer to watch role-playing/humor of some kind with a group or solo. I enjoy watching videos where someone uses the environment as a prop--pretending to have a job in the factory in Berezino, trying to find a shop somewhere. I like the moments that bend the intended buildings/items for another purpose.

I've also enjoyed instructional guides though I find them less useful as I visit the forums and play the game extensively myself. But they were definitely helpful when starting out, and I still find some nuggets in recent videos as well.

Crass humor and cursing don't bother me since I swear like a sailor, but I can understand why it would turn some people off. 

That's interesting, I'll totally give that a shot one time haha! Guides aren't quite my thing, I put them up to see how much interest there is in them. 

Funny and PVP, both solo and in a group. Though I only watch PVP if it's 1PP.

Understandable, I don't tend to PvP much and if I do, it's because the problems came to me (normally) 

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Nice to hear your voices on what you want to watch. If more people can post and vote, it'd be really good! 

A few tips from a fellow youtuber

1. Don't do what others are doing, do what you want to do, what you will enjoy, and what you think you are good at.

2. Most people will say they want 1 thing when in reality they don't know what they want and you will build a subscriber base off of people who enjoy YOU regardless of what you're doing. I've released 3-4 videos of nothing but player interactions and helping people. They were among my lowest view count videos. Even though people will bitch and moan about you KOSing someone and argue with you insisting youre a bandit and the scum of the earth the reality is those videos get decent viewa.

Highest view count = me accidentally shooting 2 of my friends, a test, a guide, and a test. Middle ground views = typical action and squad play stuff.

3. Production quality goes a long way but don't overdo it. Make sure your mic sounds good and your video is high quality and don't over OR under edit the videos. You want the viewer to be engaged and informed without getting bored.

And finally - be patient. Don't expect yourself to become an overnight sensation. Editing is a lot of work with very very little reward initially.

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 2

A few tips from a fellow youtuber

1. Don't do what others are doing, do what you want to do, what you will enjoy, and what you think you are good at.

2. Most people will say they want 1 thing when in reality they don't know what they want and you will build a subscriber base off of people who enjoy YOU regardless of what you're doing. I've released 3-4 videos of nothing but player interactions and helping people. They were among my lowest view count videos. Even though people will bitch and moan about you KOSing someone and argue with you insisting youre a bandit and the scum of the earth the reality is those videos get decent viewa.

Highest view count = me accidentally shooting 2 of my friends, a test, a guide, and a test. Middle ground views = typical action and squad play stuff.

3. Production quality goes a long way but don't overdo it. Make sure your mic sounds good and your video is high quality and don't over OR under edit the videos. You want the viewer to be engaged and informed without getting bored.

And finally - be patient. Don't expect yourself to become an overnight sensation. Editing is a lot of work with very very little reward initially.

I'll reply in point form, just 'cus you posted in it :v

1. I just do what I want really, though it's more of what's worth recording and what's not. I don't go out of my way to do something I wouldn't normally, if the situation's good I'll record it!

2. Quite true, though I do strive to not be too bad. 

3. Yeah, my mic at the moment isn't great but I ordered one off of the 'net and it should arrive within 2 weeks :D

I don't expect to become an overnight hit, I just thought 'If I enjoy playing games, why not share my joy with others?' type of thing. Games like DayZ are more unique in the sense that no playthrough is the same, so that's why I record that the most. 

• Like 1

I'll reply in point form, just 'cus you posted in it :v

1. I just do what I want really, though it's more of what's worth recording and what's not. I don't go out of my way to do something I wouldn't normally, if the situation's good I'll record it!

2. Quite true, though I do strive to not be too bad. 

3. Yeah, my mic at the moment isn't great but I ordered one off of the 'net and it should arrive within 2 weeks :D

I don't expect to become an overnight hit, I just thought 'If I enjoy playing games, why not share my joy with others?' type of thing. Games like DayZ are more unique in the sense that no playthrough is the same, so that's why I record that the most. 

Yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from, just thought it was worth mentioning. I think a lot of people start doing youtube videos thinking they're going to be an instant hit and then when they get 20 views on their first 10 videos or so they get tired of putting the work in and give up..They don't realize that a lot of the guys who are "big" made it big by putting in a lot of work and have some of the following things going for them, either they have other games they've played where they got views/subs, or they stream every day or several times a week so their subs/followers on twitch will sub them on youtube, or they have a team of people supporting them by making graphics, animations, thumbnails, splash screens, and other cool stuff for them.

I'd also recommend using Reddit, DayZ forums, and DayzTV to your advantage, but don't stop there. Post your videos on Steam and be sure to make them public. If you meet people in-game and have a friendly encounter, give them your youtube channel. Little things. Every subscriber counts, especially if you're making good quality videos. I'm still working on the science of properly naming/advertising videos so that people will want to watch them. Also, don't pigeon-hole yourself into 1 type of video. 

Don't misunderstand what I put in my last post ... Definitely learn from other youtubers and watch what they're doing right and what they're doing wrong... But don't live and die by their example. A lot of what will make you big fast is doing something that others simply aren't doing. Look at Merino's video on the Health/Blood Food/Drink system. He only made 9 videos, but they are all very well done and informative. He has between 15k - 100k views on each video. He got >6000 subscribers in the short time he was making videos, and with 332000 views, he probably made about 300 USD.. 

He hasn't been active in 5 months.. Imagine where he would be if he had stayed active for the last 5 months? 

