Sign in to follow this  
damdifino

All Tents Wiped?

Long time lurker, first new topic (I think).

Here's my feedback tracker explaining the issue:

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=15893

"My group was finally able to find a tent and place it in what we believed to be a secure spot. The tent was there for 3 full days. We checked it multiple times per day to ensure that we hadn't been raided.

1) We noticed that Backpack Inception is now possible again (I opened a separate tracker for this). However, we put about 5 backpacks inception-style into the tent. When we returned after the first server reset, it had duplicated each layer individually inside of the inception-backpack (e.g. If the top layer is 5 with 4 backpacks inside, it would spawn a layer 5 backpack with 4 backpacks inside. Then, it spawned a layer 4 backpack with 3 backpacks inside, etc.)

2) The tent is now completely missing. I noticed the duplication and removed all items from the backpacks. I then threw a ton (50+) empty backpacks into a field in hopes that they would disappear. While I was doing this, my bandwidth was over 6000 and I was consistently receiving "damdifino is losing connection" and "No message received for xx seconds" but never truly lost connection. Once I fixed all the spare / inception-created backpacks, this resolved itself. We logged on today to find the tent completely missing."

So I follow the Dev tracker quite a bit and saw that this Dev posted on reddit about Official Servers Unable to Restart.  After posting my feedback tracker, I searched the user on reddit and found this:

[–]eugenhartonBuild & Environment Engineer [score hidden]

6 minutes ago

Okay so to clear some of the confusion, an issue cropped up making servers unable to start. This issue is caused by how the server state was saved. We fixed it today on internal build. One of the reasons to why we rolled only on some of the servers rather than the whole pool.

We already are planning a backup system for all shards, again another reason for the delay of deployment across all servers.

That is including private shards in the future.

Anyways, the data was gathered, analyzed and we found a solution. This exact issue should not happen again.

I`m sorry if this hit your saved gear. But this is exactly why we only rolled on some of the servers. Since the game is a whole different beast even after being tested on experimental.

So here are my questions:

1) If you just wiped everyone's tents, wouldn't that warrant a real post?  I know it's alpha (inb4 all the flame), but I feel that some communication using the official communication channels (i.e. not reddit) is in order.  We understand it is alpha and we expect to lose our stuff - which is the #1 rule in DayZ anyway - but don't make me dig for the answer when the Devs did it.

2) Why wasn't this post on the Dev Tracker on the forums? (I'm not sure how it is done.  Is it manually updated?)

Hopefully this will serve as some good information for someone out there.

Edited by damdifino
  • Like 1

Lol, I had three tents on three servers. Allgonenocry.

Also, jackass. Stop backpack inception.

One last thing...

Alpher.

The devs have always been awful at getting their information out in a professional way, it's scattered across multiple sources and always requires digging.  It sucks, and I think they should change, but it's been this way forever so I doubt it will.  At least there's the weekly updates now I guess, maybe this will be mentioned in that.

Any ways, thanks for exploiting and fucking up the server you were on, intentional or not =P

This is why if something seems shady, just don't do it to begin with.

• Like 1

I don't feel that a minor "wipe" as you're calling it warrants an official public announcement. It was a troubleshooting step > they used it > problem solved.

Am I the only one who haven't even found a tent yet? Haha!

How hard are you trying? Though it took me 21 attempts in 3rd Person my 1st Person char had to check over 120 deer shacks.

Am I the only one who haven't even found a tent yet? Haha!

Nope! I haven't found a tent and I've been searching two weeks straight. I usually check out deer stand and deer stand feeders (Is there really a difference between these two structures besides one having a ladder and the other having a ladder on a gentle slop that you can walk right into the stand on?).

Where are all these people finding their tents at?

Helps to be in a group.

We killed a fella in Bz police station and he had one. Along with his hacked M4.

The easiest way I've found is the three feed shacks NW of Balota. Check those three and rinse and repeat.