The reason he got so big so fast is because he was providing information (and GOOD information) that nobody else knew/had, and he was providing it in a simple/clean format .. Everybody could use it.. It wasn't controversial.. It wasn't a matter of "opinion" or "taste".. Some people like my videos, some people don't.. but everyone liked Merinos videos because they were good information for everyone and you learn something from them.

I'm not saying make tutorials, although that wouldn't be a bad idea.. I'm just saying that to get subs you're gonna have to give people something they can't find elsewhere.

If subs aren't your goal and you just want to make videos for your own enjoyment I recommend just making them as good of quality as possible and doing whatever you enjoy, keep it simple and clean. 

• Like 1

Epic post

Yeah, at the moment I'm looking for people who'd do a freebie for the art that I can use in my channel and a logo for you icon + to put in my videos. I'm investing a lot on what's a decent sized risk here but I love doing this sort of stuff, it's fun! I get to play video games and the editing is time consuming, though not terrible to go through! I understand how much work it takes because I followed a youtuber from when he had less than 10k subs and now, he has 100k subs! I saw him grow over the two years to what he is now and still go further, to the point where he got a silver play button award from youtube a few days ago! 

If I had the internet capabilities to, I definitely would stream but where I am, upload speeds aren't too great... 

I'll focus on some more heavy-narrative stuff when the mic comes in, though yeah that's something to think about! 

Also I saw your Standalone episode 18, you seem to be pretty good though you should know, you can make a splint by chopping down a tree, splitting the wood to sticks and adding bandages. Just a tip c: thanks for your posts so far man! 

• Like 1

Yeah, at the moment I'm looking for people who'd do a freebie for the art that I can use in my channel and a logo for you icon + to put in my videos. I'm investing a lot on what's a decent sized risk here but I love doing this sort of stuff, it's fun! I get to play video games and the editing is time consuming, though not terrible to go through! I understand how much work it takes because I followed a youtuber from when he had less than 10k subs and now, he has 100k subs! I saw him grow over the two years to what he is now and still go further, to the point where he got a silver play button award from youtube a few days ago! 

If I had the internet capabilities to, I definitely would stream but where I am, upload speeds aren't too great... 

I'll focus on some more heavy-narrative stuff when the mic comes in, though yeah that's something to think about! 

Also I saw your Standalone episode 18, you seem to be pretty good though you should know, you can make a splint by chopping down a tree, splitting the wood to sticks and adding bandages. Just a tip c: thanks for your posts so far man! 

Yeah man, with that attitude and some time you'll do fine.. And yes, I'm aware of chopping down a tree and making a splint. I just figured my friends either had a splint or a morphine on them, and they did, I just cut it off before I got medical attention. :)

• Like 1

Yeah man, with that attitude and some time you'll do fine.. And yes, I'm aware of chopping down a tree and making a splint. I just figured my friends either had a splint or a morphine on them, and they did, I just cut it off before I got medical attention. :)

Ah alright, since there wasn't any mention of it thought I'd try to give a hand. Thanks for all the feedback so far mate! 

I like shorter edited videos more than long gameplay footage. Squadplay might be longer but it should be First Person. Watching wall peeking is not enjoyable at all and makes me feel stupid.

Edited by Evil Minion

This is a great thread with some really good posts in it! Beans given aplenty!

I'm giving youtube a go myself and am brand new to it. The learning curve is so steep it's untrue! My first vid was exactly a month ago today and it's going ok so far. I don't really think it will ever go anywhere but I really enjoy the editing and making of the vids, as long as that's the case I'll carry on. The buzz of getting even 30 or 40 people to watch something you've done is pretty cool IMO.

It's already been said but I think the best thing to do is play the game the way it's fun for you and make vids when something happens that you enjoyed. If u liked it, then there is a good chance some others will like it too.

Great thread OP!

• Like 1

Funny stuff, especially with an element of role-play.

Sounds like a fan of Mr.Moon !! :D

I like shorter edited videos more than long gameplay footage. Squadplay might be longer but it should be First Person. Watching wall peeking is not enjoyable at all and makes me feel stupid.

True, I do play hardcore too sometimes so I could make that a different thing :D the hardcore would be full-length vids, with the 3rd person being the edited shorts.

This is a great thread with some really good posts in it! Beans given aplenty!

I'm giving youtube a go myself and am brand new to it. The learning curve is so steep it's untrue! My first vid was exactly a month ago today and it's going ok so far. I don't really think it will ever go anywhere but I really enjoy the editing and making of the vids, as long as that's the case I'll carry on. The buzz of getting even 30 or 40 people to watch something you've done is pretty cool IMO.

It's already been said but I think the best thing to do is play the game the way it's fun for you and make vids when something happens that you enjoyed. If u liked it, then there is a good chance some others will like it too.

Great thread OP!

Thanks man! I saw the beans you gave haha :3 thankfully I'm part of a local community that are interested in games so I have about +50 views on all the ones I've released thus far. I seem to have a knack for it because I don't find much of a learning curve, there's things to learn but I wouldn't call any of it hard thus far! I'm lucky enough to even have a partnership with the said community admins who will help spread the word of my vids to the others and net me more views haha :D though regardless, if you enjoy it, keep it up. That's all I can say really :3

About the 'way' the game is played, I'll play it how I want to. It's more of just how to go about the editing process to see what content is good and what isn't.